What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Unofficial Joe Biden Recession Thread (1 Viewer)

It's not just a recession that has people worried though.  It's a recession compounded by inflation.  This inflation is the worst I've seen in my lifetime.  
Inflation is largely the cause of this recession.  That was a political choice to keep pumping billions into an already overheated economy.

Not sure how we can inoculate this recession from politics when it has been the choices therein, particularly with regards to stoking inflation and restricting energy production, that have largely caused this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we just got our second negative reading in a row I'm eagerly awaiting all the "but it's not really a recession" articles pumped out by the propagandist 4th estate.  They're coming.

Let's not forget that every time (except 1947, when they first started doing this) we've had 2 consecutive negative GDP quarters we've had a recession. Despite that there will be a huge push from the WH to deflect, obfuscate, change terminology, and deny this is the case.

Since we just got our second negative reading in a row I'm eagerly awaiting all the "but it's not really a recession" articles pumped out by the propagandist 4th estate.  They're coming.

Let's not forget that every time (except 1947, when they first started doing this) we've had 2 consecutive negative GDP quarters we've had a recession. Despite that there will be a huge push from the WH to deflect, obfuscate, change terminology, and deny this is the case.
It doesn't matter whether we are technically in a recession or not. The only ones who care are investors placing forward-looking bets.

Recessions only impact most voters through job loss.

If higher interest rates and the growth slowdown ripples through to earnings, then reduced earnings lead to layoffs, then voters will care bigly.

Inflation is a genuine and current political issue. Recession is not (yet).

It doesn't matter whether we are technically in a recession or not. The only ones who care are investors placing forward-looking bets.

If higher interest rates and the growth slowdown ripples through to earnings, then reduced earnings lead to layoffs, then voters will care bigly.

Private investment dropped by double digits, its worst showing since the COVID shutdown. And disposable personal income has now fallen for five straight quarters.

BEA

Anyone have any data on how many recessions we have had where unemployment was in the 3% range?  That's usually the biggest fears about recessions and what it will do to unemployment.    

Technically, it's only a recession if it comes from the Recession region of France.  This is just sparkling stagflation.

Anyone have any data on how many recessions we have had where unemployment was in the 3% range?  That's usually the biggest fears about recessions and what it will do to unemployment.    
That is the big counterpoint.  We are definitely seeing unemployment move a bit, but not in major steps you usually see.  Due to the velocity of mortgage rates we haven't seen the impact of the housing market coming to a standstill yet.  I fear that is coming and we'll start to see a kick up in unemployment and that tends to kick off a lot of other sectors to reduce headcount.

That is the big counterpoint.  We are definitely seeing unemployment move a bit, but not in major steps you usually see.  Due to the velocity of mortgage rates we haven't seen the impact of the housing market coming to a standstill yet.  I fear that is coming and we'll start to see a kick up in unemployment and that tends to kick off a lot of other sectors to reduce headcount.
Not that I want to see people out of jobs, but an uptick could be healthy.  UI rate is like 2.8% in WI.  Seems like everywhere I go there is someone complaining about long lines and no staff to help.  Stores/restaurants closing early or limiting their hours.   Lots of places need bodies.

I'm not entirely complaining about employees being in huge demand though.  My wife got a huge promotion to stay at her job (HR/PR) because they feared she'd leave for more money (and yes, she was planning to).  My employer has been even more flexible and just gave me a real nice bonus too because they don't want me to leave.      

Will the WH/Dems continue to hide from saying we're in a recession, or use it to help push more BBB agenda items?  "Recession" can get a lot of people scared.  Already been a push for more jobs, higher wages, deflation, lowering heath insurance/RX costs.  Wasn't some of this used in pushing the Chips Act?      

Recession has been used as a political weapon since at least the GHWB era. 

According to Joe, I forgot about an 8k check he sent me.  Maybe that's because I never received it.  Who do I talk to about that?  I think they owe me 8k. 

I was wondering what was going on during Yellen's press conference today.  She was asked if we were in recession which, IMO, correctly said not now but it's a possibility.  Another reporter later asked why she just wouldn't say we're in a recession.  She basically answered with what you wrote and she's 100% right.  I lived through too many recessions and the precursor was always massive job loss before and at the first half or so until recovery.

I would also like to throw out there that historically we never really know if we are in a bull/bear economy until we are well in it or finished with it.

The good news is that the Fed seems to be getting the results they are trying to achieve. Slowing growth to bring down inflation without millions losing their jobs.   Again, without the hindsight of 20/20 we won't know if they are successful for some time.

:2cents:

I was wondering what was going on during Yellen's press conference today.  She was asked if we were in recession which, IMO, correctly said not now but it's a possibility.  Another reporter later asked why she just wouldn't say we're in a recession.  She basically answered with what you wrote and she's 100% right.  I lived through too many recessions and the precursor was always massive job loss before and at the first half or so until recovery.

I would also like to throw out there that historically we never really know if we are in a bull/bear economy until we are well in it or finished with it.

The good news is that the Fed seems to be getting the results they are trying to achieve. Slowing growth to bring down inflation without millions losing their jobs.   Again, without the hindsight of 20/20 we won't know if they are successful for some time.

:2cents:
Yellen should confer with IK, since he’s apparently the decider of what an official recession is.  

According to Joe, I forgot about an 8k check he sent me.  Maybe that's because I never received it.  Who do I talk to about that?  I think they owe me 8k. 
Still waiting on mine. I deferred to tax time just to be safe. Filed correctly. Then the IRS changed it and took it away. Called them in March and they said our bad we'll fix it by June or July. Here we are a couple days from August and you can't even get on hold with the IRS anymore. They just tell you it's busy and hang up. I'm not going to see that Child Tax Credit for another 2 years probably. 

Still waiting on mine. I deferred to tax time just to be safe. Filed correctly. Then the IRS changed it and took it away. Called them in March and they said our bad we'll fix it by June or July. Here we are a couple days from August and you can't even get on hold with the IRS anymore. They just tell you it's busy and hang up. I'm not going to see that Child Tax Credit for another 2 years probably. 
I just got my 2020 tax return this April. Shockingly my 2021 return was processed and returned within weeks.

I just got my 2020 tax return this April. Shockingly my 2021 return was processed and returned within weeks.
Part of mine was returned. The problem was they took $8k from me by saying my child tax credit was $0. If they did nothing at all it would have been better. They adjusted it and then said they would fix it. Still haven't. 

There's been very little debate as to what a recession is up until now. The only difference is an unpopular Democrat president that the media is eager to protect. 
…and much of the MSM falls right in line with this narrative…getting to the point where we will need a new dictionary because a lot of words seem to be changing meanings of late.

There's been very little debate as to what a recession is up until now. The only difference is an unpopular Democrat president that the media is eager to protect. 
Well, this is a weird economy.  Usually recessions don't involve a super-strong labor market (that's part of why we have the inflation rate that we have, of course), and people rightly care about the unemployment rate for reasons that have nothing to do with GDP, inflation, interest rates, stock prices, or any other metric that folks commonly use to track economic conditions.  My guess is that most people would prefer our current economy -- with shrinking GDP and 3.6% unemployment -- to an economy with growing GDP and 7% unemployment.  That's completely reasonable.

But it's more fun to argue about what label to use.

…and much of the MSM falls right in line with this narrative…getting to the point where we will need a new dictionary because a lot of words seem to be changing meanings of late.
Tucker had a great segment showing how some current media outlets and experts who claim we aren't in a recession had previously defined a recession.  Its propaganda at this point. 

I think it's a lovely parting gift at the conclusion of your IRS audit.  Definitely contact them first.

Tucker had a great segment showing how some current media outlets and experts who claim we aren't in a recession had previously defined a recession.  Its propaganda at this point. 
I agree...Tucker Carlson is propaganda.  Good to see you realizing that finally.

I agree...Tucker Carlson is propaganda.  Good to see you realizing that finally.
Of course, he's a commentator, not a news reporter.  But showing cases where an organization says one thing and now says another is perfectly valid.  Those aren't Tucker's words he reporting, after all.

Well, this is a weird economy.  Usually recessions don't involve a super-strong labor market (that's part of why we have the inflation rate that we have, of course), and people rightly care about the unemployment rate for reasons that have nothing to do with GDP, inflation, interest rates, stock prices, or any other metric that folks commonly use to track economic conditions.  My guess is that most people would prefer our current economy -- with shrinking GDP and 3.6% unemployment -- to an economy with growing GDP and 7% unemployment.  That's completely reasonable.

I agree with all of this except that everybody is affected by inflation to some extent but not everybody is affected by high unemployment.  If people want to call this a recession, of course they are technically correct but it's kind of an intentional recession because the fed is  trying to slow down demand as a means of fighting inflation.  I'm not sure how well it will work though.

The inflation we're seeing is due primarily to the global supply chain issue but exacerbated in the U.S. (and other countries) by an over stimulated economy and people who were stuck in their houses for two years now able to go out and spend money.  Reducing demand will help some but it's the supply side that we really need to resolve.

All MSM is propaganda. Just slanted more one way than the other. 

Of course, he's a commentator, not a news reporter.  But showing cases where an organization says one thing and now says another is perfectly valid.  Those aren't Tucker's words he reporting, after all.
Just finding it interesting that people complaining so much about the media turn to Tucker Carlson...or other youtube sources that are far worse.  

Just finding it interesting that people complaining so much about the media turn to Tucker Carlson...or other youtube sources that are far worse.  

It would be fine if they just came out and said, "Yes, we're technically in a recession, but the labor market is very strong and the recession is currently having a negligible effect on the American worker" but I don't think I've heard them say that yet.

I dont turn to Tucker Carlson, but his video from last night was promoted on my youtube homepage. I clicked and listen and thought he brought up a great point. 

Then you come along and read it and instead of focusing on the factual point he made, want to focus on the messenger and make these type of posts. It's just old.

I don't want to get too technical...but technically speaking the WH Economic Adviser meets the technical definition of a liar.

Economists have a technical definition of recession, which is two consecutive quarters of negative growth - Brian Deese, Obama Economic Adviser, 2008

...two negative quarters of GDP growth is not the technical definition of recession - Brian Deese, Biden Economic Adviser, 2022

Users who are viewing this thread