What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Toby Gerhart - dynasty buy? (5 Viewers)

Last rumors have him signing in Arizona to be RBBC with Ellington. (Still worries over Ellington's durability.)

I actually expect he has plenty left in the tank. He may be 27, but as little as he has played, his wear and tear is more like a 25 y\o or less.

A lot of you are off in the talent evaluation of Gerhart. Starting there would be more valuable than speculating on his next job. None of us know how many carries he will take next season until FA and the draft plays out. He will be a valuable asset to any NFL team. He won't mean much for FF if he isn't getting the workload.

I find it funny that people think Gerhart is a scrub, yet Mark Ingram still gets a ton of love.
Who said he is a scrub?

Lamont Jordan was a pretty decent RB, not a scrub and I think a fair comparison of Gerharts upside if he should land a starting gig, which is not a given. It seems pretty clear to me that Ben Tate right or wrong is considered to be a more valuable free agent RB than Gerhart at this time. Ben Tate at least shows a lot more confidence saying he believes he could be a top 5 RB in the league if a team gives him a chance. Meanwhile Toby has been talking about his family, his health and so on. Completely different message being put out by these two players.

If you think the place to start is by accurately assessing Gerharts talent relative to the rest of the RB in the league than why don't you start by doing that? Instead of criticizing the rest of us who I think have tried to do that?
You can easily read through the thread and count how many time Gerhart has been discounted for whatever reason. Truth is he has the power- speed- agility- pedigree combo to be high end in the NFL. He's a top 20-25 RB talent that has been wasted behind the great Adrian Peterson. It's not just on paper. Every time he gets a chance, he produces. We all know opportunity trumps talent in FF. Just because L. Jordan was a flash in the pan, he doesn't predict Gerhart's future. If he gets 15+ carries he will likely be a efficient 1200+ yard 10+ TD RB who produces in the passing game. If he signs with Cincy or Ari to pair with Gio or Ellington he will disappoint for FF in a S. Greene-like situation. Due to the potential of him being a RB1 for the duration of his next contract, he is a great stash. Opportunity + Talent = Fantasy points. Guess either part of that equation wrong and yes, like some said, you wasted a roster spot. We have no clue about his opportunity. What we can do is accurately asses his talent. Gerhart is potentially a high-end RB. The speculation will prove to irrelevant in the long run.

Last rumors have him signing in Arizona to be RBBC with Ellington. (Still worries over Ellington's durability.)

I actually expect he has plenty left in the tank. He may be 27, but as little as he has played, his wear and tear is more like a 25 y\o or less.
That is a myth. The whole tread on the tires thing is crap. Studies have shown that the more mileage a guy gets, the more likely he will play longer. Those guys know how to deal with the year in and year out grind.

And healing slows the older we get whether we played in the NFL or the Lingerie league.

If guys with low mileage can run longer than Priest Holmes and Michael Turner would've had much longer careers.

That is a myth. The whole tread on the tires thing is crap. Studies have shown that the more mileage a guy gets, the more likely he will play longer. Those guys know how to deal with the year in and year out grind.
I don't believe in that explanation. I think the reason that players who get the most carries early in their career also play the longest is because players who get the most carries early in their career tend to be the most durable and talented. For example, why do Ray Rice and Chris Johnson have more career carries than Felix Jones and Darren McFadden? Simply because they're better players and they've been better able to hold up to the workload.

This doesn't in any way mean that high carries early in the career are good for the body. Correlation ≠ causation.

A lot of you are off in the talent evaluation of Gerhart. Starting there would be more valuable than speculating on his next job. None of us know how many carries he will take next season until FA and the draft plays out. He will be a valuable asset to any NFL team. He won't mean much for FF if he isn't getting the workload.

I find it funny that people think Gerhart is a scrub, yet Mark Ingram still gets a ton of love.
Who said he is a scrub?

Lamont Jordan was a pretty decent RB, not a scrub and I think a fair comparison of Gerharts upside if he should land a starting gig, which is not a given. It seems pretty clear to me that Ben Tate right or wrong is considered to be a more valuable free agent RB than Gerhart at this time. Ben Tate at least shows a lot more confidence saying he believes he could be a top 5 RB in the league if a team gives him a chance. Meanwhile Toby has been talking about his family, his health and so on. Completely different message being put out by these two players.

If you think the place to start is by accurately assessing Gerharts talent relative to the rest of the RB in the league than why don't you start by doing that? Instead of criticizing the rest of us who I think have tried to do that?
You can easily read through the thread and count how many time Gerhart has been discounted for whatever reason. Truth is he has the power- speed- agility- pedigree combo to be high end in the NFL. He's a top 20-25 RB talent that has been wasted behind the great Adrian Peterson. It's not just on paper. Every time he gets a chance, he produces.We all know opportunity trumps talent in FF. Just because L. Jordan was a flash in the pan, he doesn't predict Gerhart's future. If he gets 15+ carries he will likely be a efficient 1200+ yard 10+ TD RB who produces in the passing game. If he signs with Cincy or Ari to pair with Gio or Ellington he will disappoint for FF in a S. Greene-like situation. Due to the potential of him being a RB1 for the duration of his next contract, he is a great stash. Opportunity + Talent = Fantasy points. Guess either part of that equation wrong and yes, like some said, you wasted a roster spot. We have no clue about his opportunity. What we can do is accurately asses his talent. Gerhart is potentially a high-end RB. The speculation will prove to irrelevant in the long run.
I'd be really happy with LaMont Jordan's Raiders career at Toby's current price tag. A lot of people were high on Jordan after his first season in Oakland.

I picked him up in a dynasty league last summer. The guy produces when given the opportunity. Will he be given the keys to the car right away...probably not. He's just looking for an incentive based contract if he leads the team in rushing yds, attempts, etc with his next team. It has to be the right fit which just means he'll be given an opportunity to start or split carries down the middle. I would say he could be a serviceable RB2 for a run of 2-3 years.

EBF said:
ShaHBucks said:

Who said he is a scrub?

You can easily read through the thread and count how many time Gerhart has been discounted for whatever reason. Truth is he has the power- speed- agility- pedigree combo to be high end in the NFL. He's a top 20-25 RB talent that has been wasted behind the great Adrian Peterson. It's not just on paper. Every time he gets a chance, he produces.We all know opportunity trumps talent in FF. Just because L. Jordan was a flash in the pan, he doesn't predict Gerhart's future. If he gets 15+ carries he will likely be a efficient 1200+ yard 10+ TD RB who produces in the passing game. If he signs with Cincy or Ari to pair with Gio or Ellington he will disappoint for FF in a S. Greene-like situation. Due to the potential of him being a RB1 for the duration of his next contract, he is a great stash. Opportunity + Talent = Fantasy points. Guess either part of that equation wrong and yes, like some said, you wasted a roster spot. We have no clue about his opportunity. What we can do is accurately asses his talent. Gerhart is potentially a high-end RB. The speculation will prove to irrelevant in the long run.
I'd be really happy with LaMont Jordan's Raiders career at Toby's current price tag. A lot of people were high on Jordan after his first season in Oakland.
Lamont Jordan finished as RB 12 in standard leagues in 2005 (his 1st season after getting a deal in free agency from the Jets) he also had 70 receptions and 1500+ combined yards so he likely finished higher than RB 12 in PPR leagues. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JordLa00.htm

I think he is a good comparison because of similar size (both are 230lb RB) and abilities as receivers.

The buzz around the NFL is not as much for Gerhart as there was for Jordan. Gerhart needs a team to give him that opportunity. I do not think Gerhart has been selling himself as that kind of player so I have doubts about him getting the opportunity, but if he does? I think he is capable of putting up similar numbers to what Jordan accomplished.

As a Vikings fan I am hoping Gerhart will stay in MN because he is a good RB. Maybe not a big play/explosive RB but very sound and good overall skill set that I think is above average for a NFL RB but perhaps below average compared to starting RBs. Despite the press and Ben Tates confidence I think Gerhart is a better RB than Tate is when you look at their overall skill set.

ShaBucks BS post annoyed me, but maybe he just does not know how good Lamont Jordan was. In any case I don't think it is right to criticize other peoples opinions without offering an honest opinion of your own.

It is now or never for Gerhart. This is basically his only shot to be a stater. Not sure he will get that shot either.

My best guess for his landing spot is Cleveland, then maybe Arizona. I don't think the San Francisco dot-connecting (he played for Harbaugh at Stanford) means much, since they won't be parting with Gore, Lattimore, or Hunter.

Someone offered me Michael Floyd & J Hunter a few weeks ago for Gerhart and C Clay. Needless to say I jumped at that offer!

Hey couch! Nice to hear from you! :)
Heya Bia! Howzit going?

Jan / Feb are heavy work times for me, and I'm afraid most of last year wasn't much better. I've posted in SP very little. Free time is improving though. Had some vacation time in early March, and now I'm getting the FF juices going again with all the free agency stuff!

Free Agent market is loaded with RB's. Draft is going to be flooded with mid/late round RB's with younger legs that'll come cheaper.

I see this ending no differently than the folks that were waiting years and years for Michael Bush's new home :shrug:If you're hoping for a signing as a 3 down back like Lamont Jordan, you're going to be very disappointed.

I looked through this thread. Saw not a single mention that Gerhart stunk. I do think he's a solid backup RB capable of a carrying a heavy load when called upon. I think his best case scenario will be being paired with a back like Lamar Miller/Ellington and could be used as a pass blocking back (and fill if injured).

Last edited by a moderator:
Heya Bia! Howzit going?

Jan / Feb are heavy work times for me, and I'm afraid most of last year wasn't much better. I've posted in SP very little. Free time is improving though. Had some vacation time in early March, and now I'm getting the FF juices going again with all the free agency stuff!
Just glad you are still breathing! I was a little worried about ya.

Any plans to do a dynasty ranking thread in the near future?

Heya Bia! Howzit going?

I've been thinking about it. Maybe we should set up a poll to see if anyone cares enough to bother. LOL.

Heya Bia! Howzit going?

I've been thinking about it. Maybe we should set up a poll to see if anyone cares enough to bother. LOL.
Another vote for the thread :towelwave:

Heya Bia! Howzit going?

Heya Bia! Howzit going?

Do it!! When the voices are in harmony of course! ;)

Free Agent market is loaded with RB's. Draft is going to be flooded with mid/late round RB's with younger legs that'll come cheaper.

I see this ending no differently than the folks that were waiting years and years for Michael Bush's new home :shrug:If you're hoping for a signing as a 3 down back like Lamont Jordan, you're going to be very disappointed.

I looked through this thread. Saw not a single mention that Gerhart stunk. I do think he's a solid backup RB capable of a carrying a heavy load when called upon. I think his best case scenario will be being paired with a back like Lamar Miller/Ellington and could be used as a pass blocking back (and fill if injured).
Miami has made contact with his agent about him coming down here.

Toby Gerhart - RB - Vikings

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the 49ers, Jaguars and Browns are interested in free agent RB Toby Gerhart.
It's unknown if Gerhart has scheduled any visits. He'd be reuniting with college coach Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco, though the 49ers' stable is already pretty full at running back. Gerhart is coming off a nice year backing up Adrian Peterson, but has never shown anything to suggest he could be a lead back in the NFL.
Related: Browns, Jaguars, 49ers

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Miami would be a good spot. Thomas sucks and Miller was unconvincing last year.
Miami lost to Balt/Buff/Car at home last year because they could not run the football in the 4th when it mattered. I would prefer MJD/P.Thomas but I'll take Gerhart for now. Daniel Thomas runs butt first into the line, that's never a good thing for a "power' back.

Brand new from the Rotoblurb guys 10 minutes ago...

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the 49ers, Jaguars and Browns are interested in free agent RB Toby Gerhart.
It's unknown if Gerhart has scheduled any visits. He'd be reuniting with college coach Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco, though the 49ers' stable is already pretty full at running back. Gerhart is coming off a nice year backing up Adrian Peterson, but has never shown anything to suggest he could be a lead back in the NFL.

Mar 11 - 8:56 PM

Edit--- Craig beat me to it. :( I'm getting slow in my old age.

Brand new from the Rotoblurb guys 10 minutes ago...

Mar 11 - 8:56 PM

Edit--- Craig beat me to it. :( I'm getting slow in my old age.
Yes, just what the 9ers need... another RB.

However as someone else mentioned if the 9ers are inquiring about Gerhart maybe they are inquiring about Sproles too.

Again, why they need a RB, I have no idea.

MOP what is Miami's offensive line looking like right now? No RB is going to do well there if they do not get that fixed.

I am a bit surprised at the interest from the Jaguars, but if they fit their offense to him he could be successful there.

Cleveland certainly has a good enough Oline as long as they keep Mack at center. That seems like the best situation to me out of those 3 options.

Gerhart is coming off a nice year backing up Adrian Peterson, but has never shown anything to suggest he could be a lead back in the NFL.
:doh:
Whoa, don't quote that as if it was me saying it. For the records folks, that was part of the Rotoworld commentary EBF is quoting. :)
Yea, I wasn't trying to rip you for that. I've seen a couple similar blurbs from Rotoworld. Their writers have a tendency to jump to dubious conclusions like that. It's irritating when you own guys they don't like and have to read the subtle jabs that they lace every update with.

I think he's the presumptive starter. And since the Jags are so horrible with so many needs, I think they're an underdog to use a top 100 draft pick at the position. So basically the table is set for him to have significant redraft value.

I think he's the presumptive starter. And since the Jags are so horrible with so many needs, I think they're an underdog to use a top 100 draft pick at the position. So basically the table is set for him to have significant redraft value.
Completely agree. I don't think they are ready to give up on Denard Robinson either.

My initial reaction as an owner is I think its a great opportunity for him to become the guy. It looks like it will be Gerhart vs Todman for the lead role.
They also want to see if Denard Robinson can be a real RB.

Will Gerhart start? OK, I've wanted to use this line all thread:

Toby or not Toby, that is the question.

-- Billy Shakes

My initial reaction as an owner is I think its a great opportunity for him to become the guy. It looks like it will be Gerhart vs Todman for the lead role.
As a Gerhart and Todman owner I kinda feel like it is a no-lose situation. Now watch them evenly split carries, or worse, it is hot-hand.
I was just thinking that in terms of ability to come in be at least the lead committee RB, if not have the full load, Toby has his chance. I guess Robinson is lurking around beside Todman.

‏"@RapSheet: For Toby Gerhart and the #Jaguars, it’s a 3-year deal worth $10.5M with $4.5M guaranteed. Strong."

4.5M guaranteed in this RB market to me means that the Jags obviously believe he's going to be a big part of their team.

It's also a good sign that he was signed before the likes of Moreno, Donald Brown, etc.

Of Gerhart, Denard Robinson, Todman, he's the only one with any pass protect ability, an important factor once the Jags move past Henne to whatever rookie QB they draft in the early rounds.

His value just went up.................I still dont care for him, so I would trade him right away if I had him
If you get a good return, sure, but I doubt you'll get a lot. Could keep him and get a season or two of RB2 production. He's legitimately talented.

‏"@RapSheet: For Toby Gerhart and the #Jaguars, it’s a 3-year deal worth $10.5M with $4.5M guaranteed. Strong."

4.5M guaranteed in this RB market to me means that the Jags obviously believe he's going to be a big part of their team.
It's pretty big money. Provided that he stays healthy, he's going to be a top 20 and maybe even a top 12-15 back in FF this season.

Pretty close to S. Green from last year

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/shonn-greene/
Not sure where you are going with that comp? Does this mean that you expect Gerhart to be a backup or demonstrating just how different the market is this year as opposed to last?

Pretty close to S. Green from last yearhttp://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/shonn-greene/
Thats what I was thinking. Wouldn't doubt that jax drafts a rb too
There will be great value in round 3 at RB. I certainly think it's possibly some steep competition comes aboard.

His value just went up.................I still dont care for him, so I would trade him right away if I had him
If you get a good return, sure, but I doubt you'll get a lot. Could keep him and get a season or two of RB2 production. He's legitimately talented.
Then I would trade him to someone like you who believes that. I don't think much of him, so yeah, if I could get something decent for use hiim in a package for an upgrade, D-O-N-E

As a Gerhart and Todman owner I kinda feel like it is a no-lose situation. Now watch them evenly split carries, or worse, it is hot-hand.
I was just thinking that in terms of ability to come in be at least the lead committee RB, if not have the full load, Toby has his chance. I guess Robinson is lurking around beside Todman.
I like the way that this all sounds - Gerhart, Todman, Robinson, Sanders - but is there any sense that Jags OC (Jedd Fisch?) has any record of using RBs in the pass game? I think that's where Gerhart's strength lies potentially.

ETA - with the Jags' propensity to fall behind I could also see Toby getting quite a few 2nd half dumpoffs adding value in PPR.

Then I would trade him to someone like you who believes that. I don't think much of him, so yeah, if I could get something decent for use hiim in a package for an upgrade, D-O-N-E
What has he done that makes you believe he isn't talented?

What has he done that makes you believe he isn't talented?
I didn't think he was a legit starting RB when he was drafted. I don't think he is now.

Sure, I think he will have good games here and there, probably for a short stretch of time. I don't see him as a dependable fantasy starter for me at all.

‏"@RapSheet: For Toby Gerhart and the #Jaguars, its a 3-year deal worth $10.5M with $4.5M guaranteed. Strong."

It's pretty big money. Provided that he stays healthy, he's going to be a top 20 and maybe even a top 12-15 back in FF this season.
Top 12 is a huge stretch. The Jacksonville offense suuuucks. They ran for only 1260 - 7 as a team last year at 3.3 YPC. Gerhart will be the lead RB certainly, but he's going to face some tough sledding there.

Users who are viewing this thread