What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Rise and Fall of ESPN (1 Viewer)

Ramblin Wreck said:
Her asking for the change is like the person that resigns before they get fired.  Just semantics.   She was terrible on SC and everyone knew it including her. 
From the times I saw her on SC, albeit was minimal at best, she was by far and away the worst anchor ever for that show.  Her silly antics, phony laugh, lack of knowledge of sports in general and her acting like she is from the streets just really has no place on sportscenter.  Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming miles away.  I dont think she was fired for her tweets I think she was fired because she is horrible and the tweets just added fuel to the fire.  

From deitsch again:

People I trust at ESPN, people who have dealt me straight for years, tell me Jemele Hill asked for the switch. You’ll no doubt hear otherwise. Up to readers to believe who they trust.
Maybe true. But the real question is whether she would have asked without everything else surrounding the request.

Jonathan Coachman leaves ESPN to return to WWE, starting tonight.

Jonathan Coachman signs with WWE, joins Raw announce team tonight

Ladies and gentlemen, “The Coach” has returned.

Jonathan Coachman, a longtime WWE interviewer and broadcaster and former ESPN personality, has signed with WWE to once again be part of the Raw announce team, WWE.com can confirm.

Coachman’s TV announcing duties will officially begin tonight, when he joins Michael Cole and Corey Graves at the Team Red announce desk.

Meanwhile, WWE Hall of Famer Booker T will resume his duties as a panelist on WWE’s pay-per-view Kickoff broadcasts and will continue to make appearances on Raw and beyond as a WWE ambassador.

The Coach began appearing on WWE television as an interviewer in 1999 during The Attitude Era as a frequent foil of The Rock, later expanding his role to include tenures as Raw commentator, Interim Raw General Manager and even as an in-ring competitor on multiple occasions.

Following nearly a decade as an on-air personality at ESPN — which included coverage of WWE with his “Off the Top Rope” segment — Coachman is back to call the action on Monday Night Raw.

Don’t miss The Coach’s return to Raw commentary tonight, beginning live at 8/7 C on USA Network.

One interesting thing is that ESPN has apparently decided to let non-ESPN on their podcasts and let ESPN people onto other outside ESPN podcasts.  It only changed after Skipper left, so it's definitely a change in that strategy at least.  

Simmons-Lowe

Simmons-Jalen Rose

Jacoby on one of the other Ringer podcasts

Chris Herring (538) and Givony is on Larioux's RealGM radio

Bobby Marks on Chris Mannix's show

And while I doubt the new Greenberg-Rose morning show will be great, I didn't realize they were going to be in the South Street Seaport.  Really interesting location as it's one of the few areas of NY that is just now getting re-done and it has this cool outdoor party scene in the summer.  It would almost be better if that was an afternoon show.

I have no problem with this. ESPN has long since left the idea of sports reporting behind and moved on to editorializing everything. Since they are not journalists, I don't feel they need to be held to journalistic ethics. That and they sensationalized the Wendy's thing in the title when that was the 3rd or 4th thing the guy listed as the reason for his weight loss, but they focused on it as it if was the only reason. 

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/mb5n44/lawsuit-chris-berman-left-racially-disparaging-voicemail-for-jemele-hill?utm_vicesportstwitter

Lawsuit: Chris Berman Left "Racially Disparaging" Voicemail for Jemele Hill

Another example provided in the suit specifically named longtime anchor Chris Berman and accused him of leaving a threatening voicemail message for Jemele Hill:

"In early 2016, ESPN's 'The Undefeated' personality Jemele Hill received a threatening and racially disparaging voicemail from Berman on her ESPN phone line."

Lawrence claims Hill notified ESPN executive Marcia Keegan -- who oversaw Hill's show, "His & Hers" -- but ultimately "nothing was done."

Berman, quite possibly the highest-profile anchor at the company, remained employed and was never publicly disciplined. One year later, he did see his duties reduced significantly, as he was phased out of most of ESPN's NFL programming. Hill, meanwhile, was publicly reprimanded and suspended last fall for being truthful about the President of the United States, and she has since been phased out of her SportsCenter hosting duties.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/mb5n44/lawsuit-chris-berman-left-racially-disparaging-voicemail-for-jemele-hill?utm_vicesportstwitter

Lawsuit: Chris Berman Left "Racially Disparaging" Voicemail for Jemele Hill

Another example provided in the suit specifically named longtime anchor Chris Berman and accused him of leaving a threatening voicemail message for Jemele Hill:

"In early 2016, ESPN's 'The Undefeated' personality Jemele Hill received a threatening and racially disparaging voicemail from Berman on her ESPN phone line."

Lawrence claims Hill notified ESPN executive Marcia Keegan -- who oversaw Hill's show, "His & Hers" -- but ultimately "nothing was done."

Berman, quite possibly the highest-profile anchor at the company, remained employed and was never publicly disciplined. One year later, he did see his duties reduced significantly, as he was phased out of most of ESPN's NFL programming. Hill, meanwhile, was publicly reprimanded and suspended last fall for being truthful about the President of the United States, and she has since been phased out of her SportsCenter hosting duties.
And hill denies it all.

http://deadsp.in/s36zyiQ

Sounds like the 6 experiment is an utter failure.  Michael smiths last sports center or the 6 as they call it is today.  Show is iced in less than one year.  Not surprised at all 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the 6 experiment is an utter failure.  Michael smiths last sports center or the 6 as they call it is today.  Show is iced in less than one year.  Not surprised at all 
NOOOOO I missed it  :( wanted a good laugh every time his smug face showed on my screen.

Their show failing at 6 pm shouldn't surprise anyone.  Their show doing well before was basically the result of it being on after First Take (which people still inexplicably watch).  Basically, it was a time slot hot.  In other words, Smith and Hill are the ESPN equivalent of Kenny Bania. 

The lack of video on PTI has been extremely sparse. So annoying as PTI is literally the only sports show I watch and the only reason I ever turn on ESPN. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/espns-new-show-get-up-will-tackle-sports-politics-stay-woke-1095881

ESPN Plans to Wake Up Woke With New Morning Show

It's a big, costly swing for the network, including leasing a 21,000-square-foot studio and office complex in Manhattan's South Street Seaport and nearly $15 million in talent salaries ($6.5 million for Greenberg, 50; $5 million for Beadle, 42; and $3 million for Rose, 45, sources say). Greenberg has worked with Rose on various ESPN platforms but never with Beadle, who returned to the network in 2014 after less than two years at NBC.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/espns-new-show-get-up-will-tackle-sports-politics-stay-woke-1095881

ESPN Plans to Wake Up Woke With New Morning Show

It's a big, costly swing for the network, including leasing a 21,000-square-foot studio and office complex in Manhattan's South Street Seaport and nearly $15 million in talent salaries ($6.5 million for Greenberg, 50; $5 million for Beadle, 42; and $3 million for Rose, 45, sources say). Greenberg has worked with Rose on various ESPN platforms but never with Beadle, who returned to the network in 2014 after less than two years at NBC.
Yikes, no chance in hell that's a show I'd watch. I expect that go over as well as "The Six" with Michael and Jemele. Btw, hopefully when no one watches this either it will be proof that not everyone is a racist. They simply don't want to watch crap.

Yikes, no chance in hell that's a show I'd watch. I expect that go over as well as "The Six" with Michael and Jemele. Btw, hopefully when no one watches this either it will be proof that not everyone is a racist. They simply don't want to watch crap.
I'm West Coast so I'm already three hours behind the curve but I don't understand the big deal with morning shows.  Who (other than POTUS 45) has time to watch them?  I don't turn on the TV before work unless something important is happening and that's not likely to be sports-related. 

The only time I do is when I'm on a business trip and want some background noise before I leave the hotel.  But even then, I'm not really watching the program and especially the ads.  It seems like an extension of drive time radio except with a much less captive audience.

I guess they know their audience and ESPN is hardly alone in spending big money on the AM timeslot.  I'd be no more inclined to watch Beadle/Rose/Greenberg as I would a Sports Center rerun from the night before.

You simply are not on twitter (lucky you) if you don’t think there were a huge amount of racists pointed right at them. 

You simply are not on twitter (lucky you) if you don’t think there were a huge amount of racists pointed right at them. 
Oh I know there was. It was why I was afraid to express my dislike of SC6. I was fearful of being lumped in with the racists. With this upcoming morning show garbage, I'll be able to freely express how awful it is.

nearly $15 million in talent salaries ($6.5 million for Greenberg, 50; $5 million for Beadle, 42; and $3 million for Rose, 45, sources say).
That's a lot of money for a bunch of middle age people talking about sports that early in the morning. At least there are no Golics in sight.

"its six-seat anchor desk will make room for guests including regular appearances from ESPN NFL analysts Booger McFarland and Damien Woody"

That must be a really big set.

Mr Anonymous said:
I'm not watching even with Beadle on there. If I didn't watch The Duke of Hazard for Daisy Duke, I'm not watching this :tfp: for Beadle.

I like Michelle Beadle but it's hard to pull off the "cool chick you want to hang out with" persona when you're in your 40s.
Plus. she looks like she has aged about 15 years in the last 5, so she doesn't even have the "hot chick" factor in her favor anymore, which, let's face it, is relevant when it comes to these sports talk shows (see: Joy Taylor and Molly Qerim).  These shows put extremely attractive females on those shows to bring in more viewers. 

im one of those complacent guys who when asked, 'what channel do you want to watch?', ill just say, 'put on sportscenter'.

well, steven a smilh was on.   :(

ESPN bought the US broadcast rights to Formula One racing this season.  The plan was to broadcast UK's Sky Sports feed with no US announcers.

They started tonight's Australian Grand Prix pre-race show with 5 minutes of crowd shots and dead air, then cut to commercials, returning to an old Bob Ley show about the 20 most dominant teams.  They finally got the sound and pictures sorted 21 minutes into the timeslot.

ESPN bought the US broadcast rights to Formula One racing this season.  The plan was to broadcast UK's Sky Sports feed with no US announcers.

They started tonight's Australian Grand Prix pre-race show with 5 minutes of crowd shots and dead air, then cut to commercials, returning to an old Bob Ley show about the 20 most dominant teams.  They finally got the sound and pictures sorted 21 minutes into the timeslot.
"Embrace dead air"?

"Embrace dead air"?
The race broadcast wasn't much of an improvement.  The graveyard shift guy in Bristol cut to commercial whenever he or she felt like it, sometimes cutting the announcers off mid-sentence.  The Sky Sports feed is commercial free so when ESPN returned to the action after 4-5 minutes of commercials, American viewers had no recap what had happened while they were away.

The race broadcast wasn't much of an improvement.  The graveyard shift guy in Bristol cut to commercial whenever he or she felt like it, sometimes cutting the announcers off mid-sentence.  The Sky Sports feed is commercial free so when ESPN returned to the action after 4-5 minutes of commercials, American viewers had no recap what had happened while they were away.
You'd think they could split screen a commercial in there.

It was so 80s :wub:  well besides for the fact it isn't the 80s anymore.  

Katie Nolan's brought on board to the network and gets passed over for this? I'm not sure of the direction of the show (less Hot Takey version of the Today Show?) but they are screwing up a 1 car parade. Again. 

That's a lot of money for a bunch of middle age people talking about sports that early in the morning. At least there are no Golics in sight.
Speaking of Golic, the him & Wingo show will be cut from 4 hours to 1 to make room for the 3 hours of Get Up!

Users who are viewing this thread