What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1973 #1. Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2 (1 Viewer)

82. Paul Simon “Kodachrome” (from There Goes Rhymin’ Simon)

This tune was less about the Kodak technology of the early 70s as much about faded memories and the loss of time, which seemed to be a main theme among singer-songwriters of the time period. Paul, as always, is a master craftsman.

84. Joni Mitchell “Raised on Robbery” (released as a single)

So this fine tune was released in November of 1973 in advance of her 1974 brilliant album Court and Spark. The live video is from several years later, but it’s worth watching because the great Jaco Pastorius is on bass. Jaco wasn’t part of the original recording but toured with Joni when she began a jazz exploration on several albums. Interestingly enough, the original version features Robbie Robertson of The Band on lead guitar.
I recognize Joni's brilliance and influence. A lot of her stuff leaves me cold, though. And her singing is often too loopy for me.

83. Elton John “Crocodile Rock” (from Don’t Shoot Me, I’m Only the Piano Player)

So this was Elton John’s other album of 1973 which preceded GBYBR. The song is a throwback to 50s style doowop, which always caused me to consider it somewhat as one of his lesser efforts. But it’s grown on me over the years.
Do you guys remember a show back in the early 70s called Wonderama? It aired in my area on Sunday mornings and was aimed at pre-teens. I think the host's name was Bob McCallister (GM sp).

Anyway, it was sort of like American Bandstand for younger kids with a bunch of goofy stuff in between songs. I remember that, when a kid won whatever contest was going on, they'd get like a giant bottle of fake ketchup.

I had pretty much aged out when this record came out, but I remember seeing it played on that show.

None of this has anything to do with the record itself, which is a fantastic song. I don't care how much of a knockoff it is - it's all hormonal energy.

82. Paul Simon “Kodachrome” (from There Goes Rhymin’ Simon)

This tune was less about the Kodak technology of the early 70s as much about faded memories and the loss of time, which seemed to be a main theme among singer-songwriters of the time period. Paul, as always, is a master craftsman.
Great craftsman, horrible at allegory.

I know what I said about Paul in another post and stand by it. This is a great pop record at face value.

81. Jackson Browne “For Everyman” (from For Everyman)

Jackson Browne’s second album was much more polished, much less raw than his debut. Perhaps for that reason, I don’t like it nearly as much. In particular I think he ruins two of his greatest ever compositions, “Take It Easy” and “These Days”, with overproduction.

On the other hand, the title song is really great, an introspective Browne classic.

83. Elton John “Crocodile Rock” (from Don’t Shoot Me, I’m Only the Piano Player)

So this was Elton John’s other album of 1973 which preceded GBYBR. The song is a throwback to 50s style doowop, which always caused me to consider it somewhat as one of his lesser efforts. But it’s grown on me over the years.
Do you guys remember a show back in the early 70s called Wonderama? It aired in my area on Sunday mornings and was aimed at pre-teens. I think the host's name was Bob McCallister (GM sp).

Anyway, it was sort of like American Bandstand for younger kids with a bunch of goofy stuff in between songs. I remember that, when a kid won whatever contest was going on, they'd get like a giant bottle of fake ketchup.

I had pretty much aged out when this record came out, but I remember seeing it played on that show.

None of this has anything to do with the record itself, which is a fantastic song. I don't care how much of a knockoff it is - it's all hormonal energy.
I do remember Wonderama. Haven’t thought about it in maybe 40 years though.

I remember the name of the show. Don't remember anything about it. LOL

I was on one of the Wonderama episodes. Each episode they invited a bunch of little kids to sit in front of the stage and participate.

My fame peaked pretty early.

80. Pink Floyd “Us and Them” (from The Dark Side of the Moon)

One of the hardest tasks for me was to separate the songs from this album and consider them individually, because I’ve always regarded them as part of a whole. (I’ve also, nearly my entire life , enjoyed this music a lot more when I’m in an, um, special kind of mood…)

I was surprised to learn that the music for this was written by Richard Wright; I thought the entire album was basically Roger Waters.

One of the hardest tasks for me was to separate the songs from this album and consider them individually, because I’ve always regarded them as part of a whole. (I’ve also, nearly my entire life , enjoyed this music a lot more when I’m in an, um, special kind of mood…)

I was surprised to learn that the music for this was written by Richard Wright; I thought the entire album was basically Roger Waters.
Yeah it’s tough to separate the songs but Us and Them is as good as any on the album IMO.

I absolutely love this song. :thumbup:

The sync up of “Us And Them” as part of Dark Side of the Rainbow is pretty cool.

I know the brain sees what it wants to see, but I can't imagine this wasn't intentional.
Haven't watched the whole thing in a while, need to fire it up soon.

Regardless what you believe, if you just go in viewing the sync as another piece of art that combines two incredible pieces of art, it's breathtaking.

I absolutely love this song. :thumbup:

Easily my favorite song on the album
Wow. None of this was easy for me. There are 5 songs from this album that made my top 100- (actually 6 because one is a combo) and ranking them was quite difficult.
The issue with including "Us and Them" is that it's unnatural to cut it off there and not have it roll into Any Colour You Like/Brain Damage/Eclipse, but for our purposes here, you gotta do what you gotta do.

The sync up of “Us And Them” as part of Dark Side of the Rainbow is pretty cool.

I know the brain sees what it wants to see, but I can't imagine this wasn't intentional.
Haven't watched the whole thing in a while, need to fire it up soon.

Regardless what you believe, if you just go in viewing the sync as another piece of art that combines two incredible pieces of art, it's breathtaking.
I've gone back and forth as to whether the sync was intentional. Both the band and engineer Alan Parsons have vehemently denied any connection of the album and Wizard, and there certainly some things that are stretches. But there are too many things that line up well to think that there wasn't at least a bit of intent. Not unlike a few years earlier with Echoes and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

There are a bunch of YouTube sync ups - this one seems to have the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBamIi0tIRg The comments list most of the key synched events.

With great songs like Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting and Us And Them in the low 80-100 range, I predict a lot of disagreements forthcoming...

79. John Lennon “Mind Games” (from Mind Games)

Do people like this album? I sampled it last night and didn’t think much of it, seemed pretty unremarkable. Of course it was a first time listen for most of the songs. The title song I knew and liked, obviously.

78. The Rolling Stones “100 Years Ago” (from Goats Head Soup)

Conventional wisdom has it that the last great Stones album was from the year before, Exile on Main Street. And after that final masterpiece, the band has settled for mediocrity ever since with a few really great songs thrown in now and then and an album or two that was good but not great. I kind of agree with this. But “100 Years Ago” is one of those great songs.

This is probably the best non-Stones Stones knockoff in rock history. Elton's vocal here shreds almost anything Jagger sang in a similar vein

This thread had me immediately going for the Stones this afternoon. #1 hits from this year and all. wikkid once opined on the song I'm listening to as a betrayal to their fans or something like that. Huh. Never understood that. Wish I'd pressed him further on that.
He was not a big fan of the "Parsons era" Stones - called them alley-caters.

Yeah, that I got, actually. The “Angie” criticism was more abstract than that.

Here's what he had to say. It seemed he did like it but in his wikkid way.

THIS is where Mick Jagger became empirically hateable. One might never have liked this sullen voluptuary, this ####-of-the-walk fop but, until this, that was down to you. But with Angie, virtually the same song every vainglorious sophomore wrote strumming on the edge of his dorm bed, Sir Michael said, "lemme show ya. Ima take this lovesick tripe and make you cry wivvit cuz that's who i am, i'm Mick" and made us all sick. Love sick, envy sick, sick with tears. His vocal performance was an application of skill & moment that no one this side of Redding/Pickett has been capable of and then squitrted the whipped cream of his essence all over the top for good measure. Soon enough, young men & women everywhere were actually, f'real whispering "Angie" to each other as a way of saying "Well, aren't you delicious?!" It was disgusting, unforgivable & downright amazing. nufced

One night we listened to Side One for 4 consecutive hours. Freaked out every time Time came on. Good trip though.

78. The Rolling Stones “100 Years Ago” (from Goats Head Soup)

Conventional wisdom has it that the last great Stones album was from the year before, Exile on Main Street. And after that final masterpiece, the band has settled for mediocrity ever since with a few really great songs thrown in now and then and an album or two that was good but not great. I kind of agree with this. But “100 Years Ago” is one of those great songs.
This song is amazing, no matter what Jann Wenner and his moronic acolytes think of the album it came from.

86. Mott the Hoople “Honaloochie Boogie” (from Mott)

Following the success of All the Young Dudes the band released an even better album filled with glam goodness, of which A few highlights are musts for this list, this one is a classic with Ian Hunter and Mick Ralphs at the top of their games.
@squistion I’m curious: why are you sad about the selection of “Honaloochie Boogie”??

Since you asked, I wouldn't include it in the 1000 greatest songs of 1973. Speaking only for myself, I am rather unimpressed with this music list so far. Admittedly it wasn't that great a year and maybe you will salvage this with the 85 picks remaining, but after this start I have my doubts.

I will refrain from using emojis with future selections.
No respect for the glam rock kings, eh? I’m sad for you that you don’t appreciate Mott the Hoople. One of the best rock bands of the 1970s.

No respect for the glam rock kings, eh? I’m sad for you that you don’t appreciate Mott the Hoople. One of the best rock bands of the 1970s.

I really liked All The Young Dudes, All The Way To Memphis and even bought Roll Away The Stone on 45, so I appreciated Mott, it is just I didn't care for that particular song.

And as far as glam is concerned, I was a big T-Rex, Marc Bolan fan and recently saw a 1973 video from German TV where he is wearing a white feather boa (and you can't get much more glam than that).
If you have IPTV, the best music channel is from The Netherlands, called 192tv - https://192tv.tv/?lang=en Its all music videos from the 60’s to the late 80’s. Some very rare promo videos made just for Europe are shown.

First album I ever owned, still love this song today.

Pretty crazy back in the 60’s-70’s how artists could churn out albums every 8-9 months.

77. Bruce Springsteen “Growin’ Up” (from Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.)

Bruce Springsteen exploded onto the music scene in 1973 with two exceptional albums which included some of his best ever compositions. This gem was an exuberant exploration of his younger days in New Jersey, a theme he would return to over and over.

The science center here in STL used to have laser shows to classic rock bands/albums back in the 90s, and a bunch of us went to the Dark Side of the Moon a few times. An amazing experience. And each and every single time, I dozed off during Us and Them. The song is so relaxing and awesome, and combined with the lasers and the kicked back "vibe" ;) , it was easy to doze.

Anyway, Us and Them is easily a top 5 Floyd song for me, and probably my 2nd favorite from the record (behind only Time).

76. Paul McCartney & Wings “Let Me Roll It” (from Band On the Run)

I’ve seen Sir Paul live twice in my life and also watched and listened to a few of his recorded live performances, and I’ve noticed that he never fails to perform this song, which is not really one of his biggest hits. So I figure it’s one of his favorites. Certainly one of mine.

75. Bob Seger “Turn the Page” (from Back in ‘72)

So this gets a little confusing- the original album version of this song was from 1973, and then there was a live version also from 1973, and then another live version from 1977. It was the last version from 1977 which became a classic rock radio standard over the years, though sometimes the original would get played and sometimes the original live version. So I’m goi g with the original here.

I’ve known some Seger fans who regard this as his best song, and apparently it’s a big deal when he plays it in concert (he always does.) I like it fine, never thought it was anything remarkable though.

So this gets a little confusing- the original album version of this song was from 1973, and then there was a live version also from 1973, and then another live version from 1977. It was the last version from 1977 which became a classic rock radio standard over the years, though sometimes the original would get played and sometimes the original live version. So I’m goi g with the original here.

I’ve known some Seger fans who regard this as his best song, and apparently it’s a big deal when he plays it in concert (he always does.) I like it fine, never thought it was anything remarkable though.
Great song, although that clip, even though it says it's the original radio version, seems to be the 1976 Live Bullet version.

ETA: here is the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Lb7imIq7Y

Love, love, love this song. I will never get tired of it and I'll never skip it when it comes on the radio.

74. Elton John “Candle In the Wind” (from Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road)

Yet another classic song from one of the year’s best albums. As almost everybody knows, this one was about Marilyn Monroe and then the lyrics were changed following Princess Diana’s death nearly 20 years later. Both versions are incredibly poignant.

74. Elton John “Candle In the Wind” (from Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road)

Yet another classic song from one of the year’s best albums. As almost everybody knows, this one was about Marilyn Monroe and then the lyrics were changed following Princess Diana’s death nearly 20 years later. Both versions are incredibly poignant.
I woulda ranked this one much higher, Tim. But what do I know... no one has ever accused me of having taste!

76. Paul McCartney & Wings “Let Me Roll It” (from Band On the Run)

I’ve seen Sir Paul live twice in my life and also watched and listened to a few of his recorded live performances, and I’ve noticed that he never fails to perform this song, which is not really one of his biggest hits. So I figure it’s one of his favorites. Certainly one of mine.
Great album and the first one I ever bought. Expect to see a few more songs off this album much higher up in the rankings.

71. Paul Simon “Loves Me Like a Rock” (from There Goes Rhymin’ Simon)

Paul Simon’s fascination with gospel music goes all the way back to “He Brought Joy to the World” from Wednesday Morning. 3AM, his first album with Art Garfunkel. And of course there was “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. But with his second solo album, Simon brought in the Dixie Hummingbirds for this great collaboration. He also got gospel legend Clyde McPhatter to sing the bridge to “Take Me to the Mardi Gras”, which is a song I absolutely love but could not find room for on this list.

71. Paul Simon “Loves Me Like a Rock” (from There Goes Rhymin’ Simon)

Paul Simon’s fascination with gospel music goes all the way back to “He Brought Joy to the World” from Wednesday Morning. 3AM, his first album with Art Garfunkel. And of course there was “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. But with his second solo album, Simon brought in the Dixie Hummingbirds for this great collaboration. He also got gospel legend Clyde McPhatter to sing the bridge to “Take Me to the Mardi Gras”, which is a song I absolutely love but could not find room for on this list.
I find it hard to believe there are 100 better songs than this one in 1973, but this isn't my list.

Users who are viewing this thread