What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1973 #1. Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2 (2 Viewers)

92. Styx “Lady” (from Styx II)

This is thought by some music critics to be the first ever “power ballad”. Released by the band some 5 years prior to “Come Sail Away”, it’s a diamond among the dregs of their early albums, when they were trying to be the American version of Yes. And unlike some of Dennis De Young’s later efforts, “Lady” isn’t sappy or schlocky; even Tommy Shaw can’t really complain.

This is thought by some music critics to be the first ever “power ballad”. Released by the band some 5 years prior to “Come Sail Away”, it’s a diamond among the dregs of their early albums, when they were trying to be the American version of Yes. And unlike some of Dennis De Young’s later efforts, “Lady” isn’t sappy or schlocky; even Tommy Shaw can’t really complain.

I know your rule is release date but this went undiscovered until their 4th album was out (1974), and then only in Chicago. It didn’t chart nationally until 1975.

I’m no Styx aficionado but Shaw wasn’t in the band until ‘75 or ‘76, right? I only know bc when I was in 9th grade, I liked that there was a guitarist the same height as me.

I know your rule is release date but this went undiscovered until their 4th album was out (1974), and then only in Chicago. It didn’t chart nationally until 1975.

I’m no Styx aficionado but Shaw wasn’t in the band until ‘75 or ‘76, right? I only know bc when I was in 9th grade, I liked that there was a guitarist the same height as me.
Yeah it didn’t get any play until a few years later. I don’t know when Shaw joined the band.

I love this song and I did not mind early Styx.

Tommy Shaw joined the band in late '75/early '76. He didn't play on Equinox, their 5th album, but did the tour for that album when he was hired after John Curulewski quit the band.

On a sidenote, the last Styx album, Crash of the Crown, that was released last year is killer. Tommy Shaw's voice has held up really well.

Tommy Shaw joined the band in late '75/early '76. He didn't play on Equinox, their 5th album, but did the tour for that album when he was hired after John Curulewski quit the band.
Correct - I believe Crystal Ball was his first album with them. The title track is probably my favorite Styx song.

91. Barbra Streisand “The Way We Were” (Released as a single)

Try not to throw things. This was written by Marvin Hamlisch, who truly was one of our greatest composers. And Barbra really does have a remarkable voice; the only problem is that she wants you to know it. The only tune I can think of that rivals Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On” as quite possibly the ultimate most annoying song of all time. And yet, try as I might I couldn’t find a way to leave it off the list.

Scattered….PICtures!

Try not to throw things. This was written by Marvin Hamlisch, who truly was one of our greatest composers. And Barbra really does have a remarkable voice; the only problem is that she wants you to know it. The only tune I can think of that rivals Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On” as quite possibly the ultimate most annoying song of all time. And yet, try as I might I couldn’t find a way to leave it off the list.

Scattered….PICtures!
I can’t hear this song and not think of this movie scene.

Top 2 Styx for me.

I wouldn't mind this being played at my funeral. Mainly because I wouldn't be one of the unfortunate people to have to hear it.

100. Brownsville Station “Smokin’ In the Boys Room” (from Yeah!)

Folks who weren’t born yet in 1973 will likely remember the Motley Crue cover from 1985. But this was the original and despite the rather silly lyrics it’s a fine blues rock send up.
When they showed the lead singer with those glasses and referee type shirt, I thought it was a SNL parody or something.

They played at my HS prom right before this broke.

98. The Who “Dr. Jimmy” (from Quadrophenia)

Quadrophenia, like Tommy and The Wall, is supposed to be a concept story album. But while the latter two are fairly easy to follow what’s happening, I never had much of a clue what was going on in this one. It’s still tremendous rock and roll especially the highlights of which this tune is clearly one of. Daltry sings the absolute **** out of this song and Moon’s drums are simply amazing.
If wikkid were still with us, I'd imagine he could make more sense out of the concept but I never could figure it out either. Regardless of the story, though, I think Quadrophenia ranks with Sell Out as their best LP. This song is good and I expect there will be a few more from the album coming up.
Who's Next gives them both a run for their money imo.

97. Elton John “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

This is one of his harder rock songs, featuring the underrated Davey Johnstone on guitar. It’s derivative and pretty simplistic compared to most of Elton John’s better work at this stage of his career, but it does rock.
This is probably the best non-Stones Stones knockoff in rock history. Elton's vocal here shreds almost anything Jagger sang in a similar vein.
I've always thought of "Hot Legs" by Rod Stewart as a Stones knockoff with better vocals than Mick could ever muster.

93. “Love Has No Pride” Linda Ronstadt (from
Don’t Cry Now)

Originally recorded by Bonnie Raitt a year earlier but Linda scored the hit, which really shows off her fine vocals. This is a great country ballad of the era. I’m 99% sure, watching the video, that that’s Andrew Gold accompanying her on keyboards.
IMO, these kind of songs are what Linda did best in her prime: sorta torch-y, but lets her cut loose. She was also good at some of the harder-rocking stuff, but her covers of more delicate material in the 70s could be cringe-worthy ("Tracks Of My Tears" & "Blue Bayou", to name two, though both were big hits). She got much better at softer songs later on (maybe singing with Emmylou & Dolly helped, as did getting more into her Mexican heritage).

She's one of the all-time great female belters. I'd have the 70s Mount Rushmore of them being Linda, Donna Summer, Gladys Knight, and Annie Wilson. Cher finishes just a bit behind. Aretha Franklin is above Mt Rushmore and is thus ineligible.
No room for Stevie Nicks on the Mount?

You had me all ****ed up by choosing this, because I remember when it was a hit and it wasn't 1973. But I see BL explained it.

I remember liking it back then, though the ballad part sounded a little lame to me. I don't think there are any Styx songs that were big radio plays I didn't like at least a good bit.

99. Cher “Half-Breed (from Half-Breed)

Another novelty song, but also a #1 hit for Sonny’s other half, who actually can claim some distant Cherokee blood on her mother’s side, but whose look and skin complexion is largely due to her Armenian father.
I actually once met Mary Dean, the song’s lyricist, at a wedding reception many years ago.

This was my 5th-6th grade year; the year after Chuck Berry had a big hit with “My-ding-a-ling”. Year before that it was Commander Cody singing “Hot Rod Lincoln”. A few years before that it was “One Tin Soldier” and cutting “Sugar Sugar” 45s off boxes of Super Sugar Crisp.

Novelty songs were a huge part of my childhood. Predates any appreciation for songwriting, craftsmanship, deep meaning lyrics - but still, drew me to finding music that made me feel good. Angst was still a couple years away, which required more complex expressions of what was happening within me.
This was an anti-war anthem, not really what I would classify as a novelty song. Mr. Jaws is the novelty song that first comes to my mind.

Don’t Cry Now)

Originally recorded by Bonnie Raitt a year earlier but Linda scored the hit, which really shows off her fine vocals. This is a great country ballad of the era. I’m 99% sure, watching the video, that that’s Andrew Gold accompanying her on keyboards.
IMO, these kind of songs are what Linda did best in her prime: sorta torch-y, but lets her cut loose. She was also good at some of the harder-rocking stuff, but her covers of more delicate material in the 70s could be cringe-worthy ("Tracks Of My Tears" & "Blue Bayou", to name two, though both were big hits). She got much better at softer songs later on (maybe singing with Emmylou & Dolly helped, as did getting more into her Mexican heritage).

She's one of the all-time great female belters. I'd have the 70s Mount Rushmore of them being Linda, Donna Summer, Gladys Knight, and Annie Wilson. Cher finishes just a bit behind. Aretha Franklin is above Mt Rushmore and is thus ineligible.
Emmylou Harris
Stevie Nicks
Patti LaBelle
My list was power belters. Emmylou, who I love, isn't that. Neither is Stevie Nicks. LaBelle is, but she had nowhere near the cultural presence of those I listed and her voice got verrrrry thin at top volume. Linda, Donna, Gladys, and Ann didn't have that problem.

Scattered….PICtures!
I almost mentioned her in my (takes a deep breath) Female Power Belters Mount Rushmore Post. I probably should have, because her vocal ability is the equal of anyone who's ever stepped up to a microphone. She's just too mannered for me.

I don't mind it these days when I run across this record every so often but, Good Lord, you couldn't get away from it when it was a hit. There are more annoying songs from this year, and I know you've got every single one coming up.

Quadrophenia, like Tommy and The Wall, is supposed to be a concept story album. But while the latter two are fairly easy to follow what’s happening, I never had much of a clue what was going on in this one. It’s still tremendous rock and roll especially the highlights of which this tune is clearly one of. Daltry sings the absolute **** out of this song and Moon’s drums are simply amazing.
If wikkid were still with us, I'd imagine he could make more sense out of the concept but I never could figure it out either. Regardless of the story, though, I think Quadrophenia ranks with Sell Out as their best LP. This song is good and I expect there will be a few more from the album coming up.
I think the other two are more versatile.
97. Elton John “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

This is one of his harder rock songs, featuring the underrated Davey Johnstone on guitar. It’s derivative and pretty simplistic compared to most of Elton John’s better work at this stage of his career, but it does rock.
This is probably the best non-Stones Stones knockoff in rock history. Elton's vocal here shreds almost anything Jagger sang in a similar vein.
I've always thought of "Hot Legs" by Rod Stewart as a Stones knockoff with better vocals than Mick could ever muster.
That's a good call, too.
Don’t Cry Now)

Stevie had nowhere near the power of the other singers I listed. I probably wasn't clear enough that my list was about high-octane powerhouses.

I think the other two are more versatile.

That's a good call, too.
Don’t Cry Now)

Stevie had nowhere near the power of the other singers I listed. I probably wasn't clear enough that my list was about high-octane powerhouses.
I just remember Donna Summer's disco material and probably unfairly dismiss her. I am in agreement on the others you listed though.

I just remember Donna Summer's disco material and probably unfairly dismiss her. I am in agreement on the others you listed though.
"Love To Love You" would certainly be a good example of your point. But on most of the records after that, she sang much more like Ronstadt & Wilson - piledriving vocals, but with a lightness when called for. Sure, some records had disco strings'n'things, but she sang like a rocker and was a damned good one. Makes sense, since most of her male partners & collaborators were rockers themselves. After her star had fallen a bit in the 80s, she was able to be a little freer. Summer got pigeonholed by her first big hit as a lightweight and could never really shake it.

90. Dr. John “Right Place, Wrong Time” (from In the Right Place)

The band on this recording is a who’s who of New Orleans musicians, including the Nevilles and Allen Toussaint. The bass playing is incredible, as is, of course the keyboards. This was the good doctor’s biggest ever hit.

There's another song released this year that could also make that claim (dunno if it came out before this one), and it, too didn't become a hit until several years after the release of the album it came from. I presume it will be much higher (Binky: lower) on your list.

I don't know any pre-Equinox Styx songs except for this one, and "American version of Yes" is actually a recommendation in my mind. However, the non-single proggier songs on their Shaw-era albums don't do a whole lot for me.

Scattered….PICtures!
She's done a lot to advance messaging for and treatments of heart disease in women, but ... :kicksrock:

This song put Styx on my radar as I always really liked it. I continued being a fan for several more albums. But Mr Roboto definitely put a dent in my appreciation of them.

Scattered….PICtures!
I think it's one of the top 10 movie songs ever. Streisand was at her peak then. It also has a ton of sentimental affection for me as it was my late mom's favorite.

Top 2 Styx for me.
I presume the other one is NOT Mr. Roboto?

I once had the misfortune of hearing all of Kilroy Was Here (my ex-wife's father was really into it), and aside from Don't Let It End, the other songs are even WORSE than Mr. Roboto.

Top 2 Styx for me.

I once had the misfortune of hearing all of Kilroy Was Here (my ex-wife's father was really into it), and aside from Don't Let It End, the other songs are even WORSE than Mr. Roboto.
I have seriously never listened to more than 10 seconds of that song. Can't stand it.

Actually have a Styx Top 3. Not sure of the order. Add Suite Madame Blue and Lorelei.

Top 2 Styx for me.

I have seriously never listened to more than 10 seconds of that song. Can't stand it.

Actually have a Styx Top 3. Not sure of the order. Add Suite Madame Blue and Lorelei.
I can't help it, I'm a sucker for Renegade.

My mind changes the lyrics from "morning" to "evening".

90. Dr. John “Right Place, Wrong Time” (from In the Right Place)

The band on this recording is a who’s who of New Orleans musicians, including the Nevilles and Allen Toussaint. The bass playing is incredible, as is, of course the keyboards. This was the good doctor’s biggest ever hit.
This is pretty much a perfect record. It would have been much higher if I were ranking this year.

There's another song released this year that could also make that claim (dunno if it came out before this one), and it, too didn't become a hit until several years after the release of the album it came from. I presume it will be much higher (Binky: lower) on your list.
I'm 99.9% sure I know which song you're talking about and was wondering going in if it will get chosen. Since the Styx song did, I have to imagine the other will.

Top 2 Styx for me.

Crap. I forgot about that one - probably so I wouldn't throw up. I'll have to amend my earlier statement to "I like all but one of Styx's big radio hits".

Though..... I don't really like "Babe" all that much, either.

I like all of Styx's big radio hits except two.

I'm 99.9% sure I know which song you're talking about and was wondering going in if it will get chosen. Since the Styx song did, I have to imagine the other will.
It would be a miracle if we were all thinking of the same song.

Last edited:

Top 2 Styx for me.

Yeah, Kilroy Was Here is pretty terrible, and I say that as a big Styx fan. Of course, I actually like Mr. Roboto (not even close to one of my favorites, but I enjoy it), but the rest of the album is mostly dog excrement.

Scattered….PICtures!
BOOOOOOOO

Top 2 Styx for me.

Yeah, Kilroy Was Here is pretty terrible, and I say that as a big Styx fan. Of course, I actually like Mr. Roboto (not even close to one of my favorites, but I enjoy it), but the rest of the album is mostly dog excrement.
I'll give Styx credit for at least trying to sound current with "Mr. Roboto". And it was a popular song, so it worked.

Top 2 Styx for me.

I'll give Styx credit for at least trying to sound current with "Mr. Roboto". And it was a popular song, so it worked.
It was a catchy tune, but that whole Kilroy Was Here concept was preposterous.

89. Eagles “Tequila Sunrise” (from Desperado)

Pleasant little tune from Fry and Henley; always reminded me (lyrically) of a Jimmy Buffett song. This would never make a list of my very favorite Eagles songs, but I don’t turn it off when I hear it played, either.

Pleasant little tune from Fry and Henley; always reminded me (lyrically) of a Jimmy Buffett song. This would never make a list of my very favorite Eagles songs, but I don’t turn it off when I hear it played, either.
If you put this up in a poll against Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting, it would get crushed.

This song is so meh.

By Eagles standards, Desperado is a very good album. But this is one of its least interesting songs.

88. Jim Croce “I’ll Have To say I Love You In A Song” (from I Got A Name)

Croce died in a plane crash in September of 1973, and this was one of several songs that was released posthumously.
It’s interesting (and sad) to speculate on what might have been if there had been no crash. Would Croce have become a superstar with great songs year after year? Or would he have become like Cat Stevens or James Taylor, endlessly performing the tunes from the early 70s that made him famous? Like Richie Valens and Buddy Holly, we’ll never know…

88. Jim Croce “I’ll Have To say I Love You In A Song” (from I Got A Name)

Croce died in a plane crash in September of 1973, and this was one of several songs that was released posthumously.
It’s interesting (and sad) to speculate on what might have been if there had been no crash. Would Croce have become a superstar with great songs year after year? Or would he have become like Cat Stevens or James Taylor, endlessly performing the tunes from the early 70s that made him famous? Like Richie Valens and Buddy Holly, we’ll never know…
I was 13 in 1973, and a big Croce fan. Lots of great songs.

Saw his son play in Boise on May 14th. All 1400 seats sold. Excellent show. He's quite talented and did a great job on his old songs, some of his own, and Nothing from Nothing.

Top 2 Styx for me.

It was a catchy tune, but that whole Kilroy Was Here concept was preposterous.
Mr.Roboto seemed to be a favorite for salesmen demoing car or home speakers. At least until "Money For Nothing" was released.

87. Elton John “Harmony” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

There really are a lot of great songs on this album, and it’s not even the only record that Elton John released in 1973. He’s one of a couple of artists that are all over this list from start to finish.

86. Mott the Hoople “Honaloochie Boogie” (from Mott)

Following the success of All the Young Dudes the band released an even better album filled with glam goodness, of which A few highlights are musts for this list, this one is a classic with Ian Hunter and Mick Ralphs at the top of their games.

Users who are viewing this thread