What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Devin Funchess, Lions (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Bob McGinn spoke with multiple scouts who do not think Michigan's Devin Funchess can play TE.
"He's a wide receiver," one scout said. "He's not physical enough as an inside blocker." Another scout added "He won't block. He's got good hands but he drops balls. He can't play tight end." There has been a constant debate on if Funchess will play tight end or wide receiver. It is a bit of semantics from an evaluation perspective, but will obviously matter in terms of a second contract. We just do not see Funchess playing inline in any formation, so that makes him a boundary or slot receiver.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Feb 24 - 12:12 PM
Aaron Hernandez:

Pro Day

Dates: 03/17/10

Height: 6023

Weight: 245

40 Yrd Dash: 4.64

20 Yrd Dash: 2.71

10 Yrd Dash: 1.65

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30

Vertical Jump: 33

Broad Jump: 09'03"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18

3-Cone Drill: 6.83

Funchess is 2 inches taller and weighs 13 lbs. less than Hernandez but is a better overall athlete. He, like L. Green, needs to get much stronger to play TE in the NFL but he can do it if he wants.

I don't see him being as successful on the outside and believe his speed is 4.6 at best.

Rotoworld:

Bob McGinn spoke with multiple scouts who do not think Michigan's Devin Funchess can play TE.
"He's a wide receiver," one scout said. "He's not physical enough as an inside blocker." Another scout added "He won't block. He's got good hands but he drops balls. He can't play tight end." There has been a constant debate on if Funchess will play tight end or wide receiver. It is a bit of semantics from an evaluation perspective, but will obviously matter in terms of a second contract. We just do not see Funchess playing inline in any formation, so that makes him a boundary or slot receiver.

Aaron Hernandez:

Pro Day

Funchess is 2 inches taller and weighs 13 lbs. less than Hernandez but is a better overall athlete. He, like L. Green, needs to get much stronger to play TE in the NFL but he can do it if he wants.

I don't see him being as successful on the outside and believe his speed is 4.6 at best.
He's much faster than Hernandez on the field. He's a 4.50 at best and 4.55 at worst.

Rotoworld:

Aaron Hernandez:

Pro Day

He's much faster than Hernandez on the field. He's a 4.50 at best and 4.55 at worst.
Plus he hasn't killed anyone yet.

Rotoworld:

Aaron Hernandez:

Pro Day

If he kills less people then Hernandez he may be just as successful on the field.

I certainly agree that he's faster on the field than he tested at the combine but I feel like it's due to his flexibility rather than having true 4.5 straight line speed. I'll be surprised if he's posts a sub 4.6 40 at his Pro Day.

I certainly agree that he's faster on the field than he tested at the combine but I feel like it's due to his flexibility rather than having true 4.5 straight line speed. I'll be surprised if he's posts a sub 4.6 40 at his Pro Day.
He actually ran a 4.63 on his best run with a 1.67 10-yard. So if he can cut his 10-yard to 1.60, he'll be under 4.60 easily. His form was just totally bad throughout the run.

Regardless, I already know what he's capable of on the field. I measured him covering the first 10 yards on a vertical route from a 2-point stance at 1.57 seconds. If we use the 10-40 segment of his best combine run, his 40 cones out to 4.53. And I feel he could run a bit faster than that since his top end form was horrible.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper believes Michigan WR Devin Funchess "could land in Round 2 but is certainly going to be in the discussion for a few teams in Round 1."
"It just depends on how the board lines up," Kiper wrote. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn recently spoke with multiple scouts who do not view Funchess as a TE, and it's hard to blame them. "He's a wide receiver," one scout said. "He's not physical enough as an inside blocker." The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Funchess, who has long arms (33 1/2") and big mitts (9 3/4"), ran a pair of 4.70s in the forty-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Source: ESPN Insider
Mar 1 - 6:09 PM

Rotoworld:

The Saints could target Michigan WR/TE Devin Funchess in the second round (44th overall).

On Funchess' best days, one sees a smaller, less athletically gifted version of Graham. On his worst days, he disappears. Like Graham, Funchess is comfortable lining up outside. Also like Graham, he'd rather chew glass in a tub full of razors than block. "[Funchess] often had success while in the slot," noted College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. "And when he was in the slot, he obviously was a mismatch nightmare for opposing defenses. There's some definite upside with Funchess, and he would be an interesting fit for the Saints with their second-round pick."

Source: NFL.com
Mar 11 - 10:26 AM

Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess recorded forty times in the 4.53 range at his pro day, according to Tony Pauline.
Funchess ran an "official" 4.70 forty at the Combine, so the results for today's workout is very different. there is a long debate on the merit of pro day results, and while some schools do have fast tracks, others are closer to legitimate. This is why teams use their own hand times at every event. The floor for Funchess' projection is the second-round.

Source: Walter Football
Mar 12 - 1:22 PM

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Saints take this guy and have all of his negative value before the draft completely about face.

Xue said:
Devin Funchess vs Phillip Dorsett, Deep Dig route. Just from this clip, can you tell which guy is a 4.3 vs 4.7? http://gfycat.com/InsidiousMisguidedBoa
Well no, the clip is just showing them in their break. Dorsett is not a good route runner. Supposedly he looked better at the Sr. Bowl but I'm skeptical. This clip shows some of his major flaws. Gets high Before his break giving away a move, opens his shoulders and doesn't sink his hips to create balance and urgency. I've said it before, Dorsette is a slightly better version of T. Benjamin. Then again I said that prior to the Sr. Bowl where he was reportedly more impressive on routes.

After watching more of his games I'm going on the record to state that Funchess will be a bust, not due to his speed but because he can't catch.

Xue said:
Can you tell the 4.70 guy from the 4.35 guy?http://gfycat.com/ActiveIdolizedHarpyeagle
Looks like Cooper Is a full stride ahead of Funchess by the end of the route and gets better depth on his break.
Can you define "full stride" and "better depth"?
He's about a leg-length ahead and makes his break about a yard or 2 deeper. It's hard to say exactly based on the video but he for sure looks to break deeper down field. They look synchronized but Cooper is running the route deeper. It would be more pronounced if this was something like a deep comeback where depth is more crucial. Some guys just can't run a deep comeback to the full 15 Yd target and break them earlier, say 12 or 11 yds. I'm not saying Funchess is one of those guys. Just using it for perspective. I generally like Funchess routes. It's a strength.Edit. Watching it again, not on iPad. Gap isn't as bad as I thought. Maybe half a yd. copper makes a sharper cut, though and is working into the middle at a harder angle. Cooper also takes a bit of a false step back at the snap. Not sure if that's a usual thing or not. Hadn't noticed it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Devin Funchess - WR - Wolverines

Michigan WR Devin Funchess "looked good catching the ball" at his pro day and his "route running was improved," according to TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

Funchess recorded a cool 4.53 forty at the event. Though Pauline complimented his route running, the analyst added that it "still needs a bit of work." Vikings' general manager Rick Spielman was amongst those in attendance. A mismatch nightmare such as Funchess would look good across from new acquisition Mike Wallace.

Source: Walter Football

Mar 15 - 7:56 PM

Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess has "mismatch-caliber size, but lack of vertical talent and below-average hands might negate the size to an extent," according to NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.
Funchess checks in as Zierlein's No. 3 tight end. As Zierlein notes on his evaluation, however, Funchess' designated position is little more than a label. "Funchess was used outside and inside at Michigan and had success from the slot," Zierlein wrote. "He has the feel of a hybrid player who can be a big guy at wide receiver or a mismatch nightmare as a move tight end with more weight on his rangy frame." The analyst compares Funchess to Gavin Escobar.

Source: NFL.com
Mar 20 - 4:46 PM

I don't see anyway he stays at WR. Guy is an absolute ogre out there and I would love to have him in the RZ package of my favorite team.

Looks like a goon catching the ball but for his size, he's got some moves. Get him on some LBs and he can produce. Utilize him like you would Julius Thomas.

Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess ranked as the No. 11 receiver in the class, per Football Outsiders' Playmaker Score.

The system offered Brian Hartline and Greg Little as similar historical prospects. "Funchess drops lower on this list because of his low touchdown rate; he has never scored more than six touchdowns in a single season," wrote FO's Nathan Forster. "Since 2000, only three junior wide receivers have been drafted in the top 100 picks despite never topping 750 yards or six touchdowns in a college season: Hartline, Little, and Yamon Figurs." To put the poor ranking in perspective, Scouts Inc. ranks Funchess as the No. 35 overall prospect.

Mar 30 - 10:15 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis envisions Michigan WR Devin Funchess "as a big slot, Jordan Matthews type," at the next level.
The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Funchess has ideal TE size for the NFL, but could be more effective moved out to the slot as a hybrid-type pass catcher. Funchess shows effort as a blocker, but really doesn't bring the required physicality to table, to consistently win on the inside. The Michigan prospect offers a unique skill-set and could be utilized down by the red zone, where he's a matchup nightmare against linebackers and smaller defensive backs.

Source: Charles Davis on Twitter
Apr 2 - 3:35 PM

SI 64: Nos. 34-30: Denzel Perryman, Arik Armstead, Michael Bennett, more

Excerpt:

33. Devin Funchess, WR/TE, MichiganBio: Though the 2015 tight end class is considered to be pretty light after Minnesota's Maxx Williams, Funchess—who's listed as a wide receiver because he moved to that position after the '13 season—could change that as a hybrid player. The NFL has been moving for years to "big receivers" listed as tight ends, and Funchess looks the part in several ways. At either position, he can threaten a defense from the slot to the flex to the seam, but he'll have to play to his size before he can take over the NFL. Finished his collegiate career with 126 catches for 1,715 yards and eight touchdowns.

Strengths: Has a big frame (6'4", 232 pounds) with a freakishly defined upper body and a wide lower base -- looks more like a tight end. Long arms and an impressive catch radius. Displays smooth acceleration off the snap and the ability to get downfield quickly, though he's more of a glider than a burner. Could be a credible weapon everywhere from the slot to outside. Can physically overpower cornerbacks at times—if you're going to play press against him, you'd better mean it. Consistency will likely be helped greatly by a more consistent quarterback situation in the NFL. Reasonable consistency on short and intermediate crossing routes with room for improvement.

Weaknesses: Not as smooth in short spaces, and takes too long to transition when working angles as a receiver or as a blocker. Very inconsistent hands and tracking ability—tends to wait too long to bring the ball in, and loses yards-after-catch advantage his size should give him because he fails to accelerate to the ball. Should be a more imposing blocker at his size. Surprisingly inconsistent when asked to high-point the ball; again, he should be better at this given his size. Overall, Funchess needs to streamline his attributes and take better advantage of his physical gifts. NFL team may rate him as a hybrid tight end.

Conclusion: While Funchess will appeal to NFL teams with his size and physical play, he's got undeniable limitations he may not be able to get past. He's a very uncoordinated player at times, and that will show up more in the pros, where the windows to get and stay open are smaller and close more quickly. He may be best utilized as a slot and flex weapon at the start of his NFL career while he figures the rest of his required skill set out, but Funchess really doesn't project as an outside deep receiver at the next level in any way but sheer size and raw physical ability.

Pro Comparison: Kelvin Benjamin, Panthers (1st round, 2014)

Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess' 2014 drop rate was 8.8%, with six drops on 68 catchable targets.

"Funchess had six drops this year and was the primary target on four interceptions, one of which (against Utah) was entirely his fault as he made a lazy one-handed attempt to pull in a pass over the middle rather than extend for it," Gordon McGuinness writes. PFF and other services usually side with the receiver in "drop" scenarios. 8.8 is just worse than average, but we would say it is an area that needs to be worked on for a receiver who should shine in contested catch situations. Funchess can be used like Kelvin Benjamin.

Source: Pro Football Focus
Apr 14 - 10:03 AM

I don't see anyway he stays at WR. Guy is an absolute ogre out there and I would love to have him in the RZ package of my favorite team.

Looks like a goon catching the ball but for his size, he's got some moves. Get him on some LBs and he can produce. Utilize him like you would Julius Thomas.
Take off the fantasy glasses. He can't/won't block. That is why he will be a WR. He is a liability as a real life TE.

Take off the fantasy glasses. He can't/won't block. That is why he will be a WR. He is a liability as a real life TE.
Jimmy Graham can't and wont block, either. Same for Aaron Hernendez.

Not even close to a true statement for Graham and Hernandez benefited from an atypical system/role. If the Patriots draft Funchess, then fine, I declare it moot. But when you see a team like, say, the Texans or Rams or somebody draft him, that's the issue. He will be much more a Kelvin Benjamin WR than he will a Graham TE.

Not even close to a true statement for Graham and Hernandez benefited from an atypical system/role. If the Patriots draft Funchess, then fine, I declare it moot. But when you see a team like, say, the Texans or Rams or somebody draft him, that's the issue. He will be much more a Kelvin Benjamin WR than he will a Graham TE.
You're changing the narrative by making this team specific now. Graham can't block.

Can you tell the 4.70 guy from the 4.35 guy?http://gfycat.com/ActiveIdolizedHarpyeagle
Looks like Cooper Is a full stride ahead of Funchess by the end of the route and gets better depth on his break.
He's about a leg-length ahead and makes his break about a yard or 2 deeper. It's hard to say exactly based on the video but he for sure looks to break deeper down field. They look synchronized but Cooper is running the route deeper. It would be more pronounced if this was something like a deep comeback where depth is more crucial. Some guys just can't run a deep comeback to the full 15 Yd target and break them earlier, say 12 or 11 yds. I'm not saying Funchess is one of those guys. Just using it for perspective. I generally like Funchess routes. It's a strength.Edit. Watching it again, not on iPad. Gap isn't as bad as I thought. Maybe half a yd. copper makes a sharper cut, though and is working into the middle at a harder angle. Cooper also takes a bit of a false step back at the snap. Not sure if that's a usual thing or not. Hadn't noticed it before.
I was going to make a snide remark stating that these guys have about a 5 yard stride, which is quite a difference from the half yard you saw the second time around, accompanied by a link suggesting you look up what a stride is... Either the definition of a stride changed recently, and nobody tole me, or all sorts of websites have it wrong. If you google "how to measure stride", you'll get all sorts of things that don't jive with this: http://www.rivehealth.com/uploads/2/0/0/6/20061171/643915_orig.jpg

Anyway, I think Funchess is going to be a very solid possession WR. He reminds me of a more physical KeShawn, with poorer hands, I suppose. I'll be curious if his hands improve with a QB that doesn't suck.

I was going to make a snide remark stating that these guys have about a 5 yard stride, which is quite a difference from the half yard you saw the second time around, accompanied by a link suggesting you look up what a stride is... Either the definition of a stride changed recently, and nobody tole me, or all sorts of websites have it wrong. If you google "how to measure stride", you'll get all sorts of things that don't jive with this: http://www.rivehealth.com/uploads/2/0/0/6/20061171/643915_orig.jpg

Anyway, I think Funchess is going to be a very solid possession WR. He reminds me of a more physical KeShawn, with poorer hands, I suppose. I'll be curious if his hands improve with a QB that doesn't suck.
If these guys had a 5 yd stride the route would have been completed in 2 strides. It was roughly a 10 yd clip. Yet, I count them each taking 7 steps. There is a difference in running with full stride length or a full sprint, acceleration and running with foot placement to make and prepare for cuts. Some call it running with an open gate and idle down. Call it what you want, all "strides" aren't created equal. They may approach 5yds per stride at full gate but they aren't remotley approaching that here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess is "a tough guy for evaluators to figure out," writes ESPN's Todd McShay.

"Is he a wide receiver? Is he an "F" tight end you move around the formation to create mismatches? He was also up and down at Michigan, making some big plays but also showing frustration with his QB play at times and appearing to be limited by an ankle injury in 2014," McShay wrote. Funchess, who visited the San Francisco 49ers this week, said this about criticism of his effort last year: "I know that I was giving my all for my team, so they can have their opinion, but I know the truth." Funchess improved his forty from 4.7 at the combine to 4.47 at his pro day, answering one big question on his evaluation. "The bottom line is that he's 6-4, 232 pounds, with a 38.5-inch vertical leap and really good body control, so even if you split the difference on his times, he's fast enough to make plays with his size and skill set," McShay wrote. "I think if you're getting him in the mid- to late-second round, you're feeling really good about it."

Apr 14 - 11:08 PM

Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess visited the San Francisco 49ers.

If the 6-foot-4, 232-pound Funchess maximizes his ability, you could be looking at Colin Kaepernick's new best friend. If he doesn't, you're looking at a guy that could be out of the league by the time his rookie contract is over. He was asked at the combine about the perception that he slacked off last season on a mediocre Michigan outfit. "I can’t respond," Funchess said. "That’s their opinion. I know that I was giving my all for my team, so they can have their opinion, but I know the truth." Funchess' 2014 drop rate was 8.8%, with six drops on 68 catchable targets. We like the tools, but cringed at times watching the on-field effort in 2014. To be fair, if he did indeed check out, Funchess would have been far from the only Wolverine that did so.

Source: National Football Post

Apr 14 - 9:29 PM

Devin Funchess' drop rate in his first two seasons combined was 17.9%. He actually got better in his Junior season.

If these guys had a 5 yd stride the route would have been completed in 2 strides. It was roughly a 10 yd clip. Yet, I count them each taking 7 steps.There is a difference in running with full stride length or a full sprint, acceleration and running with foot placement to make and prepare for cuts. Some call it running with an open gate and idle down. Call it what you want, all "strides" aren't created equal. They may approach 5yds per stride at full gate but they aren't remotley approaching that here.
I was talking about once they got into their route, not their first couple steps off the line. Watch again, both guy place their left foot just across the 20. That foot comes down again just inside the 25, thus a nearly 5 yard stride.

Devin Funchess' drop rate in his first two seasons combined was 17.9%. He actually got better in his Junior season.
That's actually fairly impressive since he converted from TE to WR. I would imagine TEs have a lower drop rate in general, due to the more intermediate routes, and lesser skilled coverage they face. (Just a hunch, I have no data to support that.)

Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess "was pushed around more than you would expect for a receiver of his size, but played most of 2014 season on bad ankle he injured in game two against Notre Dame," according to NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.

The injury is important to note, because many are willing to blame all of Funchess' 2014 struggles on poor effort. We tend to see it as a blend of the bum wheel, poor quarterback play, worse offensive scheming and an attitude which may have deteriorated due to the team's struggles. "Funchess is a matchup nightmare. He is a former high school basketball player who uses his big body to post up smaller defenders as a great possession receiver," Cooney wrote. "He played with more aggression, confidence and quickness before injury in week two last year, but showed moxie playing hurt the whole season." Regarding effort, Funchess responded: "I know that I was giving my all for my team, so they can have their opinion, but I know the truth."

Source: CBS Sports

Apr 18 - 10:13 PM

Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess "could be a dominant 'move' tight end on the next level," writes CBS Sports' Pete Prisco.

"He isn't explosive as a receiver," wrote Prisco. "But he could create real matchup problems as a tight end." Funchess posted a 8.8% drop rate in 2014, with six drops on 68 catchable targets. The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Funchess (38.5-inch vertical leap) ran a 4.47 forty at his pro day.

Source: CBS Sports

Apr 23 - 4:44 PM

Rotoworld:

Per Mike Renner, Pro Football Focus believes Michigan WR Devin Funchess possesses "neither the radical size advantage to outmuscle corners nor the quickness to consistently beat linebackers."

"To top it off, he showed very little promise as a run-blocker," Renner wrote. "This means Funchess is likely limited to a 'big slot' role like Marques Colston. However, playing the slot requires a certain level of consistency that Funchess simply doesn't possess yet, and he'll have to improve in that area." The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Funchess (38.5-inch vertical leap), who ran a 4.47 forty at his pro day, had a poor 8.8 percent drop rate (8.3 percent was the NCAA average) and wasn't nearly as good as you'd expect in contested situations.

Source: ESPN.com

Apr 26 - 10:25 PM

Users who are viewing this thread