What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on Tom Brady...can he still be elite? (1 Viewer)

False Start

Footballguy
The reason I bring it up is its awful quiet out there with regards to him. ADP has him as the 9th QB in redraft at MFL. WTF? Last year is last year, he is still a great mind who makes people around him better. People are taking Foles over him :shrug: Fanatsyfootballcalc has him at the 6th QB taken which is more reasonable but he should still be ahead of Luck and maybe even Stafford.

He had a bad year last year as far as he is concerned, can he bounce back and be the #3 QB like he was 2 years ago OR is he on the down slope of the end of his career and his elite days are done?

I feel he can be back on top with Edelmen filling Welkers role nicely and if Gronk can stay healthy, I like his chances at 35+ scores and his always reliable 4500 yards.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I bring it up is its awful quiet out there with regards to him. ADP has him as the 9th QB in redraft at MFL. WTF? Last year is last year, he is still a great mind who makes people around him better. People are taking Foles over him :shrug: Fanatsyfootballcalc has him at the 6th QB taken which is more reasonable but he should still be ahead of Luck and maybe even Stafford.

He had a bad year last year as far as he is concerned, can he bounce back and be the #3 QB like he was 2 years ago OR is he on the down slope of the end of his career and his elite days are done?

I feel he can be back on top with Edelmen filling Welkers role nicely and if Gronk can stay healthy, I like his chances at 35+ scores and his always reliable 4500 yards.

Thoughts?
Shhh!

I truly believe that his upside is going to be capped by a very tough defense and a soft schedule. Brady is probably gonna see his td count rise this year as long as we see a gronk and vereen. I still see ridley as a great goal line back so he Wil vulture out some tds. I think new England is going to be a dominant team this year. I see them playing a little like Seattle though nickel and dime all the way down the field to eat clock, score, play tough defense repeat. So to answer your question I placed Brady in that area of a 9-13 with romo, rivers, cutler. If your looking for consistent points I say go with brady. High upside or blow up games go with the other 3. Just my 2 cents

It's a classic case of people relying too much on last year. He is still elite and he will prove it once again in 2014.

Thoughts?
is that elite?

Thoughts?
is that elite?
Woulda been last year. :shrug:

Given his typical 2.5 or 3 to 1 TD:INT ratio, and his annual couple of points from rushing the ball, and that'd be around 300 points in a standard league, good for #3 last year.

Thoughts?
is that elite?
Woulda been last year. :shrug: Given his typical 2.5 or 3 to 1 TD:INT ratio, and his annual couple of points from rushing the ball, and that'd be around 300 points in a standard league, good for #3 last year.
Is 300 elite? Last year it would have been 110 less than QB1 and 110 points better then QB20. It would have been 60 points less than QB2 and 60 points more than QB16. In 2012, 300 was QB8. In 2011, it was QB5. The difference between 300 and QB4 was 40 points.

He's being criminally undervalued in drafts this year. I'm targeting him and Matt Ryan in all my drafts after round 7.

I think 4,500 and 35 TDs is his floor this season if Gronk plays at least 14 games.

He's BAAAAAACK!

as much as it pains me to say it, Tom Brady is once again a golden egg fantasy QB for 2014...

he avg'd ,what, 315 yards pass/gm last 8 games 2013? something like that..it took him a while,but he got things dialed in. they lost a lot of WR's and Gronk, so it took time to figure it all out..

think he's right there again this season,and J. Edelman will lead the way for him - he's a Welker-clone..

Brady should bounce back in a huge was this season..perhaps flirting with 40TDs and 5k yards..but I'd figure him to be around 4500/35-38TDs..just on that tail end of the 'elite' guys like Brees, Rodgers, Manning, right in there with Stafford, Matt Ryan, and dare I say it, R. Wilson ( who looks all-world thus far in preseason,mind you)..I think these guys have their own tier..then you start getting in to the third tier of Rivers, etc..

I guess that relative to his draft position, you're getting penthouse performance at bargain basement pricing...NOTHING screams value like Brady in 2014..

I took Romo in the tenth then had the playboy sitting there in the 11th, I couldn't refuse at that point. I love Romo if healthy, but something is telling me Brady will be my guy. :shrug:

Like Brady alot this year. Grabbed him at the end of the 7th in my most recent draft. You figure he had a down year last year and that with Gronk being out for a bunch of games, Vereen out for a bunch of games, Thompkins and Dobson still learning and Amendola missing a good chunk of games. Yet he still threw for 4300yds and 25TDs. If those guys stay healthy, he could certainly put up 4500yds and 30+ TDs.

Thoughts?
is that elite?
Woulda been last year. :shrug: Given his typical 2.5 or 3 to 1 TD:INT ratio, and his annual couple of points from rushing the ball, and that'd be around 300 points in a standard league, good for #3 last year.
Is 300 elite? Last year it would have been 110 less than QB1 and 110 points better then QB20. It would have been 60 points less than QB2 and 60 points more than QB16. In 2012, 300 was QB8. In 2011, it was QB5. The difference between 300 and QB4 was 40 points.
That #1 QB had a record breaking season never before seen and you compare everyone else who is supposed to be elite to that? Horrible, horrible, horrible use of stats and comparisons.

Thoughts?
is that elite?
That #1 QB had a record breaking season never before seen and you compare everyone else who is supposed to be elite to that? Horrible, horrible, horrible use of stats and comparisons.
Yet qb2 was still closer to that record breaking never before season than 4500/35 was to qb2.

I think he brings up a fair point. 4500/35 would be terrific for Brady given where he's being drafted but it's not "elite" in the modern era. It's essentially what Andy Dalton and Philip Rivers put up last year.

Thoughts?
is that elite?
I included a comparison to QB2 and used 2012 and 2011. I didn't just compare him to Manning. Also, when we are talking about elite players then we can't disregard the possibility of record breaking or near record breaking statistics. In the last 3 years, 4 players have had record breaking or near record breaking seasons (Manning, Calvin, AP, and Gronk).

I don't think the decline Brady experienced had anything to do with him physically. At the end of the day, the guy was throwing to a completely new and green set of receivers for most of the season. And he still had his moments.

With Gronk back, Edelman established, Vereen and Amendola healthy (for now), Brady has weapons back. And who knows what Aaron Dobson can be.

Is he going double nickel? No. But I could see 4800/40

Thoughts?
is that elite?
Yeah, pretty much. It's not exactly common for a QB to hit those benchmarks.

Thoughts?
is that elite?
4,500 yards and 35 TDs = QB 8 in 2012? Are you sure about that?

Where did Manning finish in 2012 with 4,659 yards & 37 TDs?

Thoughts?
is that elite?
Yet qb2 was still closer to that record breaking never before season than 4500/35 was to qb2.

I think he brings up a fair point. 4500/35 would be terrific for Brady given where he's being drafted but it's not "elite" in the modern era. It's essentially what Andy Dalton and Philip Rivers put up last year.
Philip Rivers and Andy Dalton put up elite QB seasons. You dont have to be an elite NFL player to be an elite fantasy performer any given year and there are many examples and precedent to make such a claim. While those are not elite players, those are elite fantasy seasons at QB. Rivers put up 4400 yards and 32 scores, that is elite. Dalton 35 scores and 4200 yards, but with more turnovers, part of why he is not an elite NFL QB. Just because it doesnt compare to godly numbers of Manning and even that of a godly QB like Brees, those are all elite QB season.

No I do not think Dalton is an elite player to snuff those claims. If Brady can get you 4200 and 32+ which is possible because he has done it 3 of the past 4 seasons, He will be back in the fantasy elite and again prove all the people who draft players based of last year wrong AGAIN.

I even had to create this thread because I have been hearing nothing of Brady and when I have its been negative. While I dont take too much weight in preseason, Tom Brady looks like a snipper with a purpose against the Panthers (a good D) in a tuneup for the reg season. He was angry he was taken out to give Mallett a showcase for a drive. He has the fire, the team, the D and the Coach to do what the Patriots always due... shut the league up. Brady will win a lot of teams their leagues this year. This is redraft discussion, not Dynasty. Taking people like Newton, RG3, Foles, Wilson, Kaep and Romo over Tom Brady because of bad chemistry last year is not wise.

You can say this for few people, Manning, Rodgers and Brees being three others... But he is Tom Freaking Brady.

If you look at Brady's fantasy points per game last season, there were sixteen quarterbacks that you were better off starting on your fantasy team, including guys like Josh McCown, Alex Smith and Sam Bradford. It’s easy to blame his decline solely on the fact that he was without Gronkowski for most of the season and was forced to lean on mostly young and inexperienced pass catchers, but when watching him play, one had to wonder whether the 36 year old veteran may just be facing his football mortality. Brady had his lowest yardage and touchdown totals since 2006 and struggled with his deep passing and general accuracy as well.

Maybe last year solely had to do with his lack of weapons, but Brady will be 37 and I'd rather let one of my league-mates reach for him based on his name recognition, and grab better value at the position a few rounds later with QB being so deep.

I will point out that I am a Jets fan, so I'm inherently biased towards rooting against Brady, so some of this could be wishful thinking.

[SIZE=medium]If you look at Brady's fantasy points per game last season, there were sixteen quarterbacks that you were better off starting on your fantasy team, including guys like Josh McCown, Alex Smith and Sam Bradford. It’s easy to blame his decline solely on the fact that he was without Gronkowski for most of the season and was forced to lean on mostly young and inexperienced pass catchers, [/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]but when watching him play, one had to wonder whether the 36 year old veteran may just be facing his football mortality. Brady had his lowest yardage and touchdown totals since 2006 and struggled with his deep passing and general accuracy as well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Maybe last year solely had to do with his lack of weapons, but Brady will be 37 and I'd rather let one of my league-mates reach for him based on his name recognition, and grab better value at the position a few rounds later with QB being so deep.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I will point out that I am a Jets fan, so I'm inherently biased towards rooting against Brady, so some of this could be wishful thinking. [/SIZE]
:no: Jets fans? Would it even be possible for you to take the bias out if you even wanted too?

I remember when people doubted Manning because of his age and injury... to the tune of a record breaking season.

To take it one step further, have you seen the Pats schedule? Its pretty easy especially in playoffs. Roughly 6 good teams in the middle of the season.

@MIA @MIN OAK @KC CIN @BUF NYJ CHI DEN BYE @IND DET @GB @SD MIA @NYJ BUF

Thoughts?
is that elite?

Philip Rivers and Andy Dalton put up elite QB seasons. You dont have to be an elite NFL player to be an elite fantasy performer any given year and there are many examples and precedent to make such a claim. While those are not elite players, those are elite fantasy seasons at QB. Rivers put up 4400 yards and 32 scores, that is elite. Dalton 35 scores and 4200 yards, but with more turnovers, part of why he is not an elite NFL QB. Just because it doesnt compare to godly numbers of Manning and even that of a godly QB like Brees, those are all elite QB season.

No I do not think Dalton is an elite player to snuff those claims. If Brady can get you 4200 and 32+ which is possible because he has done it 3 of the past 4 seasons, He will be back in the fantasy elite and again prove all the people who draft players based of last year wrong AGAIN.
They were QB5 and QB6 last year in total points and QB8 and QB9 in ppg. In start 1 QB leagues they were merely a mid-level starter. They scored roughly 1ppg more than QB12, IE the worst starting QB in most fantasy leagues. Sorry, but by the very definition of the word that is not "elite".

Don't you guys think Belichick and Brady have an FU season up their sleeves this year? The Pats aren't being talked about nearly as much as Seattle, San Fran and Denver. Hell, you can even argue they aren't even the most talked about team in their division right now (Jets). Don't you think Brady feels snubbed by all the QB talk centered around Manning, Brees, Wilson, Foles? This year just seems like the perfect time for the Pats to go all 2011 and just blow away teams. Their defense is back to being good again and they have enough weapons on offense to be dangerous. I wouldn't want to play the Patriots this year.

Thoughts?
is that elite?

They were QB5 and QB6 last year in total points and QB8 and QB9 in ppg. In start 1 QB leagues they were merely a mid-level starter. They scored roughly 1ppg more than QB12, IE the worst starting QB in most fantasy leagues. Sorry, but by the very definition of the word that is not "elite".
QB 3 and 4 in my leagues scoring. :shrug:

Not everyone plays in the same league scoring, sorry. Even goes to show some people worry too much about last year.

:no: Jets fans? Would it even be possible for you to take the bias out if you even wanted too?
Of course it is. I traded for Gronkowski in one dynasty league this offseason and I'm very high on Dobson. I try to take my fandom bias' out of fantasy, but sure it does creep in a little.

I'm just trying to offer a little different perspective since everyone seems to see a bounce back as a given. Bringing up Manning is pretty anecdotal and a rather small sample size to show age doesn't matter.

There have been QBs that have put up elite numbers after age 37 but it's few and far between. On the plus side it's usually the guys that have been elite throughout their careers, and that is Tom Brady for sure.

I think Brady is one of the best QBs of all time and have argued many times I think he's better than Peyton so I can remove bias in my analysis - but sooner or later all the great ones hit a wall. Brady didn't quite look the same to me last season, and there's no denying the end is coming soon.

With QBs so deep, even at his discounted price compared to past years, I'd still prefer to let some one else take him while I grab Cutler, Romo or Rivers a few round later.

Of course it is. I traded for Gronkowski in one dynasty league this offseason and I'm very high on Dobson. I try to take my fandom bias' out of fantasy, but sure it does creep in a little.

With QBs so deep, even at his discounted price compared to past years, I'd still prefer to let some one else take him while I grab Cutler, Romo or Rivers a few round later.
Would you still take those guys in TD heavy leagues over Brady?

Sure, I project Brady for 31 TDs (so I do still think he'll be good) and have Cutler at 30, Romo at 29 and Rivers at 28. I see Cutler and Romo both putting up more yards than Brady since both teams have atrocious defenses. Cutler also has some scrambling ability to add to his fantasy value - compared to Brady at least.

I truly believe that his upside is going to be capped by a very tough defense and a soft schedule. Brady is probably gonna see his td count rise this year as long as we see a gronk and vereen. I still see ridley as a great goal line back so he Wil vulture out some tds. I think new England is going to be a dominant team this year. I see them playing a little like Seattle though nickel and dime all the way down the field to eat clock, score, play tough defense repeat. So to answer your question I placed Brady in that area of a 9-13 with romo, rivers, cutler. If your looking for consistent points I say go with brady. High upside or blow up games go with the other 3. Just my 2 cents
Please don't tell me you think the Pats will put on the brakes if they are up big????

I have seen this many of times up 20+ in the 3rd and 4th quarter and still passing and

being aggressive. If,..........IF, Gronk and Vereen stay healthy I definitely see Brady in the top 5 this year.

Thoughts?
is that elite?
4,500 yards and 35 TDs = QB 8 in 2012? Are you sure about that?

Where did Manning finish in 2012 with 4,659 yards & 37 TDs?
I am looking at pretty standard scoring (4 for passing TD, 1 pt per 24 yards, - for fumble or int). Manning finished 6th that year. Remember that year Cam had 8 rushing TDs and RG3 had 7 which jumped them ahead of of some prolific passers. Also, I am not using strictly 4,500 and 35. I am using 300 points total like the other person said.

If you look at Brady's fantasy points per game last season, there were sixteen quarterbacks that you were better off starting on your fantasy team, including guys like Josh McCown, Alex Smith and Sam Bradford. It’s easy to blame his decline solely on the fact that he was without Gronkowski for most of the season and was forced to lean on mostly young and inexperienced pass catchers, but when watching him play, one had to wonder whether the 36 year old veteran may just be facing his football mortality. Brady had his lowest yardage and touchdown totals since 2006 and struggled with his deep passing and general accuracy as well.

Maybe last year solely had to do with his lack of weapons, but Brady will be 37 and I'd rather let one of my league-mates reach for him based on his name recognition, and grab better value at the position a few rounds later with QB being so deep.

I will point out that I am a Jets fan, so I'm inherently biased towards rooting against Brady, so some of this could be wishful thinking.
Games 1-8: 228 YPG, 56%, 1.13 TD/G, .75 INT/G, 5.9 Y/A

Games 9-16: 315 YPG, 65%, 2 TD/G, .63 INT/G, 7.9 Y/A

he did better as he got older

Sure, I project Brady for 31 TDs (so I do still think he'll be good) and have Cutler at 30, Romo at 29 and Rivers at 28. I see Cutler and Romo both putting up more yards than Brady since both teams have atrocious defenses. Cutler also has some scrambling ability to add to his fantasy value - compared to Brady at least.
Cutler? :lmao: The only time he threw for more yards than Brady in a season is is when Brady went down in the first game.

Cutler is lucky to throw for 3k in most seasons and has not thrown for 20 TDs in three seasons. Cutler has never throw for 30 in a season but maybe he can in his 9th year in the league. He hasn't even attempted over 434 passes in over four years. That isnt worrying just about last season, its worrying about a career.

Cutler can never be mentioned in the same breath as Brady in any regard.

I heard a blurb the other day on NFL Network that the Patriots had 7 receivers tackled at the 1-yard line last year. Even if just five of those had scored, 4,300 yards and 30 TD passes would not have been looked as a bust. So yeah, even though I had him on several teams that were hurt by his early struggles, I think he's in good shape to bounce back and have a very good year. Plus, I think he and Peyton like to try and one-up the other, and while I don't think Brady is gonna throw 56 touchdowns :lol: , I do think he wants to light it up again to get his name back in the best QB in the league conversation.

he did better as he got older
he's improving with experience.

I have him ranked 6th ahead of Ryan (interchangeable IMO), Foles (still think this is a run first team and not crazy about his WRs), Wilson (only defense will hold him back but I think he takes the leap), Newton (only due to the injuries), Romo (dont trust him to stay healthy), Cutler (pfft will never trust him as my QB1), Kaep (love him as a real life QB but not fantasy wise), RG3 (yeah I dont trust him to stay healthy or keep the job all year).

False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:

Cutler? :lmao: The only time he threw for more yards than Brady in a season is is when Brady went down in the first game.

Cutler is lucky to throw for 3k in most seasons and has not thrown for 20 TDs in three seasons. Cutler has never throw for 30 in a season but maybe he can in his 9th year in the league. He hasn't even attempted over 434 passes in over four years. That isnt worrying just about last season, its worrying about a career.

:confused:

I'm not sure this is 100% rational, unbiased thinking on display.

I know this is a tough concept for people to grasp and embrace sometimes, but last year was last year and this year is this year.

NE was not equipped to deal with the losses of Hernandez, Lloyd, and Woodhead before camp even started. They also had a hard time coping with injuries to Gronk, Amendola, and Vereen. And they also never really got the kids healthy and learning the offense very well (Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce). All that led to a so-so season from Brady, who I suggest is far from done as a top tier NFL QB.

That being said, Brady was not as sharp as in season's past and I do think we his skills have dipped some. IMO, his accuracy was off a little, he did not connect on many deep balls, he may have lost a couple mph off his fastball, and he certainly struggled to get on the same page with his receivers. Part of the problem was the usually rock solid OL was not as good as in other years, and Brady under duress = nowhere near as effective.

And while he did do better fantasy wise with Gronk in the lineup, that is only part of the issue. Look at how many passes he attempted in some games last year. Over a 5 game stretch later in the year, he averaged 48 passes a game. What happened at the end of the season when he threw half as many passes? His fantasy numbers were slashed in half. In the stretch where he threw a million passes, NE played 5 straight games that all went down to the wire and were decided by 4 points or less (and the Pats went 3-2 in those games).

Given the lay of the land THIS YEAR, the receiving corps should be improved provided folks stay healthy. Almost every receiving option has been hurt over the past couple of years at some point, so wondering who can stay healthy is a legit concern. However, I suspect NE will have a much more balanced team. On paper, they seem to be solid in the air, on the ground, on defense, and on special teams.

So while I think Brady will do better in terms of completion rates and YPA, I am not sure he will throw the ball as often this season. I don't see Brady having to throw the ball anywhere near as much in the 4th quarter as he did last season. BRADY HAD 202 PASSING ATTEMPTS IN THE 4TH QUARTER AND OVERTIME LAST YEAR.

If the defense is better (and I believe it will be MUCH better), Brady could lose 75 passing attempts from last year's total between playing ahead and being a little more efficient. On the flip side, I would guess the team will tack on another 50 rushing attempts given that I project them to be ahead late and killing clock instead of having to pass-pass-pass to try to win in the closing seconds.

So I would project Brady in the 4300-4400 yard range and 30-32 total TD. Where that slides into the grand scheme of fantasy QBs depends on who you think everyone else will do.

I agree with the Tom Brady or May Ryan strategy this year. I just like the way my draft turns out better when I'm able to snag one of them in my mocks after the 6th round.

False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:

:confused:

I'm not sure this is 100% rational, unbiased thinking on display.
You are right, I only backed it up with factual stats. :shrug:

False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:

During those three seasons Cutler has missed time.

During many of those seasons the Bears ran a conservative offense and had top defense.

The Bears have a new offensive philosophy and a quarterback friendly head coach.

The Bears threw for 4,300 yards and 32 TDs last season

Cutler now has two stud WRs to throw to - and a few other nice weapons in Bennett, Holmes and Forte.

Cutler is 31, Brady is 37.

Things change - some adjust, some get left behind.

You start a topic, ask for opinions but only seem to want the ones that agree with yours.

False Start said:

Thoughts?
Brady has posted that mark in just 3 of his 13 seasons as a starter. Yes, he's done it 2 of the last 3 and think that number is well within reason this year but I think people tend to overstate Brady's floor. I remember a thread from 2 years ago where people were throwing out ridiculous numbers as his floor and he came up well short of those.

To answer the question of can he still be elite. I would never completely doubt Brady and Belichick but I think he's days as an elite FF QB are over. He'll still be good and if Gronk and Vereen stay healthy then he's going to be a solid QB1 but I think elite is expecting a bit too much.

False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:

During many of those seasons the Bears ran a conservative offense and had top defense.

The Bears have a new offensive philosophy and a quarterback friendly head coach.

Cutler now has two stud WRs to throw to - and a few other nice weapons in Bennett, Holmes and Forte.

Cutler is 31, Brady is 37, manning is 38

False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:

Cutler is 31, Brady is 37, manning is 38

That's already been addressed above - and not particularly relevant.

So many responses and good info in here. There is room for several people to be right in this one.

This is the one team in the league that I would say, "yes, they definitely could pull a FU move this year." They have the mentality, the talent and the schedule to be one of those teams where, just as everything went terrible for them last year in terms of continuity and talent availability, it could all fall into place this year and the Patriots could be that team out there beating people 45-17 every week just because they can.

All the things Anarchy outlined for us as a recap...what a run down, and I don't think even mentioned Welker. This is a team that lost their top FIVE pass catchers last year and then got slammed on defense too. Think about that. No matter how good you are, what is Manning without Thomas/Thomas/Welker/Ball AND Decker? What is Rodgers without his entire receiving corps? And then the defensive hits to top it off.

I don't know if it WILL be done, but I bet if it CAN be done, the coach and QB on that team will light it up this year. 37 years old or not, I don't think it matters for certain players (just like it didn't matter to the previously injured Manning). Age is not an issue in this case. §

False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:

During those three seasons Cutler has missed time. Cant stay healthy

During many of those seasons the Bears ran a conservative offense and had top defense. Rhetoric

The Bears have a new offensive philosophy and a quarterback friendly head coach. Rhetoric

The Bears threw for 4,300 yards and 32 TDs last season. McCown could be better than Cutler, he played like it.

Cutler now has two stud WRs to throw to - and a few other nice weapons in Bennett, Holmes and Forte. Point?

Cutler is 31, Brady is 37. Whats that have to do with redraft? Cutler still sucks, dont see him getting better because people overvalue a #2 WR when they had a better QB like McCown throwing to him a bunch.

You start a topic, ask for opinions but only seem to want the ones that agree with yours.
You are right, some do get left behind, especially those who doubt players like Tom Brady for players like Jay Cutler. Bolded my thoughts to your attempted points.

Also, I did start a topic on a discussion board which means it will be discussed and by discussing that means some may not agree. It does not mean I want everyone to agree with me, I can care less if you or they do. You brought up Cutler in a Brady thread, not me.

But in a discussion on a football site, if someone so ridiculously compares a sub par QB after 9 years to that of a HoF QB who was elite till just last year, thats not an opinion thats irrational thinking.

During many of those seasons the Bears ran a conservative offense and had top defense. Rhetoric

The Bears have a new offensive philosophy and a quarterback friendly head coach. Rhetoric

The Bears threw for 4,300 yards and 32 TDs last season. McCown could be better than Cutler, he played like it.

Cutler now has two stud WRs to throw to - and a few other nice weapons in Bennett, Holmes and Forte. Point?

Cutler is 31, Brady is 37. Whats that have to do with redraft? Cutler still sucks, dont see him getting better because people overvalue a #2 WR when they had a better QB like McCown throwing to him a bunch.

You are right, some do get left behind, especially those who doubt players like Tom Brady for players like Jay Cutler. Bolded my thoughts to your attempted points.

Also, I did start a topic on a discussion board which means it will be discussed and by discussing that means some may not agree. It does not mean I want everyone to agree with me, I can care less if you or they do. You brought up Cutler in a Brady thread, not me.

But in a discussion on a football site, if someone so ridiculously compares a sub par QB after 9 years to that of a HoF QB who was elite till just last year, thats not an opinion thats irrational thinking.
Reggie Wayne is a future Hall of Famer as well. Am I not allowed to say that I think Cordarrelle Patterson will have a better season than Reggie Wayne - even though he's never reached 1,000 yards receiving?

If Brady has another down season and it's then looks like a trend, can I think Cutler outperforms him in 2015?

I mentioned Cutler because my point was that I would rather let some one else grab Brady while I wait a few more rounds to grab a QB and he was one of the examples I brought up.

And just to sum up your "bolded thoughts";

- You think when a QB gets hurt in the past, it means he will get hurt in the future.

- You disagree that the Bears offense under Marc Trestman is different than the Bears offense under Lovie Smith.

- You don't think adding another talented weapon to an offense helps a quarterback improve his statistics.

- You think Josh McCown is a better QB than Jay Cutler.

Duly noted.

Reggie Wayne is a future Hall of Famer as well. Am I not allowed to say that I think Cordarrelle Patterson will have a better season than Reggie Wayne - even though he's never reached 1,000 yards receiving? Cordarelle being better than Wayne is rational, he is a 2nd year WR with a huge upside under Norvs offense and will be a focal point while Wayne is coming off a major injury with a bunch of targets to compete and is not the focal point. Reach much?

If Brady has another down season and it's then looks like a trend, can I think Cutler outperforms him in 2015? Why would anyone think Cutler is good now after 8 years of mediocrity?

I mentioned Cutler because my point was that I would rather let some one else grab Brady while I wait a few more rounds to grab a QB and he was one of the examples I brought up. I understand and I basically said why would you pass on an elite talent for a guy who is not close to elite. You made your reasoning I made mine.

And just to sum up your "bolded thoughts";

- You think when a QB gets hurt in the past, it means he will get hurt in the future. Is Welker more likely to get a concussion then someone who hasnt?

- You disagree that the Bears offense under Marc Trestman is different than the Bears offense under Lovie Smith. I never said that, just said its rhetoric so its nothing certain.

- You don't think adding another talented weapon to an offense helps a quarterback improve his statistics. I never said that, I just asked the point of it? Elite position players dont mean an elite QB.

- You think Josh McCown is a better QB than Jay Cutler. Yes, I do. Which is ironic because you think Cutler is better than Brady. Wasnt the city of Chicago wanting McCown to stay QB even when Cutler was healthy?

Duly noted.
:unsure:

So many responses and good info in here. There is room for several people to be right in this one.

This is the one team in the league that I would say, "yes, they definitely could pull a FU move this year." They have the mentality, the talent and the schedule to be one of those teams where, just as everything went terrible for them last year in terms of continuity and talent availability, it could all fall into place this year and the Patriots could be that team out there beating people 45-17 every week just because they can.

All the things Anarchy outlined for us as a recap...what a run down, and I don't think even mentioned Welker. This is a team that lost their top FIVE pass catchers last year and then got slammed on defense too. Think about that. No matter how good you are, what is Manning without Thomas/Thomas/Welker/Ball AND Decker? What is Rodgers without his entire receiving corps? And then the defensive hits to top it off.

I don't know if it WILL be done, but I bet if it CAN be done, the coach and QB on that team will light it up this year. 37 years old or not, I don't think it matters for certain players (just like it didn't matter to the previously injured Manning). Age is not an issue in this case. §
I'm starting to learn age is grossly overrated in this eras QBs.

Manning, Brees, Brady, Romo and Rivers all older QBs with no signs of slowing down regardless of injuries.

Users who are viewing this thread