What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (1 Viewer)

He got banged up early in the year and I do wonder if he has been playing with injuries this year. No doubt his age will eventually catch up to him but I do wonder how much the injuries have impacted him this year.

I think it's that knee he hurt the last week of training camp.

Last night early on Mahomes threw that corner route over his head in the end zone. The camera showed Kelce walking off raising his hand (to come out of the game), and he was grabbing at that right knee.

He came back in later but my money is on that knee and possible surgery in the offseason.
….or retire instead.
I thought he might retire but didn't he say a week or two ago he was going to play again next year? Anyways, retirement is getting closer for Travis each year.
Words are beyond pointless coming from athletes

He got banged up early in the year and I do wonder if he has been playing with injuries this year. No doubt his age will eventually catch up to him but I do wonder how much the injuries have impacted him this year.

Last night early on Mahomes threw that corner route over his head in the end zone. The camera showed Kelce walking off raising his hand (to come out of the game), and he was grabbing at that right knee.

He came back in later but my money is on that knee and possible surgery in the offseason.
….or retire instead.
I thought he might retire but didn't he say a week or two ago he was going to play again next year? Anyways, retirement is getting closer for Travis each year.
Why wouldn't I believe him when he says he's coming back?

….or retire instead.
Why wouldn't I believe him when he says he's coming back?
Because it was an irrelevant comment.
Now if he said he was retiring, that might actually mean something.

With Jason retiring does Travis also retire so they can go into the Hall at the same time?
Jason even said this week that Travis has lots more football left in him. For sure things can change, especially if KC wins another SB - going out on top is something.

What we do know at this point is the media asked Travis if he is retiring and he said he plans to play next year. Could it change? Sure. But it's not the standard - I will take some time this offseason and decide. He said he is coming back.

Until he says otherwise and files his retirement papers....

Kelce isn’t retiring. He is still healthy and has the best QB in the game throwing him the ball. His production is probably going to drop off some but he is going to finish as a top TE next season.

I also believe he plays next year, but I do believe he’s to the point that if he has anywhere near a serious injury from this point going forward he WOULD retire.

With Jason retiring does Travis also retire so they can go into the Hall at the same time?
Jason even said this week that Travis has lots more football left in him. For sure things can change, especially if KC wins another SB - going out on top is something.

What we do know at this point is the media asked Travis if he is retiring and he said he plans to play next year. Could it change? Sure. But it's not the standard - I will take some time this offseason and decide. He said he is coming back.

Yes, it was the definitive way he responded that made me think retirement is not even a consideration.

And really the idea of going into the HOF together is something I'd NOT want if all things were equal. That's your day. Anyone ever have your birthday party combined with another family members's who birthdady was close? Any of you born around Christmas and hate people making them a combo package on you?That's what going in to the HOF with your brother would be like to me. Entirely separate parties and teammates to share the day with, pretty sure the Kelce clan won't mind returning to Canton to give each of them their own speical day.

Yes, it was the definitive way he responded that made me think retirement is not even a consideration.

And really the idea of going into the HOF together is something I'd NOT want if all things were equal. That's your day. Anyone ever have your birthday party combined with another family members's who birthdady was close? Any of you born around Christmas and hate people making them a combo package on you?That's what going in to the HOF with your brother would be like to me. Entirely separate parties and teammates to share the day with, pretty sure the Kelce clan won't mind returning to Canton to give each of them their own speical day.
Great point made here

I agree. Me and my bro have bdays on or near big holidays. It sucks - your bday is always second to the event or holiday.

Not only that, it isn't a 100% lock that both of them would make first ballot in that scenario where both retire before the 2024 season. I think both are worthy first ballot HOFers, but consider some of the other modern era HOF centers:
  • Dwight Stephenson became eligible in 1993 but was not inducted until the class of 1998
  • Mike Webster became eligible in 1996 but was not inducted until the class of 1997
  • Dermontti Dawson became eligible in 2006 but was not inducted until the class of 2012
  • Kevin Mawae became eligible in 2015 but was not inducted until the class of 2019
I think the PFR HOF Monitor metric is flawed, but FWIW it ranks Kelce below all four of those guys. So retiring the same year wouldn't guarantee anything about getting in together.

Not only that, it isn't a 100% lock that both of them would make first ballot in that scenario where both retire before the 2024 season. I think both are worthy first ballot HOFers, but consider some of the other modern era HOF centers:
  • Dwight Stephenson became eligible in 1993 but was not inducted until the class of 1998
  • Mike Webster became eligible in 1996 but was not inducted until the class of 1997
  • Dermontti Dawson became eligible in 2006 but was not inducted until the class of 2012
  • Kevin Mawae became eligible in 2015 but was not inducted until the class of 2019
I think the PFR HOF Monitor metric is flawed, but FWIW it ranks Kelce below all four of those guys. So retiring the same year wouldn't guarantee anything about getting in together.
Given the centers you mentioned, and I saw all of them play, I would rank all of them over Kelce. So he probably has < 50% probability of making it in on his first ballot.

….or retire instead.
I mean in fairness retirement is getting closer for literally every player each year

….or retire instead.
I mean in fairness retirement is getting closer for literally every player each year
No sheet

Every day when I get home from work my kids ask me:

"How was your day at work?"

Me: "One day closer to retirement."

lol. same here. I’m “only” in my mid-50s but thinking about it a lot.
The phrase we use at work to describe us long tenured, “old timers” is “ride the board to the beach, baby“.

Kelce is doing the opposite of riding the board to the beach. He’s laying it all out there every week.

Yes, Taylor Swift can easily make Super Bowl 58

TS has concert in Tokyo 🇯🇵 on Saturday, Feb. 10 at 6 pm local time

Tokyo 🛫 Las Vegas: 12 HRS

Tokyo 🕙 16+ HRS Las Vegas

Swift leaves Tokyo at noon Sunday 2/11

Arrives in Las Vegas at 8 am Sunday 2/11

SB Kickoff: 3:28 pm VT

Next Concert: 2/16 🇦🇺

Talk about solving a Scooby Doo mystery. Ha ha

There’s certainly the going out on top factor if they win the SB again, but I could see Kelce staying another year waiting to see if KC can find some more reliable pass catchers for Mahomes going forward other than Rice. His snap percentage was high this year but I could see them limiting his playing time more going forward to keep him healthy for the post-season and give some other guys chances to gel with Mahomes.

I was told there’d be no Math.

That first half was one of the best I've ever seen from any player. 10 for 10, and mostly very tightly contested catches. He refused to be denied. Just a great player turning in a superior performance in the biggest moment

I actually sat down and figured this out on Saturday because me and my brothers were texting about the game on Sunday to see if she could make the Super Bowl.

:bag:

I actually sat down and figured this out on Saturday because me and my brothers were texting about the game on Sunday to see if she could make the Super Bowl.
There is a murmur of people online who realize that the Swift coverage makes certain people really angry, and so there is a little bit of trolling going on, as getting mad about Taylor is kind of funny, to some people.

I am totally in.

I hope NFLN has a private jet tracker with real-time updates from Japan. :popcorn:

There is a murmur of people online who realize that the Swift coverage makes certain people really angry, and so there is a little bit of trolling going on, as getting mad about Taylor is kind of funny, to some people.

I am totally in.

I hope NFLN has a private jet tracker with real-time updates from Japan. :popcorn:
:lol:

Yeah, you and me both. It's pretty funny to me to see so many people mad about this.

Gonna be fun to watch this build for the next two weeks. If she makes it to the game the tv audience will smash any previous record.

I am totally in.

:lol:

Yeah, you and me both. It's pretty funny to me to see so many people mad about this.

Gonna be fun to watch this build for the next two weeks. If she makes it to the game the tv audience will smash any previous record.
Burp…..now spit

Oh, and count me in the camp that thinks Kelce just might retire after this year, with a slightly higher likelihood if they win.

Most of the reasons I saw people say he wouldn't don't seem to be reasons I think he'd stay and kill himself even more.

It would be odd to watch a game you otherwise would not have just because Taylor Swift is there and on screen for 25 seconds.
I suppose those that don’t really follow football might. How hokey is that? Same reason regarding commercials during the Super Bowl.

It would be odd to watch a game you otherwise would not have just because Taylor Swift is there and on screen for 25 seconds.
I suppose those that don’t really follow football might. How hokey is that? Same reason regarding commercials during the Super Bowl.
I have a SIL who is trying to relive her youth through her daughter and both are Swifties.

I have known her for over 30 years and she can't possibly be less into sports, have never seen her watch a game or so much as talk about a game and same for her daughter.

This morning I got texts from her showing some Kelce/Swift themed sweatshirts she bought for her and and her daughter and telling me she's never been so excited about a SB in her life.

I don't mind the Swift coverage at all, nothing to be mad about, but I've already told my wife to please not invite your sister over because I don't want to hear her during the game(or anytime if I'm being honest, lol)

Also not sure why anyone is still trying to push the Kelce might retire agenda, it's not happening.

Gonzalez still has him beat when it comes to overall stats and All-Pro teams, but Kelce is making a hard push for best TE ever. I think he's blown past Gronk, whose lack of durability hurts him when comparing him to the others in the TE GOAT discussion.

Gonzalez still has him beat when it comes to overall stats and All-Pro teams, but Kelce is making a hard push for best TE ever. I think he's blown past Gronk, whose lack of durability hurts him when comparing him to the others in the TE GOAT discussion.

Blown past Gronk?

Think everyone has forgotten what a beast he was. And he was a devastating blocker. He's the best all around TE ever IMHO.

Does Kelce even block?

Blown past Gronk?

Think everyone has forgotten what a beast he was. And he was a devastating blocker. He's the best all around TE ever IMHO.

Does Kelce even block?
Yes.

Kelce:
4 1st Team All-Pros
3 2nd Team All-Pros
11,328 yards
907 catches
74 touchdowns

Gronk:
4 1st Team All-Pros
0 2nd Team All-Pros
9,286 yards
621 catches
92 touchdowns

Yes, he has blown past Gronk. TDs is the only area where Gronk still has him beat, but Kelce has ran past him in so many other areas that it renders his trailing in TDs largely irrelevant. And Kelce could still catch him there if he plays 2-3 more seasons. Gronk was a TD machine, no doubt about it, but his lack of durability was glaring. Plus, Gronk had the luxury of playing with TB12 his entire career. Kelce has had Mahomes for six seasons now, but was an All-Pro already with Alex Smith (good QB, but not a great one by any means).

Gronk was a TD machine, no doubt about it, but his lack of durability was glaring.
Gronk’s lack of durability was due to the fact he was also basically a third offensive tackle out there.

Talking about best tight ends ever and not mentioning Gronk’s elite blocking should truly disqualify anybody from speaking on it. He was 1 of 1.

And that’s nothing against Kelce. He’s the second best ever but Gronk was the all-around player.

Gronk was a TD machine, no doubt about it, but his lack of durability was glaring.
Gronk’s lack of durability was due to the fact he was also basically a third offensive tackle out there.

Talking about best tight ends ever and not mentioning Gronk’s elite blocking should truly disqualify anybody from speaking on it. He was 1 of 1.

And that’s nothing against Kelce. He’s the second best ever but Gronk was the all-around player.
Just because I didn't mention Gronk's blocking doesn't mean I was disregarding it. Let's be serious now.

Does being a better blocker make up for how far behind he is now in most of those categories I mentioned? If Gronk was the best ever, how come he only made the All-Pro team four times (at a position that always gets at least two players on it)?

Being a great blocker trumps being an average or worse blocker for sure, but I'm with @Ghost Rider here.

GR left out first downs, and postseason statistics:
  • Kelce 597 regular season 1D
  • Gronk 461 regular season 1D
  • Postseason:
    • Kelce 156/1810/19 and 98 1D
    • Gronk 98/1389/15 and 74 1D
So Kelce is +344 receptions, +2463 yards, +160 1D, -14 TD

Back in the height of the Hines Ward "best blocking WR of all time" hype train, we had multiple long discussions here about the worth of WR blocking vs. WR receiving. Hint, receiving >>>>> blocking.

Blocking is no doubt more important for TE than WR, and an elite blocking TE is very valuable. But it takes a lot of elite blocking to add value equivalent to the delta in passing value Kelce has provided over Gronk. How many additional rushing yards was Gronk's blocking worth in his career -- Gronk's blocking alone, independent of all other blockers on those rushing plays, independent of the runner's play, independent of the quality of the opposing defense, independent of the playcalling. How many pressures on the QB were saved by Gronk's blocking alone, and how many completions, yards, 1Ds, TDs, did that enable?

I also want to point out, as of today, Kelce has only played in 17 more games (regular and postseason combined) than Gronk. That is probably a lower delta than many realize.

Last edited:

Exactly.

Gronk even blocked on extra points.

Easier to last longer when you are basically a WR.

Users who are viewing this thread