What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Devin Funchess, Lions (3 Viewers)

These are the only WRs 6'4"+ 220lbs+, who turned 21 before the end if their Rookie seasons, ever drafted. All in the top 10.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7DLJ9DCcAAPJNe.png

Funchess is the only WR in the draft that fits this size/age profile. On paper, he's closer to Mike Evans than to Kevin Benjamin, as I project him to put up similar or better Combine numbers.
Apologize for my density, but what deductions are we making from this?
I think people are overlooking the fact that Funchess is so young. He's almost 2 years younger than Benjamin was as a draftee. I think its fair to think, because he is so young, we haven't seen the best of him compared to other prospects who are a bit older. And that he could develop tremendously within a year or two in the NFL. Entering the NFL at his age can only accelerate growth.

In comparison, consider that Kevin White is 2 years older than Funchess. What did White look like at age 20? Look what he has become.

Draftniks are down on him because they're looking at the wrong things. As a Fantasy guy, I look at Funchess as having as much upside as any WR in this class and I wouldn't let him fall very far.

These are the only WRs 6'4"+ 220lbs+, who turned 21 before the end if their Rookie seasons, ever drafted. All in the top 10.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7DLJ9DCcAAPJNe.png

Funchess is the only WR in the draft that fits this size/age profile. On paper, he's closer to Mike Evans than to Kevin Benjamin, as I project him to put up similar or better Combine numbers.
I think people are overlooking the fact that Funchess is so young. He's almost 2 years younger than Benjamin was as a draftee. I think its fair to think, because he is so young, we haven't seen the best of him compared to other prospects who are a bit older. And that he could develop tremendously within a year or two in the NFL. Entering the NFL at his age can only accelerate growth.

In comparison, consider that Kevin White is 2 years older than Funchess. What did White look like at age 20? Look what he has become.

Draftniks are down on him because they're looking at the wrong things. As a Fantasy guy, I look at Funchess as having as much upside as any WR in this class and I wouldn't let him fall very far.
I don't know what draftniks think of him, but anyone who is down on him is down on him because what he has done on the field,He could have made this easy, returned, dominated, and gone top ten, but instead of betting on himself he is taking what he can get. The picture you're painting is that he will hit his upside, which is enormous. You seem to be completely dismissing the down side, which is why more are not higher on him.

Physical tools don't mean #### if you dont do it on the field. Funchess, go do it on the field.

These are the only WRs 6'4"+ 220lbs+, who turned 21 before the end if their Rookie seasons, ever drafted. All in the top 10.

The player you think is most overrated in this year's draft?

Mister CIA said:
Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:

I think people are overlooking the fact that Funchess is so young. He's almost 2 years younger than Benjamin was as a draftee. I think its fair to think, because he is so young, we haven't seen the best of him compared to other prospects who are a bit older. And that he could develop tremendously within a year or two in the NFL. Entering the NFL at his age can only accelerate growth.In comparison, consider that Kevin White is 2 years older than Funchess. What did White look like at age 20? Look what he has become.

The player you think is most overrated in this year's draft?
Age (in relation to his production) is one of the very reasons why White is overrated.

The point I'm making is that I'm optimistic about Funchess because he's only 20. If he were already 22 with the same production, I'd be more concerned. I'd definitely drop him down to a 3rd/4th rounder (real NFL draft), like a Martavis Bryant or something.

MAC_32 said:
Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:
These are the only WRs 6'4"+ 220lbs+, who turned 21 before the end if their Rookie seasons, ever drafted. All in the top 10.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7DLJ9DCcAAPJNe.png

I think people are overlooking the fact that Funchess is so young. He's almost 2 years younger than Benjamin was as a draftee. I think its fair to think, because he is so young, we haven't seen the best of him compared to other prospects who are a bit older. And that he could develop tremendously within a year or two in the NFL. Entering the NFL at his age can only accelerate growth.In comparison, consider that Kevin White is 2 years older than Funchess. What did White look like at age 20? Look what he has become.

I don't know what draftniks think of him, but anyone who is down on him is down on him because what he has done on the field,He could have made this easy, returned, dominated, and gone top ten, but instead of betting on himself he is taking what he can get. The picture you're painting is that he will hit his upside, which is enormous. You seem to be completely dismissing the down side, which is why more are not higher on him.

Physical tools don't mean #### if you dont do it on the field. Funchess, go do it on the field.
And people are dismissing the upside. They're comparing him to Ebron/Cook/Graham, when he's nowhere close to them in size and movement skills. They're also ignoring his age.

I never said he will hit his upside. I said he has as much upside as any WR in this draft.

Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:

Yes, he's young but only a year younger than Jonathan Baldwin was as a rookie.

MAC_32 said:
Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:

And people are dismissing the upside. They're comparing him to Ebron/Cook/Graham, when he's nowhere close to them in size and movement skills. They're also ignoring his age.

I never said he will hit his upside. I said he has as much upside as any WR in this draft.
Uhh... Huh?

I can understand some criticism for his hands, and maybe a bit for speed, but he's VERY athletic.

MAC_32 said:
Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:

Uhh... Huh?

I can understand some criticism for his hands, and maybe a bit for speed, but he's VERY athletic.
It was compliment. He's more athletic and more fluid than Ebron and Cook. He's way lighter than Graham. Overall he moves much more like a WR than Ebron, Cook, and Graham do.

Last edited by a moderator:
MAC_32 said:
Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:

Uhh... Huh?

It was compliment. He's more athletic and more fluid than Ebron and Cook. He's way lighter than Graham. Overall he moves much more like a WR than Ebron, Cook, and Graham do.
Oh, Ok. I read that as being way behind those guys.

Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:

I don't think the core nature of players change that greatly. So Funchess being a passive/meek player despite having considerable physical gifts isn't going to magically flip to him being aggressive just because he gets a few years older. Players can get more physically mature and refine their game, but I think it is a stretch to say that Funchess can fundamentally change his game just because he is a year or two younger than some of his draft peers.

MAC_32 said:
Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:

Uhh... Huh?

Cook was an all-time freak 4.5 at 6'5" 246, 41" vert, 23 reps w 35 3/4" arms. I wouldn't say Funchess is more athletic than Cook. Few are.

MAC_32 said:
Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:

And people are dismissing the upside. They're comparing him to Ebron/Cook/Graham, when he's nowhere close to them in size and movement skills. They're also ignoring his age.I never said he will hit his upside. I said he has as much upside as any WR in this draft.
Uhh... Huh?

Cook was an all-time freak 4.5 at 6'5" 246, 41" vert, 23 reps w 35 3/4" arms. I wouldn't say Funchess is more athletic than Cook. Few are.
Yet Cook is so stiff on the field. Having better workout numbers doesn't make you "more athletic". Actually being more athletic on the field does.

I guess Jerick McKinnon is more athletic than Adrian Peterson since he has better workout numbers.

MAC_32 said:
Xue said:
JackReacher said:
Xue said:

And people are dismissing the upside. They're comparing him to Ebron/Cook/Graham, when he's nowhere close to them in size and movement skills. They're also ignoring his age.I never said he will hit his upside. I said he has as much upside as any WR in this draft.
Uhh... Huh?

Yet Cook is so stiff on the field. Having better workout numbers doesn't make you "more athletic". Actually being more athletic on the field does.

I guess Jerick McKinnon is more athletic than Adrian Peterson since he has better workout numbers.
fluid vs stiff is just one aspect of athleticism. Cook's explosiveness was off the charts, and you also have the denominator of his size when you project impact/advantage.

Uhh... Huh?

Yet Cook is so stiff on the field. Having better workout numbers doesn't make you "more athletic". Actually being more athletic on the field does.I guess Jerick McKinnon is more athletic than Adrian Peterson since he has better workout numbers.
fluid vs stiff is just one aspect of athleticism. Cook's explosiveness was off the charts, and you also have the denominator of his size when you project impact/advantage.
Yes, which is why he's not a better athlete. Funchess is a better athlete because he can do more things with his body outside of running in a straight line or jumping. Cook had a 4.56 Shuttle and 7.26 3-cone. Those are not marks I consider to be "athletic".

Michigan wr's typically bust. Aside form Braylon Edwards I can't think of many who had much impact (Howard had a great SB as a returner). Maybe Funchess bucks this trend, wouldn't bet on it.

Devin Funchess fakes the Out, goes up. Open for big play. Watch the smoothness. Alshon Jeffery-esque. http://gfycat.com/DamagedYellowCoypu

This guy is definitely a TE. LOL. He's playing WR and running WR routes better then most WRs. Pretty impressive for his first year at the position. Tell me the logic in saying he's a TE.

Devin Funchess fakes the Out, goes up. Open for big play. Watch the smoothness. Alshon Jeffery-esque. http://gfycat.com/DamagedYellowCoypu

This guy is definitely a TE. LOL. He's playing WR and running WR routes better then most WRs. Pretty impressive for his first year at the position. Tell me the logic in saying he's a TE.
:shrug: does it matter whether he's a TE or WR? Dude's a baller.

I saw something on the internet why it may matter how he is classified (either TE or WR) to teams because when his rookie deal is done, TEs get paid less and to franchise him as a TE costs less. Think the Jimmy Graham episode when he renegotiated.

Green is more upright and wasn't as polished in his routes. But on paper they both should be similar.

Being a UM fan and having watched Funchess a lot... this article is pretty spot on with the weaknesses. He does have great speed for his size. Catch radius is excellent. But has a case of the dropsies, is a bit undersized for a TE who will be expected to go over the middle, and not the best blocker. Has a lot of potential, but will definitely need to soak up all the info and project it in practice if he's going to produce.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock believes Michigan WR Devin Funchess will run a better 40-yard dash than Kelvin Benjamin's 4.61 at last year's combine.

The analyst also believes Funchess will show better movement skills than Benjamin, but added that Funchess probably won't be drafted higher than where Benjamin was taken (No. 28 overall). The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Funchess has great short area run after catch ability for a player his size. He's been compared to Benjamin by many, including us. Besting Benjamin's testing numbers is Funchess' best chance to earn a late Round 1 call.

Source: NFL.com
Feb 17 - 12:30 AM

His Instagram has a clip of him touching a basketball rim with his head. Probably has a legit 38 inch vert from a standing position

Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess ran a pair of 4.70s in the forty-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.
These disappointing times bring about a series of questions, namely: What position will Funchess play in the pros? He blocks like a piece of Scotch tape on a Hoover Dam crack, and he runs like what he should be, an athletic tight end, and not a dynamic perimeter threat. The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Funchess, who has long arms (33 1/2") and big mitts (9 3/4"), may have tumbled into the second round today.

Feb 21 - 9:16 PM

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]In a devy league, [/SIZE]I was able to swap Yeldon for him due to his slow 40. It was a disappointing time, but I do not think that it is that big of a deal. His jumps at that size is just as impressive as his 40 was unimpressive.

Rotoworld:

Michigan WR Devin Funchess ran a pair of 4.70s in the forty-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.
These disappointing times bring about a series of questions, namely: What position will Funchess play in the pros? He blocks like a piece of Scotch tape on a Hoover Dam crack, and he runs like what he should be, an athletic tight end, and not a dynamic perimeter threat. The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Funchess, who has long arms (33 1/2") and big mitts (9 3/4"), may have tumbled into the second round today.

He's a shorter, slower Ladarius Green with better open field moves.

Green:

Height: 6056

Weight: 238

40 Yrd Dash: 4.45

20 Yrd Dash: 2.58

10 Yrd Dash: 1.53

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16

Vertical Jump: 34 1/2

Broad Jump: 10'04"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47

3-Cone Drill: 7.12

Funchess:

Height: 6042

Weight: 232

40 Yrd Dash: 4.70

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17

Vertical Jump: 38 1/2

Broad Jump: 10'02"

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

Rotoworld:

He's a shorter, slower Ladarius Green with better open field moves.

Green:

Height: 6056

Weight: 238

40 Yrd Dash: 4.45

20 Yrd Dash: 2.58

10 Yrd Dash: 1.53

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16

Vertical Jump: 34 1/2

Broad Jump: 10'04"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47

3-Cone Drill: 7.12

Funchess:

Height: 6042

Weight: 232

40 Yrd Dash: 4.70

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17

Vertical Jump: 38 1/2

Broad Jump: 10'02"

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:
Darren Waller is more like Green on paper and on the field.

I'm JAG, but I got to see the combine in person yesterday. I think Funchess looked right at home with the other guys there outside of Cooper in his group.

I think he becomes a good to very good WR. I think he'd be a dominant move-TE. Either way, I thought he looked great yesterday!

Rough transcript of NFL film's Greg Cosell and his quick take on Funchess.

Cosell can't seem to figure him out yet and what position he easily fits into at the NFL level.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Cosell-Lists-Draft-Prospects-That-Fit-Browns/01cea104-c599-40db-8c19-01e181a3ba68?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

-- Rough transcript of an audio interview where Cosell broke down some of the projected first round WRs---

"... I'm trying to figure out how I feel about him. I find sometimes bigger receivers tougher to evaluate because size does mean something ya know and he's a big kid. Uh he's not a plodding kid, he's not fluid and fast, but he's not a plodding kid. So I'm trying to figure out exactly what he is in the NFL.

Uh eh er for those who really like him and that's what I'm asking a lot of people and I haven't gotten a great answer yet. For those who really like him. How do they see him? How is he used? I mean is he a big slot? Can you line him up on the outside? Can he win isolation routes on the outside?

Ah ah I'm not exactly sure how I see Devin Funchess and what he is."

I liked Funchess a lot in college but can someone make a strong case as to why he's much better than Mike Williams (USC/Lions)?

I'll be cheering for him while staying away.

I liked Funchess a lot in college but can someone make a strong case as to why he's much better than Mike Williams (USC/Lions)?

I'll be cheering for him while staying away.
Mike got overweight and played more upright. Funchess is really cut and plays less upright.

How does a 4.70 WR beat a 4.31 CB? http://gfycat.com/PleasingWetIberianemeraldlizard

Also, compare how much quicker Funchess is off the line compared to his teammate #86 Jehu Chesson, who is listed at 207 lbs.

Here is Funchess again vs Waynes: http://gfycat.com/EvenTiredKrill

Compare him to his teammate at the bottom.
These plays aren't showing what you think they are. The DB wins in clip one because he squares off Funchess so much to the point that he gets a clean hand on him and disrupts the route enough to break the timing, hence the ball being out of his reach.

The second clip has the bottom WR redirect shortly after the snap because of the LB rolling to his side and into his path while Funchess is allowed a totally clean release.

How does a 4.70 WR beat a 4.31 CB? http://gfycat.com/PleasingWetIberianemeraldlizard

Also, compare how much quicker Funchess is off the line compared to his teammate #86 Jehu Chesson, who is listed at 207 lbs.

These plays aren't showing what you think they are.The DB wins in clip one because he squares off Funchess so much to the point that he gets a clean hand on him and disrupts the route enough to break the timing, hence the ball being out of his reach.

The second clip has the bottom WR redirect shortly after the snap because of the LB rolling to his side and into his path while Funchess is allowed a totally clean release.
I don't think you understand how much a of a difference a 4.7 and 4.3 player is. The ball is out of reach because Devin Gardner is the QB.

Yes he is redirected, but he isn't clearly faster than Funchess.

What is it that you think that I think they are showing? And what does it show you?

These plays aren't showing what you think they are.The DB wins in clip one because he squares off Funchess so much to the point that he gets a clean hand on him and disrupts the route enough to break the timing, hence the ball being out of his reach.

I don't think you understand how much a of a difference a 4.7 and 4.3 player is. The ball is out of reach because Devin Gardner is the QB.

What is it that you think they are showing? And what does it show you?
You said a 4.70 guy beat a 4.3 guy. He didn't beat him. The CB did his job and accomplished his goal. The primary goal of press coverage is to redirect and disrupt timing. He did exactly that and it lead to an incompletion. It couldnt be any further from being beat. Yes, he is clearly faster than Funchess. He redirects Funchess, then baseball turns and still recovers and is closing on him.

You said a 4.70 guy beat a 4.3 guy. He didn't beat him. The CB did his job and accomplished his goal. The primary goal of press coverage is to redirect and disrupt timing. He did exactly that and it lead to an incompletion. It couldnt be any further from being beat.Yes, he is clearly faster than Funchess. He redirects Funchess, then baseball turns and still recovers and is closing on him.
How many 4.70 guys can move like this and create the space Funchess did?

I'm talking about the second clip. His teammate isn't clearly faster than Funchess. His teammate is 212 lbs and probably runs a 4.50-4.55. I would expect a 4.70 guy would show more sluggishness.

You said a 4.70 guy beat a 4.3 guy. He didn't beat him. The CB did his job and accomplished his goal. The primary goal of press coverage is to redirect and disrupt timing. He did exactly that and it lead to an incompletion. It couldnt be any further from being beat.Yes, he is clearly faster than Funchess. He redirects Funchess, then baseball turns and still recovers and is closing on him.
I'm talking about the second clip. His teammate isn't clearly faster than Funchess. His teammate is 212 lbs and probably runs a 4.50-4.55. I would expect a 4.70 guy would show more sluggishness.
The bottom WR doesn't look like he's running full speed to me. He sees the LB step into his path and never gears up because of it. Maybe Funchess plays faster than this guy regularly. That very well may be the case. I don't recall them having any good WRs other than Funchess. I just don't think this play is a very good example of it. Funchess is totally unimpeded while the other WR gets an obstacle. If the top LB steps out towards the sideline instead of holding we are talking apples to apples. Then again, I don't know if the other WR is a 4.4 guy or 4.7 guy. That's doesn't seem like the most critical aspect of the comparison in this play to me.

How many 4.70 guys can move like this and create the space Funchess did?
Just saw this edit. I don't see this as Funchess creating separation. I see it as a byproduct of the CB making an aggressive move and jab towards the LOS to disrupt his route. When the CB attacks forward like this there is naturally going to b a recoil. He could just sit on his position and let Funchess run into him and play his upfield shoulder. We've seen how that works out based on other clips you've provided, though. Funchess has shown on film that he can muscle thru CBs who do this and box him out because of his massive frame. So, I'm guessing the CB decided that he would take the attack to Funchess knowing he has the speed to recover. That's the reason the CB knows to automatically recover with his baseball turn. If anything, this clip is giving me more respect for the technique and athleticism for the CB.

Not sure why the edit function isn't working, but more on that CB technique because I'm pretty I pressed.

Not only does he create great contact and disrupt the route, but he also get ideal hand placement. He lands his punch on the shoulder of the direction in which Funchass wants to go. Simple beautiful to watch if you appreciate DB play.

Finally got around to dissecting some footage. I feel very confident in saying Funchess is a lot faster than 4.70, and that his true speed is closer to 4.50-4.53. Don't believe everything you hear and see.

If you can get Funchess on the cheap before everyone finds out, do it now.

Rotoworld:

Bob McGinn spoke with multiple scouts who do not think Michigan's Devin Funchess can play TE.
"He's a wide receiver," one scout said. "He's not physical enough as an inside blocker." Another scout added "He won't block. He's got good hands but he drops balls. He can't play tight end." There has been a constant debate on if Funchess will play tight end or wide receiver. It is a bit of semantics from an evaluation perspective, but will obviously matter in terms of a second contract. We just do not see Funchess playing inline in any formation, so that makes him a boundary or slot receiver.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Feb 24 - 12:12 PM

Users who are viewing this thread