What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Rise and Fall of ESPN (1 Viewer)

That's why I like Sling's route of offering two different packages. They are finding out just how much their customers are willing to pay for ESPN. 

Which reminds me, I need to make sure to switch to the non-ESPN package as soon as the NBA Finals start.
Whoa, you can switch anytime?

I think the answer to this is multi-faceted.   There are several factors that have led to the slow down of ESPN. However--for me--it all comes down to one major category--poor business decision making and poor business planning.   I'm sure that many of you have watched the show "Shark Tank" and are familiar when the "Sharks" pass on a pitch because they feel that the pitch is more of a single product than it is a business.  In my opinion--this dynamic is where ESPN started it's trend downwards.   ESPN was the biggest fish in the sports broadcasting eco-system for decades--but basically did absolutely nothing to plan for or to change things up when that eco-system started to evolve.   In fact--they actually did the opposite--they contractually obligated themselves to massive long term deals based on them continuing to dominate market share--without considering that the changing eco-system could diminish how much money they were pulling in where they were the clear biggest fish.  

In conclusion--I agree with many that have answered "the internet" (followed by whatever punctuation mark that they like)---but I think that only is a partial answer.  ESPN mistakingly assumed that it's "single product" was strong enough to translate super well in an evolving business eco-system--and this was terribly misguided.   They showed zero ability to change, transform and exhibit a modicum of nimbleness when this happened. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN (and the NFL is heading down this path) are obsessed with getting new viewers/fans...locally these people are labeled pink hats...they tend to not be your "real" sports fans and usually are the type that jump on and off a bandwagon very quickly...as they tilt their content to get them I feel they are losing the hardcore fan...there is so much schtick on some of these shows it is ridiculous...I have felt for awhile there is an opening in the sports entertainment world for a channel that goes back to the roots of what made ESPN great in its early days...
A lot of major sports are suffering from the younger generation. Sports for older generations can be an all day event. Tailgate before the game. Spend 3 to 4 hours at the game. Eat and drink after the game.

The younger generation doesn't have that attention span for anything. Things have got to be short in nature, so they can move on to something else. Of the major sports, soccer appeals to them the most, because it's shorter than the other major sports, and when the game will end is pretty predictable, so they can tell their friends "I'll meet you at [___] o;clock. I'm coming from the game". Can't do that with football, baseball or basketball given how unpredictable the ending time is. 

Given the game is just one of many things they plan on doing during the day, they're aren't die hard fans. It's also why they don't religiously watch sports shows like Sportscenter. They're just not that into it, but they like the spice and variety it adds to their lifestyle.  

Of the major sports, soccer appeals to them the most, because it's shorter than the other major sports, and when the game will end is pretty predictable, so they can tell their friends "I'll meet you at [___] o;clock. I'm coming from the game". Can't do that with football, baseball or basketball given how unpredictable the ending time is. 
The game itself is actually longer, but of course with stoppage for the 100 commercial breaks for the other sports the event itself is much shorter.

Politician Spock said:
A lot of major sports are suffering from the younger generation. Sports for older generations can be an all day event. Tailgate before the game. Spend 3 to 4 hours at the game. Eat and drink after the game.

The younger generation doesn't have that attention span for anything. Things have got to be short in nature, so they can move on to something else. Of the major sports, soccer appeals to them the most, because it's shorter than the other major sports, and when the game will end is pretty predictable, so they can tell their friends "I'll meet you at [___] o;clock. I'm coming from the game". Can't do that with football, baseball or basketball given how unpredictable the ending time is. 

Given the game is just one of many things they plan on doing during the day, they're aren't die hard fans. It's also why they don't religiously watch sports shows like Sportscenter. They're just not that into it, but they like the spice and variety it adds to their lifestyle.  

Clearly, you aren't a college football fan.  

Might be too late but espn needs to hop on the soccer train. 

Afternoon midweek soccer matches segway into a sportcenter or whatever talk show and then onto a 7PM game.

NBC and FOX have packaged soccer really well to the big and small fan

Anyone that thinks rights fees keep going up is nuts. Rights fees have peaked and leagues will pull in and serve their own content before taking less money. 

That will be the end of ESPN. 

What do you mean too late?

ESPN showed soccer well before anyone else did and showed a ton of it.  They still have a bunch of soccer properties right now.  John Skipper has always been a big fan of the sport.
EPL, LaLiga, Bundesliga? Champions league?
They have none of that, right?
Thats mainly what I meant.
Do they have WC games and Euro Cup?

EPL, LaLiga, Bundesliga? Champions league?
They have none of that, right?
Thats mainly what I meant.
Do they have WC games and Euro Cup?
They have shown every one of those over the years going all the way back to the 1994 World Cup, with the exception of the Bundesliga.

They were the first to have the EPL, the first to have the Champions League, the first to have MLS, the first to have Euro Cup, first to have Gold Cup, first to have Copa America etc etc.

Basically NBC and Fox only jumped in to the pool after ESPN made the sport viable in the US (for English language stations specifically).

As with all sports rights they move from station to station over time.  Turner is the latest to jump into the soccer pool, spending a ton to get the rights for the Champions League.

They have shown every one of those over the years going all the way back to the 1994 World Cup, with the exception of the Bundesliga.

They were the first to have the EPL, the first to have the Champions League, the first to have MLS, the first to have Euro Cup, first to have Gold Cup, first to have Copa America etc etc.

Basically NBC and Fox only jumped in to the pool after ESPN made the sport viable in the US (for English language stations specifically).
ah, fair enough. Didn't realize that
When they had EPL was it a few novelty games or season long schedule?

They seem to have gotten rid of quite a few insiders for each sport. Is ESPN not worried about breaking stories any more or are they just going to be in the debate business now?
They seem to think spending money on big names that were coaches or players is a better way to go.  Guys like werder and Clayton did great jobs though and will be missed.  They are making a mistake I think

They seem to think spending money on big names that were coaches or players is a better way to go.  Guys like werder and Clayton did great jobs though and will be missed.  They are making a mistake I think
Agreed. Just because you played/coached the game doesn't make you a good person to actually talk about the game (see: Lewis, Ray). I'd rather get news scoops and inside info than have to listen to Herm Edwards ramble on about whatever NFL story of the day.

Agreed. Just because you played/coached the game doesn't make you a good person to actually talk about the game (see: Lewis, Ray). I'd rather get news scoops and inside info than have to listen to Herm Edwards ramble on about whatever NFL story of the day.
They just hired chip Kelly and Rex Ryan.  I would be shocked if they are still with ESPN in 3 years.  And not because they get back into coaching

Werder and Clayton are both

A ) 45+ years old

B) able to get their points across without yelling 

C ) able to report without being sensational or controversial 

That's why they had to go

http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/09/sc6-michael-smith-jemele-hill-ratings-espn-sportscenter/

I was curious how SC6 was doing, article is a few weeks old, but considering the investment they've put into it, they can't be happy with the return as of yet. 

When we look back at ESPN really declining in 10 years from now, I think SC6 will be the moment we can point to and say "they knew they were dead in the water here and were trying anything."

http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/09/sc6-michael-smith-jemele-hill-ratings-espn-sportscenter/

I was curious how SC6 was doing, article is a few weeks old, but considering the investment they've put into it, they can't be happy with the return as of yet. 

When we look back at ESPN really declining in 10 years from now, I think SC6 will be the moment we can point to and say "they knew they were dead in the water here and were trying anything."
I don't think it is bad but I like Smith and Hill.   I won't go out of my way to watch it but I am not turning it off either.

that article is typical thinly veiled  racist backlash against two young and hip AA sportscasters bringin' da flava  :thumbdown:

SC6 is awful. You don't even get the scores/news of the day until half way thru the program. And I like Smith. Or should I say, liked Smith. Thought he was good on Around the Horn and when he was still a beat writer and Sportscenter would have a segment with him.

I don't think it is bad but I like Smith and Hill.   I won't go out of my way to watch it but I am not turning it off either.
I want my sports to be my sports, I don't need to hear a bunch of talking heads discussing political, racial, and whatever else comes into their minds - basically everything except what I'm tuning in for. 

I get those opinions from longtime / well-respected journalists in PTI, 30 minutes of that is more than I need. These two have never done anything to earn respect IMO (certainly not Hill), so their opinions are worthless and without the simple highlights and news I want, SC6 is unwatchable IMO. 

I want my sports to be my sports, I don't need to hear a bunch of talking heads discussing political, racial, and whatever else comes into their minds - basically everything except what I'm tuning in for. 

I get those opinions from longtime / well-respected journalists in PTI, 30 minutes of that is more than I need. These two have never done anything to earn respect IMO, so their opinions are worthless and without the simple highlights and news I want, SC6 is unwatchable IMO. 
Off my lawn, I get it, I am not that boxed in.   I don't mind hearing younger peoples POV's.   It is just their opinion.  I watch HQ, then PTI everyday on dvr.   If SC6 is on after that then I watch.  

Off my lawn, I get it, I am not that boxed in.   I don't mind hearing younger peoples POV's.   It is just their opinion.  I watch HQ, then PTI everyday on dvr.   If SC6 is on after that then I watch.  
Nothing to do with the lawn, I'm 34 and connected to older and younger generations, I'm pretty diverse. 

There is no shortage of screaming idiot talking heads and their hot takes on the internet, TV, real life, everywhere. I gave this show a watch on a few occasions, it is just not good. 

SC always meant highlights, press conferences, post-game interviews, etc.

This show is just fluff. They tried taking a page from the SAS/Skip playbook and put two personalities on to fill the slot with fluff pieces and their own opinions. Unfortunately for them, the 6pm audience and the 12pm audience are not the same. The 12pm audience just has a lot of time to waste, prob bc they're mostly unemployed or don't have #### to do, while the 6pm audience wants the news, highlights, happenings, quick/easy. When they removed the aforementioned, I was gone.  

Nothing to do with the lawn, I'm 34 and connected to older and younger generations, I'm pretty diverse. 

There is no shortage of screaming idiot talking heads and their hot takes on the internet, TV, real life, everywhere. I gave this show a watch on a few occasions, it is just not good. 

SC always meant highlights, press conferences, post-game interviews, etc.

This show is just fluff. They tried taking a page from the SAS/Skip playbook and put two personalities on to fill the slot with fluff pieces and their own opinions. Unfortunately for them, the 6pm audience and the 12pm audience are not the same. The 12pm audience just has a lot of time to waste, prob bc they're mostly unemployed or don't have #### to do, while the 6pm audience wants the news, highlights, happenings, quick/easy. When they removed the aforementioned, I was gone.  
I tried watching it a few times and turned it off.  Each time was them just bull ####ting on the couch spouting their opinion on the hot topic of the day.  Didn't see a highlight any of the times I watched.  It's horrible.

You are correct about the type of show in the time slot.  This type of show works better at noon when people are eating lunch or not really watching and just have something on. At 6 I am paying a little more attention and it doesn't fly with me.

Users who are viewing this thread