What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tebow working on new throwing style (1 Viewer)

This kid is going to be a gem for whoever picks him up.
:goodposting: I'd draft him, some people just get it. I'm not going to spout the cliched "he's a winner" because alot of people win through situations. He's just a smart kid who's willing to do the work to be sucessful, give me that over an athletic guy with no smarts or work ethic any day of the week.

:confused: I'd draft him, some people just get it. I'm not going to spout the cliched "he's a winner" because alot of people win through situations. He's just a smart kid who's willing to do the work to be sucessful, give me that over an athletic guy with no smarts or work ethic any day of the week.
I'm sticking to my guns about the Patriots drafting him.....they are a team that gets it.

:ph34r: I'd draft him, some people just get it. I'm not going to spout the cliched "he's a winner" because alot of people win through situations. He's just a smart kid who's willing to do the work to be sucessful, give me that over an athletic guy with no smarts or work ethic any day of the week.
I'm sticking to my guns about the Patriots drafting him.....they are a team that gets it.
Which round?

:wub: I'd draft him, some people just get it. I'm not going to spout the cliched "he's a winner" because alot of people win through situations. He's just a smart kid who's willing to do the work to be sucessful, give me that over an athletic guy with no smarts or work ethic any day of the week.
Which round?
2.12 pick if he is there. I doubt they would take him in the 1'st, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: I'd draft him, some people just get it. I'm not going to spout the cliched "he's a winner" because alot of people win through situations. He's just a smart kid who's willing to do the work to be sucessful, give me that over an athletic guy with no smarts or work ethic any day of the week.
Which round?
2.12 pick if he is there.
Not crazy by any stretch, one mock I saw had them taking him in the 1st. (I'd be shocked if that happened)

JohnnyU said:
A little late in the game dontcha think?
Is it? I really have no idea and am legitimately curious as to whether this sort of thing will have impact on teams. I can see the side that says "this kid gets it" and is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed and I can see the side that says he should have worked on the mechanics while he still had competitive games to play and showcase these new mechanics. What will the teams think?I tend to believe one of the 32 will draft him before the third round begins, but I think they would have before this information came out. Is it possible that this attempt to change mechanics will make a team reach more for him than they would have otherwise? Possibly.

JohnnyU said:
Is it? I really have no idea and am legitimately curious as to whether this sort of thing will have impact on teams. I can see the side that says "this kid gets it" and is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed and I can see the side that says he should have worked on the mechanics while he still had competitive games to play and showcase these new mechanics. What will the teams think?I tend to believe one of the 32 will draft him before the third round begins, but I think they would have before this information came out. Is it possible that this attempt to change mechanics will make a team reach more for him than they would have otherwise? Possibly.
While I do think he has a good chance to turn into a decent QB at the next level, I am just shocked at the fact that he did not work on the throwing style/taking the ball from center over the past year. Guy wins the Heisman as a Jr., comes back as a Sr. - he knows what he has to work on to take it to the next level and he is unprepared to take a snap directly from the Center in the Sr. Bowl?? I just don't get it. I undertsand his school needed certain things from him etc. which did not necessarily translate into his being ready for the NFL, but at some point, the school and the player himself, have an obligation to find time to work on these things...

While I do think he has a good chance to turn into a decent QB at the next level, I am just shocked at the fact that he did not work on the throwing style/taking the ball from center over the past year. Guy wins the Heisman as a Jr., comes back as a Sr. - he knows what he has to work on to take it to the next level and he is unprepared to take a snap directly from the Center in the Sr. Bowl?? I just don't get it. I undertsand his school needed certain things from him etc. which did not necessarily translate into his being ready for the NFL, but at some point, the school and the player himself, have an obligation to find time to work on these things...
You do make a good point, but you seem to insinuate he needs to rush. I disagree.He started working on things immediately after his college career was over. He's listened to the critics and did not deflect his issues. It's February. He supposedly started working on this in December or so if I remember correctly. That gives him a lot of time, and if he's drafted by one of the better, smarter teams who don't listen to the draft morons then he'll probably end up having a year or two to be mentored and continue to be coached. He has the things you can't teach: arm strength, leadership, work ethic. He seems very coachable. I'd prefer him over Clausen, and I think he's right after Bradford in whom I think are the best QBs in the draft.I doubt he'll make it to the second round. I actually think the Pats would be the perfect location for him, although since I hate them since they draft smart, I hope they don't.

JohnnyU said:
changing his mechanics at this stage is almost too late, imo. he'll get drafted for sure because of all the other things he brings to the table. however, he's not going to be worth much of anything for FF purposes for several years. he's going to need a few years to adjust to the pro game...

JohnnyU said:
changing his mechanics at this stage is almost too late, imo. he'll get drafted for sure because of all the other things he brings to the table. however, he's not going to be worth much of anything for FF purposes for several years. he's going to need a few years to adjust to the pro game...
It is never to late to try and change his mechanics. Sure Tebow is undergoing a major change, but QB's are constantly working on their mechanics and making modifications and altering things all the time. They work on higher elbow, a sligthly different grip, different trunk rotation etc etc. The best QB's are always refining their mechanics. No one knows if it is to late, but how many of the top QB's in the game entered the NFL and were immediately starting off the hop anyway......Rogers? NoRivers? NoBrees? NoBrady? NoRomo? NoSchuab? NoEli? NoWarner? NoTebow has a chance and will be interesting to watch his development.

I'm rooting for Tebow even if I have been critical of him. However, I think there's a big difference between a refinement and an overhaul. I think the guys listed above refined their mechanics. Tebow is overhauling his. Let's see past this video for what it is: a PR ploy to whet the appetite of the media and the NFL to generate some buzz about his work and ensure that as many teams as possible show up to his Pro Day with the idea still in their minds to consider him as a QB.

I couldn't care a lick about him throwing drills where guys are running crisscross at him to simulate sliding in the pocket other than it's a good start in the same way as learning the song "Now I Know My ABC's" is for learning the alphabet. He needs time. Just like an Italian speaking journalist who learned the alphabet song isn't going to be writing investigative features for the New York Times in English after spending a few weeks learning, Tim Tebow isn't going to be moving from the spread offense at Florida with a jacked up throwing motion and in six weeks prove to the world that he can throw with Tom Brady's mechanics in a pro style offense. If he can simply show he's learning and willing to invest the time, that will be enough some team.

Everyone got excited about Willis McGahee rehabbing and getting into the first round and he wasn't really ready until year two. This is a similar sales pitch from Team Tebow. He's going to need a lot of reps and live action to assimilate a new throwing motion, refine his drops, and overhaul his pocket skills. None of these things will change the point that he still needs to learn to move a defense and scan the entire field. I'm glad that he takes it seriously. I will still be a skeptic at this point.

Tebow seems to me like a guy who is willing to put in the work, has the athletic ability, leadership and intelligence intangibles, that given a team willing to develop him, could turn into a solid NFL QB.

On the other hand, going to the wrong team could lead to a trainwreck IMO.

Can anyone name a single QB who had to completely overhaul his mechanics between college and starting NFL games and succeeded? As Matt alluded to above, I'm not talking about refinements... I'm talking about overhaul.

IMO if he really wants to play QB in the NFL, he'd be better off considering going to the CFL or UFL or Arena League or wherever... some team with a good QB coach where he can play while working on overhauling his mechanics. I question if he is going to get enough live action to be successful while he is an NFL team's 3rd string QB for the next 2+ years.

Can anyone name a single QB who had to completely overhaul his mechanics between college and starting NFL games and succeeded? As Matt alluded to above, I'm not talking about refinements... I'm talking about overhaul.IMO if he really wants to play QB in the NFL, he'd be better off considering going to the CFL or UFL or Arena League or wherever... some team with a good QB coach where he can play while working on overhauling his mechanics. I question if he is going to get enough live action to be successful while he is an NFL team's 3rd string QB for the next 2+ years.
Can you name a single QB who TRIED to completely overhaul his mechanics?

Can anyone name a single QB who had to completely overhaul his mechanics between college and starting NFL games and succeeded? As Matt alluded to above, I'm not talking about refinements... I'm talking about overhaul.IMO if he really wants to play QB in the NFL, he'd be better off considering going to the CFL or UFL or Arena League or wherever... some team with a good QB coach where he can play while working on overhauling his mechanics. I question if he is going to get enough live action to be successful while he is an NFL team's 3rd string QB for the next 2+ years.
No but I don't think that proves anything. I asked for even a single instance of success. I didn't ask for who tried and failed, but that would also be a fine list. :goodposting:

No but I don't think that proves anything. I asked for even a single instance of success. I didn't ask for who tried and failed, but that would also be a fine list. :thumbup:
I'm not saying it does prove anything. I honestly don't know but I don't think there's been any. In other words, if that is indeed the case, then we're in unchartered waters. Saying no QB has ever done it and succeeded is disingenuous if no QB has ever even tried. If 20 QBs have tried and 0 succeeded, that's a lot different than 0 QBs ever trying and 0 succeeding. Not sure how you can look for a single instance of success if it's never even been tried.

No but I don't think that proves anything. I asked for even a single instance of success. I didn't ask for who tried and failed, but that would also be a fine list. :D
No QB has ever tried to overhaul his mechanics and failed :PSeriously though. There are two guys in the league right now that everyone said would have to completely overhaul their mechanics, and didn't, and are now successful (Rivers and Young).

JohnnyU said:
Tebow is not the kind of guy who's going to screw over dozens of teammates and tens of thousands of fans by wasting a year with a national championship caliber team that will likely be rebuilding the next year, by experimenting on something that benefits only him.

No but I don't think that proves anything. I asked for even a single instance of success. I didn't ask for who tried and failed, but that would also be a fine list. :confused:
No QB has ever tried to overhaul his mechanics and failed :PSeriously though. There are two guys in the league right now that everyone said would have to completely overhaul their mechanics, and didn't, and are now successful (Rivers and Young).
I'm not familiar with Young's mechanics issues. I am familiar with Rivers'. I said from the start that Rivers didn't need any overhaul, because he had a quick release, was accurate, had good velocity, made all the throws, didn't get balls batted down, etc. Some scouts agreed, some didn't. The Chargers agreed, and obviously they were right. I think it was accurate to say that his mechanics were quite different, but those different mechanics did not result in any real problems.To the best of my knowledge, that isn't the case with Tebow. I think his mechanics will result in problems. And I'm not aware of any scouts saying that he can succeed without changing them.

I know very little about QB mechanics...but...

How hard should it be to do what he's trying to do...shorten his motion? He's obviously an incredible athlete, with a great work ethic. Is taking a foot off of his throwing motion really that hard?

I know very little about QB mechanics...but...How hard should it be to do what he's trying to do...shorten his motion? He's obviously an incredible athlete, with a great work ethic. Is taking a foot off of his throwing motion really that hard?
It will depend on how quickly he will be able to alter it and stay as accurate and as powerful as pre change. The only way that will happen is continued reps and even then there will be the questions of will he lose power and accuracy. I actually think he will be able to make the change and be a successful QB.

Some differences between Young and Rivers and Tebow.

Rivers and Young had no issue with an elongated delivery that required a ton of space in the pocket for them to throw the ball. Rivers and Young's issues had to do with how high the ball came out of their hands (same with David Carr), which Ron Jaworski hammered into the ground because he believed they wouldn't get the ball over the line on a consistent enough basis - and he was wrong. Considering Doug Flutie and Drew Brees didn't/don't have that problem, I think we can rule out theory Jaworski sided with for Young and Rivers. Young's remaining issues have to do with working on playing the game from the pocket and showing patience.

Byron Leftwich has never changed his throwing motion and it has killed his career. He was a top-seven draft pick with very good velocity, accuracy, and great toughness. However, his throwing motion is so slow and just long elongated too much that he is consistently sacked, stripped, or has passes defended that QBs with textbook deliveries don't have to deal with.

Think about the difference between what's considered a good 40-time or a good shuttle time in college and the NFL. It's probably a matter of tenths of a second. A college RB who runs a 4.7 40-yard dash is often a productive runner and sometimes a star. An NFL RB who runs a 4.7 40-yard dash is on the bench holding it down for someone to replace him while an excellent runner with a 4.5-40 is considered average speed.

We're talking two tenths of a second. Think about how many steps a defender probably covers in two tenths of a second, and how an elongated delivery might take up to that same amount of time. I would think two tenths of a second is an extra step or two - that is significant. Just look at Leftwich's career. Look at Drew Bledsoe hanging onto the ball in the pocket that "extra bit" longer than he should have at the end of his career. It makes a difference.

Tebow is doing the right thing to address his deficiencies. It's a very positive thing. Whether it will reap positive benefits is the long-term question. I think Tebow will become a better thrower of the football due to the change. However, it won't change his ability to scan the field. If he can give him more velocity and distance AND give him better skill at throwing the ball while moving to his right - then in theory, he acquire the passing skills of a viable NFL prospect at QB.

I know very little about QB mechanics...but...How hard should it be to do what he's trying to do...shorten his motion? He's obviously an incredible athlete, with a great work ethic. Is taking a foot off of his throwing motion really that hard?
Yes, it's extremely hard. He's been doing it one way his entire life... probably tens of thousands of repetitions. And it's not just adjusting his throwing motion... it's taking snaps from under center and all of the associated footwork. So he needs to have new footwork and a new motion while being able to read defenses accurately--defenses that are an order of magnitude better than any he has ever faced--and make appropriate decisions. Oh yeah, and all of his teammates won't collectively be significantly better than all of their opponents... so his receivers will be getting less separation, windows will be closing a lot faster, etc.If it was trivial, scouts wouldn't care about it, because they would know it would be easily fixed. If that were the case, why wouldn't Tebow be a top 5 draft pick given his college success (personal and team), leadership, character, etc.

Some differences between Young and Rivers and Tebow.Rivers and Young had no issue with an elongated delivery that required a ton of space in the pocket for them to throw the ball. Rivers and Young's issues had to do with how high the ball came out of their hands (same with David Carr), which Ron Jaworski hammered into the ground because he believed they wouldn't get the ball over the line on a consistent enough basis - and he was wrong. Considering Doug Flutie and Drew Brees didn't/don't have that problem, I think we can rule out theory Jaworski sided with for Young and Rivers. Young's remaining issues have to do with working on playing the game from the pocket and showing patience. Byron Leftwich has never changed his throwing motion and it has killed his career. He was a top-seven draft pick with very good velocity, accuracy, and great toughness. However, his throwing motion is so slow and just long elongated too much that he is consistently sacked, stripped, or has passes defended that QBs with textbook deliveries don't have to deal with. Think about the difference between what's considered a good 40-time or a good shuttle time in college and the NFL. It's probably a matter of tenths of a second. A college RB who runs a 4.7 40-yard dash is often a productive runner and sometimes a star. An NFL RB who runs a 4.7 40-yard dash is on the bench holding it down for someone to replace him while an excellent runner with a 4.5-40 is considered average speed. We're talking two tenths of a second. Think about how many steps a defender probably covers in two tenths of a second, and how an elongated delivery might take up to that same amount of time. I would think two tenths of a second is an extra step or two - that is significant. Just look at Leftwich's career. Look at Drew Bledsoe hanging onto the ball in the pocket that "extra bit" longer than he should have at the end of his career. It makes a difference. Tebow is doing the right thing to address his deficiencies. It's a very positive thing. Whether it will reap positive benefits is the long-term question. I think Tebow will become a better thrower of the football due to the change. However, it won't change his ability to scan the field. If he can give him more velocity and distance AND give him better skill at throwing the ball while moving to his right - then in theory, he acquire the passing skills of a viable NFL prospect at QB.
:goodposting:I meant to mention Leftwich earlier.

this is a calculated move to drive up his stock. and what a scam about him not unveiling it at this week's scouting combine.

basically saying my delivery sucks I have a new one that will work but you cant see it until pro day.

does any one have a link about him hiring people to say nice things about him? I heard this on the air and wanted to get more info on this.

JohnnyU said:
Tebow is not the kind of guy who's going to screw over dozens of teammates and tens of thousands of fans by wasting a year with a national championship caliber team that will likely be rebuilding the next year, by experimenting on something that benefits only him.
Working on his mechanics so he can get the ball out quicker and more accurately would screw over his teammates and fans?

JohnnyU said:
Working on his mechanics so he can get the ball out quicker and more accurately would screw over his teammates and fans?
:goodposting:Exactly. This line of defense is illogical.

JohnnyU said:
I never suggested that, I just find it funny neither he nor someone on the staff who "cared" about his future, took the time to learn/teach him the basics for the next level...and some of this stuff is basics. I am not naive enough to think that FL would overhaul the offense into a pro-style for the benefit of one player, yet I find it funny that they would not take the time to better their "poster boy" for the NFL ranks. College is all about setting people up for the future, yet they seem to be more factory-like. Doesn't matter whether that baby rattle on the assembly line goes into a baby's hand or a stripper's tail.

Yeah, I would think completely changing the way someone throws the ball and letting them experiment with it in a situation where one mistake could cost a national championship contender their entire season would pretty accurately describe that.I mean, you're backtracking here. You implied that he should have worked on changing his throwing motion to better prepare himself for the NFL, not to make him a better quarterback in the short-term. If simply changing your throwing motion at will were something that could be done in a day, why wouldn't everyone who has an awkward motion just do it?Because in the short-term, it's highly unlikely that he would be a better player. There would be growing pains, and in college football in the SEC you don't get a chance to have growing pains because one slip up at any point during the year and you could be out of it.If it was suddenly discovered that throwing the ball side-armed was a better way to do it than throwing it overhand, do you think an NFL quarterback would make the switch to start throwing side-armed during the NFL playoffs? In college football, every game is like a playoff game. You lose and you may never get another shot.To imply that a player doesn't have a very high probability of being worse in the short-term while getting accustomed to a new throwing motion is what I find completely illogical. I thought this was as black and white as it gets.

:oExactly. This line of defense is illogical.
Yeah, I would think completely changing the way someone throws the ball and letting them experiment with it in a situation where one mistake could cost a national championship contender their entire season would pretty accurately describe that.I mean, you're backtracking here. You implied that he should have worked on changing his throwing motion to better prepare himself for the NFL, not to make him a better quarterback in the short-term. If simply changing your throwing motion at will were something that could be done in a day, why wouldn't everyone who has an awkward motion just do it?Because in the short-term, it's highly unlikely that he would be a better player. There would be growing pains, and in college football in the SEC you don't get a chance to have growing pains because one slip up at any point during the year and you could be out of it.If it was suddenly discovered that throwing the ball side-armed was a better way to do it than throwing it overhand, do you think an NFL quarterback would make the switch to start throwing side-armed during the NFL playoffs? In college football, every game is like a playoff game. You lose and you may never get another shot.To imply that a player doesn't have a very high probability of being worse in the short-term while getting accustomed to a new throwing motion is what I find completely illogical. I thought this was as black and white as it gets.
I'm not backtracking at all. I don't think he can do it and succeed in the NFL as a starting QB, period. If I was a NFL GM, no way would I even consider drafting him to play QB. I suppose it's possible he can fill some kind of Slash/Wildcat role, but all indications are that he doesn't want to go that route.But for those who think he can do it, then he should have done it sooner. Just as it would stand to make him better in the NFL, it would also have made him a better college QB.

i'm very skeptical.

If he can do it now ( 6 weeks before the draft) it stands to reason that he could do it during one of his 3 offseasons at UF. Their season ends in January, at which point he had 8 and a half months before his next meaningful game.

If Tebow was capable of developing a more compact and accurate throwing motion, he would have done it by now IMO. If he was capable of doing it and the UF coaches didn't help him get there, then shame on them.

i'm very skeptical. If he can do it now ( 6 weeks before the draft) it stands to reason that he could do it during one of his 3 offseasons at UF. Their season ends in January, at which point he had 8 and a half months before his next meaningful game. If Tebow was capable of developing a more compact and accurate throwing motion, he would have done it by now IMO. If he was capable of doing it and the UF coaches didn't help him get there, then shame on them.
I thought one of the main reasons they brought in Scott Loeffler was to fix Tebow's mechanics for his final season. For some reason there wasn't any improvement.

Despite having such a terrible delivery, would anyone let me know where he stands on the ALL TIME NCAA D1 career passing efficiency list? Could someone look that up for me, I'm having a hard time finding it.

OK, maybe I know the answer. Maybe you should too. Tim Tebow is the #1 all time career passing efficiency leader. Not top individual season, but #1 of all time. And this is no Hawaii or old time BYU schedule they play. They play in what is regarded as the best football conference in the country.

Yea, but his release is too slow......he will never make it in the NFL. That is a concern, and while I know it was just a quick little controlled video on ESPN, I saw what looked to be a pretty good release in that video.

I agree there are some things you can't teach. I believe first and foremost that leadership is a characteristic that you either have or you don't. I also believe that speed is nearly uncoachable. But to believe that a guy who might be the hardest working QB in college football is incapable of changing his throwing motion, despite having every other skill set you would want in a QB is crazy. I'm not saying he is 100% foolproof, and I think recent history is littered with QBs who have a great release, but are done in by an inability to lead men or act as a professional.

I'm going to guess someone in the late first round will get a call from a team wanting to move up to pick him. He could be the face of a franchise for 10 years, even if you need to wait to let it happen. I know this, I sure as hell wouldn't let him get past me if I even thought I would need a QB in the next three years.

I'm not backtracking at all. I don't think he can do it and succeed in the NFL as a starting QB, period. If I was a NFL GM, no way would I even consider drafting him to play QB. I suppose it's possible he can fill some kind of Slash/Wildcat role, but all indications are that he doesn't want to go that route.But for those who think he can do it, then he should have done it sooner. Just as it would stand to make him better in the NFL, it would also have made him a better college QB.
I'm not really sure how much more plainly I can put this for you.The national championship window in college football is extremely small. UF returned all 11 defensive starters and the best QB in their (and possibly all of college football's) history last year. This year, they lose practically all of that. So really they had one shot.Tebow is one of the (if not THE) highest rated passers in the history of college football. You would have to be some kind of extreme meddler (and extremely foolish to boot) to tinker with that when if it doesn't work it means you sacrifice everything for something that, in the COLLEGE game, would be a very minor improvement if any at all.No one is saying changing any of this will make Tebow a better quarterback. People are saying it MIGHT make Tebow a better PRO quarterback. His release was not an issue in college, especially in the system Florida ran. He barely ever fumbled in college, which is the main concern with his release in the pros. It would have been a marginal improvement if any at all for him in college, at the risk of ruining everything if it didn't work out.

I'm not really sure how much more plainly I can put this for you.The national championship window in college football is extremely small. UF returned all 11 defensive starters and the best QB in their (and possibly all of college football's) history last year. This year, they lose practically all of that. So really they had one shot.Tebow is one of the (if not THE) highest rated passers in the history of college football. You would have to be some kind of extreme meddler (and extremely foolish to boot) to tinker with that when if it doesn't work it means you sacrifice everything for something that, in the COLLEGE game, would be a very minor improvement if any at all.No one is saying changing any of this will make Tebow a better quarterback. People are saying it MIGHT make Tebow a better PRO quarterback. His release was not an issue in college, especially in the system Florida ran. He barely ever fumbled in college, which is the main concern with his release in the pros. It would have been a marginal improvement if any at all for him in college, at the risk of ruining everything if it didn't work out.
Whatever. I already stated my primary point, which is that I don't think he will ever be a successful starting NFL QB.And the primary concern is not that he will fumble a lot. That is a concern, because he will stand to get hit and sacked a lot due to the slow delivery, but there are bigger issues. I would rate his problems in order of importance as follows:1. Has to learn how to take snaps from center and master all associated footwork and ability to read defenses while dropping back.2. Has to fix his delivery or it will be too slow for him to get the ball to his receivers while they are open... which will likely result in a poor completion percentage and/or poor ypa along with plenty of interceptions, due to late arriving throws.3. Has to fix his delivery to avoid excessive sacks and hits while throwing, which could result in more turnovers (both interceptions and fumbles).

i'm very skeptical. If he can do it now ( 6 weeks before the draft) it stands to reason that he could do it during one of his 3 offseasons at UF. Their season ends in January, at which point he had 8 and a half months before his next meaningful game. If Tebow was capable of developing a more compact and accurate throwing motion, he would have done it by now IMO. If he was capable of doing it and the UF coaches didn't help him get there, then shame on them.
I thought one of the main reasons they brought in Scott Loeffler was to fix Tebow's mechanics for his final season. For some reason there wasn't any improvement.
Maybe his work ethic was lacking because it is apparently easy to fix.

He looks awkward and uncomfortable and arm strength didn't look good. That is to be expected though seeing as he's only been doing it for a few weeks. He has a LONG road ahead of him, and even if he gets all the fundamentals down he still has no experience working in a NFL offense.

If a team drafts him to be their QB, they will be making a mistake. If they draft him to be their QB in an early round, they will be making a huge mistake.

Last edited:
Despite having such a terrible delivery, would anyone let me know where he stands on the ALL TIME NCAA D1 career passing efficiency list? Could someone look that up for me, I'm having a hard time finding it.

OK, maybe I know the answer. Maybe you should too. Tim Tebow is the #1 all time career passing efficiency leader. Not top individual season, but #1 of all time. And this is no Hawaii or old time BYU schedule they play. They play in what is regarded as the best football conference in the country.

Yea, but his release is too slow......he will never make it in the NFL. That is a concern, and while I know it was just a quick little controlled video on ESPN, I saw what looked to be a pretty good release in that video.

I agree there are some things you can't teach. I believe first and foremost that leadership is a characteristic that you either have or you don't. I also believe that speed is nearly uncoachable. But to believe that a guy who might be the hardest working QB in college football is incapable of changing his throwing motion, despite having every other skill set you would want in a QB is crazy. I'm not saying he is 100% foolproof, and I think recent history is littered with QBs who have a great release, but are done in by an inability to lead men or act as a professional.

I'm going to guess someone in the late first round will get a call from a team wanting to move up to pick him. He could be the face of a franchise for 10 years, even if you need to wait to let it happen. I know this, I sure as hell wouldn't let him get past me if I even thought I would need a QB in the next three years.
I have to disagree with this nicely written response. Comparing leadership in the FBS and the NFL is like comparing good leadership of a college's student council and a good leadership of a Fortune 500 company. Sure, some of the good student council leaders will make good Fortune 500 leaders but not all. Let's look at some great college QBs who played decent competition and had nice releases and good leadership:

Steve Walsh, Miami - Miami played tough teams and he was statistically one of the bigger winners in college football history.

Charlie Ward, FSU - 23-2 as a starter.

Ken Dorsey, Miam - 38-2 as a starter, 31 straight games with a TD pass, two National Championship games, one title.

Danny Wuerffel, UF - His stats? 708 of 1,170 passes for 10,875 yards and 114 touchdowns. Competition? Faced 22 ranked teams in his career and won a national title in two shots. His career passer rating was 163.56, which was best in college history for a spell. According to Pete Fiutak, who I gleaned most of this information from he was the only passer at the time of this article to maintain a 170 passer rating for back-to-back seasons.

While I believe Charlie Ward could have had a chance if he chose to compete for an NFL job, none of these guys were successful NFL QBs for the long haul. The most damning evidence is Wuerffel, who competed in the SEC during a period where the talent level was massively high, was surrounded by talent like Tebow was, and played in an offense that did not work when it came to the NFL for similar reasons Meyer's offense wouldn't work if it was transitioned there.

Casting Tebow in a blood and guts, big-time leader position with good stats is true for what he did in college football. However, I think stats and wins can be a huge misnomer when looking at NFL talent. His passing efficiency is dictated very much by a system just like all the QBs at Texas Tech, BYU, Houston, Hawaii, etc. Sure, some QBs from those schools had NFL talent, but the numbers were enhanced due to a well-executed system. Florida's system is similar in that regard. Omar Jacobs was a big-time QB at Bowling Green for Urban Meyer. A little time in Pittsburgh, KC, and the World League was the extent of his pro career.

It's cool you're a big supporter of Tebow and believe in him. You might be right that at team takes him late in the first round. However, I believe it will be a mistake for that team because skill in the NFL is a different thing than skill in college football.

I think ESPN News correctly summarized this in their ticker yesterday: "Tebow changing throwing style to improve draft position."

That's an understatement.It's like a substance abuser of 20 years going through the motions in rehab because his family is demanding it. The chances of correcting the many years of doing it the wrong way in just a month or two are slim and none.If anyone takes this kid in the top 2 rounds I'll laugh. :lmao: Better not be the Packers. :lmao:

GordonGekko said:
The video means that Tebow is saying he is ok with being a 2nd or 3rd round pick and staying at the 3 slot as a developmental QB.

Odds are he will have to switch positions anyway.

The thing that most people aren't looking at, but maybe they should ( I am) is that Tebow might have more value switching over to the defensive side of the ball. He is a gifted athlete and his size ( 6'3 and 240ish) would be suitable for a linebacker or with some tweaks/weightloss and considering he has decent speed, maybe a strong safety. As a defender, his experience as a QB might be pretty helpful, he's seen defenses in a much different light than most defenders who have played their whole careers on that side of the ball.

Also as a defender, where he would cover specific assignments as part of a whole unit, it would be a bit easier to hide some of his deficiencies and I think the learning curve would be less brutal than as a QB. His speed on offense as a skill player isn't incredible, but as a defender, his speed relative to his size, would be more formidable.

It's a leap, but if the Patriots and Angry Bill draft the guy in round 2, I think they convert him to a defender.
For Tebow's sake I hope you are wrong. I am sure there must be scenarios where that has worked but I am not thinking of any off hand. One that seems fairly similar that did not work out was Scott Frost of Nebraska. He was a great athlete in college but ran out of the option (not a good passer) so they tried to convert him to DB. Did not work out. Obviously Tebow is a significantly better passer which is why he is attempting to refine those skills (perhaps too late) now. But if a team tried to do this, I would be surprised if it worked out for him.

That's an understatement.It's like a substance abuser of 20 years going through the motions in rehab because his family is demanding it. The chances of correcting the many years of doing it the wrong way in just a month or two are slim and none.If anyone takes this kid in the top 2 rounds I'll laugh. :( Better not be the Packers. :gang1:
He will be going in the first 2 rounds so you can start laughing now. I mean P. White was the 12 pick in round 2 last year and you would have to guess that Tebow offers every bit of upside of a guy like White and then some if he does end up making the transition into the NFL.

That's an understatement.It's like a substance abuser of 20 years going through the motions in rehab because his family is demanding it. The chances of correcting the many years of doing it the wrong way in just a month or two are slim and none.If anyone takes this kid in the top 2 rounds I'll laugh. :) Better not be the Packers. :bowtie:
He will be going in the first 2 rounds so you can start laughing now. I mean P. White was the 12 pick in round 2 last year and you would have to guess that Tebow offers every bit of upside of a guy like White and then some if he does end up making the transition into the NFL.
-That was a massive reach for White last year. Everyone was surprised. Most draft gurus agreed it was a huge reach.-White ran the spread in college and just happened to be a fit for what Miami wanted to do. 2nd round was awfully early for a guy that sees the field only 3-5 times per game though.-White runs a 4.5 forty, Tebow a 4.8 forty.Tebow was a great college QB. He will not be even a serviceable pro QB imo.

Users who are viewing this thread