What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twenty One Pilots - They're a Band (1 Viewer)

cap'n grunge said:
They're no Cage the Elephant.
nope. 

Original? They're basically Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit
:confused:   aside from being bands that aren't all that great (although I do like some LP stuff) they aren't similar stylistically.

21 seems to be a less talented Walk the Moon or maybe Fall Out Boy.

Funny, these are the two 'newer' bands I like.
Have you checked out The Orwells,Royal Blood or Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats? They aren't all similar to 21P or Cage the Elephant, but they are newer artists worth checking out.

Cue the attack of the music snobs. 

The original band.

tumblr_nqksmacN2n1rwiivfo1_1280.jpg

nope. 

:confused:   aside from being bands that aren't all that great (although I do like some LP stuff) they aren't similar stylistically.

Pretty good comps.  I'm fine with them - they'll end up with 3 songs I like before they go away.

nope. 

I'll admit I only heard stressed out but it sounds like alternative hip hop to me.

Wow.  I tried Stressed Out, and don't think I have disliked a song that passionately in a long time...... until I listened to Car Radio.  Like nails on a chalkboard to my ears, but knock yourselves out.

nope. 

Rage against the Elephant is great

I had never heard any of their music before, so this thread prompted me to look them up and listen.  I found "Stressed Out" on YouTube.  After rinsing the vomit taste from my mouth, I decided well that is just one song.  I'll give it another shot.  I started listening to "Car Radio".  I couldn't finish.  My 11 yr old suburban white son can "rap" better than this guy.  I thought these songs were pretty awful, but hey, to each his own, I suppose.

Sort of like Suicidal Tendancies for #######
This is stinky bait. Tendencies, in their glory days, are now hailed as crossover legends. American Hardcore (decent movie) reserves a special spot for them. Good stuff. 

Venice, CA, represent. 

eta* I care so little about 21 Pilots I don't think I'll listen. Oh, okay, you got me. I'll listen. 

eta2* I think they played a show I saw. They sucked. I love the masks. They're like the Rip Offs. Only the Rip Offs were cool in 1994 -- this is 2016. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are some people really just hearing about them?

Been all over California radio and Pandora Indie/Alternative stations for months now.

Been all over California radio and Pandora Indie/Alternative stations for months now.
California radio and Pandora do not make cultural literacy, as it were. 

Some of us are into other stuff. I actually did see these guys at a festival and laughed and then dismissed it so out of hand I forgot about them. How's that?  

California radio and Pandora do not make cultural literacy, as it were. 

Some of us are into other stuff. I actually did see these guys at a festival and laughed and then dismissed it so out of hand I forgot about them. How's that?  
Since you asked, it's like you are taking it very personally.

Since you asked, it's like you are taking it very personally.
True. Sorry. Bad tone on that one. Poor writing. I hope there is no offense taken. I hated this band when I saw them, and couldn't remember who on earth they were. That they are something significant amongst the teen set makes me sad. 

No offense taken just thought it an odd response.

I have no problem with them, don't seek them out but don't change the station when they come on.  They have a couple catchy tunes and I can understand why they are on the rise.

They first charted in 2013 and have done national tours and TV appearances since 2014, so the "flavor of the month" description is amusingly ignorant.  The audiences at the 21P concerts I've seen live and on Palladia (now MTV Live) aren't a match for what others have described as their fan base.

If folks don't like their music, they don't like it.  if the first 21P song I heard was Stressed Out and immediately assumed they were a brand new rap act I might have had the same reaction.  But I was introduced to their work through their softer piano and ukulele-driven stuff and heard the more electronic songs with raps worked into them later.  So I see 21P as a versatile music act, with the bonus of them writing lyrics across their catalog that are worth reading.  I get how someone first hearing them on Top 40 radio hyped like a Top 40 act would respond differently, even if their tactics in disagreeing are more childish than they claim 21P fans are.

So I guess the cultural literacy test is to be so open-minded that cribbing old punk rock styles and co-opting them is what sets us apart from the benighted idiots who think it sucks. This is good work. 

So I guess the cultural literacy test is to be so open-minded that cribbing old punk rock styles and co-opting them is what sets us apart from the benighted idiots who think it sucks. This is good work. 
Not even close to representative of what others have been saying in this thread, but an entertaining read.

They first charted in 2013 and have done national tours and TV appearances since 2014, so the "flavor of the month" description is amusingly ignorant.  The audiences at the 21P concerts I've seen live and on Palladia (now MTV Live) aren't a match for what others have described as their fan base.

If folks don't like their music, they don't like it.  if the first 21P song I heard was Stressed Out and immediately assumed they were a brand new rap act I might have had the same reaction.  But I was introduced to their work through their softer piano and ukulele-driven stuff and heard the more electronic songs with raps worked into them later.  So I see 21P as a versatile music act, with the bonus of them writing lyrics across their catalog that are worth reading.  I get how someone first hearing them on Top 40 radio hyped like a Top 40 act would respond differently, even if their tactics in disagreeing are more childish than they claim 21P fans are.
21P, and Vessel's piano driven content is what I know them by. If people haven't heard that stuff then they are misjudging the band. The new album,which is now exploding, puts the band to shame basically and doesn't represent them well.  Funny how signing a new record contract does these things.

Sorry if I offended you, Makenzee.  Which one do you think is the cutest?

I had never heard any of their music before, so this thread prompted me to look them up and listen.  I found "Stressed Out" on YouTube.  After rinsing the vomit taste from my mouth, I decided well that is just one song.  I'll give it another shot.  I started listening to "Car Radio".  I couldn't finish.  My 11 yr old suburban white son can "rap" better than this guy.  I thought these songs were pretty awful, but hey, to each his own, I suppose.
If you vomited in your mouth after listening to "Stressed Out", I suggest not listening to a One Direction song. Projectile vomiting may occur. YWIA. 

Sorry if I offended you, Makenzee.  Which one do you think is the cutest?
Not my fault you don't have your facts straight, Drumpf.  I get that you're grumpy because you've gone a couple days without pissing on someone for praising a movie you haven't seen based on a book you haven't read.  Maybe you should go call one of those folks a ####### and a ######.  That should pep you up a bit. 

Probably should listen to more than one song.

21P, and Vessel's piano driven content is what I know them by. If people haven't heard that stuff then they are misjudging the band. The new album,which is now exploding, puts the band to shame basically and doesn't represent them well.  Funny how signing a new record contract does these things.
I'm real curious to see how the mainstream success affects this next tour.  They sold out a bunch of arenas and ampitheaters right after the dates were announced, and then Stressed Out broke out as a pop hit.  I'd guess Trees and Car Radio will still be in the setlist, but I'm guessing some of the uke melodies like House Of Gold and We Don't Believe What's On TV will be cut.  Migraine probably on the chopping block, too.

Not my fault you don't have your facts straight, Drumpf.  I get that you're grumpy because you've gone a couple days without pissing on someone for praising a movie you haven't seen based on a book you haven't read.  Maybe you should go call one of those folks a ####### and a ######.  That should pep you up a bit. 
Calm down, Bruce.

I really don't understand why you are continuing with the whole "cultural literacy" theme.  No one is holding them up as the pinnacle of creative, thought provoking musical geniuses.  I think the most favorable comments are along the lines of "I like them" but that really seems to have struck a nerve with you.

I would retreat to my zombie apocalypse bunker forever if OPM had come in here with praise for Twenty-One Pilots.

Hell I might have punched a homeless person in the face if OPM had just been neutral about them.

I know I said they sound like Linkin Park but I was wrong. They actually sound exactly like Fort Minor. Original my ###

Bruce Dickinson said:
Still worked up over the Disney price increases I see. 

Chaka said:
I would retreat to my zombie apocalypse bunker forever if OPM had come in here with praise for Twenty-One Pilots.

Hell I might have punched a homeless person in the face if OPM had just been neutral about them.
:shrug:    

I'm real curious to see how the mainstream success affects this next tour.  They sold out a bunch of arenas and ampitheaters right after the dates were announced, and then Stressed Out broke out as a pop hit.  I'd guess Trees and Car Radio will still be in the setlist, but I'm guessing some of the uke melodies like House Of Gold and We Don't Believe What's On TV will be cut.  Migraine probably on the chopping block, too.
Not sure. They are/were doing the Blurryface tour right now and then they will switch to a new tour involving all their content in the summer and not just the new stuff. That made us more excited.

Users who are viewing this thread