What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE BOOK DRAFT (2 Viewers)

After the draft, I'll take the entire series of Goosebumps by R.L. Stine. Those books were the only reason I liked to read when I was little. Those books and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, every kid should have in their life to grow up right!

2.01 Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift. Since there is no satire category, I'll take this as my classic. I couldn't pass this up though as it's one of my favorite books.
Darn!Missed it by 2 picks!!!
He jumped the gun and skipped 2 people. I thought we added cosjobs and Assani
My bad my bad. I was going by the list at the top of the page. What do you guys want to do about my pick? Were any of you honestly going to take it? I gotta go here for a few hours in a little bit.
I'm sure Assani and cosjobs will leave it for you. It's not like its the only classic left on the board. In the event they do take it, PM me a few other choices so I can post your pick. Only need it for the next round since rikishi is out til tonight (likely).

1.08 "The Best Tales of Edgar Allen Poe (including Pit and the Pendulum, Tell Tale-Heart, Fall of the House of Usher" - by Edgar allen Poe.  This is my short stories collection pick.
Can we get a link to the specific book? There are countless Poe collections.
It's on the stacks here at the library I'm at right now. The editor alt author is Sherwin Cody. It was published in 1924 by Modern Library.
OK. Tought to judge a book by a cover (we can't see) though. ;)
Quick question: What if somebody wanted to draft "The Pit and the Pendulum" under Horror? Is that still allowed, or is it considered taken?(The reason why I ask is because I don't think we want somebody drafting "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare," but short stories and series might also tend to crowd out entries in other categories.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.08 "The Best Tales of Edgar Allen Poe (including Pit and the Pendulum, Tell Tale-Heart, Fall of the House of Usher" - by Edgar allen Poe.  This is my short stories collection pick.
Can we get a link to the specific book? There are countless Poe collections.
It's on the stacks here at the library I'm at right now. The editor alt author is Sherwin Cody. It was published in 1924 by Modern Library.
OK. Tought to judge a book by a cover (we can't see) though. ;)
Quick question: What if somebody wanted to draft "The Pit and the Pendulum" under Horror? Is that still allowed, or is it considered taken?(The reason why I ask is because I don't think we want somebody drafting "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare," but short stories and series might also tend to crowd out entries in other categories.
The Poe collection is short stories (I assume). Wouldn't work for Shakespeare, unless someone wanted to grab a collection of sonnets.I suppose you could take Pit and the Pendulum as horror, if you wanted.

:shrug:

cosjobs on the clock1.01 - rikishiboy - The Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov - Series

1.02 - DC Thunder - The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald - Classic

1.03 - Ivankaramazov - The Stand - Stephen King - Horror

1.04 - mon - The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck - Classic

1.05 - perry147 - The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkein - Science Fiction/Fantasy

1.06 - Uncle Humuna - Moby **** - Herman Melville - Drama

1.07 - kupcho1 - 孫子兵法 (The Art of War) - 孫子 (Sun Tzu) - Nonfiction

1.08 - Woz - The Best Tales of Edgar Allen Poe - Edgar Allen Poe - Short Story Collection

1.09 - cosjobs - - -

Note changed/corrected categories for Moby **** and Lord of the Rings (since it is a single story it belongs in scifi/fantasy vs. series)

who determines which category a certain book belongs in?
If it isn't obvious, make your case for categorization. If there is grumbling from the rest of the group, we can discuss. Based on the scifi draft, things are always open to interpretation. Unless it is an egregious miscategorization, I'm willing to allow a fairly broad definition of most any category.

We completely forgot about war books. I've read a ton more of those than mysteries.

We completely forgot about war books. I've read a ton more of those than mysteries.
Drama for fiction, nonfiction for, of course, nonfiction.
Yeah, I know they'll fit in almost anywhere, but there's so many good ones it could certainly have its own category.

Just got back from lunch.

Outstanding pix so far, esp. Grapes of wrath and THe Stand off my short list. Give me a minute to regroup

Love this draft, you stumbling herd of myopic :nerd: s. Are you guys using a sim machine to to play out a season when the draft is done?Maybe Houghton-Mifflin or Random House could generate a sim based on total sales, number of reprints, editions, weeks on the Times best seller list, positive reviews, curriculum additions, etc...? All the nerds are doing it.

For 1.09 I take Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

The story was originally a script that Larry McMurtry wrote in 1971 for Peter Bogdanovich to direct John Wayne as Call, Jimmy Stewart as Gus, and Henry Fonda as Jake Spoon.

It won the 1986 Pulitzer Prize. Amazon reviews.

We should have had a western and/or modern novel category, but I guess I've have to go drama.

Love this draft, you stumbling herd of myopic :nerd: s.

Are you guys using a sim machine to to play out a season when the draft is done?

Maybe Houghton-Mifflin or Random House could generate a sim based on total sales, number of reprints, editions, weeks on the Times best seller list, positive reviews, curriculum additions, etc...?

All the nerds are doing it.
And you're not in because you slept too late? :P

Not sure if it is a "classic" or not but I'll take 1984 for that category. Then give me The Catcher in the Rye for drama.

For classic, at 2.02, I'm going with Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

We let in jwfkuasbfabrcrwvbrwbuvwrbv? Omg, we need a special jwnnsindnfvsvroi rule.

Sweet Baby Jesus, they're now flying off my draft board. So far, Lonesome Dove is the only one I haven't read. :bag:

Woz had already gone with Gullivers Travels, Jonathan SwiftETA: Classic

Are you guys using a sim machine to to play out a season when the draft is done?

Maybe Houghton-Mifflin or Random House could generate a sim based on total sales, number of reprints, editions, weeks on the Times best seller list, positive reviews, curriculum additions, etc...? 

No, really. It's true I am currently occupied with other nerdy pursuits and missed the boat on this one. But I regard you guys as the beau monde of the drafting nerd set. I'll quietly observe (and learn) from the sidelines.Anyway, what do you do, exactly, after the draft? I mean, who wins? Don't tell me that will be left to the FFA to determine. Face it-you NEED a sim machine.

No, really. It's true I am currently occupied with other nerdy pursuits and missed the boat on this one. But I regard you guys as the beau monde of the drafting nerd set. I'll quietly observe (and learn) from the sidelines.Anyway, what do you do, exactly, after the draft? I mean, who wins? Don't tell me that will be left to the FFA to determine. Face it-you NEED a sim machine.
Well, I suggested we get three FBG who know books to select the winners. Interested in being one of the judges?

2.04 - A Confederacy of Dunces / John Kennedy Toole / 1980 / Drama

The title is a reference to a saying by the classic master of satire, Jonathan Swift: "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." (Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting)
so I guess it's a timely pick coming immediately after Gulliver.There's an interesting backstory to A Confederacy of Dunces. Toole committed suicide and his mother tried to get his book published. She sent it to the novelist Walker Percy, who probably receives many manuscripts. Percy ignored it. Toole's mother did not give up and eventually Percy read the book and became its champion.A Confederacy of Dunces was published in 1980 and won the Pulitzer Prize the following year. In Ignatius O'Reilly, Toole created one of the most memorable characters in fiction. "He disdains modern civilization, and particularly pop culture, which in a perverse twist, becomes his obsession, merely to mock its inanity and express his outrage with its lack of "theology" and "geometry." He prefers the scholastic philosophy of the Middle Ages, especially that of Boethius."There are several passages in A Confederacy of Dunces which are laugh out loud funny no matter how many times I read them. The letter O'Reilly writes to the customers of Levy Pants still brings tears of laughter to my eyes. It's simply a brilliant book and I consider myself fortunate that it fell to me at 2.04.

Humuna on the clock, but I think he sent picks to Woz, who sent his pick to me, so who knows when we'll see 2.05.

1.01 - rikishiboy - The Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov - Series1.02 - DC Thunder - The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald - Classic1.03 - Ivankaramazov - The Stand - Stephen King - Horror1.04 - mon - The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck - Classic1.05 - perry147 - The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkein - Science Fiction/Fantasy1.06 - Uncle Humuna - Moby **** - Herman Melville - Drama1.07 - kupcho1 - 孫子兵法 (The Art of War) - 孫子 (Sun Tzu) - Nonfiction1.08 - Woz - The Best Tales of Edgar Allen Poe - Edgar Allen Poe - Short Story Collection1.09 - cosjobs - Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry - Drama1.10 - Assani Fisher - 1984 - George Orwell - Classic2.01 - Assani Fisher - Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger - Drama2.02 - cosjobs - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain - Classic2.03 - Woz - Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift - Classic2.04 - kupcho1 - A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole - Drama

2.04 - A Confederacy of Dunces / John Kennedy Toole / Drama / 1980

The title is a reference to a saying by the classic master of satire, Jonathan Swift: "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." (Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting)
so I guess it's a timely pick coming immediately after Gulliver.
Doh! Great pick. Would have taken that over Huck if I remembered it in time. Not that I don't love Huck.

Well, I suggested we get three FBG who know books to select the winners. Interested in being one of the judges?
I think we should just let the entire FFA vote...JMHO.

jwnsfsnbsiildf = Assani = THe Draft Killer
ya he was slow in the desert island draft
I don't think he ever finished the Seinfeld Draft
I am confounded here, guys.
Assani is set up at the turn and he managed to make his 1st 2 picks on time. Would everyone feel more comfortable if he had another person with his picks? This draft will stop at the next turn since rikishiboy is in Asia anyway.

I think we should just let the entire FFA vote...JMHO.
Problem is, I don't think much of the FFA reads. They'll just pick the ones that got turned into movies. Or it'll be a popularity contest.

Boo-yeah!

Doh! Great pick. Would have taken that over Huck if I remembered it in time. Not that I don't love Huck.
I had 13 books on my list (not counting my series) and Huck was one of them. Excellent pick (and an off-the-charts selection had we kept the Young Readers as a category).

For classic, at 2.02, I'm going with Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

We let in jwfkuasbfabrcrwvbrwbuvwrbv? Omg, we need a special jwnnsindnfvsvroi rule.
Good pick. This is one of the very few classics to justify a high draft spot on VBD principles.

Users who are viewing this thread