What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1973 #1. Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2 (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Guess I’m going to try this on the new format. We’ll see how it shakes out. I’ll start tomorrow.

100. “Smokin’ In the Boys Room” Brownsville Station
99. “Half-Breed” Cher
98. “Dr. Jimmy” The Who
97. “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” Elton John
96. “Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up” Barry White
95 “Teenage Lament ‘74” Alice Cooper
94 “Midnight At the Oasis” Maria Muldaur
93. “Love Has No Pride” Linda Ronstadt
92. “Lady” Styx
91. “The Way We Were” Barbra Streisand
90. “Right Place, Wrong Time” Dr. John
89. “Tequila Sunrise” Eagles
88. “I’ll Have To Say I Love You In A Song” Jim Croce
87. “Harmony” Elton John
86. “Honaloochie Boogie” Mott the Hoople
85. “Dancing Days” Led Zeppelin
84. “Raised on Robbery” Joni Mitchell
83. “Crocodile Rock” Elton John
82. “Kodachrome” Paul Simon
81. “For Everyman” Jackson Browne
80. “Us and Them” Pink Floyd
79. “Mind Games” John Lennon
78. “100 Years Ago” The Rolling Stones
77. “Growin’ Up” Bruce Springsteen
76. “Let Me Roll It” Paul McCartney & Wings
75. “Turn the Page” Bob Seger
74. “Candle In the Wind” Elton John
73. “Shambala” Three Dog Night
72. “Breathe (In the Air)” Pink Floyd
71. “Loves Me Like a Rock” Paul Simon
70. “Roll Away the Stone” Mott the Hoople
69. “Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo” Rick Derringer
68. “Photograph” Ringo Starr
67. “Spirit In the Night” Bruce Springsteen
66. “My Love” Paul McCartney & Wings
65. “Taking Care of Business” Bachman-Turner Overdrive
64. “The Song Remains the Same” Led Zeppelin
63. “The Ballad of Mott the Hoople” Mott the Hoople
62. “Gimme Three Steps” Lynyrd Skynyrd
61. “No More Mr. Nice Guy” Alice Cooper
60. “Daniel” Elton John
59. “Let It Ride” Bachman-Turner Overdrive
58. “Jet” Paul McCartney & Wings
57. “I Got a Name” Jim Croce
56. “Rocky Mountain Way” Joe Walsh
55. “Keep Yourself Alive” Queen
54. “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown” Jim Croce
53. “Jesus Just Left Chicago” ZZ Top
52. “Captain Jack” Billy Joel
51. “Tuesday’s Gone” Lynyrd Skynyrd
50. “Jessica” The Allman Brothers Band
49. “Personality Crisis” The New York Dolls
48. “Radar Love” Golden Earring
47. “Get Up, Stand Up” The Wailers
46. “Blinded By the Light” Bruce Springsteen
45. “D’Yer Mak’er” Led Zeppelin
44. “if You Want Me to Stay” Sly & The Family Stone
43. “Martha” Tom Waits
42. “Incident on 57th Street” Bruce Springsteen
41. “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath” Black Sabbath
40. “Money” Pink Floyd
39. “Desperado” Eagles
38. “Higher Ground” Stevie Wonder
37. “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)” George Harrison
36. “Ramblin’ Man” The Allman Brothers Band
35. “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” Elton John
34. “Search and Destroy” Iggy & The Stooges
33. “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” Bob Dylan
32. “Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) ” Bruce Springsteen
31. “I Shot the Sheriff” Bob Marley & The Wailers
30. “5 15” The Who
29. “Angie” The Rolling Stones
28. “Jolene” Dolly Parton
27. “La Grange” ZZ Top
26. “We’re an American Band” Grand Funk Railroad
25. “Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” Elton John
24. “She’s Gone” Hall & Oates
23. “Dream On” Aerosmith
22. “Live and Let Die” Paul McCartney & Wings
21. “Time” Pink Floyd
20. “Can’t You See” The Marshall Tucker Band
19. “Ooh La La” Faces
18. “Nutbush City Limits” Ike & Tina Turner
17. “The Joker” Steve Miller Band
16. “Midnight Train to Georgia” Gladys Knight & The Pips
15. “4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)” Bruce Springsteen
14. “Living For The City” Stevie Wonder
13. “Over The Hills And Far Away” Led Zeppelin
12. “Drift Away” Dobie Gray
11. “Band On The Run” Paul McCartney & Wings
10. “Let’s Get It On” Marvin Gaye
9. “The Rain Song” Led Zeppelin
8. “Killing Me Softly With His Song” Roberta Flack
7. “American Tune” Paul Simon
6. “Love, Reign O’er Me” The Who
5. “Brain Damage/Eclipse” Pink Floyd
4. “Free Bird” Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. “Bennie and the Jets” Elton John
2. “Piano Man” Billy Joel
1. “Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2” Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Last edited:
Hey guys, What's Going On??

Oh ****, that's 1971, right? I guess I'll put that idea in the trash. Way too late for this jet boy.

100. Brownsville Station “Smokin’ In the Boys Room” (from Yeah!)

Folks who weren’t born yet in 1973 will likely remember the Motley Crue cover from 1985. But this was the original and despite the rather silly lyrics it’s a fine blues rock send up.

Folks who weren’t born yet in 1973 will likely remember the Motley Crue cover from 1985. But this was the original and despite the rather silly lyrics it’s a fine blues rock send up.
Music is all subjective but I hated this song the day it came out and loathe it to this day. A huge hit though so what do I know?

That song is terrible.

Wonder how much that influenced me to start smoking that year (age 11, 6th grade.) Was never stupid enough to smoke at school though.

But the guy who, 6 years later, drove his car onto the school lawn and blew bong hits into the principal’s office - that dude was a legend.

99. Cher “Half-Breed (from Half-Breed)

Another novelty song, but also a #1 hit for Sonny’s other half, who actually can claim some distant Cherokee blood on her mother’s side, but whose look and skin complexion is largely due to her Armenian father.
I actually once met Mary Dean, the song’s lyricist, at a wedding reception many years ago.

Another novelty song, but also a #1 hit for Sonny’s other half, who actually can claim some distant Cherokee blood on her mother’s side, but whose look and skin complexion is largely due to her Armenian father.
I actually once met Mary Dean, the song’s lyricist, at a wedding reception many years ago.

This was my 5th-6th grade year; the year after Chuck Berry had a big hit with “My-ding-a-ling”. Year before that it was Commander Cody singing “Hot Rod Lincoln”. A few years before that it was “One Tin Soldier” and cutting “Sugar Sugar” 45s off boxes of Super Sugar Crisp.

Novelty songs were a huge part of my childhood. Predates any appreciation for songwriting, craftsmanship, deep meaning lyrics - but still, drew me to finding music that made me feel good. Angst was still a couple years away, which required more complex expressions of what was happening within me.

98. The Who “Dr. Jimmy” (from Quadrophenia)

Quadrophenia, like Tommy and The Wall, is supposed to be a concept story album. But while the latter two are fairly easy to follow what’s happening, I never had much of a clue what was going on in this one. It’s still tremendous rock and roll especially the highlights of which this tune is clearly one of. Daltry sings the absolute **** out of this song and Moon’s drums are simply amazing.

Last edited:

Music is all subjective but I hated this song the day it came out and loathe it to this day. A huge hit though so what do I know?
You have no taste, brotha. I was like 13 or 14 when this came out. And I'm still diggin' it. I just can't believe it was ranked as low as 100 for this year. But hey, no one has ever accused me of being a deep thinker!

97. The Who “Dr. Jimmy” (from Quadrophenia)

Quadrophenia, like Tommy and The Wall, is supposed to be a concept story album. But while the latter two are fairly easy to follow what’s happening, I never had much of a clue what was going on in this one. It’s still tremendous rock and roll especially the highlights of which this tune is clearly one of. Daltry sings the absolute **** out of this song and Moon’s drums are simply amazing.
It's good but there are others from this album I like quite a bit better.

You have no taste, brotha. I was like 13 or 14 when this came out. And I'm still diggin' it. I just can't believe it was ranked as low as 100 for this year. But hey, no one has ever accused me of being a deep thinker!
I was 14 when it came out. Just never liked it much, not sure why.

97. Elton John “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

This is one of his harder rock songs, featuring the underrated Davey Johnstone on guitar. It’s derivative and pretty simplistic compared to most of Elton John’s better work at this stage of his career, but it does rock.

97. Elton John “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

This is one of his harder rock songs, featuring the underrated Davey Johnstone on guitar. It’s derivative and pretty simplistic compared to most of Elton John’s better work at this stage of his career, but it does rock.
A great song and should be much higher for that year.

It's dumb as hell, but plugged right into my soul when I was 11

Great song. Fun song. Would be much higher on my list but it’s not my list.

Cher was like a cross between Aretha Franklin and Linda Ronstadt, but with none of the finesse. She'd just sing everything full-bore, didn't matter what she was singing about. She has a good voice, though, and distinctive.

98. The Who “Dr. Jimmy” (from Quadrophenia)

If wikkid were still with us, I'd imagine he could make more sense out of the concept but I never could figure it out either. Regardless of the story, though, I think Quadrophenia ranks with Sell Out as their best LP. This song is good and I expect there will be a few more from the album coming up.

This is probably the best non-Stones Stones knockoff in rock history. Elton's vocal here shreds almost anything Jagger sang in a similar vein.

This is probably the best non-Stones Stones knockoff in rock history. Elton's vocal here shreds almost anything Jagger sang in a similar vein

This thread had me immediately going for the Stones this afternoon. #1 hits from this year and all. wikkid once opined on the song I'm listening to as a betrayal to their fans or something like that. Huh. Never understood that. Wish I'd pressed him further on that.

96. Barry White “Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up” (from Gon’ On)

Smooth. That’s the best word to describe this song and the artist. This was the guy you put on if you wanted to score in 1973. Or ever.

96. Barry White “Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up” (from Gon’ On)

Smooth. That’s the best word to describe this song and the artist. This was the guy you put on if you wanted to score in 1973. Or ever.
It's not a stretch to assume birth rates spiked 35-40 weeks after this record was released - right?

Great song. Fun song. Would be much higher on my list but it’s not my list.
completely agree - and I could put damn near every song from this album in a top 100 1973 song list - one of the best albums of all time.

95. Alice Cooper “Teenage Lament ‘74” (from Muscle of Love)

Despite the title of this song it was actually released in November of 1973. It’s a minor glam rock classic and also a fine meditation on teenage angst.

95. Alice Cooper “Teenage Lament ‘74” (from Muscle of Love)

Despite the title of this song it was actually released in November of 1973. It’s a minor glam rock classic and also a fine meditation on teenage angst.
I've always been a sucker for Alice Cooper's music. I know some (all?) of their/his stuff is considered pretty stupid, but I think many of the records are sneaky-clever (certainly moreso than the majority of the prog that was being released at the same time).

95. Maria Muldaur “Midnight At the Oasis” (from Maria Muldaur)

This is the hippie girl that Robert Plant must have been hoping to meet in California. Check out that flower in her hair, the bell bottom jeans, the stoned out look. The song is memorable, annoyingly so.
I freaking hated this song when it came out. It may be the least sexy song about sex I've ever heard. It's only because I don't have the energy to spend on hating a popular music recording 50 years old that I no longer despise it. I like other songs she's done, though.

This is the hippie girl that Robert Plant must have been hoping to meet in California. Check out that flower in her hair, the bell bottom jeans, the stoned out look. The song is memorable, annoyingly so.
I freaking hated this song when it came out. It may be the least sexy song about sex I've ever heard. It's only because I don't have the energy to spend on hating a popular music recording 50 years old that I no longer despise it. I like other songs she's done, though.
agree with this 1000%. Hated this song. Always an instant dial spinner. Nails to the chalkboard.

How is this rated higher then 96 and 97?

And why are there two 95's? Did they tie?

agree with this 1000%. Hated this song. Always an instant dial spinner. Nails to the chalkboard.

Tim's had a tough time with his counting in this thread.

Tim's had a tough time with his counting in this thread.
Thank you. Corrected.

93. “Love Has No Pride” Linda Ronstadt (from
Don’t Cry Now)

Originally recorded by Bonnie Raitt a year earlier but Linda scored the hit, which really shows off her fine vocals. This is a great country ballad of the era. I’m 99% sure, watching the video, that that’s Andrew Gold accompanying her on keyboards.

Don’t Cry Now)

Originally recorded by Bonnie Raitt a year earlier but Linda scored the hit, which really shows off her fine vocals. This is a great country ballad of the era. I’m 99% sure, watching the video, that that’s Andrew Gold accompanying her on keyboards.
Gold was a pretty good musician also.

Don’t Cry Now)

IMO, these kind of songs are what Linda did best in her prime: sorta torch-y, but lets her cut loose. She was also good at some of the harder-rocking stuff, but her covers of more delicate material in the 70s could be cringe-worthy ("Tracks Of My Tears" & "Blue Bayou", to name two, though both were big hits). She got much better at softer songs later on (maybe singing with Emmylou & Dolly helped, as did getting more into her Mexican heritage).

She's one of the all-time great female belters. I'd have the 70s Mount Rushmore of them being Linda, Donna Summer, Gladys Knight, and Annie Wilson. Cher finishes just a bit behind. Aretha Franklin is above Mt Rushmore and is thus ineligible.

Don’t Cry Now)

IMO, these kind of songs are what Linda did best in her prime: sorta torch-y, but lets her cut loose. She was also good at some of the harder-rocking stuff, but her covers of more delicate material in the 70s could be cringe-worthy ("Tracks Of My Tears" & "Blue Bayou", to name two, though both were big hits). She got much better at softer songs later on (maybe singing with Emmylou & Dolly helped, as did getting more into her Mexican heritage).

She's one of the all-time great female belters. I'd have the 70s Mount Rushmore of them being Linda, Donna Summer, Gladys Knight, and Annie Wilson. Cher finishes just a bit behind. Aretha Franklin is above Mt Rushmore and is thus ineligible.
Tough list to leave Cher out, but I don’t know who she would replace In your MR.

Don’t Cry Now)

Emmylou Harris
Stevie Nicks
Patti LaBelle

Don’t Cry Now)

Love Linda and everything she did. I have recently been listening to some of her Mariachi stuff and it's amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread