What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the next Kentucky basketball coach? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Billy Donovan?
The dream candidate for Kentucky fans ever since … oh, about 2007. Donovan was a Kentucky assistant under Rick Pitino and doesn’t have the baggage of his former boss. But would he leave the NBA for the fishbowl of Lexington? Does he have any interest in returning to college? It seems unlikely, but Barnhart has to at least make the call and make him say no.

Bruce Pearl?
We have long heard that Barnhart would not be interested in hiring someone who has served a three-year NCAA show-cause penalty, but he’s among the multiple SEC coaches who did more than Calipari with less. He won the SEC regular season in 2018 and 2022 and the league tournament in 2019 and 2024. He’s been to a Final Four (Auburn’s only one ever) more recently than Kentucky. So if a bunch of these other candidates say no, Pearl’s previous missteps might suddenly be less offensive to Barnhart. In terms of personality, the carnival-barking Pearl is a perfect fit.

Nate Oats?
This might make the most sense, but an $18 million buyout would require some seismic belief. Oats might be worth it to Kentucky. In five years at Alabama, the 49-year-old is 62-28 in the SEC with two league titles and four NCAA Tournament appearances. He’s reached two Sweet 16 trips and delivered an ultimate statement this year: a Final Four trip. Not only does Oats win, but his style of play would have Cats fans drooling. Fast pace, high pressure, 3-point centric. Oats had already proven he can recruit at a level required in Lexington and produces pros. In theory, what he’s already done at Alabama is what’s expected at Kentucky.
Rick Pitino?

Scott Drew?
Drew and UK AD Barnhart have been friendly since the 2021 NCAA Tournament bubble, when Barnhart was the selection committee chairman and Baylor won the title. Multiple people familiar with Barnhart’s thinking have said Drew would be his top choice whenever the job opened. The Baylor coach orchestrated arguably the greatest build in college basketball history. Baylor was going on probation when he got the job. Drew had the Bears in the NCAA Tournament in his fifth season. He has won two Big 12 titles and been to five consecutive tournaments. He is one of the sport’s top recruiters. Baylor has had a lottery pick the last two years and has another projected lottery pick this year. Baylor has just gone through this with Drew, who was also the top choice at Louisville. Baylor and Drew agreed recently to terms on a new contract, according to a source briefed on the matter.

Rick Pitino? No way, he's 71 years old now.

I bolded the ones I like the most. Danny Hurley's name has been throw up, but no way he leaves UCONN. Why would he?

MY WAG is that it'll be Oats.

If I were UK, I'd at least give a call to Jay Wright. He's a Philly guy and he probably wouldn't take the job, but I'd give it a shot anyway.

I'm theorycrafting it'll be a kneejerk reaction and they'll hire some Xs and Os guy that can't recruit worth a lick.

maybe it will just be a big bag with a dollar sign on the side of it and do away with the fraud of saying a human is the reason anyone goes there take that to the bank bromigos

Hurley on record saying he won’t coach into his 60s. Maybe a huge payday motivates him to leave UCONN.

A Pearl hire would be enough to turn in my lifetime fan card.

Oats is intriguing, but didn’t he kind of step in it with the comments around that shooting last year? That would go over even less well in Lexington.

Drew would be nice.

Glad Cal did us a solid and left on his own. You can’t use your two best players as subs all year, construct a team of all guards and three raw 7 footers, lose in the first game of BOTH tournaments, and think you were staying, When you are starting the players you promised to “get to the league” over winning games over a 5 year span, eventually the bill comes due.

A Pearl hire would be enough to turn in my lifetime fan card.

Oats is intriguing, but didn’t he kind of step in it with the comments around that shooting last year? That would go over even less well in Lexington.

Drew would be nice.

Glad Cal did us a solid and left on his own. You can’t use your two best players as subs all year, construct a team of all guards and three raw 7 footers, lose in the first game of BOTH tournaments, and think you were staying, When you are starting the players you promised to “get to the league” over winning games over a 5 year span, eventually the bill comes due.
All true. I can't believe he wouldn't start both Sheppard and Dillingham. D J Wagner was vastly overrated coming into his freshman year and couldn't shoot a lick. Plus, Ky couldn't figure out how to stop that Oakland player, who only shot 8 twos the entire season, from killing them with 10 threes. Ky was a great offensive team, but couldn't guard my grandmother. That was on Calipari. I've been a UK fan since the 60s and I can tell you this was the worst defensive team I've ever seen. It's almost as if they played without arms. People liked to throw around the statement Calipari was only a recruiter and terrible bench coach. Well, he wasn't really like that early on, but did nothing to disprove that the last several years.

Program hasn't been relevant in years. Nobody cares.
Still the all time winningest program, 8 NCAA titles, 17 final fours, 45 SEC regular season titles, but yes, the last 4 years they haven’t been relevant. Last final four was in 2015, elite 8 in 2017 and 2019, and last title was in 2012 and national runner up in 2014.

Last edited:
Oats is out (if an opening does appear).

I didn’t realize how big that $18m buyout is…would be the largest paid to hire a basketball coach by a mile.

Won’t be Drew, I know outsiders can’t understand it but Drew is so incredibly happy at Baylor.
I don't doubt he's happy at Baylor, but turning down the Ky job wouldn't be easy IMO. Drew and the Ky AD are good friends, so there is that.

Last edited:
MY WAG is that it'll be Oats.

If I were UK, I'd at least give a call to Jay Wright. He's a Philly guy and he probably wouldn't take the job, but I'd give it a shot anyway.

If Jay Wright came back to coach Kentucky...he'd be dead to me.

That being said, it'll never happen.

Blue Chips

@UKBlueChips
·
20m
Kentucky’s initial offer to Dan Hurley is $11M/Year over 5-7 Years 🤯 (per @JDrumUK)

As @RowlandRIVALS points out, that is more than Kirby Smart currently makes at Georgia 😳

I can't imagine Donovan will be interested. He didn't want to have to keep recruiting and now recruiting is even worse.

I wonder though, if a coach like Donovan could get by on recruiting 1-2 players, and then just working the portal. It seems that is the way of the future - finding players who fit your system and have a bit of experience.
Working the portal is still recruiting :shrug:

Program hasn't been relevant in years. Nobody cares.
Still the all time winningest program, 8 NCAA titles, 17 final fours, 45 SEC regular season titles, but yes, the last 4 years they haven’t been relevant. Last final four was in 2017 and last title was in 2012.
The key is to not take the bait and continue to enjoy the above without defending it.
True. Hell I even got that post incorrect and had to modify it, but I get your point.

Blue Chips

@UKBlueChips
·
20m
Kentucky’s initial offer to Dan Hurley is $11M/Year over 5-7 Years 🤯 (per @JDrumUK)

As @RowlandRIVALS points out, that is more than Kirby Smart currently makes at Georgia 😳
UConn barely makes anything compared to Kentucky in the SEC. UK can blow them out of the water. It’ll come down to how much money motivates Hurley.

I wonder if they’ll make a push for Donovan after the Bulls’ season is over. Probably unlikely they get him though.

Really surprising that Drew would turn them down. If that story is true.

Can't be a basketball or money decision. Maybe his wife just REALLY loves Magnolia.

Users who are viewing this thread