What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE David Njoku, CLE (3 Viewers)

Miami TE David Njoku worked out for the Panthers on Tuesday.

There's a little smoke to this one, as Carolina previously hosted Njoku for an official pre-Draft visit. The Panthers would like to add a tight end to give Cam Newton another big target, potentially run more 12 personnel, and identify Greg Olsen's long-term replacement. The Panthers own the No. 8 pick. Njoku will likely go in the top-20.

Source: NBC's Pro Football Talk 
Apr 4 - 2:40 PM

Giants beat writer Jordan Raanan would be "surprised" if Miami TE David Njoku is the team's pick at No. 23.
This surprises us a bit, as he'd be a great fit for the Giants and the team has a need at the position. However, the team has not prioritized the position in previous drafts, so a jump from third day picks to a first round valuation is quite a leap. The Giants spent a sixth round pick on a tight end in 2016, and a fourth round pick in 2012. Expect them to add another this year.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

There is a lot of depth at the TE position and they could be factoring that into their decision as well.

The scheme McDoo runs uses a lot of 3 WR and I think in part because of that, asks the TE to block a lot. They may prefer one of the other TE who they grade higher as a blocker and can be had in the 2nd or later rounds instead of a TE who likely would compete with Shephard and other slot receivers for looks in the offense.Brandon Marshall brings a strong possession receiver to their team that makes a TE in this role less of a need.

The Giants need offensive linemen and might not be looking at skill players for their first pick at all. QB and RB might be higher priorities than TE if they are.

If the offensive line was more settled then I could see a player like Njoku adding to their offense, but as it is right now, they might prefer a TE who can help their tackles out in pass protection more at a cheaper price.

eta- or maybe they love Nkoku and are just playing it off legit.  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami TE David Njoku visited the Dolphins.
We probably don't have a fit here, both because Miami has bigger needs and because Njoku is highly unlikely to be on the board when they're on the clock at No. 22. We think he's almost assured of going in the top-20.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Apr 12 - 4:56 PM

Pro Football Focus compared Miami TE David Njoku to Washington Redskins TE Jordan Reed.
"Neither player is overly elusive but both are effective with the ball in their hands due to a combination of size, top-end speed and a willingness to punch the defense in the mouth," writes the PFF analysis team. While they are less keen on the athletic dynamo's run-blocking prowess, they do believe that the 6-foot-4, 240-pounder has shown a competency in that department depending on the offensive alignment. Alabama's O.J. Howard is a pretty sure thing to be the top tight end drafted later this month (possibly within the first 10 picks), with Njoku likely to follow before the close of Day 1. The Titans, Panthers and Dolphins are among the teams who have checked in with Njoku in the form of either a visit or a workout.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Apr 15 - 2:20 PM

Miami TE Davis Njoku is visiting the Jets on Monday.

Njoku's visit with the Giants was canceled. This likely counts as a local visit, since Njoku is from the area. The Jets have not had a legitimate inline tight end for some time. Njoku is not an option at No. 6, but many teams will be interested in the teens and twenties.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter 
Apr 17 - 9:10 AM

I really want him as a Steeler, but I bet he goes top 20.  If not, I think the Giants take him (assuming Howard is off the board).

Breaking down Miami TE David Njoku, one NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: "I don’t know how you take an unproductive backup guy from an average team and take him in the first or second round … he’s a track guy but as far as a football player, he is a long ways away."

That scout was lower on Njoku than the others quoted, and Njoku did finish No. 2 behind O.J. Howard in the Sentinel's poll regarding the top TE in the class. "Lot of wow plays," said a second scout. "An athletic freak." Said a third scout: "Gonna be a star. He’s better RAC (run after the catch) than O.J. Howard. O.J.’s better, but this kid has up side." The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Njoku, a high jumper in high school, tore up the NFL Combine. "He’s a beautiful looking thing," a fourth scout said. "His broad jump (11-1) and vertical jump (37 ½) were out of this world. Very explosive linear but when he runs he’s kind of stiff upper body. Little herky-jerky. Last year he had a lot of drops; this year he cleaned up his hands a little bit. He needs a boot up his (expletive) but he’s got a lot of ability. His blocking is OK."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel 
Apr 23 - 3:34 PM

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values Round 1

Excerpt:

Cleveland Browns: David Njoku, TE – We only care about Fantasy here, so we’re not to concerned with Njoku lacking in pass blocking. Njoku has a terrific build and the speed to create matchup problems, as linebackers struggle to keep up. He made big plays at Miami and makes tough catches, thanks in part to his large hands. The Browns have quarterback questions and Gary Barnidge still in the mix, but Njoku is looks to have TE1 potential in year two.

Browns traded up with the Packers to select Miami TE David Njoku at the No. 29 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.
Green Bay received the Nos. 33 and 108 overall picks. Njoku (6’4/246) lasted two years at Miami before going pro, logging a 64-1,060-9 (16.6 YPR) receiving line and averaging 11.2 yards after the catch. Even at the ripe ages of 19 and 20, Njoku was a man amongst boys in the ACC. He logged playing time as an in-line tight end and showed a competitive willingness to tangle with much bigger defensive linemen. Njoku isn’t an O.J. Howard-caliber blocker, but he is functional in that area and is certain to cause passing-game mismatches as a 93rd-percentile athlete with LeBronian length (35 ¼-inch arms, 82 ½-inch wingspan). While Howard has the highest floor in this year’s tight end class, Njoku offers the highest pass-catching ceiling. Njoku should see the field early in two-tight end sets across from Gary Barnidge.

Greg Cosell Says With Garrett/Peppers, Browns “Building A Defense With Something You Can’t Coach, That’s Speed”

Greg Cosell of NFL Films and NFL Matchup joined Bull & Fox to talk about the Browns’ draft performance led by Myles Garrett, how Jabrill Peppers will fit into Gregg Williams’ system, why he’s fascinated by David Njoku’s film, DeShone Kizer’s upside and what it will take for him to reach his ceiling, what the tape says about Brock Osweiler and his best running back and wide receiver from this past draft.

As an NFL fan, I love what the Browns are doing and Njoku is going to be a big part of that offense going forward if he hits.  As a Steelers fan I hate it because that is usually 2 easy wins for the year.  They seem to be doing things right, at least for the time being, and Njoku is a threat that HAS to be accounted for.  That offense is about to be scary if they get a QB. Coleman, Njoku, Crowell maybe another guy next year as well, it's filling out nicely (for a Browns fan).  

Just to address a fallacy.

Some are timid about Njoku's potential with the reasoning that Cleveland doesn't have a QB.

Remember that Josh Gordon and Gary Barnidge and Terrelle Pryor and Jordan Cameron did not have great QB play with the Browns so ask this telling question w/Njoku.

How did the lack of great QB play effect recent receiver production in Cleveland?

If you are high on WR Corey Coleman and think that their isn't enough to go around remember that Gordon and Jordan Cameron both produced solid numbers in the same year with poor QB play.  If you think that Cameron was the only TE to produce solid numbers, recall that Barnidge produced solid numbers with poor QB play.

If Njoku steps up into his talent then poor QB play should not prevent him from producing solid numbers. 

Njoku is only 20 and his body is still growing.  He is dripping with natural talent.  Whatever he does this year 'should' only be a stepping stone to larger numbers down the line if you believe in his talent.

Bracie Smathers said:
Just to address a fallacy.

Some are timid about Njoku's potential with the reasoning that Cleveland doesn't have a QB.

Remember that Josh Gordon and Gary Barnidge and Terrelle Pryor and Jordan Cameron did not have great QB play with the Browns so ask this telling question w/Njoku.

How did the lack of great QB play effect recent receiver production in Cleveland?

If you are high on WR Corey Coleman and think that their isn't enough to go around remember that Gordon and Jordan Cameron both produced solid numbers in the same year with poor QB play.  If you think that Cameron was the only TE to produce solid numbers, recall that Barnidge produced solid numbers with poor QB play.

If Njoku steps up into his talent then poor QB play should not prevent him from producing solid numbers. 

Njoku is only 20 and his body is still growing.  He is dripping with natural talent.  Whatever he does this year 'should' only be a stepping stone to larger numbers down the line if you believe in his talent.
I think Hue Jackson prefers a balanced offense so some of the high volume pass attempts that contributed to some amazing numbers for Browns receivers not necessarily there, good red zone opportunities for the TE similar to Eifert with the Bengals and if Njoku can stay healthy more than Eifert has (not hard) he might be more involved between the 20s as well.

I really like Kizer and I think that is the first time I can recall saying that about a Browns QB. The QB play may not be poor for long.

Hue Jacksons offenses where he was the HC or OC

2003  Redskins 991 offensive plays 527 pass attempts 421 rushing attempts
2007  Falcons 987 offensive plays 555 pass attempts 385 rushing attempts
2010 Raiders 1039 offensive plays 491 pass attempts 504 rushing attempts
2011 Raiders 1015 offensive plays 524 pass attempts 466 rushing attempts
2014 Bengals 1018 offensive plays 503 pass attempts 492rushing attempts
2015 Bengals 1004 offensive plays 505 pass attempts 467 rushing attempts
2016 Browns 983 offensive plays 567 pass attempts 350 rushing attempts

Average 1005 plays 524 pass attempts 440 rushing attempts

The average team threw the ball 572 times in 2016 571 times in 2015 558 times in 2014 an average of 567 times so Hue Jackson throws the ball 43 times fewer than the average which limits some of the opportunity for receivers. The total number of plays shows a tendency to not use a lot of hurry up and generally he tries to run the ball if they can. 

I think Hue Jackson prefers a balanced offense so some of the high volume pass attempts that contributed to some amazing numbers for Browns receivers not necessarily there, good red zone opportunities for the TE similar to Eifert with the Bengals and if Njoku can stay healthy more than Eifert has (not hard) he might be more involved between the 20s as well...

The average team threw the ball 572 times in 2016 571 times in 2015 558 times in 2014 an average of 567 times so Hue Jackson throws the ball 43 times fewer than the average which limits some of the opportunity for receivers. The total number of plays shows a tendency to not use a lot of hurry up and generally he tries to run the ball if they can. 

The good news for Njoku is that they released TE Gary Barnidge and have second-year TE Seth DeValve bulking up to play more of an in-line blocking TE which frees up Njoku as the move-receiver TE so he 'should' see the bulk of targets for the tight end.

Like him a lot long-term, obviously the Browns need to eventually hit on a QB but their front office so far has made some great moves. Unfortunately for me he went 1 pick before me in my rookie draft to a team that didn't really need a TE :-(

The good news for Njoku is that they released TE Gary Barnidge and have second-year TE Seth DeValve bulking up to play more of an in-line blocking TE which frees up Njoku as the move-receiver TE so he 'should' see the bulk of targets for the tight end.
Thats interesting. I thought DeValve was more of a converted WR playing TE or joker type as well?

Browns Rookies Make Positive First Impression On Day 1 Of Minicamp

Excerpt:

– Tight end David Njoku – pronounced nuh-jo-koo – must’ve had Velcro on his hands because he caught everything and anything that was thrown in his direction Friday afternoon. His 6-foot-4, 245 pound frame was hard to miss on the practice field. Time will tell, but the first glance of Njoku left many saying, ‘Wow’ including Jackson. 

“He is a big, fast guy, right,” Jackson said with a big smile. “He looks good. He can run.”

Browns minicamp: Kizer got bit in a pile against Njoku’s Hurricanes

Excerpt:

Elsewhere in celebrity comparisons, NFL Network’s scouting report likens Njoku to fantasy-league star Greg Olsen, another ex-Hurricane. Olsen has topped 1,000 yards and gone to a Super Bowl across his last three seasons with the Panthers.

After two days of rookie minicamp, Kizer seems convinced Njoku will make an NFL name for himself.

"He’s a freak,” Kizer said at the edge of a Browns practice field. “He has muscles. He’s 6-foot-5. He’s jumping and catching it one-handed.

“It’s crazy.”

Thats interesting. I thought DeValve was more of a converted WR playing TE or joker type as well?
He was drafted as a move-TE but he is bulking up to be more of an in-line TE.

http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/05/seth-devalve-bulking-up-to-change-roles-with-david-njoku-now-in-cleveland/

Seth DeValve bulking up to change roles with David Njoku now in Cleveland

It appears one of the positions getting a radical makeover for the Cleveland Browns is tight end.

Last year’s primary TE, Gary Barnidge, is no longer with the team. He was let go after the team traded up into the bottom of the first round to select David Njoku. He adds a different dimension as an athletic TE capable of flexing out and stretching the seam.

The player many Browns fans expected to appear more prominently in that role was Seth DeValve. As a rookie in 2016, DeValve impressed in limited duty. The fourth-round pick from Princeton caught 10 passes for 127 yards and two touchdowns.

But with Njoku on the scene, DeValve lost his role as the flex/move TE. Rather than fight it or complain, the second-year pro is bulking up in an attempt to become a better blocker and more physical presence.

JaredL @JaredL77

Hue Jackson in a interview on Cleveland Browns Daily just said that Seth Devalve is in at 260+ right now. His listed weight in 2016 was 245.

2:17 PM - 4 May 2017

As long as he doesn’t lose much of his burst and athleticism, it’s a prudent career move for DeValve. He can slide into Barnidge’s old role with Njoku providing a higher-end option as the primary receiving TE.

Njoku showed his natural athletic skills in the rookie mini-camp but he also proved that his skills are raw and need development.  I think he will flash 'some' this year but make a big leap forward next year.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/05/browns_rookie_minicamp_shows_t.html#incart_river_index

Browns rookie minicamp shows the talent is there, but developing it will take time
...Njoku, who had been immune to criticism to that point, dropped a gimme.
... We knew that Njoku was, as Kizer put it, "a freak." His stock likely rose over the weekend as he delivered on what his size and speed promises. He's also only 20 years old. There were reminders of that, too.

Pretty good info getting piled up in here, let's compile it:

TE Premium actual drafted spots:
6, 7, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 11, 11, 11, 12, 12

PPR actual drafted spots:
8, 10, 15, 16

Last edited by a moderator:
In my five FFPC drafts he went 8, 8, 8, 9, & 10.
To add to this in 6 FFPC leagues this is where he went with the parenthesized number indicating his order among TE's.

8(2), 9 (3), 8(2), 12(3), 10 (3), 8 (3)

In my two single PPR non TE premium leagues:

8(2), 15(3).

In my 4 FFPC style rookie drafts from last week he went 7(1), 11(2), 9(2), 8(2). 

I took him at 8 above and I took OJ at 8 in the one where Njoku went 7.

In 4 other identical leagues he went 10(3), 8(2), 12(2), 11(2)

I realize Howard is the "safer" pick at TE but as far as fantasy goes I don't see why Njoku isn't being drafted as the top TE more. Yes he's on the browns and they don't really have a QB but they also don't really have much else as far as offensive talent outside him, Coleman and a decent rb. Britt isn't bad but I also don't see him holding someone like njoku back.

Especially in PPR I could easily see him being a lock for 5+ catches a week

meanwhile Howard goes to a team with a stud in Evans, a very good Djax, another TE that had a very good year and will be used still (maybe even more as a pass catcher then Howard for awhile considering Howard is the better blocker) and capable RBs. Yes the QB is very good but the targets atleast right away probably won't be there.

Im all for taking the "surer" thing in dynasty but if you actually want a better chance a production right away I don't see why Njoku isn't the first TE taken

I realize Howard is the "safer" pick at TE but as far as fantasy goes I don't see why Njoku isn't being drafted as the top TE more. Yes he's on the browns and they don't really have a QB but they also don't really have much else as far as offensive talent outside him, Coleman and a decent rb. Britt isn't bad but I also don't see him holding someone like njoku back.

Especially in PPR I could easily see him being a lock for 5+ catches a week

meanwhile Howard goes to a team with a stud in Evans, a very good Djax, another TE that had a very good year and will be used still (maybe even more as a pass catcher then Howard for awhile considering Howard is the better blocker) and capable RBs. Yes the QB is very good but the targets atleast right away probably won't be there.

Im all for taking the "surer" thing in dynasty but if you actually want a better chance a production right away I don't see why Njoku isn't the first TE taken
First, let me say that I like Njoku, and took him at 1.11.  He has as much upside as Howard.  If someone likes him more, than Howard, fine with me.  

But since you asked, here's the answer:  

The negatives for Howard can be used as positives.  He's a better blocker?  Good, that means he'll always be on the field, and more likely to be covered by a LB than a safety.  When Howard is on the field, the defense has to decide, before the play, if they gonna have a LB or a DB on the field.  If they play the run, because Howard is a great blocker, Winston can see that matchup, and audible to a pass.  Howard, stays in to pass block (and really, how often are the Bucs gonna use Howard to pass block??), the play breaks down, Winston scrambles, Howard releases to the flat, reception.  There are a LOT of circumstances where being a better blocker can lead to better fantasy stats.  

Regarding this:

Did you avoid Gronk and Graham (NO) because their teams had a lot of other good pass catchers?  If so, how did that work out?  Getting the top target for a team that scores 7-14 points a game is fine, but taking the #2 target for a high powered offense is better, for the most part. Getting a TE for a good team, a good offense, is almost always a benefit.  

Brate had a good year?  Response:  Imagine what Howard can do if an average talent like Brate put up numbers.  

Winston gonna be throwing for 300+ yards on the regular.  Kessler will be throwing for 145. 

Howard's biggest negative is that Alabama didn't use him enough, their QB sucked.  That shows what a clean prospect he really is.  

I think these arguments apply much, much more to Engram vs. Howard and Njoku.  

Having said all that, I am on board with Njoku as a late 1st.  I took him over Mike Williams yesterday.  

I was thrilled to get him at 2.01. Like some have said before me, there aren't too many receiving options in Cle while it's a crowded situation for Howard and Engram. I realize they played for different coaches but Jordan Cameron and Barnidge had no problem putting up big TE numbers for Cleveland recently, too.

First, let me say that I like Njoku, and took him at 1.11.  He has as much upside as Howard.  If someone likes him more, than Howard, fine with me.  

But since you asked, here's the answer:  

The negatives for Howard can be used as positives.  He's a better blocker?  Good, that means he'll always be on the field, and more likely to be covered by a LB than a safety.  When Howard is on the field, the defense has to decide, before the play, if they gonna have a LB or a DB on the field.  If they play the run, because Howard is a great blocker, Winston can see that matchup, and audible to a pass.  Howard, stays in to pass block (and really, how often are the Bucs gonna use Howard to pass block??), the play breaks down, Winston scrambles, Howard releases to the flat, reception.  There are a LOT of circumstances where being a better blocker can lead to better fantasy stats.  

Regarding this:

Did you avoid Gronk and Graham (NO) because their teams had a lot of other good pass catchers?  If so, how did that work out?  Getting the top target for a team that scores 7-14 points a game is fine, but taking the #2 target for a high powered offense is better, for the most part. Getting a TE for a good team, a good offense, is almost always a benefit.  

Brate had a good year?  Response:  Imagine what Howard can do if an average talent like Brate put up numbers.  

Winston gonna be throwing for 300+ yards on the regular.  Kessler will be throwing for 145. 

Howard's biggest negative is that Alabama didn't use him enough, their QB sucked.  That shows what a clean prospect he really is.  

I think these arguments apply much, much more to Engram vs. Howard and Njoku.  

Having said all that, I am on board with Njoku as a late 1st.  I took him over Mike Williams yesterday.  
I did not think about the blocking part like that so I definitely see that as a plus in helping him get more total snaps then brate but I would also say the same as far as njoku as he has no competition.

i think the big part that I disagree with is Howard will be the #2 in Tampa right away. More of a 3a 3b with brate and that's kinda the bases of my post is that he probably won't do much the first year so njoku who has the better chance to produce right away, especially in PPR leagues, could be the better pick at TE. 

I 100% agree with you tho that if someone takes Howard first that I don't blame them or think it's a bad pick just wanted to start a discussion about how he may not help right away compared to njoku

He was drafted as a move-TE but he is bulking up to be more of an in-line TE.

http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/05/seth-devalve-bulking-up-to-change-roles-with-david-njoku-now-in-cleveland/

Seth DeValve bulking up to change roles with David Njoku now in Cleveland

Njoku showed his natural athletic skills in the rookie mini-camp but he also proved that his skills are raw and need development.  I think he will flash 'some' this year but make a big leap forward next year.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/05/browns_rookie_minicamp_shows_t.html#incart_river_index
I was just reading this in Fausts TC and Preseason tidbits thread:

Cleveland Browns: Utilizing the Y and U

Both are incredibly athletic players that can give the Browns any number of offensive looks. Njoku is still growing into his body and developing as a blocker, but Hue Jackson views him as a Y, playing inline, able to block and impact in the passing game. They can also split him out, move him around but they really want him to be able to operate as an extension of the line.

DeValve, who lined up at wide receiver, tight end and H-Back at Princeton, is slated to play the U, an unattached tight end and really just operates as a space player. Just like in the small sample size he had last year, DeValve will be moved around on the field in an effort to create mismatches.

Those 2 stories seem to contradict, unless I'm reading them wrong. One says that DeValve is going to be off the line, and will be purely a receiving threat. But the other article says that he's been bulking up to assume the role of blocking TE, thus freeing up Njoku to focus on pass catching.  Did I miss something?

Also, the idea that they'd keep Njoku in-line blocking, so that DeValve could run around is kind of ridiculous.

Those 2 stories seem to contradict, unless I'm reading them wrong. One says that DeValve is going to be off the line, and will be purely a receiving threat. But the other article says that he's been bulking up to assume the role of blocking TE, thus freeing up Njoku to focus on pass catching.  Did I miss something?

Also, the idea that they'd keep Njoku in-line blocking, so that DeValve could run around is kind of ridiculous.
They do contradict each other. I read these things the same way. I don't think you missed anything.

When Bracie posted the article talking about DeValve taking over a more in line blocking role I was surprised, as what little I know about him that isn't what he has experience with or what best suits his skill set. Now recently (a month later) we have this other report saying that DeValve will be the U or the move TE. That makes sense as far as his skill set. I am not a Browns fan like Bracie is, so I would like to hear what he thinks about this new bit of information and if things have changed since May.

I think these things are yet to be decided. They don't do as serious of blocking during OTAs as they do in training camp.

One way t can interpret this is that Njoku will play a lot of snaps (and significantly more than DeValve) as the Y TE who will also move outside at times. DeValve may only play in 2 TE formations.

If they are counting on Njoku to block more, that could limit him opportunities as a receiver. At the same time the Browns have some really good offensive linemen, and they may not need their TE to help block as much as other teams. So Njoku still may be running a lot of pass routes, from either the Y or U position.

I am curious what others think about this and what it may mean for Njoku's opportunity and development.

In regards to the comparison of Njoku with Engram, I would expect Engram to play more unattached role than Njoku will and this recent report is something that supports my earlier guess about how they will be used and why Engram may be more productive.

I still say Eli will spread it around a lot more than whoever plays QB for Cleveland this year. The NY offense has more TD upside, but I think I prefer Njoku short and long term. I expect Njoku to get a bigger target share. "Young QB leaning on stud TE" narrative. I buy it. 

I still say Eli will spread it around a lot more than whoever plays QB for Cleveland this year. The NY offense has more TD upside, but I think I prefer Njoku short and long term. I expect Njoku to get a bigger target share. "Young QB leaning on stud TE" narrative. I buy it. 
I have tried to look into the rookie QB likes a TE narrative objectively through research but I found the results to be sporadic and inconclusive. Some did some didn't.

Maybe someone else has found different results than I did though, and I kind of abandoned the research half way through it. Perhaps there is evidence to support it I just didn't dig deep enough.

I think some TE seasons are supported by a lack of other receiving talent on the team, causing them to be used more than they otherwise might have, but such a situation is likely not sustainable. Players around the TE improve over time, recover from injury and so on changing the situation. The QB isn't a rookie very long. You run into a problem of small sample size, but the way to approach it would be looking at all rookie QB seasons. Some QB do not start as rookies, so couldn't be part of that sample.

I would also add backup QBs that are called into service to the list, not just rookies. I think 2nd year QB seasons are ok to add rather than capping it at the end of their rookie season. Maybe number of games started for a young QB is the way to look at a threshold. 

I don't doubt that it may be a marginal or inconsistent idea. The edge that I'm giving to Njoku is probably splitting hairs, anyway, but it's what we do. I also fear that Brandon Marshall will get a lions share of redzone and 3rd down targets for the next two years. I don't see that kind of issue in Cleveland. 

Browns Fantasy Preview

Excerpt:

The Browns cut Gary Barnidge a day after trading up for No. 29 pick David Njoku, a sign they anticipate Njoku being something close to an every-down player as a rookie. It’s a big ask of a redshirt-sophomore entrant who’s not yet 21 years old, but also a risk a team like the Browns can afford to take. As a pass catcher, Njoku’s college tape reminded of Travis Kelce as an open-field dominator who averaged an otherworldly 11.2 yards after catch per reception in 2016, and 16.6 yards per catch in his college career. He tested as a 93rd-percentile SPARQ athlete at the Combine and measured in with a LeBronian 82 ½-inch wingspan. Njoku’s transition should be assisted by his experience playing on the line of scrimmage in the Miami Hurricanes’ pro-style offense, where Njoku held his own as both a run and pass blocker. While it’s no secret that rookie tight ends tend to struggle – only six in NFL history have exceeded 65 targets -- Njoku does have an outside chance to buck that trend based on his wealth of opportunity and superlative talent. I still think he is a poor bet to outscore Jason Witten, C.J. Fiedorowicz, Cameron Brate, Antonio Gates, and Jared Cook, all of whom are being drafted behind Njoku in MFL10 best-ball leagues.

This information was part of the Rotoworld blurb on Kenny Britt today:

The Browns are missing the third most targets in the NFL (285) from last season.

Only the Ravens (345) and Rams (297) are missing more. Expected to fill the void for Cleveland are Kenny Britt, Corey Coleman, and David Njoku, among whom only Britt is a proven NFL producer. Britt topped 1,000 yards with Case Keenum and Jared Goff at quarterback in 2016

I was just reading this in Fausts TC and Preseason tidbits thread:

Cleveland Browns: Utilizing the Y and U
Yeah, Pete Smith has been on top of the situation from the start.  He is the one who noticed DeValve had bulked up but recently he noted that Seth was down to 248, his playing weight from last year which hinted he would be the move-TE and he is the guy who wrote the FanSide article that was picked up by USA Today so this is all correct info.

I look for Njoku to be on the field the majority of the time just as Barnidge was last year and for DeValve to get 'more' looks than he did as a rook but he won't be on the field to the extent that Njuko is slated.

Users who are viewing this thread