What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Team Spotlight: Kansas City Chiefs (1 Viewer)

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
See the pinned thread for links to each team spotlight.

I'll start off by posting my projections to get us going. The idea is for others to post their own projections as well, or to comment on the projections posted by others.

Overall

508 pass attempts for 301 receptions, 3269 yards, 20 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions; 458 rushes for 1985 yards and 11 touchdowns.

QB

Matt Cassel: 282 of 476 passing for 3073 yards, 19 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions; 50 rushes for 177 yards and 1 touchdowns.

Brodie Croyle: 19 of 32 passing for 197 yards, 1 touchdowns, and 1 interceptions; 3 rushes for 8 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Matt Gutierrez: 0 of 0 passing for 0 yards, 0 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions; 0 rushes for 0 yards and 0 touchdowns.

RB

Jamaal Charles: 258 rushes for 1215 yards and 7 touchdowns; 40 receptions for 305 yards and 1 touchdowns.

Thomas Jones: 99 rushes for 391 yards and 3 touchdowns; 12 receptions for 73 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Javarris Williams: 4 rushes for 16 yards and 0 touchdowns; 2 receptions for 16 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Dantrell Savage: 4 rushes for 16 yards and 0 touchdowns; 2 receptions for 16 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Kolby Smith: 4 rushes for 14 yards and 0 touchdowns; 2 receptions for 16 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Jackie Battle: 4 rushes for 15 yards and 0 touchdowns; 2 receptions for 15 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Tim Castille: 4 rushes for 16 yards and 0 touchdowns; 2 receptions for 16 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Mike Cox: 20 rushes for 78 yards and 1 touchdowns; 12 receptions for 81 yards and 0 touchdowns.

WR

Dwayne Bowe: 48 receptions for 586 yards and 4 touchdowns; 0 rushes for 0 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Chris Chambers: 42 receptions for 547 yards and 4 touchdowns; 0 rushes for 0 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Dexter McCluster: 44 receptions for 554 yards and 3 touchdowns; 5 rushes for 28 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Lance Long: 15 receptions for 167 yards and 1 touchdowns; 1 rushes for 4 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Jerheme Urban: 8 receptions for 111 yards and 1 touchdowns; 0 rushes for 0 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Devard Darling: 7 receptions for 100 yards and 1 touchdowns; 0 rushes for 0 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Terrance Copper: 10 receptions for 125 yards and 1 touchdowns; 1 rushes for 4 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Quinten Lawrence: 10 receptions for 124 yards and 1 touchdowns; 1 rushes for 4 yards and 0 touchdowns.

TE

Leonard Pope: 9 receptions for 81 yards and 1 touchdowns.

Tony Moeaki: 21 receptions for 207 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Jake OConnell: 4 receptions for 41 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Brad Cottam: 9 receptions for 88 yards and 1 touchdowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am actually pretty excited about the Chiefs this year. I think Weis is going to take the offense to the next level. Bowe, Charles and now McCluster make them pretty explosive.

Cassell is still a bit of a question mark, but I think he will be the QB2 I target in most leagues. Cheap investment that can yield a big return if this team clicks.

What's with the Bowe numbers? I don't think I've run across a single website that lists Bowe outside of the top 30 WRs in 2010, which would certianly put him at more then 586/4...

What's with the Bowe numbers? I don't think I've run across a single website that lists Bowe outside of the top 30 WRs in 2010, which would certianly put him at more then 586/4...
:goodposting: I think MT must have just used last years numbers as his are almost identical to what Bowe did in just 11 games including two game he had 1 reception. If Bowe plays a full season, which seems like he should (4 of the 5 missed games were suspension), he should blow past MT's estimate.

RBJamaal Charles: 258 rushes for 1215 yards and 7 touchdowns; 40 receptions for 305 yards and 1 touchdowns.Thomas Jones: 99 rushes for 391 yards and 3 touchdowns; 12 receptions for 73 yards and 0 touchdowns.
Interesting split on the RB touches. I'd be curious to know your thoughts here - are you assuming it's Charles job from the outset with Jones in a clear backup/complementary role, or a reasonably even split at first with Charles eventually assuming more of the load? I would side with the latter camp - I think Jones hits the wall this year.

I think the RB projections are pretty spot on.

Bowe? Way off.

78 receptions 1090 Yards 7 TD's. STUD WR...he is this teams only chance at a good passing game.

I think chambers may surprise as well.

As a chief last year Chambers put up more yards than that in 8 games. I think he'll be closer to 800 yds and 5-6 TDs.

Any Chiefs fans have any insight on Derrick Johnson? Not necessarily from a fantasy perspective, but from a football perspective. Is this guy going to see the field? Is he any good? Traded?

I would expect Bowe to have atleast 25 - 30 more receptions than what you have him pegged at, but I can understand the low number IF the Chiefs use McCluster as we are all assuming they will. I see McCluster eating into the receptions of the WR's. I assume they will move McCluster all over the place to exploit matchups.

I like the numbers for Charles. Thomas Jones is in a world of hurt behind this crappy Chiefs O-line and I don't think Cassell really scares anyone. They will need Charles and McCluster's shiftiness in the back field to avoid being tackled for a loss.

As far as DJ...the knock on him is that he isn't physical enough to play inside in the 3-4 (or outside for that matter). He shys away from contact and refuses to take on the guard in the hole to stuff the run. He would rather side step the blocker and chase the play down from behind. Seems like WLB in a 4-3 is his ideal suit. Unfortunately the Chiefs run the 3-4 and DJ hasn't impressed in practices and Haley doesn't seem to concerned with getting him on the field. They are trying their hardest to get other guys on the field like Belcher and Studebaker.

While I think the AFC West is wide open due to the Broncos sucking, the Chargers taking a step back missing their best lineman and WR, and I can see the Raiders improving some. Even though the Chiefs look improved on paper and should be atleast a couple games better, I just don't see them having the horses to seriously conted for the AFCW title. I still don't like Haley as a coach and I think he's pissing off too many players with his head games he plays with the vets (Brian Waters, DJ, Bowe, Charles, etc.).

RBJamaal Charles: 258 rushes for 1215 yards and 7 touchdowns; 40 receptions for 305 yards and 1 touchdowns.Thomas Jones: 99 rushes for 391 yards and 3 touchdowns; 12 receptions for 73 yards and 0 touchdowns.
Interesting split on the RB touches. I'd be curious to know your thoughts here - are you assuming it's Charles job from the outset with Jones in a clear backup/complementary role, or a reasonably even split at first with Charles eventually assuming more of the load? I would side with the latter camp - I think Jones hits the wall this year.
Same here. I don't think they could have persuaded Jones to sign absent some sign that he'd get more than 7 touches a game. The only way he averages that few is if he gets 12 the first half of the season and clearly isn't getting it done, or gets hurt.

Any Chiefs fans have any insight on Derrick Johnson? Not necessarily from a fantasy perspective, but from a football perspective. Is this guy going to see the field? Is he any good? Traded?
There are rumors everywhere about DJ. The latest rumor considers Detroit's interest in him, specifically b/c Gunther was the Def Coord in KC when DJ was drafted, and Detroit had a starting LB go on IR. He is currently running with the 1st team defense at Inside LB with Belcher. The Poili regime is so tight-lipped about everything that it is only fan speculation on what is going on there. He didn't start in game 1 of the pre-season, and played almost every snap after the starters went out of the game...not sure what that means to be honest.He is in a contract year this year, so if he is going to be traded, my thoughts are that it will be before the season starts. If he makes it to the regular season on the roster, I am guessing he will start.

greenf7cat said:
There are rumors everywhere about DJ. The latest rumor considers Detroit's interest in him, specifically b/c Gunther was the Def Coord in KC when DJ was drafted, and Detroit had a starting LB go on IR. He is currently running with the 1st team defense at Inside LB with Belcher. The Poili regime is so tight-lipped about everything that it is only fan speculation on what is going on there. He didn't start in game 1 of the pre-season, and played almost every snap after the starters went out of the game...not sure what that means to be honest.He is in a contract year this year, so if he is going to be traded, my thoughts are that it will be before the season starts. If he makes it to the regular season on the roster, I am guessing he will start.
Is he any good? What are your thoughts of him as a player?

Is he any good? What are your thoughts of him as a player?
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to answer this. He is the most athletic LB they have had since the late Derrick Thomas. With that being said, he is by far the most talented on the roster the past 3 years. He won the Butkis award in college, and can fly all over the field. The area that he has his difficulty is shedding off blockers and over pursuing. He makes the spectacular plays (see Week 17 vs. Denver last year) which makes every fan imagine the possibilities, but the following week he gets "lost" for the entire game. He has the chance to be very good, especially since he is in a contract year in '10, but he needs to show more consistency. As a MLB, he should be the unquestioned leader on that defense and he's not

Re: DJ, I got this is an email back in February. The guy who sent this has been spot-on before in regards to Chiefs matters. The guy knew Priest was done before anyone else did, etc. I hesitate to post this, as it gets pretty in-depth with Johnson's life, but it's the only way to explain the situation.

------

This information comes from several sources over 3 years. The original piece of info was from "the source", I was serving on the board of directors of a charity that did a fundraiser for the Derrick Johnson foundation and came across more of this information, Also Derrick's brother provided some of this information.

Not going to say who provided what etc. Also a lot of this is assumption and conclusions. As will be obvious only a few in the world know the real truth. So it would be best to treat this as a full blown rumor and take massive grains of salt with this info.

DJ has always been motivated by his dad, to excel, to seek his approval. After DJ's 2nd season his Dad came to KC and told him he was being lazy and partying too much. DJ had a different opinion. Their relationship soured to the point they rarely talked. Then Dad died unexpectedly without any resolution to their issue and DJ just gave up and wanted to quit football, but he needed the money so he stayed.

The Chiefs have tried to get him in counseling, but he won't go. He's drinking heavily. Haley took him under his wing and tried to help him and get some counseling. Had him out to his home for a home cooked meal with Haley's family. There are many in the Chiefs organization that think DJ is faking or slow playing healing of injuries due to a lack of desire to play the game. He's very up and down with mood swings.

--------

Also add -- assuming there is a 2011 season, I think DJ is a unrestricted free agent.

Does anyone have any insight into the tight end situation? I'm finding a dearth of information on them. About the only news I can find on any of their tight ends is several weeks old.

Is Moeaki back practicing? Does it look like he's still got a good chance to be the main receiving TE or is Pope holding onto the job?

And before anyone asks, yes, there are leagues that use enough TE that every NFL starter matters.

This is the closest thing I could find to an *OFFICIAL* 2010 Chiefs thread. :shrug:

So, ummm.... congratulations! Amazing turnaround. Good young talent everywhere. :(

Interesting thread.

Derrick Johnson has had a Pro Bowl year and was rewarded for his efforts with a 5-year contract extension.

I wasn't high on Bowe at all coming into this season. With his physical talent, anything was possible. But he appeared to have a poor attitude last season, was in and out of Haley's dog house, had some really bad drops toward the end of the season, and was substantially outperformed by Chris Chambers over the second half of the season after Chambers joined the team. Congrats to him for proving me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread