What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (2 Viewers)

I didnt know TSA isn't effective. Got any links? I'd like to read more tia

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump's at (-14.3) today approve - disapprove.  That's his worst showing in almost a year, and the trend is clearly down.  He's been as deep as (-21) before, so there's a lot of room to fall yet.

Trump's at (-14.3) today approve - disapprove.  That's his worst showing in almost a year, and the trend is clearly down.  He's been as deep as (-21) before, so there's a lot of room to fall yet.
Just wait.  Cohen's testimony is going to absolutely destroy him.

Also love the argument that "government doesn't do anything" as they force DHS, FBI, FDA, IRS, TSA to work without pay and the DOD and some others are exempted from the shut down all together.  So, just counting people who are IMMEDIATELY protecting the country or otherwise serving an indispensable role, there are a ton.  And that's without even touching on the areas with longer-term consequences.

Trump wants and needs a very public win.  He will probably get it because he literally does not care about it being shut down and the dems will cave to the pressure because they will finally put the workers ahead of politics.

Imo it’s all political at the moment. If he gets a big win, he will use it for the next two years while campaigning.  The dems don’t want that obviously.  

IMO this is a flawed analysis in a number of respects.

First, while it's certainly true that Trump does not care about the government being shut down in terms of how it impacts people's lives (because he simply doesn't care about people's lives at all), he does care very much about winning reelection in 2020 and staying out of prison. For that he needs at least reasonable approval ratings- maybe above 40ish% to have a shot at reelection- and a continued economic boom.  A prolonged shutdown would badly damage the prospects for both of those. That's why he's taking steps to minimize the impact of the shutdown on the day to day lives of Americans and catering to GOP financial backers like the oil and gas industry to ensure they'll fund his campaign.

Second, I think you've read the political winds wrong. The Dems are unified on this. Unlike with the GOP, there hasn't been a single break from the party line. This is likely because the public is overwhelmingly behind them on this, and they've got the President copping to the shutdown being his doing in the oval office in front of cameras and reporters, as well as putting 100% of the blame for shutdowns on the president during the Obama-era ones. They've also got the GOP Senators having voted unanimously to support the exact legislation they've passed through the House. Those GOP members- including the ones in swing states and/or up for reelection in 2020- will have to explain to their constituents why they voted for a bill in late December but refused to take up the same bill in early January.  They can only blame Mitch McConnell for so long. And if they eventually force Mitch to break with the president, the president would suffer the ultimate humiliation- a veto override despite his party having firm control of the Senate.

My prediction is that ultimately Trump will take some small concession or promise of a concession that will allow him to fake victory in exchange for signing a new spending measure.  Maybe a couple billion for "border security" or a smaller amount for new "fencing" or whatever. This will happen whenever the impact on the public reaches a breaking point- TSA mass sick-out, food-borne illness spreading, people not getting their tax refunds in a timely manner, etc. If we had a pool I'd probably take something mid-February.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

It is becoming more and more obvious that the Radical Democrats are a Party of open borders and crime. They want nothing to do with the major Humanitarian Crisis on our Southern Border. #2020!

Now ask yourself, why is he talking about 2020 in this tweet?

Because he doesn't want a wall. He wants an issue to campaign on.

Honestly, with the economy heading the way it is, what else does he possibly have to campaign on?

He's got 1 card to play: Fear

Honestly, with the economy heading the way it is,
It's Obama's fault.  He wanted credit a couple of months ago when he wasn't getting it, so he can have it now.

Of course the Democrat way is to blame everyone else anyway, so it doesn't matter.

NANCY SMASH!

This might actually get Trump off the ball. 
I dunno. Delivering an hour-long speech that doesn't even start until 9:15 has to be exhausting and annoying for a senile man who works 4 hours a day three days a week.  I imagine he wouldn't mind all that much just handing the writing assignment over the Stephen Miller and Vladimir Putin and calling it a day.

Plus it frees up another evening for eating too much fast food and getting angry at people on the internet.  I certainly can't throw stones at him for that.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

It is becoming more and more obvious that the Radical Democrats are a Party of open borders and crime. They want nothing to do with the major Humanitarian Crisis on our Southern Border. #2020!

Now ask yourself, why is he talking about 2020 in this tweet?

Because he doesn't want a wall. He wants an issue to campaign on.

Honestly, with the economy heading the way it is, what else does he possibly have to campaign on?

He's got 1 card to play: Fear
Thats actually a pretty good observation, imo

:thumbup:

It's Obama's fault.  He wanted credit a couple of months ago when he wasn't getting it, so he can have it now.

Of course the Democrat way is to blame everyone else anyway, so it doesn't matter.
...what? He inherited a booming economy, took credit for it, and then did nearly every asinine thing he could to tank it for no reason other than not knowing what the hell he was doing. 

Did you really put those two sentences together with a straight face or are you just pulling our chains?

Yup. 

He managed to get on my ignore after just three posts. Pretty blatant about it
I know you won't see it and I don't care, but I am so hurt.

Waaah. I can't read something from someone with an opposite opinion so I must put him on ignore.

And you guys say Trump is childish.

This whole thing is like a terrorist rounded up a bunch of hostages and is making demands or he'll kill them.  And really, he means it this time.

Except the people he's actually taken hostage include all the other terrorists.  And he can't kill just some of them -- either everyone dies or no one does.

So, yeah.  Nancy's going to keep telling him to pound sand until all the terrorists come out with their hands up.

Users who are viewing this thread