What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tre Mason (2 Viewers)

Mason is gonna be a good one as well....

I have he and Sankey ranked very close with Mason just behind Sankey.

I have the number 1 pick in a rookie draft and will probably go with the best situation of Sankey/Mason....

Working on first pass at comps and have got...

Mason as Kendall Hunter ++

Sankey as Donald Brown +

Suspect neither of those things translates into a strong long-term NFL #1 (or FF #1), but there's really not much to go on. So not really going to take a strong position about it. Mason is the better prospect though IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sankey as Donald Brown +

Suspect neither of those things translates into a strong long-term NFL #1 (or FF #1), but there's really not much to go on. So not really going to take a strong position about it. Mason is the better prospect though IMO.
Yuck. Who do you like at RB?

I think he look great on tape, can he pass block?
Have you read the thread?
No, I was watching his highlights and see some great moves. However he looks very small, I'm having a hard time believing he's going to be stonewalling linebackers. I can see him getting a few decent chip blocks in.

Either that or you're going to have him block and release into a route.

He definitely adds some flash to your Offense. He would be great on the Bears to spell Forte and catch a few of those dumpoffs that he catches. Steelers could use a guy like this if the price is right. I'm not 100% sure what round he'll get drafted.

I think he will produce with limited touches though.

Cosell: Auburn RB Tre Mason can be 'foundation back' in NFLBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

There was a time when former Auburn running back Tre Mason was viewed as just too small for the NFL, and he would have found it hard to argue as a 190-pound running back who wasn't exactly known for pounding the ball between the tackles. But that was a couple of years ago. After adding some weight and rushing his way to college football's biggest stage in January, Mason has made his share of believers in his ability to succeed at the pro level.

Enter NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell, who suggested Mason is big enough to not only play in the NFL but start and thrive in a base offense, as well. In other words, he's an every-down back.

"The guy who I'm most intrigued by in this entire draft class of running backs is Tre Mason from Auburn, who I think, even though he's about 208, 209 pounds, I think he can be a foundation back in the NFL," Cosell told Midday 180 Radio.

That praise is about as high as it gets for Mason, but Cosell isn't alone. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock ranks Mason as the fifth-best running back available in the draft. Mason rushed for 1,816 yards for Auburn last season, including six straight 100-yard games to end the year, including the SEC and BCS championship games. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has said Mason's 317 carries made for some sore Sundays for Mason last fall, but that his toughness allowed him to answer the bell every Saturday.

"Let's say you want to run predominantly three wide as your base offense," Cosell said. "I think that increases the pool of backs, because then running hard inside with power may not be a trait that's necessary to do that. So maybe a back like Lache Seastrunk from Baylor, or even a Ka'Deem Carey from Arizona, they may fall into that category. But if you're going to line up ... in base personnel, one back, two tight ends, or two backs with a fullback and one tight end, then I think there are only certain backs who can do that well and be a foundation of your offense."

Cosell also had praise for Ohio State's Carlos Hyde and LSU's Jeremy Hill, bigger backs than Mason who Cosell said could also handle a full-time rushing load. Cosell compared Hyde to Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell but said Hyde has more lateral quickness.

Hyde and Hill are Mayock's No. 2 and No. 3 running backs, respectively.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread

Like him, but don't love him. Think he's a little bit of a power/speed tweener. Not quite huge like a power back. Not quite a burner.

He looked really good at the combine. Looked like the best back there. On his game video, I don't think he's quite as impressive. Not bad, just not amazing. People compare him to Ray Rice, but I think Rice was more impressive with his cutting ability at Rutgers. He also ran faster at the combine.

I think Mason is still probably the safest RB in the draft because he has a solid overall combination of all the key variables. Others have a little more wow factor. Seastrunk certainly has more north-south burst. Williams has a crazier size/speed/explosiveness combo. Hyde and Hill are a bit bigger, albeit with combine warts.

Like him, but don't love him. Think he's a little bit of a power/speed tweener. Not quite huge like a power back. Not quite a burner.

He looked really good at the combine. Looked like the best back there. On his game video, I don't think he's quite as impressive. Not bad, just not amazing. People compare him to Ray Rice, but I think Rice was more impressive with his cutting ability at Rutgers. He also ran faster at the combine.

I think Mason is still probably the safest RB in the draft because he has a solid overall combination of all the key variables. Others have a little more wow factor. Seastrunk certainly has more north-south burst. Williams has a crazier size/speed/explosiveness combo. Hyde and Hill are a bit bigger, albeit with combine warts.
Size and running style, I see a less talented Emmitt Smith. He's both squirmy and powerful; knows how to find soft spots; can break the long one. He's still my #1 back, followed by Hyde and Hill

Sankey as Donald Brown +

not much to go on?

just big time production versus solid competition and great combine performances by both

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell has Auburn's Tre Mason rated as the top running back in the 2014 draft class.
We were impressed with Mason's lightning-quick feet and lateral moves in our own tape study, but concerned with his tendency to dance and apathetic pass blocking. Cosell agreed that Mason is "laterally quick" with "outstanding balance," and added that Mason is capable of functioning in either a power or zone running game. Mason is expected to be a second- or third-round pick.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell tabs Auburn's Tre Mason as his top running back in the 2014 class.
Most experts have fallen in line behind Ohio State's Carlos Hyde as the class' top RB, but Cosell isn't one of those analysts who succumbs easily to groupthink. Cosell believes Mason "can be successful in any system." Former NFL player Ross Tucker, the host of the podcast, said he saw in Mason a "good back who benefited greatly from Auburn's scheme and Gus Malzahn's offense." Cosell countered that Auburn doesn't run a typical spread and Mason proved his effectiveness in a variety of different running formations, proving that he can handle either a power or zone running scheme at the next level. The 5-foot-9, 205-pound back was a Heisman finalist after ending last season with 1,816 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns. He received a third-round grade from the NFL's advisory board after the season.

I get a similar feeling about Mason as I did Monte Ball last season. Good RBs capable of being the feature RB but lack of experience in pass protection will likely limit their playing time as rookies, which causes me to ding both players from the top tier of RB prospects.

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Auburn RB Tre Mason can be effective in any system.
"Whether it is zoned based, whether it is power based," Cosell said. "Whether you are going to run a conventional offense, with let's say one running back and two tight ends, or you are going to run a little more spread type stuff... I think he can be that guy in any offense." Mason was not asked to pass protect all that often, which is a critical piece in running back evaluations, but he is a physical runner. Cosell considers Mason the No. 1 back in the class.

Source: Midday 180

SI 64, Nos. 54-50: Carlos Hyde, Kyle Fuller, Bradley Roby and more

Doug Farrar

Excerpt:

No. 54: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn

In 2013, Mason broke Bo Jackson’s single-season school rushing record, which is as impressive as it sounds. He gained 1,816 yards and scored 23 rushing touchdowns on 317 carries, establishing himself as one of the SEC’s premier offensive weapons and one of the best running backs in the country. The conference’s 2013 Offensive Player of the Year ended his collegiate career with 195 rushing yards in the BCS Championship loss to Florida State, and felt that the time was right to declare for the draft after his junior season. In a class where there isn’t one clearly dominant player at his position, it could be a very lucrative move over time.

Strengths: Mason is a confident runner who hits the hole with speed and keeps his pad level low to drive through contact. Good array of foot fakes to keep defenders on their toes. Bounces outside quickly and decisively when there’s nothing for him up front, and he accelerates to another level in a big hurry. Shows obvious determination in red-zone situations — will put everything into it to get the score. Exciting open-field runner who understands how to drive his foot into the ground and keep momentum going when he changes directions. Keeps looking for openings at all times — Mason keeps his eyes up and forward in the open field, and this is where he gains extra yardage.

Not a devastating blocker by any means, but gives good effort in this area and can at least keep linemen and linebackers at bay in passing situations. Good one-cut inside runner in situations where there are openings, and when he gets past fronts into linebackers and defensive backs, he’ll be a real problem for defenses, because that’s where the size disadvantage becomes less of an issue. Adds value as a returner and receiver — especially in the latter department, his NFL team may use Mason more than the Tigers did.

Weaknesses: While Mason is built for power, he doesn’t have enough root strength to consistently break contact and gain extra yards that the truly above-average power back would. It’s not that he avoids contact — he doesn’t — but when he’s tackled, he tends to stay tackled, and you’d want more escapability in a first-round talent. While he does have second-level speed, there isn’t that hyper burst some backs (think of the 2,000-yard version of Chris Johnson) employ. Has occasional issues with ball security.

Conclusion: Mason is an interesting hybrid of the more traditional inside and outside backs — while he’s clearly fast and agile enough to be a primary back in an NFL system that features extra blockers, he might struggle in a single-back concept, because he simply isn’t physically strong enough to break contact — and if more weight was put on his frame, he might lose the speed and agility that make him special. That doesn’t mean that he can’t be a lead back in the pros; just that the NFL team selecting him will have to engineer his success formationally. This is what the Ravens have done for Ray Rice (heavy I-formation with a lead fullback for power and blast concepts), and I think Mason could be similarly successful.

NFL player comparison: Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens (2nd round, 2008, Rutgers)

Auburn RB Tre Mason needs wrist surgery after draft, teams toldBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

Auburn running back Tre Mason was a surprise visitor among NFL draft prospects in Indianapolis for a medical re-check, where it was determined that he will need wrist surgery following the draft and will not be available for initial team activities, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Mason is expected to be available for the preseason, according to Rapoport. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah indicated news of Mason's pending surgery would not affect his draft stock, but said it could be a determining factor for a team with another running back graded evenly. Jeremiah sees Mason being chosen in the mid-to-latter part of the second round.

According to Rapoport, a bone in Mason's wrist hasn't properly healed and will need to be surgically fused.

Mason tweeted Friday that he would not require surgery, but Rapoport reported that this is not what teams have been told.

Mason led the Tigers to a BCS National Championship Game appearance in compiling a whopping 1,816 yards on 317 carries as a junior last season, with 23 touchdowns. NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock ranks him as the draft's No. 4 running back prospect, behind LSU's Jeremy Hill and ahead of Boston College's Andre Williams.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Sankey as Donald Brown +

I would be surprised if Mason/Sankey weren't way better players then hunter and brown who look like career back ups... bad comparison.

Cosell doesn't even rank - and he probably didn't even do a serious study of Mason until after the season, so the question didn't really make much sense.

NFL teams say wrist issue not hurting Tre Mason's draft stockBy Dan Parr

It's looking more and more likely that the wrist surgery former Auburn running back Tre Mason needs is nothing for him, or NFL teams interested in drafting him, to worry about.

NFL Media's Gil Brandt reported last week that NFL teams he talked to said Mason would pass a physical despite the issue, and NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday that of the six teams he's talked to about Mason's injury, none said it hurts his stock.

Rapoport was the first to report that Mason would need surgery on his wrist following the draft and that it would keep him from being available for initial team activities. Mason's injury is a chronic scaphoid fracture -- a bone in his wrist has not properly healed -- and he's expected to be ready for the preseason, per Rapoport.

It was determined at an Indianapolis medical re-check for draft prospects that the bone in Mason's wrist would need to be surgically fused.

Mason, the SEC Player of the Year, has been projected as a second-day pick (Rounds 2-3). He's the No. 4 running back in NFL Media's Mike Mayock's position rankings, and Mason comes off the board in the third round (70th overall) to the Jaguars in Bucky Brooks' four-round mock draft.

He proved at Auburn that he could carry a heavy workload and still has the potential to play a big role as a rookie despite the wrist issue. If he does fall in the draft because of concerns about the wrist, he could provide great value for the team that ends his slide.

Cosell doesn't even rank - and he probably didn't even do a serious study of Mason until after the season, so the question didn't really make much sense.
Exactly.

Methinks someone wants to blow his own horn.

Again.
Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell has Auburn's Tre Mason rated as the top running back in the 2014 draft class.

We were impressed with Mason's lightning-quick feet and lateral moves in our own tape study, but concerned with his tendency to dance and apathetic pass blocking. Cosell agreed that Mason is "laterally quick" with "outstanding balance," and added that Mason is capable of functioning in either a power or zone running game. Mason is expected to be a second- or third-round pick.

Mar 26 - 8:10 PM
NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Auburn RB Tre Mason can be effective in any system.

"Whether it is zoned based, whether it is power based," Cosell said. "Whether you are going to run a conventional offense, with let's say one running back and two tight ends, or you are going to run a little more spread type stuff... I think he can be that guy in any offense." Mason was not asked to pass protect all that often, which is a critical piece in running back evaluations, but he is a physical runner. Cosell considers Mason the No. 1 back in the class.

Mar 28 - 11:14 AM

Source: Midday 180
NFL Films guru Greg Cosell tabs Auburn's Tre Mason as his top running back in the 2014 class.
Most experts have fallen in line behind Ohio State's Carlos Hyde as the class' top RB, but Cosell isn't one of those analysts who succumb easily to groupthink. Cosell believes Mason "can be successful in any system." Former NFL player Ross Tucker, the host of the podcast, said he saw in Mason a "good back who benefited greatly from Auburn's scheme and Gus Malzahn's offense." Cosell countered that Auburn doesn't run a typical spread and Mason proved his effectiveness in a variety of different running formations, proving that he can handle either a power or zone running scheme at the next level. The 5-foot-9, 205-pound back was a Heisman finalist after ending last season with 1,816 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns. He received a third-round grade from the NFL's advisory board after the season.

Mar 26 - 11:38 PM
NFL Films' Greg Cosell says Auburn's Tre Mason is the running back that he's most intrigued with in the 2014 RB class.
"I think he can be a foundation back in the NFL," Cosell said. The analyst isn't alone in his admiration, as NFL.com's Gil Brandt ranked Mason as the draft's best running back in January. The 5-foot-9, 205-pound back finished last season with 1,816 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns and was a Heisman finalist. Mason, who bolted school after his junior campaign, received a third-round grade from the NFL's advisory board. We think that's about right.

Source: Stationcaster

Mar 20 - 1:32 PM

Well, at least Cosell is consistent over the past week. More than I can say about a lot of other experts. :tebow:

He's a stud but highly situational dependant. I guess I don't see the Ray Rice (coming out of school) comparison at all.

Rotoworld:

The Nashville Tennessean says the Titans like Auburn RB Tre Mason.
Beat writer Jim Wyatt "really think(s)" Mason is in play for the Titans at No. 42 overall. It sounds like a reach, especially in light of the wrist injury, but the Titans do need backfield help. They're already on the record saying Shonn Greene will be a committee back.

Related: Titans, Shonn Greene

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Sankey as Donald Brown +

I would be surprised if Mason/Sankey weren't way better players then hunter and brown who look like career back ups... bad comparison.
Donald Brown was drafted in Round 1 - I'm guessing no one thought he looked like a career backup at the time either.

If you want to know about Mason's work ethic watch some tape of him two years ago when Auburn goes 3-9. He was the only player on the team that didn't mentally check out. He consistently did the most with an apathetic team than anyone I can remember. He does get walked down a lot but he rarely gets stopped for a loss. Yeah he rarely catches passes but that's got a lot to do with Malzahn's system. The speed backs (Onterrio Mccalebb, Corey Grant) are usually the rbs catching passes. Also the reason he isn't known as a good blocker is because Auburn's offense was devastating using play action. I personally think he's the second best RB in this class behind Jeremy Hill, but Mason is much safer in my opinion.

If you want to know about Mason's work ethic watch some tape of him two years ago when Auburn goes 3-9. He was the only player on the team that didn't mentally check out. He consistently did the most with an apathetic team than anyone I can remember. He does get walked down a lot but he rarely gets stopped for a loss. Yeah he rarely catches passes but that's got a lot to do with Malzahn's system. The speed backs (Onterrio Mccalebb, Corey Grant) are usually the rbs catching passes. Also the reason he isn't known as a good blocker is because Auburn's offense was devastating using play action. I personally think he's the second best RB in this class behind Jeremy Hill, but Mason is much safer in my opinion.
:goodposting:

Also that 3-9 team was a total OL rebuild from the all senior OL National Championship team.

His work ethic is fantastic - what I also liked is late in games last year he was still hitting the hole fast and looked to be in great condition despite getting a ton of carries - look at the SEC championship game. He put that away. And he did the same in the NC game on the last Auburn drive - had the game won for them. He was easily the MVP of that game if it went the other way. With a decent OL he could be a good player in the NFL. Auburn is a RB factory perhaps the best in CFB and if you come out of there topping Bo - you are good.

Not to nitpick but Auburn's o-line was the exact same the last two years with the exception of rt. Patrick Miller played the majority of 2012, Avery Young beat him out last year. It's amazing the difference a good coach makes. With the exception of Big Greg, they're all back this year too.

Not to nitpick but Auburn's o-line was the exact same the last two years with the exception of rt. Patrick Miller played the majority of 2012, Avery Young beat him out last year. It's amazing the difference a good coach makes. With the exception of Big Greg, they're all back this year too.
No problem - my point is 3 years ago they were all freshmen or leftovers because the 2010 team OL were all seniors and had left - the coaching is an improvement along with the scheme plus having worked together for a while to communicate. I just wouldn't hold any film from that year against Mason - and as you rightly pointed out he was continuing to work hard. Wish Greg was coming back - AU knows how to coach up some OL as well as RB's so it will be great to watch as always.

Rotoworld:

Rams selected Auburn RB Tre Mason with the No. 75 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Mason (5-foot-8 1/2, 207) spent three seasons at Auburn, breaking out as a junior with a school-record 1,816 yards and 23 TDs on 317 carries (5.73 YPC). He managed 19 career receptions and needs a ton of work in blitz pickup, a flaw Mason won't fix quickly if pre-draft reports he needs wrist surgery prove true. Strictly as a ball carrier, Mason is laterally gifted with lightning-quick feet. He demonstrated explosion at the Combine with a 4.5-flat forty, 38 1/2-inch vertical, and 10-foot-6 broad jump. Mason's talent reminds of Ray Rice, but he must improve significantly in all phases of the passing game to become an NFL feature back. Mason also fumbled eight times over his final two college seasons. He would appear to be the favorite for No. 2 duties behind Zac Stacy and could even eat into Stacy's previous monster workload. Mason's selection may mark the end of the Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson tenures in St. Louis. They like Benny Cunningham more.

Tre Mason drafted by St. Louis Rams at No. 75 overallBy Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Tre Mason will join Auburn teammate Greg Robinson in St. Louis.

One day after adding Robinson, with the No. 2 overall pick, the Rams added Mason in the third round (75th overall).

Mason is a shifty, quick-cutting back with good vision. He piled up 1,816 yards rushing last year, breaking Bo Jackson's single-season mark at Auburn.

Mason's build is similar to that of Giovani Bernard, who became an explosive rookie runner last season for Cincinnati. At 5-foot-8 and 207 pounds, Mason has shown flashes in the passing game and has experience aiding in returns.

The Auburn product became the Rams' fourth running back selected in the last three drafts: Isaiah Pead (second round, 2012), Daryl Richardson (seventh round, 2012) and Zac Stacy (fifth round, 2013).

Mason is a jitterbug with explosive ability who should provide a solid change of pace as a scatback behind Stacy, the Rams' current workhorse.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

I see Tre Mason as a more talented RB than Stacy, and I think that he will take over the majority of the work fairly soon.

The Rams backfield has very little clarity at the moment, making it difficult to assess Mason's prospects.

Do they fancy Stacy a work horse or a short yardage specialist? Hell, he was a fifth round pick, maybe he's a depth player following the career path of Vick Ballard.

As for Mason, does he change the pace or carry the load?

Either way, he landed in a great spot. Late first round rookie pick.

The Rams backfield has very little clarity at the moment, making it difficult to assess Mason's prospects.

Do they fancy Stacy a work horse or a short yardage specialist? Hell, he was a fifth round pick, maybe he's a depth player following the career path of Vick Ballard.

As for Mason, does he change the pace or carry the load?

Either way, he landed in a great spot. Late first round rookie pick.
I think Stacy proved enough to say that he will at least be a part of a committee in St. L. Mason would have to greatly outperform him to take over a full load and I'm not sure I see that happening soon. Mason, while a great runner, has growing to do to become a 3 down RB.

I think Stacy proved enough to say that he will at least be a part of a committee.
For next season, Stacy has a pretty safe prospect. But in the long run, I guess we can agree to disagree here.

He did well handling a large work load, give Stacy credit. But he didn't blow the lid off the pop bottle. Let's not forget, he only earned those carries by running better Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson. He was the hottest waitress at Denny's.

Mason certainly has a chance to play much better than all three. Although it may take him some time to learn all aspects of the passing game.

I think Stacy proved enough to say that he will at least be a part of a committee.
For next season, Stacy has a pretty safe prospect. But in the long run, I guess we can agree to disagree here.

He did well handling a large work load, give Stacy credit. But he didn't blow the lid off the pop bottle. Let's not forget, he only earned those carries by running better Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson. He was the hottest waitress at Denny's.

Mason certainly has a chance to play much better than all three. Although it may take him some time to learn all aspects of the passing game.
I agree. The problem is many are writing Stacy off already and saying his value is in the toilet. That's simply not true. He should get at least 1 more year of solid production. Perhaps more if Mason doesn't pan out. We know Stacy can get the job done. We've seen it. We think Mason is better but it's not a guarantee at this point.

The point was that many jumped the gun and made him an RB1. That is obviously off the table now. That being said, he will (most likely) be fantasy worthy.

The big point is that Fisher went to a run heavy approach last year (for obvious reasons) when he had Clemens at the helm. With a healthy Bradford, will they open it up again??

Users who are viewing this thread