What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

University of Austin (1 Viewer)

Does America Actually Need a New Conservative University?

Although recently the proud president of a school devoted to the Western canon’s great books, Kanelos lamented the sorry state of American higher education. As the head of this new institution, he promises a commitment to three principles: the unfettered pursuit of truth; freedom of inquiry, freedom of conscience and civil discourse; and being “fiercely independent.” 

I'm strongly in favor of universities being non-woke.  I'm not in favor of universities being anti-woke.  It seems to me that UATX is planting a flag in the culture wars just like other schools -- they're just planting their flag on the other side.  These institutions shouldn't do this sort of thing.
I guess we'll have to see how they handle dissenting commentary. If they invite woke commentators to speak and then have faculty and students shout them down and threaten them during their speech, or start teaching religious doctrine in the classroom then we know they're no better. 

I'm strongly in favor of universities being non-woke.  I'm not in favor of universities being anti-woke.  It seems to me that UATX is planting a flag in the culture wars just like other schools -- they're just planting their flag on the other side.  These institutions shouldn't do this sort of thing.

I guess we'll have to see how they handle dissenting commentary. If they invite woke commentators to speak and then have faculty and students shout them down and threaten them during their speech, or start teaching religious doctrine in the classroom then we know they're no better. 
I'm not too familiar with the whole plan but would agree with Insein on this unless there are some documented instances of them specifically banning woke dialogue.

Where I think things get sticky to Ivan's point is that non-woke and anti-woke I think can occupy the same space in certain instances.  So lets just say the school does not allow the formation of demographic interest groups.  Is that being non-woke or anti-woke?  Is your distinction Ivan is that non woke should just occur organically, as in you wish it didnt occur but don't like the idea of specific rules or regulations to prevent specific "woke" practices? 

Thoughts on UATX?

One of the private Conservative discussions groups I'm a part of has talked extensively about developing a browser that filters out any business that associates with woke, cancel culture, identity politics, intersectionality and radical leftist ideology.

Take for example, if 50 million Conservatives and Republicans simply refused to purchase any Nike products ever again.

This is what Ben Shapiro is doing with the Daily Wire. When Gina Carano got cancelled, he reached out to her and asked her if she wanted to make movies with him. The Greg Gutfield situation bears watching. Gutfield is an entertaining and creative public figure, but his show isn't ground breaking. However the radical left and woke and identity politics have dominated late night TV for a long time now. Johnny Carson used to make fun of both sides. Now it's a pseudo lecture from Jimmy Kimmel on why Conservatives should be crucified in a public square. But Gutfield's ratings are spiking.

There were a lot of Conservatives and Republicans who didn't vote in the last cycle because of general apathy and the reality that Trump would polarize some away.

We are talking countless millions of consumers.

The radical leftist identity politics agenda is a sniper strategy. It's eliminating the career/earning capacity of one individual at a time. It's much harder to sell an entire organization as racist compared to one person while focusing on the media narrative cooking on one specific act or accusation.

I told Conservative groups that the best overall strategy is an orbital bombardment. Kill the platform and not focus on the individual.

Take FBG for example. ( The caveat being I support FBG as a business and a brand and a community and would not seek to punish them, but for a thought discussion, this is a hypothetical as it relates to everyone here)  If you disagree, wipe out the platform itself. Part of my media optics career was essentially platform killing. I can take 100 subscribers in 24 hours with the same coded exit message. That will trigger a panic from about cancellation 50 to cancellation 51. I can take 1000 subscribers in 30 days. I can demonetize the entire site and brand in 90 days. Objectively, on surface appearance, there are four major vulnerable points to subscriber retention. A cursory look at the social media accounts to individual analysts show four incidents of "cancel" catalyst material that could used to frame the narrative. Put the site and brand on a browser filter list and up to 40 million Americans could turn on their Internet and browse the web and this site wouldn't functionally exist for them anymore. That's over 10 percent of the entire population of the US. But I have no desire to hurt FBG. I am part of this community and have been for a long time. Odds are that under threat, I would actively protect this place rather than hurt it. But there are others out there with my skill set. That's the reality of the situation.

I support people voting with their feet and voting with their wallet. Platform killing is legal. It's actually good consumerism.

Here's the biggest problem. There are a lot of radical woke cancel culture leftists out there and even some here in the PSF who have taken for granted that the "cancel culture" won't do a total 180 on everyone. The GOP will take the 2022 Mid Terms and it's hard not to see them taking back the Oval Office in 2024. Do you think this constant attempt to cancel one side of the aisle is just going to magically wash away?

Would I support that? No, it's bad for America. Just like the current cancel culture is bad for America now. It doesn't magically become good for America because the partisan control of the weapon shifts. A toxic pathway to ruin the world that our children will inherit is simply a toxic pathway. Team Blue or Team Red at the wheel of it doesn't change the punitive damages involved.

Radical leftists here don't get it. The open battle cry to hunt Conservatives and Republicans only teaches them how to escape being prey. And what happens when the tables turn and the prey become the hunters? The easiest way to hunt someone is to know they would operate as prey. That's much easier when you've spent years as prey yourself first.

I'm not going to shout, "Let's Be Better"  But I am going to make a point that relates to all of sports, including football. When you have a team on the ropes, you put them down. You don't let them get up. The radical left's incompetence at wiping out the GOP for good and all Conservatives/Republicans for good is actually pretty idiotic. You don't let up in the 4th quarter. You make sure you enemy doesn't get a chance to come back.

I support demonetization and platform killing and having Conservatives/Republicans take their dollars and only support other established Conservatives/Republicans with solid intent ( There are bad faith actors on the right side of the aisle who are only here to be grifters)  I feel sorry for the radical left. More to point, I feel sorry for their children. When you are hunted, you don't get hunted alone. You don't get demonetized alone. It's not just your platform that gets killed. It all impacts the day to day lives of your innocent children.

For zealots, on either side of the aisle to be fair, I just plain feel sorry for your children. You've given them a world of utter chaos to inherit.

Conservative should only do business with other Conservatives when there is an option to do so. Same as many people like to support small local businesses in their own home towns. Same as some people prefer to buy products made in America that give other Americans jobs.

Conservative should only do business with other Conservatives when there is an option to do so. Same as many people like to support small local businesses in their own home towns. Same as some people prefer to buy products made in America that give other Americans jobs.
I’m trying to figure out how your last paragraph applies to trade as well as race and gender. 

Pardon the pun, but how is this fundamentally different from Oral Roberts, Bob Jones, Liberty, et al.?

This I think is super interesting and really not that much to do with this school.

Maybe my post should be in the "woke" thread.

But for me, I see people and organizations as pretty much the same there. 

I don't see it about being "woke" or "anti-woke". I just think they are what they are.

Some schools put tons of focus and importance on Football. Some on basketball. Some on golf. Some have a focus on conservative view. Many more it seems have a focus on liberal views. Some are super studious. Some have more of a party atmosphere.

I guess if it's a public institution that has ties to me as citizen. But for private universities, it seems to me more like a business decision for them. 

Does that make sense?

This I think is super interesting and really not that much to do with this school.

I don't see it about being "woke" or "anti-woke". I just think they are what they are.

Some schools put tons of focus and importance on Football. Some on basketball. Some on golf. Some have a focus on conservative view. Many more it seems have a focus on liberal views. Some are super studious. Some have more of a party atmosphere.

I guess if it's a public institution that has ties to me as citizen. But for private universities, it seems to me more like a business decision for them. 

Does that make sense?
I actually mentioned this plan by UTA in the "woke" thread several days ago. I don't see it as a "anti-woke" message as more of a "anti-censorship or free speech" approach.  I find it remarkable that this has to even be considered. Censorship has gotten totally out of control. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Does that make sense?
Sure, and higher ed in the US is a big enough industry that there's room for all sorts of institutions with different missions.  Maybe my post would make more sense if I made a similar argument about religious institutions.  There are lots of schools out there that are overtly Christian.  Notre Dame, BYU, and Baylor are three obvious ones, but there's also lots of small schools that have religious instruction as part of their mission.  It's sort of common for those schools (the small ones, not necessarily the Notre Dames of the world) to require faculty to sign a profession of faith as a condition of employment. 

That's fine -- I have no problem with the existence of those schools.  I just wouldn't want to work at one.  And I would strongly object to a public university that made "spreading the good news of Jesus Christ" part of its mission.  That doesn't mean that I want public universities to be hostile to religion.  I'm a Christian after all.  I don't want universities to dedicate themselves to Richard Dawkins any more than I want them dedicated to Billy Graham.  From an institutional-mission perspective, I'd prefer to work at a university that is simply neutral on the subject of religion, and I strongly believe that that's the appropriate stance for any publicly-funded institution to take.  In other words, I don't think public schools should be pro-Christian or anti-Christian.  They shouldn't be taking a side on The One True Faith.

Likewise, I don't think public universities have any business endorsing modern DEI/woke ideology.  If a private school wants to do so, fine.  We should put those schools in the same general bucket as schools like Wheaton, where we all just acknowledge that instruction is very heavily skewed by theology/ideology and we all take it with a huge grain of salt.  No problem.  Publicly-funded schools, however, shouldn't be listing things like "diversity and inclusion" in their mission statements -- people at those institutions can believe whatever they want, but the institution shouldn't be prosthelytizing on anyone's behalf.  

That "no prosthelytizing" rule applies to anti-woke people as well.  It's one thing to talk about free speech, free thought, and free inquiry -- it's kind of hard to run a university without some sort of commitment to those ideas, and if UATX strengthens those values in academia, that's great.  I worry though that the folks involved in this endeavor are more interested in fighting our current culture war than just affirming basic liberal values and getting out of the way otherwise.  I'd be happy if they showed me to be wrong.

I think I like these guys better than the Austin group.

Woolf University

We need to create new degrees, in topics that haven’t yet been invented, for jobs that don’t yet exist, supporting students across borders. But until now it’s taken years to approve of new degree programs and demonstrate they meet the standards required for accreditation.

Well how do you suggest we get political diversity at colleges?  Seems like an intractable problem without some sort of affirmative action.

Well how do you suggest we get political diversity at colleges?  Seems like an intractable problem without some sort of affirmative action.
You can tell how conservative a college is by their football program. 

Alabama, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Clemson - these are conservative schools. 

Wesleyan, Columbia, NYU, Texas - these are liberal schools.

It's going to take a long time to undo the current state of ideological capture in higher ed.  A good start would be eliminating required DEI statements of job candidates, which function as statements of faith and ideological filters.  Also, ditching "diversity" as an institutional value or subject of instruction.  Just go back to normal, secular inquiry.

It's going to take a long time to undo the current state of ideological capture in higher ed.  A good start would be eliminating required DEI statements of job candidates, which function as statements of faith and ideological filters.  Also, ditching "diversity" as an institutional value or subject of instruction.  Just go back to normal, secular inquiry.
Also - perhaps if the right would stop villifying students who want to go on and earn a PHD in one of the "useless degree programs" you may get more right leaning youngsters to go into academia. 

Three of the following words are related to each other in some definite way. Which three words are most closely related?

Columbus, Socrates, Beethoven, Wagner, Verdi, Corneille

A. Columbus, Wagner, Corneille

B. Beethoven, Verdi, Corneille

C. Columbus, Socrates, Corneille

D. Beethoven, Wagner, Verdi

Three of the following words are related to each other in some definite way. Which three words are most closely related?

Rome, Marseilles, Paris, Leipsig, Spain, Berlin

A. Marseilles, Leipsig, Berlin

B. Marseilles, Paris, Spain

C. Rome, Paris, Berlin

D. Paris, Spain, Berlin

Choose the word to fill the blank that most closely matches the definition provided.

The __________ case is that case of a noun used to express the direct object of a verb.

A. Gerund

B. Adjective

C. Dative

D. Accusative

More questions from the 1926 SAT test  - here

the moops said:
Also - perhaps if the right would stop villifying students who want to go on and earn a PHD in one of the "useless degree programs" you may get more right leaning youngsters to go into academia. 
Never.

the moops said:
Never.
Kind of hard to keep complaining then.

Righties - "hey kids, you need to go to school for a degree that will make you money. Business, engineering, etc. Don't waste your money on useless liberal arts degrees"

Righties - "why are all these teachers so damn liberal. we need an affirmative action program to get more conservatives into the teaching world!"

Righties - "hey kids, you need to go to work hard regardless of your chosen profession, and take responsibility for your actions and outcomes, its no one elses fault"

Lefties - "You cannot be successful, the world is against you, everything that goes wrong is because of white people"
 Fixed.
What does this have to do with what I wrote about lack of conservative voices in the teaching profession?

Knowing this, why would a liberal want to go there?  

Knowing this, why would a liberal want to go there?  
Conservatives are invited to speak at colleges all the time despite knowing what they'll face. I'd imagine if a university is touting itself as accepting of dissenting opinion, it would invite all voices on topics. Then the question is would the faculty and students try to shout them down or threaten them into backing out. If they do that, then they're no better than the current colleges. 

Conservatives are invited to speak at colleges all the time despite knowing what they'll face. I'd imagine if a university is touting itself as accepting of dissenting opinion, it would invite all voices on topics. Then the question is would the faculty and students try to shout them down or threaten them into backing out. If they do that, then they're no better than the current colleges. 
You looked at it in a different way than I did.  I do think both sides should be allowed to speak on campus - it’s part of the college experience. I looked it as why would a liberal want to go there (same with BYU).

You looked at it in a different way than I did.  I do think both sides should be allowed to speak on campus - it’s part of the college experience. I looked it as why would a liberal want to go there (same with BYU).
Yea my original quote was for speakers that come to visit. 

I think most colleges and universities have a pretty good mix of speakers.   If it wasn't for Charlie Kirk stirring things up and a couple other YouTube, shock value speakers I don't think this would be an issue.  

Most people coming to speak on campus really aren't political.  

Righties - "hey kids, you need to go to school for a degree that will make you money. Business, engineering, etc. Don't waste your money on useless liberal arts degrees"

Righties - "why are all these teachers so damn liberal. we need an affirmative action program to get more conservatives into the teaching world!"
So much this.   It's odd that people seem surprised that there are high % of liberal leaning people in the educational fields.   

Forbidden Courses

WHY THE FORBIDDEN COURSES?

• The Forbidden Courses Summer Program will prepare students for civil discourse by connecting contemporary issues to perennial questions.
  • The purpose of civil discourse is not to share opinions, but to shape and sharpen our understanding. When we engage in earnest and open conversations about contemporary issues and important human questions, we come to know both the world and ourselves better.
  • True conversation begins with intellectual humility. At UATX, we believe that progress in learning requires listening, deliberation, and ultimately, rational judgment. All ideas should be heard; but all ideas must also be backed up by reasoned arguments and evidence.
  • We will often be wrong. Changing one’s mind is not a mark of weakness, but a sign of intellectual strength and maturity. Moreover, allowing others the space to be mistaken, even as we try to achieve mutual understanding, is essential to establishing the trust that authentic conversations are grounded upon.
  • We call our summer program the Forbidden Courses because the current turbulence–political, social, and cultural–is forbidding us from encountering one another honestly and authentically. Those who are going to lead, to innovate, to create, must learn how to rise above the static noise of social media, of commerce, of ideology, to see the world with greater clarity. Most importantly, we must learn again how to learn from one another.
  • The end is not to prove that we are right, but rather that we can together, as thinking beings, move closer towards what is true. This passionate pursuit of truth, however elusive it may be, is at the heart of all of our programs.
How to Apply

UATX's Forbidden Courses Summer Program is a full-time commitment for undergraduates that runs June 13-17, 2022 and June 20-24, 2022 at Old Parkland in Dallas, Texas. Students may apply for one or two sessions (weeks) of the program. Students will take one course per session.

Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as possible. The final deadline to apply is Sunday, May 1 at midnight PT.

Age and Other Requirements

Applicants must be entering college in fall 2023 (and be 18 years of age by the start of the program) or no more than one year beyond their year of graduation from college. We will also be considering those recently graduated from high school (and are taking a gap year, etc.) and those who attended college but left prior to graduation. Applicants must be currently enrolled in college, confirmed to matriculate by fall 2023 (and be 18 years of age by the start of the program), or be between the ages of 18 and 24.

Cost

Due to the support of our generous donors, there is no cost to attend the program. Hotels, some meals, and activities are covered by UATX. A $300 stipend will be given to participants to defray costs from travel, some meals, and other incidental expenses. Any additional expenses will be the responsibility of participants.

Questions?

Please email summerprogram@uaustin.org.

Required Materials

A CV or résumé

Unofficial transcripts from any institutions of higher education that you have attended

Short bio (five sentences max)

Two academic/professional/personal references (optional; references only not letters)

An academic or professional writing sample of no more than 15 pages

Users who are viewing this thread