What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (1 Viewer)

I want to thank you for your courageous call on this matter Buzz.  It's nice to see someone around here gather several years of data before making their prognostication ...instead of firing from the hip all the time, that's just lazy.  

Please keep fighting the good fight.   
You are welcome sir. 

As a left brained, logical IT guy there's nothing I abhor more than small sample size snap judgement. 

That said sometimes...sometimes the answer is so obvious as the hand in front of your face that no other evidence is necessary.  ;)

Freddie Couples has a very long history of debilitating back problems. He's 57 years old and currently -2 through 5, -1 overall and in 9th place, on Sunday at The Masters. 

Let's quit the stupid "pay your bets" crap. That narrative has been played out. It's not over until it's over. Just enjoy golf. 

Freddie Couples has a very long history of debilitating back problems. He's 57 years old and currently -2 through 5, -1 overall and in 9th place, on Sunday at The Masters. 

Let's quit the stupid "pay your bets" crap. That narrative has been played out. It's not over until it's over. Just enjoy golf. 
And he's still probably what to win if you bet today 30:1?

And Freddy knew how to handle his women problems with a tiny bit of decorum and Freddy didn't take a 9 iron to the skull.  

Correct that Freddie has chronic back problems but he's also never has surgery. Tiger's issues IMO are much worse. 

Freddy divorce story?  I don't remember.

Tiger hates Sergio story? I don't remember.

I want FBG version not google versions,

Fred Couples, in spite of him being an amazing golfer also has a lot of stories out there circulating about him being a complete ##### over the years IIRC
I don't know about that. When I was reacquainting myself with the story of his divorce and subsequent suicide years later of his ex-wife, I saw a great quote from Sports Illustrated's Rick Reilly. He once compared Fred's appeal to chocolate: "Nearly everybody likes him, and most people like him a lot."

I don't know about that. When I was reacquainting myself with the story of his divorce and subsequent suicide years later of his ex-wife, I saw a great quote from Sports Illustrated's Rick Reilly. He once compared Fred's appeal to chocolate: "Nearly everybody likes him, and most people like him a lot."
There's a lot out there about him being a complete jerkoff to the fans - similar to Sergio.  Maybe a good guy day to day but not a warm, appreciative dude to the fans. :shrug:

ETA: maybe being cool with fans isn't that great.  Phil is maybe the nicest guy to fans on tour but he still gets hate cuz he's "Fake" and puts on a show for the fans, but in general, an #####, DayToDay.  I dunno, guess it depends what means more to you when judging another guys "nice" level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woods brought life back to the game and had probably the greatest 10 year run in the games history.  One thing is bad backs and golf do not mix well.  Last time I watched Woods play he swung like an old man.  It was sad to see at his age and the talent he once had.

There's a lot out there about him being a complete jerkoff to the fans - similar to Sergio.  Maybe a good guy day to day but not a warm, appreciative dude to the fans. :shrug:

ETA: maybe being cool with fans isn't that great.  Phil is maybe the nicest guy to fans on tour but he still gets hate cuz he's "Fake" and puts on a show for the fans, but in general, an #####, DayToDay.  I dunno, guess it depends what means more to you when judging another guys "nice" level.
Phil=figjam. I've met him. ****. It was almost 20 years ago though, maybe he's changed.  Doubt it. 

proninja said:
Tiger was utterly amazing. Golf was *way* more fun when he was good. Winning by 15 at Pebble. That hole in one on 16 at Phoenix. Pointing down the putt vs Bob May. The chip-in at Augusta on 16 that just hung on the lip for a minute before dropping. The guy constantly had these moments that gave you goose bumps. I wish we had that Tiger again. Instead we have this old broken shell of Tiger. 
No dis to Jack, but it's not possible to be more clutch than Tiger was.  What you mention...but it started as an amateur at Sawgrass on 17, then the shot to 3 feet on 18 at Newport and the marathon vs Steve Scott at Pumpkin Ridge.  The lesser known non-Major shots like the 18th at the Canadian and all those at Bay HIll. And the shots to get to the bigger moments..the 8 footer to get to that playoff with May...the birdie from the rough on 18 at Torrey to get to the playoff with Rocco...every dramatic shot he had, he hit...up to YE Yang.  We'll never see a better player, or clutch athlete, than he was then.

In 2005 The Royal Bank of Scotland printed commemorative legal tender 5 lb notes with Nicklaus' image on them. Nicklaus is only the third person after the Queen and Queen Mother to be honoured this way in their lifetime. 
That will never happen with Woods.

Overhyped guys that never won anything who become broadcasters, instead of record-setting champions? 

The world needs ditchdiggers, too, Danny.
I'm referring to the ability to quit at the appropriate time, not achievements.  Tiger has been dragging golf along for nearly 5 years now.  We all know he has no chance of being competitive, yet he keeps teasing the golf world and they take the bait.  Romo never did any of that.  He was hyped because he was QB of the Dallas Cowboys and he was a lot better than Quincy Carter.  Not his own doing.

proninja said:
Tiger was utterly amazing. Golf was *way* more fun when he was good. Winning by 15 at Pebble. That hole in one on 16 at Phoenix. Pointing down the putt vs Bob May. The chip-in at Augusta on 16 that just hung on the lip for a minute before dropping. The guy constantly had these moments that gave you goose bumps. I wish we had that Tiger again. Instead we have this old broken shell of Tiger. 
As an American, I'm enjoying this immensely though. I won't be satisfied until I can walk into a sports bar and Woods will be there in a roped off area and I can throw quarters at him and yell "Dance, rummy."

He won't announce his official retirement until he absolutely has to as to protect current marketing value but this guy is (duh) done, done, done. I guess all those 4 mile timed runs in combat boots and hardcore SEAL training not the best thing for a golfer. Who knew?

I cannot find any recent odds online for tiger breaking Jack's record.  You could get 1000:1 months ago, but nothing now. 

I think with this fourth back surgery Tiger is just taking steps to live (relatively) pain free for the rest of his life.  

His golf career is over.  

He will be lucky if he can walk upright when he is 50.  And I think he knows that now.  He is done.  

Seriously.  Four back surgeries.  Good lord.   His agent is talking about doing the latest procedure to help his quality of life.  Get back in the water with his kids.  

It is over from a professional golf standpoint.  

I cannot find any recent odds online for tiger breaking Jack's record.  You could get 1000:1 months ago, but nothing now. 

I think with this fourth back surgery Tiger is just taking steps to live (relatively) pain free for the rest of his life.  

His golf career is over.  
I'd easily lay $100 or $500 at crazy odds and call it a lottery ticket. Where can I get this bet?

The people who made the bet against Tiger made a suckers bet.  It's not officially over until Tiger dies, and odds are the people involved in the bet will be dead by then anyway.

Otis will probably pay out before he's required to, but until Tiger is 6 feet under he really doesn't have to.

What if in 10-20 years there is some kind of medical advancements where Tiger can play like he is 20 years old again.  Obv not likely, but possible.  This bet was weighted so far in Otis favor from the beginning.  The other side didn't add in any kind of qualifiers and hopefully learned a lesson.  

i've made dumb ### bets myself, it happens.

The people who made the bet against Tiger made a suckers bet.  It's not officially over until Tiger dies, and odds are the people involved in the bet will be dead by then anyway.

Otis will probably pay out before he's required to, but until Tiger is 6 feet under he really doesn't have to.

What if in 10-20 years there is some kind of medical advancements where Tiger can play like he is 20 years old again.  Obv not likely, but possible.  This bet was weighted so far in Otis favor from the beginning.  The other side didn't add in any kind of qualifiers and hopefully learned a lesson.  

i've made dumb ### bets myself, it happens.
He could be reincarnated as Jack Nicholas to

Users who are viewing this thread