What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** The 8-8 San Francisco 49ers - Let's forget 2014 thread *** (1 Viewer)

Johnson last season with 12 starts: 52 for 597, 3 TDs.
lol...why not...in his defense, he wasnt 100% most of the year, and losing Gailey and Fitz hurt him, especially with a rookie QB throwing to him. The 3 previous years he had 3000+ yards and 23 total TDs. In those 3 years, Buffalos offense was ranked 28th, 14th, and 21st and Fitzpatrick passed for 3000, 3800, and 3400 yards....so Johnson does have the ability to put up numbers in an average offense if healthy. That said, he was the #1 WR in Buffalo, which he wont be in SF where theres plenty of other weapons.I agree with drummers point that it doesnt really matter WHO they bring in at WR, the offense isnt gonna suddenly vault into the top 15 in passing. Its just not.

So drummer, what do you think about SFs first 4 picks? And they also snagged what many consider to be the best fullback in the draft in the 7th round...I wonder if that says anything about Bruce Miller's progress.
I agree that they are probably not going to suddenly become a top 10 or even top 15 passing team. But IMO that's not what's really needed. They need to focus on converting more FG's to TD's in the red zone. I feel like their red zone woes have been their biggest Achilles heel. And I blame much of that on Roman. Kap probably won't ever become a prolific passing QB. But he can make plays when needed and win big games. If he can improve even marginally they will continue to excel.This years WR depth will give him the best set of weapons since the 2011 run started. If they can move the needle a little on scoring more TD's in the RZ I think they will stay in the hunt with a real shot at winning one in the next few years.
Kaep is still the starting QB for the 49ers, and unless he finally shakes off his one read WR myopia (see: Crabs), they still can post a revolving door at WR to which he might not throw to anyway. Crabs, Boldin, and Davis all had one of their best seasons with Kaep, but even so, Kaep posted games of 127, 150, 167, 113, 164, 91!, 127, 175, and 191 yards in a game yardage wise. That's not prolific, albeit the WR corp was injured.
No argument here regarding Kap's progression issues. He's going to have to improve in that area no doubt but even with those issues we were still a few points away from both the one seed and a trip to another SB. Does he suck at moving through his progressions, sure. But he also can make key plays at times that put them in positions to win that few can. I am more excited by the depth than the idea that they are ever going to be an outstanding passing team. Maybe this will allow them a few more 3 WR looks this year in the RZ than normal. Anything IMO to help them convert more TD's.

Johnson last season with 12 starts: 52 for 597, 3 TDs.
lol...why not...in his defense, he wasnt 100% most of the year, and losing Gailey and Fitz hurt him, especially with a rookie QB throwing to him. The 3 previous years he had 3000+ yards and 23 total TDs. In those 3 years, Buffalos offense was ranked 28th, 14th, and 21st and Fitzpatrick passed for 3000, 3800, and 3400 yards....so Johnson does have the ability to put up numbers in an average offense if healthy. That said, he was the #1 WR in Buffalo, which he wont be in SF where theres plenty of other weapons.I agree with drummers point that it doesnt really matter WHO they bring in at WR, the offense isnt gonna suddenly vault into the top 15 in passing. Its just not.

So drummer, what do you think about SFs first 4 picks? And they also snagged what many consider to be the best fullback in the draft in the 7th round...I wonder if that says anything about Bruce Miller's progress.
I agree that they are probably not going to suddenly become a top 10 or even top 15 passing team. But IMO that's not what's really needed. They need to focus on converting more FG's to TD's in the red zone. I feel like their red zone woes have been their biggest Achilles heel. And I blame much of that on Roman. Kap probably won't ever become a prolific passing QB. But he can make plays when needed and win big games. If he can improve even marginally they will continue to excel.This years WR depth will give him the best set of weapons since the 2011 run started. If they can move the needle a little on scoring more TD's in the RZ I think they will stay in the hunt with a real shot at winning one in the next few years.
Kaep is still the starting QB for the 49ers, and unless he finally shakes off his one read WR myopia (see: Crabs), they still can post a revolving door at WR to which he might not throw to anyway. Crabs, Boldin, and Davis all had one of their best seasons with Kaep, but even so, Kaep posted games of 127, 150, 167, 113, 164, 91!, 127, 175, and 191 yards in a game yardage wise. That's not prolific, albeit the WR corp was injured.
No argument here regarding Kap's progression issues. He's going to have to improve in that area no doubt but even with those issues we were still a few points away from both the one seed and a trip to another SB.Does he suck at moving through his progressions, sure. But he also can make key plays at times that put them in positions to win that few can. I am more excited by the depth than the idea that they are ever going to be an outstanding passing team. Maybe this will allow them a few more 3 WR looks this year in the RZ than normal. Anything IMO to help them convert more TD's.
Well, we also have to assume that the WR corp stays healthy as well, since the karma seems to have a sort of weird mathematic of "add one WR, then subtract two". Which leads to depth, and they don't really have much there if even one WR goes down.

Last edited by a moderator:
In other news:

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/05/09/crash-witness-sues-49ers-culliver-over-brass-knuckles-incident/

San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver is being sued by the man who says the football player threatened him with brass knuckles after Culliver allegedly slammed into a bicyclist in San Jose and tried to flee.

Culliver, 25, was driving recklessly in his Ford Mustang on a suspended license when he struck a bicyclist shortly after 10 a.m. March 28 at Tully Road and South Seventh Street in south San Jose, police said.

As Culliver left the scene, Marc Santos, who witnessed the crash, followed Culliver in his sport utility vehicle and cornered him on a nearby street, police said.

In a lawsuit filed last month in Santa Clara County Superior Court, Santos said Culliver got out of his car and threatened him with brass knuckles before trying to flee again. Culliver’s alleged escape attempt was thwarted when he ran into Santos’ Yukon Denali, the suit says.

Santos’ wife and three children were with him in the SUV. None of them was injured.Officers arrived and arrested Culliver without incident. He was booked into Santa Clara County jail and has pleaded not guilty to charges of misdemeanor hit-and-run and felony possession of brass knuckles.The bicyclist suffered minor injuries, police said.

Santos said in the suit that he and his family were the victims of “violent, reckless, oppressive, malicious, depraved, despicable and morally reprehensible crimes and other related behavior committed by” Culliver, who acted “by way of self-centered arrogance.”
Oh, and the ehomer fan comment of the day:

Santos should be charged with "child endangerment " for putting his kids at risk. This guy is a moron , what would have happened if Culiver pulled out a gun and started shooting. Oh no, he needed to play macho man to his wife and kids. Lawsuit should be thrown out for stupidity.
YEAH, WHAT WOULD HAD HAPPENED IF CULLIVER PULLED OUT A GUN AND STARTED SHOOTING?

Well, time to revisit once again the 2011 draft, now with Culliver back in the news.

1. Aldon Smith - not since Rep. Peter Russo on House of Cards have I seen a similar career trajectory in an NFL player as of recent. I figure Smith waking up to drawn curtains revealing daylight an hour before his court date after another bender. This time with Irish Car Bombs in place of imagined bombs to down a Malaysian airliner. It's safe to say he is delusional as well as a huge bust of a draft pick. But oh yes, he has plenty of love, plenty of support, plenty of fans behind him every step of the way. Unless they get in his way of his next drink.

2. Colin Kaepernick - funny thing is, he still may not be the Franchise QBOTF. Even though he has huge upside and physical talent. The 49er passing offense has improved however slightly with Kaep under center over his predecessor in Alex Smith. His legs are enough to keep him under center (unless Blaine Gabbert stops being a turtle and like, starts to look like a serviceable QB), but his decision making and overall QB play need to take the next step towards improving the passing offense more dramatically, enough to warrant a big time contract, which the 49ers might be hesitant to grant him. They shouldn't at this point. Sure he again has a huge upside, but he hasn't proven it as an overall field general. This season is his chance to put more of it together. I don't feel he may turn out to one of the Elite as far as a passer (when he can still at times look like Geno Smith), but I love a big time arm, and Kaep has one. I believe in Kaep, so I'm sold on this pick.

3. Chris Culliver - Ok, another example of potential derailed by decisions off the field. When you see a run on DBs during the latest draft, chances are there are preparations for life without you. When you are spending most of the off-season in tolerance and anger management programs, you may have social issues. When you are driving with a suspended license and cause a hit and run, well, you have maturity issues period. Instead of spending an off-season developing your on the field skills, you are spending it apologizing for your lack of skills off of it. Now when they mention Culliver and hit and run in the same sentence, it's not about his football skills. He couldn't even cover a good Samaritan.

4. Kendall Hunter - Like my Samsung phone, I have to try and hack it in order to make it work. When I press an app, it lags when it has to launch. Same goes for Hunter when he touches the ball. Right now my Samsung is on the shelf because I bricked it. Much like Hunter who runs with a load of them. Thing is I can throw my phone against the wall and put a hole in it. You throw Hunter against a wall and it's an 8 yard loss behind the line of scrimmage.

5. Daniel Kilgore - At this point a versatile backup, but not of the Pro-Bowl potential on the offensive line as starter at this point. Hasn't had to start in any games yet, has had an off field issue as well, but otherwise adds depth with the potential of being solid and workmanlike. Not much to see here yet, but again he is just depth for the offensive line at this point, which is always a good thing when you can eek out a career as one.

6. Ronald Johnson - Not with the team.

6. Colin Jones - Not with the team.

7. Bruce Miller - Former defensive player out of college to converted fullback, one of the nice suprises of the 2011 draft that has to lend credit both Miller and the coaching staff. His 2013 season where he caught 25 receptions for 243 yards as an outlet for Kaep was huge, given the loss of TE Delanie Walker and the morose of his replacement in TE Vance McDonald. Miller IMO is the success of the 2011 draft over Smith and Culliver. Because he exceeds expectations, and doesn't take it for granted.

7. Michael Person - Not with the team

7. Curtis Holcomb - Not with the team

So far you have at least three players out of the 2011 draft, the "signature draft" of Trent Baalke who has the best chance of being with the team for the long term, and at least two that should see starting the 2014 regular season without any off field incidents (with Miller maybe being healthy enough to start). You might say "well, how can one foresee off field issues and injuries?". Well, that's why you grade a draft 4 years down the road. To see who is left after it.

Funny thing that came to mind:

I have lap dog Maiocco on my Facebook feed (I had to add him back when I wrote for a 49er blog), and he still posts about Alex Smith. This time about a commencement speech he had at Utah.

"Still one of the classiest guys I covered in the NFL"

You only cover one team Maiocco, and even then, you aren't objective doing that.

I posted on the feed:

"Surprised he didn't take a sack walking to the podium".

That didn't go over well, lol. I even had a person call me MR. SMART MAN.

I asked if she was Sam Kinison in Back to School.

GB 49er fans.

With rookie drafts going on, I wanted to throw my thoughts on Hyde out there and see if my fellow Niner fans agree.

In the past 4 drafts, we have spent a 4 (Kendall Hunter), 2 (LM James), 4 (Lattimore), and 2 (Hyde) on RBs. This is an awful lot of assets to spend on the RB position. The fact that Anthony Dixon even got a carry last year is--to me--an indictment of the crew as a whole. It very well could be that players have not panned out as expected (LMJ), but I think it is fair to say that nobody has really been provided a substantial opportunity to play due to Gore's success and longevity.

To me, Lattimore was a BPA selection that was to be the heir apparent to Frank if he could come back healthy. Hyde's selection--along with Lattimore's recent comments on his lack of burst--tell me that the team is no longer planning on Marcus being the heir.

I think Hyde will have opportunity sooner rather than later--and Rathman will get him pass blocking in camp, no doubt. I have Hyde ranked above Sankey and after my elite 3 WRs (Sammy / Evans / Cooks).

5Rings said:
With rookie drafts going on, I wanted to throw my thoughts on Hyde out there and see if my fellow Niner fans agree.

In the past 4 drafts, we have spent a 4 (Kendall Hunter), 2 (LM James), 4 (Lattimore), and 2 (Hyde) on RBs. This is an awful lot of assets to spend on the RB position. The fact that Anthony Dixon even got a carry last year is--to me--an indictment of the crew as a whole. It very well could be that players have not panned out as expected (LMJ), but I think it is fair to say that nobody has really been provided a substantial opportunity to play due to Gore's success and longevity.

To me, Lattimore was a BPA selection that was to be the heir apparent to Frank if he could come back healthy. Hyde's selection--along with Lattimore's recent comments on his lack of burst--tell me that the team is no longer planning on Marcus being the heir.

I think Hyde will have opportunity sooner rather than later--and Rathman will get him pass blocking in camp, no doubt. I have Hyde ranked above Sankey and after my elite 3 WRs (Sammy / Evans / Cooks).
They are a running offense. Don't forget how much they have invested in the offensive line. More than the days of Walsh.

Lattimore to me is a reach pick. He could have great upside, but shelving him for a season to get to 100% while not knowing what he can bring to the NFL game is a reach. More than likely it will be all Gore again this season, unless he get's hurt. More than likely it will be all Gore in 2015, lol.

5Rings said:

I see the argument for Hyde, but you really have no idea until Hunter (another year removed from Achilles surgery) and Lattimore get out there and the staff can see what they can do.

5Rings said:

I see the argument for Hyde, but you really have no idea until Hunter (another year removed from Achilles surgery) and Lattimore get out there and the staff can see what they can do.
I think we've seen what Minus Yardage Hunter can do. Which is get blown up behind the LOS.

They are a running offense. Don't forget how much they have invested in the offensive line. More than the days of Walsh.

Lattimore to me is a reach pick. He could have great upside, but shelving him for a season to get to 100% while not knowing what he can bring to the NFL game is a reach. More than likely it will be all Gore again this season, unless he get's hurt. More than likely it will be all Gore in 2015, lol.
Def Gore this year, don't think anyone doubts that. He'll be 32 in 2015 though without a contract. Maybe they sign him to a 1 year deal, but only to be a situational player. I'd be shocked if Hyde didn't lead the team in carries in 2015. Outside shot for Lattimore I guess, but he has to come back all the way.

Apparently Vernon Davis is skipping OTAs and trying to get a new contract per Matt Maiocco

Davis signed a five-year extension in 2010 that included a $10 million signing bonus and averages $7.35 million annually through the 2015 season. His average salary ranks No. 3 among tight ends behind New England’s Rob Gronkowski ($8 million) and Dallas’ Jason Witten ($7.4 million).

Under terms of the front-loaded deal, Davis was scheduled to earn $5.3 million (before forfeiting his workout bonus) this season and $4.95 million in 2015 in salary and bonuses.
Seems about right, not sure how much more he really expects to make.

Yeah, Davis has certainly been compensated well over the course of his career. He's not some 6th round pick who has been outperforming his deal for years.

Kaepernick gets a six year extension through 2020 for $110+ million.

Details TBA, but reportedly the contract is heavily guaranteed.

* $61 million guaranteed.

2M+ less than Flacco, 200k more than Cutler.

I love it, if we had waited one more year it would have been in the 20 range. This smart deal should allow us to keep one extra guy (Boone, Iupati, Crab, VD, etc).

2M+ less than Flacco, 200k more than Cutler.

I love it, if we had waited one more year it would have been in the 20 range. This smart deal should allow us to keep one extra guy (Boone, Iupati, Crab, VD, etc).
In real dollars this is probably somewhere south of $20m year, right? I'll take it.

drummer said:
So what's your guys' problem? Why can't you win a Super Bowl?
You and johnjohn can get married too. Weird huh?
This is exactly the kind of thing we don't want here. Take some time off and try next week. You seem like you know football so we value your opinions here. But this kind of bickering and slap fight stuff is not what we want. If you're unable to stay away from that, find another board.

J

I think we've seen what Minus Yardage Hunter can do. Which is get blown up behind the LOS.
Hmmmmmmmm. 4.6 career average. Must not get blown up behind the line too often.

What's the scoop on Aldon Smith this year? Since he's not an offensive skill player, we don't see nearly the speculation about his status, but he's in a bunch of trouble, right?

28.0 ypg. over 3 seasons. You really don't know how to read stats lines do you?

So what's your guys' problem? Why can't you win a Super Bowl?
You and johnjohn can get married too. Weird huh?
This is exactly the kind of thing we don't want here. Take some time off and try next week. You seem like you know football so we value your opinions here. But this kind of bickering and slap fight stuff is not what we want. If you're unable to stay away from that, find another board.

J
Oh sorry. I guess I'm the problem here as always.

johnadams said:
What's the scoop on Aldon Smith this year? Since he's not an offensive skill player, we don't see nearly the speculation about his status, but he's in a bunch of trouble, right?
He hired new agents, Relativity Sports. Who knows what that means in the long run, but I guess contract talks won't happen until later after this season (the 49ers opted his 2015 contract), and I don't know what's going on with his gun charges.

Either way he is walking a fine line in SF. Say for instance scheme wise they get as much sack production without Smith as they would with him. The 49ers still won without him, and his value is really predicated on whether he stays sober or not. Who knows if his new agents have a contingency plan, and are working towards rehabbing both in his image and as well as his off field issues, but it looks like Smith wants a big pay day in the future, but of the 49ers can get the sack production without him, and he still has issues that lead him to be what he has been - a bust - than yeah, new agents have their work cut out for them.

July 25th is when Smith will be facing sentencing for the gun charges. My guess it that it will be a small slap on the wrist, and may only miss 3 games at the most at the start of this season.

Obviously much better than you do.................

LaMichael James dislocated his elbow in practice today and could be out for a month. Word is Lattimore is close but with the question marks surrounding him I would guess they have to bring in one or two others at this point. Hyde is definitely going to have a chance to shine but other than Hampton they don't have any depth behind Gore.

On the CB topic sounds like Brock is having a strong camp thus far and Culliver appears to be back to full strength. CB is the position I am most interested in as well. It appears the two starters and the rookie Ward are having pretty good camps thus far, granted it's only 3-4 days in.

I am really looking forward to the preseason this year. So many players to keep an eye on. Carradine, Hyde, new WR's and DB's, LB battle. A lot of new faces in the mix.

Quiet week in this thread...

Hunter waived then cleared waivers and put on IR. Surprised when I first heard it, but makes sense. He's done for the year. Is the last year of his contract, why would another team pick him up?

Gabbert looked... well.. gabbert-esque. Was actually looking forward to seeing him in the first game after the reports from camp seemed glowing, but he was awful. On the plus side, Johnson looked good.

Hyde looked really good, better then I was expecting.

I was hoping the Boone contract situation would be worked out quickly, but the newest trade rumors have me worried.

Two preseason games, I haven't seen much to get excited about. Today's game against the Broncos was flat out full of nothing.

It's the 2nd preseason game and most of the starters have not been playing :shrug: They are running a very vanilla gameplan. Let's check back after the full starting squads play for a full game.

Obviously much better than you do.................
How is Hunter working out now?

ETA: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuntKe00/gamelog/2013/

Math as well as logic aren't strong suits of yours. Humor is.

Two preseason games, I haven't seen much to get excited about. Today's game against the Broncos was flat out full of nothing.
Seriously dude (or dudette), you need to get a life. Apparently yours is so miserable you have to spend time in your rival's homer thread to take potshots in order to find happiness. Your own fanbase despises you. Have a great day.

are Niners' fans worried yet? would love to hear what they think?
It's hard to say. Harbaugh doesn't give a hoot about the media or winning preseason games. They barely practiced this week (having spend extra days on the road after the Baltimore game.)

But three points after 8 quarters of preseason games doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Colts fan here. I'm worried about the Niners offense. Hoping they pick it up next week.

For anyone to say it's a vanilla scheme, well, how do you explain the Broncos success?

Niners and Giants offenses look like they're in mid-OTA form.

Hoping for improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread