What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Toby Gerhart - dynasty buy? (3 Viewers)

My gut call is New York Giants. He's Andre Brown with better versatility and durability. Also seems to fit the mold of a Coughlin guy.

Never really know though. The league is weird. Just look at Tennessee paying pretty big money to Greene last year. Wouldn't have predicted that.

He could end up as a Raven or Chief or some other totally random spot.

Nowhere to go but up though. Being stuck behind Peterson is about the worst spot for a RB in the league.
The irony is if I'm a team like the Browns I'd sign both he and Brown while skipping on the rest of the bigger names like DMC, Tate or Brown. I'd start Brown though. He'd be on IR after 2 carries then it's Toby's gig. My 3rd would be a late rd pick or a min contract guy like Bernard Scott. That would be a nice way to "Moneyball" the league for around $3-5M.

No real need to speculate on any of the FA RBs until the sign somewhere. I don't see the point to judge them now. Plenty of them are capable RBs.

I think "Toby" will get into a situation where he gets more regular touches than he did with the Vikings (not hard), but I would be surprised if he gets signed into a situation/dollar amount that makes him more than bye fill-in, occasional starter barring injuries/busts. not a terrible player or anything, but he has just been okay when Peterson has been injured.
Since he's been with the Vikings, he has only started five games with Peterson inactive:

12/20/10 vs. CHI - 16 carries, 77 yards, 3 catches, 18 yards

11/27/11 vs. ATL - 17 carries, 44 yards, 2 catches, 19 yards

12/4/11 vs. DEN - 21 carries, 91 yards, 8 catches, 42 yards

12/11/11 vs. DET - 19 carries, 90 yards, 3 catches, 19 yards

01/01/12 vs. CHI - 15 carries, 67 yards, 1 catch, 3 yards

TOTALS - 88 carries, 369 yards, (4.2 YPC), 17 catches, 101 yards

Small sample size, but those are decent numbers. 73.8 yards per game would equate to 1180 rushing yards over a full season. He also had a 109 yard rushing game on 11 carries in 2011 during the Redskins game in which Peterson tore up his knee. If you include that in the sample, his numbers jump up to 4.8 YPC and 79.7 yards per game. I think 4.2 is probably closer to an accurate reflection of his true merit as a rusher, but that's fine. 4.2 YPC on 250+ carries with 2-3 catches per game would likely make him a top 15 PPR RB.

On the balance, he has a career YPC average of 4.7 on 276 carries. He has 9 carries of 20+ yards, which equates to a "big run" percentage of 3.26%.

For the sake of comparison, here are the 2013 averages for last year's 200+ carry backs:

CJ Spiller - 4.48%

DeMarco Murray - 3.69%

Alfred Morris - 3.62%

Frank Gore - 3.26%

Matt Forte - 3.11%

DeAngelo Williams - 2.99%

LeSean McCoy - 2.87%

Adrian Peterson - 2.87%

Reggie Bush - 2.69%

Ryan Mathews - 2.46%

Jamaal Charles - 2.32%

Chris Johnson - 2.15%

Maurice Jones-Drew - 2.14%

Knowshon Moreno - 2.07%

Zac Stacy - 2.00%

Marshawn Lynch - 1.99%

LeVeon Bell - 1.64%

Eddie Lacy - 1.05%

Fred Jackson - 0.48%

Ray Rice - 0.47%

Rashard Mendenhall - 0.46%

BenJarvus Green-Ellis - 0.45%

I'm not going to suggest that this stat is the perfect indicator of RB performance. It's highly prone to variance and it only speaks about a back's big play ability, not his consistency grinding out short gains. I think you'd also expect a backup/COOP back to have a higher big play percentage than a workhorse who's carrying the ball 200+ times if all other variables were equal. However, there does seem to be some correlation between these numbers and talent. The fact that Gerhart has been breaking long runs at a rate that's equal to or greater than most of the backs in the game is another positive sign for him.

I think the people who automatically assume he's just RBBC fodder are a little off base. It might play out that way, but it might not. Nobody assumes that this year's highly-touted rookie RBs like Hyde, Mason, and Hill are destined for committee situations. Gerhart was picked approximately where those players figure to go, he was just as dominant in college, he has arguably better overall athletic tools than any of those guys (he's 230 pounds [the weight of Hill and Hyde] with 4.50 speed [the same time as Mason] and a 38" vertical), and he has already demonstrated some degree of viability in the NFL (high career YPC, respectable showings in limited starting chances, and hints of explosiveness in his efficiency metrics).

In my opinion there's an inconsistency with the lauding of players like Bell/Lacy/Stacy/Mason/Hyde/Hill and the simultaneous insistence that Gerhart is probably destined to be a committee back at best. I don't think there's much concrete evidence that he's less talented than those guys. I think the impression comes mainly from the fact that he's been sitting on the shelf for four years while those other players are either fresh out of college or have benefited from being in the shop window as starters in the NFL.

A source who "actively worked the phones" on the first day of the NFL's free-agency negotiating period Saturday noted to Profootballtalk.com that "there's currently no market for running backs."

This really shouldn't be a surprise because running back is a replaceable position in the NFL, and the only above-replacement-level talents in this year's class are Ben Tate and Darren McFadden. Both have checkered injury track records. If Knowshon Moreno's price stays low enough, we could see him staying in Denver. It'd be a concern for Montee Ball's 2014 fantasy outlook.

Not even arguing that it is "fair" that Gerhart was drafted to be Peterson's back-up, but at the end of the day he is still a 27 year old RB that has never shown to be an every down back and most likely the other 31 teams are going to treat him as a 27 year RB that they have no idea if he can be an every down week-in, week-out back. If he gets clear #1 or at least lead in committee back money, then congrats to him (and hope fulfills that contract) Nothing in the FA market, the available talent in the draft or how teams are currently viewing the RB position signals that I should be optimistic about his FF future. There is a good chance that he be NFL more valuable than FF valuable.

And yes I do own him a couple of leagues...and no, I will not pay more than "dart throw" assets for Gerhart.

at the end of the day he is still a 27 year old RB that has never shown to be an every down back and most likely the other 31 teams are going to treat him as a 27 year RB that they have no idea if he can be an every down week-in, week-out back.
I don't see the point of mentioning that he's 27 like it's some kind of huge knock against him. Whoever signs him will be thinking far more about how he can help their team in the next 2-3 seasons than what he's going to look like in 2017. He's not young, but he's not so old that he's expected to hit a wall any time soon. Over the next three seasons he'll be 27, 28, and 29. Not that old for a guy with low NFL mileage.

The problem with the "never shown to be an every down back" reasoning is that it applies to most other potential RB solutions on the market. Ben Tate has never carried the load for a team. There are plenty of question marks about some of the "proven" starters on the market like MJD, McFadden, and Blount. And that's without getting into the rookies who have literally never played a down in the NFL. If we accept the idea that someone like Hyde or Mason is a potential immediate fix for a RB-needy team despite never having played a down in the NFL then I don't know why we are supposed to think that Gerhart is too unproven for a team to trust.

The fact is that there are more starting jobs in the NFL than there are proven starters in their prime. So one way or another, numerous teams are going to end up relying on players who aren't totally established. Look at last year's NFL. The Jets, Dolphins, Rams, Packers, Steelers, Broncos, Browns, Giants, and Saints began the season without a 1000+ yard rusher on the roster. It's just like FF. The demand for great RBs outstrips the supply. So for the teams who aren't lucky enough to have a Peterson or McCoy on the roster, they'll have to try to find alternative solutions. That's why you saw guys like Ivory, Bell, Miller, Stacy, and Moreno handed starting jobs last season.

I don't really know what's going on inside NFL war rooms and what their actual RB boards might look like. I really don't have a clue how teams like Cleveland, NYG, Jacksonville, Oakland, and Miami plan to address their RB issues. Maybe they think the value is all in the rookie draft. Maybe they're all hot for Ben Tate. Maybe several of them have dug deeper and identified guys like Gerhart and Jennings as good stopgap solutions. We won't really have a clue what they're thinking until they start acting, but there are quite a few decent openings out there and not a lot of great options to fill them. I think Gerhart has a better chance to land in a favorable situation than you'd expect given the total lack of optimism for his outlook in the dynasty marketplace. Hence why he's a compelling buy candidate. When real value is out of whack with perceived value, that's when you have a buy or sell window.

Last edited by a moderator:
A source who "actively worked the phones" on the first day of the NFL's free-agency negotiating period Saturday noted to Profootballtalk.com that "there's currently no market for running backs."

This really shouldn't be a surprise because running back is a replaceable position in the NFL, and the only above-replacement-level talents in this year's class are Ben Tate and Darren McFadden. Both have checkered injury track records. If Knowshon Moreno's price stays low enough, we could see him staying in Denver. It'd be a concern for Montee Ball's 2014 fantasy outlook.
Or whoever said that wants a couple of them and is trying to drive the price down.

My Browns can use two or three RBs. There is definitely a market. No, of course, nobody is going to pay a LOT for any of the guys. No mega RB deals for sure, but I guarantee you some teams out there would REALLY like some of these guys.

at the end of the day he is still a 27 year old RB that has never shown to be an every down back and most likely the other 31 teams are going to treat him as a 27 year RB that they have no idea if he can be an every down week-in, week-out back.
I don't see the point of mentioning that he's 27 like it's some kind of huge knock against him. Whoever signs him will be thinking far more about how he can help their team in the next 2-3 seasons than what he's going to look like in 2017. He's not young, but he's not so old that he's expected to hit a wall any time soon. Over the next three seasons he'll be 27, 28, and 29. Not that old for a guy with low NFL mileage.

The problem with the "never shown to be an every down back" reasoning is that it applies to most other potential RB solutions on the market. Ben Tate has never carried the load for a team. There are plenty of question marks about some of the "proven" starters on the market like MJD, McFadden, and Blount. And that's without getting into the rookies who have literally never played a down in the NFL. If we accept the idea that someone like Hyde or Mason is a potential immediate fix for a RB-needy team despite never having played a down in the NFL then I don't know why we are supposed to think that Gerhart is too unproven for a team to trust.

The fact is that there are more starting jobs in the NFL than there are proven starters in their prime. So one way or another, numerous teams are going to end up relying on players who aren't totally established. Look at last year's NFL. The Jets, Dolphins, Rams, Packers, Steelers, Broncos, Browns, Giants, and Saints began the season without a 1000+ yard rusher on the roster. It's just like FF. The demand for great RBs outstrips the supply. So for the teams who aren't lucky enough to have a Peterson or McCoy on the roster, they'll have to try to find alternative solutions. That's why you saw guys like Ivory, Bell, Miller, Stacy, and Moreno handed starting jobs last season.

I don't really know what's going on inside NFL war rooms and what their actual RB boards might look like. I really don't have a clue how teams like Cleveland, NYG, Jacksonville, Oakland, and Miami plan to address their RB issues. Maybe they think the value is all in the rookie draft. Maybe they're all hot for Ben Tate. Maybe several of them have dug deeper and identified guys like Gerhart and Jennings as good stopgap solutions. We won't really have a clue what they're thinking until they start acting, but there are quite a few decent openings out there and not a lot of great options to fill them. I think Gerhart has a better chance to land in a favorable situation than you'd expect given the total lack of optimism for his outlook in the dynasty marketplace. Hence why he's a compelling buy candidate. When real value is out of whack with perceived value, that's when you have a buy or sell window.
It matters Gerhart is 27 because it almost guarantees that he is going to be Law-firmed even if he has a good year as a starter. Basically, toby will get us through a year or two and then we will get a guy we really like to be our true lead back. That does have value, but is he any better off than the Browns (Andre and Donald) or Starks or the other two or three guys hovering around that tier? None of them are significantly more "talented" than the other and each has some versus of questions/warts.

Example Starks and Gerhart are near career rushing production twins, but you are not over posting about that guy, who if anything a FF player can get for cheaper than Gerhart.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tobygerhart/497176/careerstats

Gerhart

http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesstarks/497206/careerstats

Starks

I don't see the point of mentioning that he's 27 like it's some kind of huge knock against him.
Maybe I am wrong, but I would have sworn that in the past you have used the age of 27 as a huge knock against RBs that you don't care for, however for those you like (i.e., Stewart and Gerhart) it always seems to be a different story.

it all depends on where Gerhart lands and how that team uses him

ya'll should have bought mid-2013 season looking ahead

It matters Gerhart is 27 because it almost guarantees that he is going to be Law-firmed even if he has a good year as a starter. Basically, toby will get us through a year or two and then we will get a guy we really like to be our true lead back. That does have value, but is he any better off than the Browns (Andre and Donald) or Starks or the other two or three guys hovering around that tier? None of them are significantly more "talented" than the other and each has some versus of questions/warts.

Example Starks and Gerhart are near career rushing production twins, but you are not over posting about that guy, who if anything a FF player can get for cheaper than Gerhart.

Gerhart

Starks
For FF, idk I suppose you have a point.

For me personally, this is two backups getting similar stats but Starks looks like a backup while Gerhart looks like a starter.

I agree with the first statement. There may not be many star RBs in this draft but many capable backs. I could imagine seeing Gehart signing somewhere only to be usurped by a younger and hungrier back.

it all depends on where Gerhart lands and how that team uses him

ya'll should have bought mid-2013 season looking ahead
I was just about to post that it depends where he lands
I'd amend this to be his opportunity. I have always been so impressed by Gerhart and think he'll do well anywhere, as long as he starts.

I also figure he's better than most and will win oh so many camp battles if it's a genuine battle with another RB.

For example, Andre Brown above...he'd win that battle.

During one of the combine radio shows from Indianapolis, a caller wanted the Colts to sign him. It got just a minute or two of talk then came up again later. The gist of it was that Richardson, athletically, is better than most anyone they'd acquire and people were wondering how to push him to get him rolling again. So this is like 45 minutes later, and the host says we;; what about Gerhart mentioned earlier? a few more minutes of talk and then of course back to the draft.

OK OK 10 million posts about Richardson stinkin' yeah I've seen the thread and know the common mindset around here. I, however, like the idea of beat Gerhart out and you start; don't and we have a good starting RB anyway. Maybe they each make the other better, who knows. It was thrown out there and I love the idea. I do agree that they're likely to draft someone that won't be the athlete Richardson is so it'll just be coaches pushing Tony, not competition.

Gerhart

Starks

For me personally, this is two backups getting similar stats but Starks looks like a backup while Gerhart looks like a starter.
Looks like a 'starter' to you? that's some subjective thing that matters to you, but has no bearing on the rest of us trying to analyze whether or not Gerhart or Starks will get a true opportunity to be more than a back-up or committee RB. What I do know is the through the same length career and largely in a similar role, they produced closer than not the same numbers. One of these guys I have seen have picked off the waiver wire and the other go for a mid 2nd round pick under the same scoring system. One has been posted about over and over as a value; the other has been not mentioned all.

I think Gerhart is a good enough RB that he could win a starting position for some teams in the league. I don't think he fits a ZBS as well as a power blocking scheme. So the Giants might be a good fit for him but the Jaguars may not.

We need to see what happens. Odds are not very good in my opinion that he gets a offer to be the man (although I do think he is capable on the right team). As already mentioned it is more likely that Gerhart is considered part of RBBC.

The yards/carry for Gerhart are inflated somewhat due to him being primarily being used on 3rd downs or later in games when Peterson needed a blow. That said Gerhart is a very good screen RB. I think part of it is defenses being willing to let Gerhart try to convert 3rd down dump offs and screens, but Gerhart has been very effective in that role. Gerhart is also very solid in pass protection. So it is a nice combination of skills you get with him, some power running and capable at the goal line while also being a better than average receiving RB as well.

This is not the time to buy him.

I think he has had the most value to owners of Peterson. It is still possible he decides to re-sign with the Vikings. If he does that I think it means no team was willing to guarantee him a starting role in their offense. So instead of being a back up/ time share RB somewhere else, he decides to retain that role in MN.

Turner is talking about getting Peterson the ball more in space and using him more in the passing game (which Peterson also wants) so that support role is shrinking in MN. Maybe this will be enough reason for Gerhart to move on to another team. I just think that even if he does Gerhart will still find himself in some sort of time share situation that will require some luck for him to get enough action to justify this speculation.

Gerhart

Starks

Looks like a 'starter' to you? that's some subjective thing that matters to you, but has no bearing on the rest of us trying to analyze whether or not Gerhart or Starks will get a true opportunity to be more than a back-up or committee RB. What I do know is the through the same length career and largely in a similar role, they produced closer than not the same numbers. One of these guys I have seen have picked off the waiver wire and the other go for a mid 2nd round pick under the same scoring system. One has been posted about over and over as a value; the other has been not mentioned all.
Yes totally, but the offseason seems like it will bring a starter's role for Gerhart. I guess we'll see

It matters Gerhart is 27 because it almost guarantees that he is going to be Law-firmed even if he has a good year as a starter. Basically, toby will get us through a year or two and then we will get a guy we really like to be our true lead back. That does have value, but is he any better off than the Browns (Andre and Donald) or Starks or the other two or three guys hovering around that tier? None of them are significantly more "talented" than the other and each has some versus of questions/warts.Example Starks and Gerhart are near career rushing production twins, but you are not over posting about that guy, who if anything a FF player can get for cheaper than Gerhart.

Gerhart

Starks
For FF, idk I suppose you have a point.For me personally, this is two backups getting similar stats but Starks looks like a backup while Gerhart looks like a starter.
The difference between Starks and gerhardt is Starks had ample opportunity to start and for one reason or another, never could nail it down. That's why Starks isn't mentioned at all. While I'm sure the league has it's questions whether Toby can be a franchise back, at least the possibility still exists.

It matters Gerhart is 27 because it almost guarantees that he is going to be Law-firmed even if he has a good year as a starter. Basically, toby will get us through a year or two and then we will get a guy we really like to be our true lead back. That does have value, but is he any better off than the Browns (Andre and Donald) or Starks or the other two or three guys hovering around that tier? None of them are significantly more "talented" than the other and each has some versus of questions/warts.Example Starks and Gerhart are near career rushing production twins, but you are not over posting about that guy, who if anything a FF player can get for cheaper than Gerhart.

Gerhart

Starks
I don't think they're that similar. Starks was a late round pick in the first place. He had his shot in GB, but could never rise to the top of a mediocre RB group. Gerhart has never even been given that opportunity. Being stuck behind a HoF RB from day one = no opportunity. Failing to emerge as a starter after several chances = squandered opportunity. There's a big difference.

The BJGE comparison comes packed with the assumption that Gerhart is going to be so mediocre that his new team will have a strong incentive to replace him. That's possible, but hardly a given. Michael Turner was also 26 when he fit free agency. He had several monster years with Atlanta. It won't be Gerhart's age that determines his outlook for the next 2-3 years. It will be his talent level. And FWIW, I'd happily take BJGE's Cincy career for the price of dynasty RB68.

I don't think your arguments are that compelling. If anything, they just show the kind of thought processes that have led to Gerhart becoming undervalued IMO. Mis-attributing his lack of production to his talent level rather than his situation. Underestimating his NFL performance to date. Losing sight of the fact that he was a high pick and is still young enough to have 2-4 peak years left.

Carlos Hyde has an ADP of 76th overall in February DLF mocks. This despite the fact that he's likely only a 2nd round NFL draft pick and totally unproven as an NFL commodity. In Gerhart you have a guy who has already been vetted as a 2nd round pick by the NFL draft process, has already shown signs of competence in limited duty, has a superior set of athletic measurables, and has just as much probability (maybe more since he can pick his own team) of ending up in a favorable situation. Yet his ADP is 190th overall. Obviously his advanced age and shorter shelf life justify a lower valuation, but to me that's totally out of whack.

I think FF players in general are prone to short-sighted "what have you done for me lately" thinking and are pretty bad at separating production from situation. So in their minds all they think is, "Gerhart didn't produce." They should probably be thinking, "Gerhart didn't produce because he was stuck behind Peterson. Therefore his lack of production tells us nothing about him." It's just very interesting to me to see how comparable talents like Lacy, Bell, Hyde, and Hill can generate consistent excitement while an older version of the same player with a real chance to perform at a similar level over the next few years is essentially viewed as worthless trash.

I have no bold predictions, but I'm definitely eager to see if NFL teams see any value here or if they're as cool on him as the FF community is.

I don't see the point of mentioning that he's 27 like it's some kind of huge knock against him.
Maybe I am wrong, but I would have sworn that in the past you have used the age of 27 as a huge knock against RBs that you don't care for, however for those you like (i.e., Stewart and Gerhart) it always seems to be a different story.
I'm a lot more concerned with value-per-cost than raw value. Which is to say I'm primarily concerned with whether a player is worth more/less than his cost. There are two big variables that go into that:

1. How much I like the player.

2. How much the player costs.

In a vacuum, I would rather have LeVeon Bell than Toby Gerhart. However, Bell is valued like a premium asset now whereas to me he's more like an upper-middle round startup value. So even though I like him more than Gerhart, when you factor in how much he costs, I'm appalled by the proposition of rostering him at market value right now. Gerhart is an interesting flyer, but a big part of my optimism is the low price tag. He's RB68 in the DLF staff rankings. You can probably get him in a lot of leagues for a mid-late 2nd rounder. Relative to the cost, I like him. If he were going in the top 20-30 picks of startups, I would not like him.

That's the big difference between the likes of Gerhart/Stewart and Peterson/Forte/Lynch. The latter guys are much more desirable in a vacuum. The problem is that they'll cost you an arm and a leg to acquire whereas Gerhart and Stewart are valued like dirt. So you can see how I'd simultaneously think one group of 26-28 year old backs are terrible values while another group of 26-28 year old backs are good values. It's mainly about the price tag.

I don't think I've ever argued that a 27-28 year old back can't have 1-3 really good seasons left. What I've usually argued is that a back that age isn't worth a top 10-20 startup pick regardless of how talented he is. That has really no bearing on a discussion about whether or not a different 27 year old back with an ADP outside the top 150 could be a great investment. Totally different scenarios. Same deal at WR. I'd be a little leery of paying market value for Roddy White. On the other hand, I'd happily pay market value for Santonio Holmes. There's no inconsistency there. I like players who have been excessively overvalued and I don't like players who haven't been sufficiently devalued.

Gerhart

Starks
The BJGE comparison comes packed with the assumption that Gerhart is going to be so mediocre that his new team will have a strong incentive to replace him. That's possible, but hardly a given.
It is a given - he is a caucasian running back! My guess is that every GM in the NFL who values his job will want to replace/get him some help as soon as he is signed.

This is simply/unfortunately a fact that is supported by statistics...

The broad point is that Gerhart is not a significant greater bet to be a multi-year starter than The Browns, Starks etc. I get a FF player liking him more than the others, but he does not represent some "value." play. The probable out come is a committee guy or high-end back-up. there are very few historical back-up RBs to become fantasy relevant year 5 at RB. Burner Turner and Fred Jackson (more age than NFL experience) come to recent mind and I am sure there a couple more, but not enough that I feel I can be contradicted here. Given the overall committee nature of the current NFL, the idea that plenty of teams think they can get 4 similar

years from a 22 year old at minimal costs, and what seems to be a deep RB draft, I am not sure any of those guys are fantasy relevant this time next year.

I am going to look in and try not to bog down this thread since I have made my point a couple of times. No need to over post in number of words or number of responses to every dude rewording the same spit I have already said.

The broad point is that Gerhart is not a significant greater bet to be a multi-year starter than The Browns, Starks etc. I get a FF player liking him more than the others, but he does not represent some "value." play. The probable out come is a committee guy or high-end back-up. there are very few historical back-up RBs to become fantasy relevant year 5 at RB. Burner Turner and Fred Jackson (more age than NFL experience) come to recent mind and I am sure there a couple more, but not enough that I feel I can be contradicted here. Given the overall committee nature of the current NFL, the idea that plenty of teams think they can get 4 similar

years from a 22 year old at minimal costs, and what seems to be a deep RB draft, I am not sure any of those guys are fantasy relevant this time next year.

I am going to look in and try not to bog down this thread since I have made my point a couple of times. No need to over post in number of words or number of responses to every dude rewording the same spit I have already said.
I find it interesting you use Michael Turner, another back stuck behind a HoF RB, as a reason to say this doesn't happen very often. I'm by no means saying Gerhart is going to be a starter, but I don't think being drafted by a team that highly relies on their running game and has the best RB in the game as their starter are good reasons to vote against him.

biju said:
coolnerd said:

I find it interesting you use Michael Turner, another back stuck behind a HoF RB, as a reason to say this doesn't happen very often. I'm by no means saying Gerhart is going to be a starter, but I don't think being drafted by a team that highly relies on their running game and has the best RB in the game as their starter are good reasons to vote against him.
biju said:
coolnerd said:

I find this point uninteresting overall, but since this is "new" ground in this thread, I will go on and answer. Turner had been considered for at least a couple of years the best back-up in the league who could start for more teams than not. Teams and FF players were literally waiting for him to become a free agent. He was the clear best FA back in his class and was paid accordingly so. Gerhart has been an okay back-up and in an underwhelming free agent class has been listed between RB5 and RB13 depending on the list being read. That HOF 'fact" is pretty much the only thing that is common between the two situations.

I don't care what a guy is valued at, or what I can get him for. If he isn't going to help me, I don't want him.

I don't see Gerhart as worth any more than any other backup, or any other average player that could wind up in a starters role due to injury.

Cause Toby isn't going anywhere to be a starter. I view that as a certaintly. But like 50 other guys, he could luck his way into a starting job due to injury and put up some relevant fantasy stats.............but we aren't starting a thread for each of those other 50 guys for some reason :nerd:

And as for the "he has shown flashes" thing.......lot of RB show flashes in very limited duty, but once they play a couple games and get beat around, those flashes flicker out pretty quick because they just aren't talented enough to produce at less than 100%. Toby is one of those guys. He may help you in the fantasy playoffs, but only if the starter in front of him gets hurt in like week 13.

biju said:
coolnerd said:

biju said:
coolnerd said:

I find this point uninteresting overall, but since this is "new" ground in this thread, I will go on and answer. Turner had been considered for at least a couple of years the best back-up in the league who could start for more teams than not. Teams and FF players were literally waiting for him to become a free agena Lamont t. He was the clear best FA back in his class and was paid accordingly so. Gerhart has been an okay back-up and in an underwhelming free agent class has been listed between RB5 and RB13 depending on the list being read. That HOF 'fact" is pretty much the only thing that is common between the two situations.
Likely best case scenario for Gerhart is a Lamont Jordan type future - we waited for a while, he signed with Oakland, and gave his owners one 1,000 yard season. Good 2005 but otherwise a waste of roster space and hype.

I agree with FUBAR. Lamont Jordan had quite a bit of interest as a free agent at the time. Paired with Norv Turner he had a career year.

I think Gerhart has similar talent/potential as a starter. I do not think he is as highly thought of as Michael Turner was. Lamont Jordan is a better comparison.

I agree with FUBAR. Lamont Jordan had quite a bit of interest as a free agent at the time. Paired with Norv Turner he had a career year.

I think Gerhart has similar talent/potential as a starter. I do not think he is as highly thought of as Michael Turner was. Lamont Jordan is a better comparison.
Ugh. Lamont Jordan. Seriously what a let down that guy was...

For reference,

I recently acquired Gerhart for the 3.03 rookie pick in a 12 team PPR. Probably worth it to take a shot on Gerhart at that price.

biju said:
coolnerd said:

biju said:
coolnerd said:

I find this point uninteresting overall, but since this is "new" ground in this thread, I will go on and answer. Turner had been considered for at least a couple of years the best back-up in the league who could start for more teams than not. Teams and FF players were literally waiting for him to become a free agent. He was the clear best FA back in his class and was paid accordingly so. Gerhart has been an okay back-up and in an underwhelming free agent class has been listed between RB5 and RB13 depending on the list being read. That HOF 'fact" is pretty much the only thing that is common between the two situations.
It's funny but when you look at what Gerhart has done and what Turner had done in his four years at SD, it is comparable. Turner had a higher ypc but close enough to be in the same ball park, similar number of carries and yards. Gerhart has significantly more receptions and receiving yards. So, it begs the questions: WHY did Turner generate so much interest? Because I agree that there was a different buzz. Personally, I don't think you can discount the influence that the media has on this kind of thing. Turner had a few good nights on Monday night football and was pimped as a result. Does Gerhart's race play a role in his generating less buzz? Does Minnesota as a smaller market than California? I don't know. But I don't think you can wave your hands and say that they are not similar in production to this point.

Turner: 228 for 1257 yards rushing, 5.51 ypc; 11 receptions, 71 yards, 6.43 ypr; 6 TDs.

Gerhart: 276 for 1305 yards rushing, 4.7 ypc; 77 receptions, 600 yards, 7.8 ypr; 8 TDs

Turner was 26 and Gerhart 27 in their FA year--maybe that made a difference?

I think "Toby" will get into a situation where he gets more regular touches than he did with the Vikings (not hard), but I would be surprised if he gets signed into a situation/dollar amount that makes him more than bye fill-in, occasional starter barring injuries/busts. not a terrible player or anything, but he has just been okay when Peterson has been injured.
Since he's been with the Vikings, he has only started five games with Peterson inactive:

12/20/10 vs. CHI - 16 carries, 77 yards, 3 catches, 18 yards

11/27/11 vs. ATL - 17 carries, 44 yards, 2 catches, 19 yards

12/4/11 vs. DEN - 21 carries, 91 yards, 8 catches, 42 yards

12/11/11 vs. DET - 19 carries, 90 yards, 3 catches, 19 yards

01/01/12 vs. CHI - 15 carries, 67 yards, 1 catch, 3 yards

TOTALS - 88 carries, 369 yards, (4.2 YPC), 17 catches, 101 yards

Small sample size, but those are decent numbers. 73.8 yards per game would equate to 1180 rushing yards over a full season. He also had a 109 yard rushing game on 11 carries in 2011 during the Redskins game in which Peterson tore up his knee. If you include that in the sample, his numbers jump up to 4.8 YPC and 79.7 yards per game. I think 4.2 is probably closer to an accurate reflection of his true merit as a rusher, but that's fine. 4.2 YPC on 250+ carries with 2-3 catches per game would likely make him a top 15 PPR RB.

On the balance, he has a career YPC average of 4.7 on 276 carries. He has 9 carries of 20+ yards, which equates to a "big run" percentage of 3.26%.

For the sake of comparison, here are the 2013 averages for last year's 200+ carry backs:

CJ Spiller - 4.48%

DeMarco Murray - 3.69%

Alfred Morris - 3.62%

Frank Gore - 3.26%

Matt Forte - 3.11%

DeAngelo Williams - 2.99%

LeSean McCoy - 2.87%

Adrian Peterson - 2.87%

Reggie Bush - 2.69%

Ryan Mathews - 2.46%

Jamaal Charles - 2.32%

Chris Johnson - 2.15%

Maurice Jones-Drew - 2.14%

Knowshon Moreno - 2.07%

Zac Stacy - 2.00%

Marshawn Lynch - 1.99%

LeVeon Bell - 1.64%

Eddie Lacy - 1.05%

Fred Jackson - 0.48%

Ray Rice - 0.47%

Rashard Mendenhall - 0.46%

BenJarvus Green-Ellis - 0.45%
Not to take this train off the track, but that is a big number re Spiller. Really screams buy low to me. I guess the big issue, is that of the group listed he probably had amongst the highest percentage of runs 2 yards and under as well. Home run or bust I guess.

It's funny but when you look at what Gerhart has done and what Turner had done in his four years at SD, it is comparable. Turner had a higher ypc but close enough to be in the same ball park, similar number of carries and yards. Gerhart has significantly more receptions and receiving yards. So, it begs the questions: WHY did Turner generate so much interest? Because I agree that there was a different buzz. Personally, I don't think you can discount the influence that the media has on this kind of thing. Turner had a few good nights on Monday night football and was pimped as a result. Does Gerhart's race play a role in his generating less buzz? Does Minnesota as a smaller market than California? I don't know. But I don't think you can wave your hands and say that they are not similar in production to this point.

Turner: 228 for 1257 yards rushing, 5.51 ypc; 11 receptions, 71 yards, 6.43 ypr; 6 TDs.

Gerhart: 276 for 1305 yards rushing, 4.7 ypc; 77 receptions, 600 yards, 7.8 ypr; 8 TDs

It's an interesting comparison. 5.51 and 4.7 aren't really that close in ypc, though the receiving numbers do a lot to make up for that.

I think a big part of it is not only their age, but the way RB age was perceived at the time. When Turner was a FA, most dynasty owners treated a 26 year old running back the same way as a rookie (in regards to age) and were willing to trade half their team for an about-to-turn-29-years-old Ladainian Tomlinson. Most dynasty owners are much more strict with their RB age now and we've gotten to a point where a 26 year old running back is getting to the edge of the point where you want to start looking to sell him before his value plummets, and Gerhart is already a year past that. I don't think that it's as much that the difference in age between Gerhart and Turner is a year as it is that the difference between Gerhart and Turner's age with respect to the allotted acceptable "young" RB age of each of their respective times is 4 years. Turner was a 26 year old in a time where people didn't even start worrying about age until a guy turned 29, whereas Gerhart is a 27 year old in a time where people start worrying about it at 26.

Also, I do think it's a fair point to say that race plays an issue. Gerhart may be the one white guy in the world who can say that if he weren't white, he'd be making more money (and have more interest in FF communities) right now.

A difference of 0.8 yards per carry is a very big number that shouldn't be downplayed. There might as well be a canyon between them.

That said, a lot of people won their leagues the past 2 years bc of opportune purchases of knowshon Moreno. I think that's what us Toby backers are trying to get across here. He just needs to land in a plum spot and we're crossing out fingers. Does anyone really believe Moreno is that much better?

I actually think Gerhart is probably better than Moreno. I think he's better than Andre Brown, Donald Brown, and McFadden too. When I see those guys higher on most of the Internet pundit FA rankings, I think it's mainly because they've had a lot more opportunity in their careers and thus have been able to flash a bit more.

I rate Gerhart as a top 3-4 FA RB along with Tate, MJD, and Blount. I think Moreno is okay if you just need a veteran presence who can do a little bit of everything, but the guy is very very average as a ball carrier. Certainly less dynamic than Gerhart as a rusher. Probably better as a receiver.

I don't think the rushing talent level at same times in careers of Turner and Gerhart are remotely close at all

I think Gerhart's skill set and rushing talent level is more comparable to someone like Michael Bush :shrug: I've always thought Toby is a solid backup talent with versatile skillset that can handle the load if needed.

JMO To compare him and Michael Turner's running ability is laughable.

I don't think he's as good as Turner either. Turner rushed for 7000+ yards in his career despite playing sparingly for his first four seasons in the league.

I mentioned Turner as an example to show that hitting free agency as a 26-27 year old doesn't preclude a player from having several peak seasons. What is the average rookie contract? 3-4 years? Gerhart will be 27, 28, 29, and 30 over the next four years. So I don't see a how RB-needy team will look at his longevity potential as being significantly different from a player like Hyde or Hill. In both cases you're getting the guy for the next few years. The only difference is that in the Hyde/Hill case, you might be inclined to sign them to an extension/raise if they're awesome, whereas in the Gerhart case there's a shorter built-in life span.

If got one top 15-20 PPR season from Gerhart at his current market price, I'd be pretty pleased. I think he's young enough where 2-3 such seasons are possible, if he proves that he's good enough. The talent level is a bigger concern than the age. He's unproven, but that's also true of Hyde/Sankey/Hill/Mason and the idea that those guys could yield a couple good seasons over the next few years would be met with a lot less resistance IMO. No good reason for that.

I don't think that Turner and Gerhart are all that far apart as PPR FF assets, personally. Yes, Turner was likely a much better runner, but Gerhart can contribute in the passing game, which makes up a lot of ground quickly vs a guy who doesn't catch the ball at all. If Gerhart lands in a dream situation like Turner did, he could deliver similar results IMO.

That said, the teams with good immediate opportunity for a RB are all pretty terrible, so meh RB2 is likely a more realistic hope. I'm also not seeing rock bottom prices for him, in my leagues at least. I've tossed out 2015 2nds in a few places and been rejected -- his owners are in wait and see mode.

But Turner was signed as an obvious #1 -- and to a pretty big contract IIRC. I think that's unlikely with Gerhart. Are there any indications he's being pursued as a lead back?

But Turner was signed as an obvious #1 -- and to a pretty big contract IIRC. I think that's unlikely with Gerhart. Are there any indications he's being pursued as a lead back?
I'm not really seeing him connected to anyone. Then again, he's obviously not a tier 1 free agent.

Gerhart is a better receiver than Turner. It stands to reason that a team that is looking for a RB capable in the receiving game will want him more than others, and from that group (and in any of these discussions) it makes sense to look at who has more cap space than others.

biju said:
coolnerd said:

biju said:
coolnerd said:

I find this point uninteresting overall, but since this is "new" ground in this thread, I will go on and answer. Turner had been considered for at least a couple of years the best back-up in the league who could start for more teams than not. Teams and FF players were literally waiting for him to become a free agena Lamont t. He was the clear best FA back in his class and was paid accordingly so. Gerhart has been an okay back-up and in an underwhelming free agent class has been listed between RB5 and RB13 depending on the list being read. That HOF 'fact" is pretty much the only thing that is common between the two situations.
Likely best case scenario for Gerhart is a Lamont Jordan type future - we waited for a while, he signed with Oakland, and gave his owners one 1,000 yard season. Good 2005 but otherwise a waste of roster space and hype.
This is very possible. Chester Taylor, Trung Canidate, and LaMont Jordan happen... but sometimes you get Michael Turner or Ahman Green. Gerhart looks like a guy who might get a shot, and in college and the pros he's looked good enough to be a low-end NFL starter. If you can get him cheap, go for it. Trade five 2nd round picks for Taylor, Canidate, Jordan, Green, and Turner, and you're very happy.

There are guys who never do get the shot... people bet on Mewelde Moore and Tashard Choice getting starting shots at some point, and it never happened. Throw in another two 2nd round picks and it looks worse... but that's where the eye test comes in. If you watched those guys and felt that Moore and Canidate weren't good enough to really be starters, you're back to a good haul for the investment.

A lot of you are off in the talent evaluation of Gerhart. Starting there would be more valuable than speculating on his next job. None of us know how many carries he will take next season until FA and the draft plays out. He will be a valuable asset to any NFL team. He won't mean much for FF if he isn't getting the workload.

I find it funny that people think Gerhart is a scrub, yet Mark Ingram still gets a ton of love.

wdcrob said:
Let's acknowledge that the value of RBs in general - rookies and vets - is pretty much at an all-time low, shall we? No RB is going to make the kind of coin that Michael Turner did when he signed with Atlanta in 2008. It's a different era, period.

Let's acknowledge that the value of RBs in general - rookies and vets - is pretty much at an all-time low, shall we? No RB is going to make the kind of coin that Michael Turner did when he signed with Atlanta in 2008. It's a different era, period.
Absolutely correct. Teams won't trip over themselves to sign any free agent RB. If this one won't sign at a good price, the next one will. If none will, one can be had easily in the draft in round 3 or later. It is a buyer's market and none will generate the enthusiasm past free agents did.

A lot of you are off in the talent evaluation of Gerhart. Starting there would be more valuable than speculating on his next job. None of us know how many carries he will take next season until FA and the draft plays out. He will be a valuable asset to any NFL team. He won't mean much for FF if he isn't getting the workload.

I find it funny that people think Gerhart is a scrub, yet Mark Ingram still gets a ton of love.
Who said he is a scrub?

Lamont Jordan was a pretty decent RB, not a scrub and I think a fair comparison of Gerharts upside if he should land a starting gig, which is not a given. It seems pretty clear to me that Ben Tate right or wrong is considered to be a more valuable free agent RB than Gerhart at this time. Ben Tate at least shows a lot more confidence saying he believes he could be a top 5 RB in the league if a team gives him a chance. Meanwhile Toby has been talking about his family, his health and so on. Completely different message being put out by these two players.

If you think the place to start is by accurately assessing Gerharts talent relative to the rest of the RB in the league than why don't you start by doing that? Instead of criticizing the rest of us who I think have tried to do that?

My advice is sell him if you got him.
This doesn't make sense. He doesn't have a lot of value right now. If you don't think he's any good, wait until he signs somewhere with promise and then move him.

Not a lot of people are giving up substantial pieces for him right now, but that could change depending on where he signs.

Hard to advocating selling when the value could drastically change in a week's time. Given what you could potentially get back for Gerhart, it's easily worth the risk to hang onto him for the time being.

Unless you think dumping him for a 3rd rd rookie pick is a good idea, then by all means sell him right now.

Users who are viewing this thread