What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Toby Gerhart - dynasty buy? (2 Viewers)

I'd be thrilled with a solid 10 points (1/2 point PPR). The volume should at least be there for Gerhart considering the circumstances and the opponent, right??
You'd definitely think so given the matchup but I thought Ivory and Johnson would go off against Tennessee last week and that didn't happen. But given his involvement in the passing game and the matchup you'd think Gerhart should be able to get double-digit points in PPR without serious difficulty.

Maybe he'd be more successful/healthier if he changed his name to K-nta Kinte Gerhart. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm willing to give Gerhart a semi-pass for this year. 1. Battled injuries. 2. Started all over in a new system. 3. That O-line is god awful

I can see him being a huge value next year as a flier that nobody will want to grab.

Rotoworld:

Toby Gerhart will reportedly line up at fullback some in 2015.
A year ago, the Jaguars signed Gerhart to a three-year, $10.5 million contract with the intent of making him their feature back. He completely face-planted, fighting a foot injury but also getting badly outplayed by Denard Robinson. Now the Jags are just looking for ways to get some kind of return on their investment. At best, Gerhart will fill a big back role in a committee and do some blocking.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 31 - 11:39 AM

It doesn't matter if you're white, brown, blue, or purple as long as you have the right athletic parts. I agree that it's rare to see the right parts for a RB/CB in a white athlete, but it can and will happen. I think Gerhart is a good example. He's 6'0 231 with 4.50 speed, a 38" vertical, and a 6.94 three cone time. By NFL standards, he's not a GREAT athlete. But he's a pretty good one. His workout numbers absolutely blow away those by LeVeon Bell, Eddie Lacy, Carlos Hyde, and Jeremy Hill.

If you're going to say he can't be successful, you're going to have to find a better argument than, "His skin is white."
What happened to this "WHITE guy" with all these great parts that worked out better than Bell, Lacy, Hyde, and Hill??Completely face-planted...

#fullback

It doesn't matter if you're white, brown, blue, or purple as long as you have the right athletic parts. I agree that it's rare to see the right parts for a RB/CB in a white athlete, but it can and will happen. I think Gerhart is a good example. He's 6'0 231 with 4.50 speed, a 38" vertical, and a 6.94 three cone time. By NFL standards, he's not a GREAT athlete. But he's a pretty good one. His workout numbers absolutely blow away those by LeVeon Bell, Eddie Lacy, Carlos Hyde, and Jeremy Hill.

If you're going to say he can't be successful, you're going to have to find a better argument than, "His skin is white."
What happened to this "WHITE guy" with all these great parts that worked out better than Bell, Lacy, Hyde, and Hill??Completely face-planted...

#fullback
Hasn't it been pretty well covered that he hurt his foot in game 1 or 2? Most players don't do well with foot injuries. Now this doesn't mean he would have performed well, but that certainly doesn't help your chances.

#fullback
Brewtown, is that you? Did you take a wrong turn at the Sankey thread?

There's not much sugar coating what happened with Toby. He sucked. It might have played out differently if he hadn't crunched his ankle in week one, but all the same the Pierce signing and the fullback talk don't bode well for the Albino Rhino. Seems like he's nearly droppable in dynasty.

Jeremy said:

#fullback
Brewtown is back!

Rotoworld:

Toby Gerhart is expected to be more of an H-back for the Jaguars this season.

Think of it more as a Mike Tolbert-type role. Gerhart could line up for some short-yardage work and catch a few passes out of the backfield. The Jaguars seem intent on keeping Gerhart on the roster to get some sort of return on investment.

Source: jaguars.com
Apr 22 - 3:33 PM

Man this guy completely faceplanted in the starting role!

For the betterment of the chatroom and for the sake of one poster with a 3 letter name's reputation - can we get this waste of space thread deleted??

Man this guy completely faceplanted in the starting role!

For the betterment of the chatroom and for the sake of one poster with a 3 letter name's reputation - can we get this waste of space thread deleted??
Too late to help his reputation. Besides Gerhart, see also Trent Richardson, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, LeVeon Bell, Eddie Lacy, Jonathan Stewart, Christine Michael, etc., (although the jury is still out on the last two). Gerhart is just another example of the failure of this junk science of predicting NFL success or failure based on draft pedigree, combine numbers, BMI, and cherry picked stats which has missed way more often than it has hit.

In all fairness, we can't completely write off Gerhart as he did have some excuses for the 2014 season and he still might put it all together, but putting money on that would be "betting against the house" (to use one of that 3 letter name poster's favorite expressions).

Rotoworld:

ESPN Jaguars reporter Mike DiRocco has been "pleasantly surprised" by Toby Gerhart's performance at OTAs.

It looks like Gerhart is finally healthy after struggling with ankle issues most of last season. He seems to be a good fit for Greg Olson's offense. Olson uses inside zone runs much more than his predecessor Jedd Fisch. After being phased out in 2014, Gerhart will have at least some role in the offense this year.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 7 - 10:51 AM

I read somewhere that Gerhart was the projected 3rd down RB. Any truth to that? I'd have thought Robinson had that role, if Yeldon wasn't going to get all of it.

I read somewhere that Gerhart was the projected 3rd down RB. Any truth to that? I'd have thought Robinson had that role, if Yeldon wasn't going to get all of it.
I had read that he would be used as more of a H-back type role, not necessarily a strict third down back.

I saw that too and the comments were what I was thinking "he doesn't have the skillset to be 3rd down back" he's more beast than quick.

I thought the FB articles were interesting with him. I like a FB that can run.

I think the Jags need to find a role for Denard and gave up on him too quick. NFL teams seem weaker and weaker at CB, they should try and get 4 WRs out there. There were two TE articles (which happen for every team, every preseason but pretending it will happen...) and I think the more diverse they can appear to a D, the better for their young QB.

I saw that too and the comments were what I was thinking "he doesn't have the skillset to be 3rd down back" he's more beast than quick.
He was the third down back for the Vikings. He's a solid blocker and pass catcher.

He was the third down back for the Vikings. He's a solid blocker and pass catcher.
Solid, sure. Robinson seemed to out play him in every facet, though.

A Toby Gerhart sighting.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5730/toby-gerhart

Free agent RB Toby Gerhart worked out for the Broncos on Thursday.

It's the first we've heard of Gerhart since he was released by the Jaguars nine months ago. Gerhart was extremely ineffective as a Jag, averaging 3.05 yards on 121 carries. The Broncos have serious issues at running back, but it seems unlikely they'd deem Gerhart worth a roster spot.

Dec 15 - 5:40 PM

Source: Field Yates on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread