What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stedman Bailey. (2 Viewers)

Didn't say he wasn't better, just looks a lot like him in stature. Bailey appears to be a better route runner.
Austin is as far from Bailey as Bailey is from Garcon -- almost 2" and 20 pounds worth of difference.
Ok whatever. Regardless of Austin. Bailey is a small quick receiver.

I know the hype machine is in full force for this kid right now, but lets see if he keeps it up. I suspect Britt will lead the team in receiving this week.Britt isn't a sexy play but might be a more productive one. Not saying this kid doesn't have a future just saying the situation he is in doesn't scream consistent weekly production right now

Red flags on Bailey people seem to want to ignore.

1. Plays in less than half of 2 Wr sets.

2. Had no catches after first quarter last week

3.Rams are NOT a great passing team.

4. Other Rams receivers have shown flashes this year then disappeared. See Brian Quick before his injury.
i'm more concerned by the "uneven" QB play than anything. shaun hill, austin davis? c'mon. they just don't have any other choice at this point. it almost immediately caps his production in any game. he's more valuable in dynasty than re-draft except for maybe this week.

i can't speak to the the % of play in WR packages but the others are addressable if you think about them.

- they were up 21 by the end of the first quarter and 38 by the half. fisher took his foot off the gas. he still had almost half the completions that hill threw in game.

- he's on a bad passing team but he is better than the others. britt has been mostly a non-factor all year.

- Quick was productive until the Rams played SF and Seattle. He was hurt early in the KC loss. No shame in being shutdown by the #3 and #4 pass defenses.

Didn't say he wasn't better, just looks a lot like him in stature. Bailey appears to be a better route runner.
Austin is as far from Bailey as Bailey is from Garcon -- almost 2" and 20 pounds worth of difference.
Ok whatever. Regardless of Austin. Bailey is a small quick receiver.

I know the hype machine is in full force for this kid right now, but lets see if he keeps it up. I suspect Britt will lead the team in receiving this week.Britt isn't a sexy play but might be a more productive one. Not saying this kid doesn't have a future just saying the situation he is in doesn't scream consistent weekly production right now

Red flags on Bailey people seem to want to ignore.

1. Plays in less than half of 2 Wr sets.

2. Had no catches after first quarter last week

3.Rams are NOT a great passing team.

4. Other Rams receivers have shown flashes this year then disappeared. See Brian Quick before his injury.
i'm more concerned by the "uneven" QB play than anything. shaun hill, austin davis? c'mon. they just don't have any other choice at this point. it almost immediately caps his production in any game. he's more valuable in dynasty than re-draft except for maybe this week.

i can't speak to the the % of play in WR packages but the others are addressable if you think about them.

- they were up 21 by the end of the first quarter and 38 by the half. fisher took his foot off the gas. he still had almost half the completions that hill threw in game.

- he's on a bad passing team but he is better than the others. britt has been mostly a non-factor all year.

- Quick was productive until the Rams played SF and Seattle. He was hurt early in the KC loss. No shame in being shutdown by the #3 and #4 pass defenses.
it wasn't so much the score in the first half as it was losing half their drives to quick scores.

they had a fairly typical 6 drives in the half, but started at the oak 23 and 13 due to picks, and had another drive 'wiped out' by a 90 yd td run.

3rd q was all 3 and out up 38-0, so you can look at that any way you want.

The only downside I see to this kid is his inability to high-point the ball. That, and his catch radius is a tad concerning. Grades out as a B to this point, with B+ upside.

Just picked him up on the chance I don't like the current matchup of playing K. Allen vs NE or Maclin vs. Sea as my WR #2. And I really don't like those match ups.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
BRONG said:
The only downside I see to this kid is his inability to high-point the ball. That, and his catch radius is a tad concerning. Grades out as a B to this point, with B+ upside.
orly?
Yeah, yeah, I seen all the tape on the kid already. He can jump, sure, but he can't high-point the ball against taller corners.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
BRONG said:
orly?
Yeah, yeah, I seen all the tape on the kid already. He can jump, sure, but he can't high-point the ball against taller corners.
He's so good at finding the open spaces, i'm not concerned about high pointing as much. Kid has talent.

I find it hard to see anything special in Bailey. Doesn't have an elite build, top end speed, or great YAC ability.

But he does get open a lot, which is a skill in itself.

Starting him mostly because if you have been following the Skins recently, it seems like the team is checking out,

You guys holding in dynasty? Seems like they expect Quick and Britt to start the season with Austin in the slot. Where does that leave Bailey?

Long time holder as well. Might be time to cut him loose. Sort of reminds me a bit of the way it felt waiting for Ryan Broyles to deliver on his promise that never was meant to be.

Bailey shot twice in the head in Miami Tuesday night, but medical status described as non-life threatening.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/25/source-stedman-bailey-has-been-shot/

Critical but stable condition, scheduled to have surgery tomorrow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/25/rams-statement-stedman-bailey-in-critical-but-stable-condition/

He was reportedly in a car with several family memebers, and the driver was also shot multiple times while trying to protect children in the vehicle, and does have life threatening injuries.

Thoughts and prayers are with Bailey and his family.​

Last edited by a moderator:
This was ...something. I don't know if it was wrong or the Rams just changed their mind? Everyone reported he was waived or released.

He wasn't. He was placed on the reserve non football injury list. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/transactions (If you see this later, note the date and change from drop down menu)

If I had to guess- they had a presser and during it mentioned that they'd have to release him and then it 'hit them' hey why don't we use our non football injury spot?

I don't know the rules on this roster spot. It's one of those extras like injured reserve and teams don't always use it. 

I think, not sure- he doesn't get paid, gets to file for insurance $, and Rams retain rights to him and he can do physical rehab in their facility. 

This was ...something. I don't know if it was wrong or the Rams just changed their mind? Everyone reported he was waived or released.

He wasn't. He was placed on the reserve non football injury list. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/transactions (If you see this later, note the date and change from drop down menu)

If I had to guess- they had a presser and during it mentioned that they'd have to release him and then it 'hit them' hey why don't we use our non football injury spot?

I don't know the rules on this roster spot. It's one of those extras like injured reserve and teams don't always use it. 

I think, not sure- he doesn't get paid, gets to file for insurance $, and Rams retain rights to him and he can do physical rehab in their facility. 
I believe at this point in the season, players have to pass through waivers before they can be put on the injury lists (maybe only certain players, not sure of the details).  We see a rash of players in the news being "released" then placed on reserve/injured lists a day or two later.

I assume that is what happened with Bailey, and some beat writer just wrote the "released" part of the story, when NFI was the Rams' plan all along.

I don't know because a release allows another team to grab him but a spot(on any list) gives them tabs on him

I don't know because a release allows another team to grab him but a spot(on any list) gives them tabs on him

I believe at this point in the season, players have to pass through waivers before they can be put on the injury lists (maybe only certain players, not sure of the details).  We see a rash of players in the news being "released" then placed on reserve/injured lists a day or two later.

I assume that is what happened with Bailey, and some beat writer just wrote the "released" part of the story, when NFI was the Rams' plan all along.
It's because teams are still in their 90-man rosters.  Non-vested veterans can't be placed directly on IR.  They must pass through waivers, allowing another team to claim them (and carry them on 90 man roster the whole time).  Tyler Gaffney was an example recently.  If they player clears waivers they can the put him on IR/NFI lists.  So the Rams wanted to clear up a roster spot to sign someone else that's going to actually play, so they had to expose him to waivers.

It's because teams are still in their 90-man rosters.  Non-vested veterans can't be placed directly on IR.  They must pass through waivers, allowing another team to claim them (and carry them on 90 man roster the whole time).  Tyler Gaffney was an example recently.  If they player clears waivers they can the put him on IR/NFI lists.  So the Rams wanted to clear up a roster spot to sign someone else that's going to actually play, so they had to expose him to waivers.
Thanks for the info.

What does it take to be "vested" cause it seems like Bailey hasn't been around AND available for hardly any time at all.

He did clear waivers, no other team claimed him.

As noted, Fisher would like to transition him into some form of coaching position.

I dropped him in the few leagues I had him, hard to see him ever playing again. Just the risk the league would have to assume in clearing him seems highly problematic, what if he has a stroke or dies after a blow to the head? Completely uncharted waters, as Fisher has noted, doubtful there is any precedent for this in league history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.

What does it take to be "vested" cause it seems like Bailey hasn't been around AND available for hardly any time at all.
4 Accrued Seasons, so basically a UFA.  An Accrued Season is one in which the player is on Full Pay status for at least 6 games.  IR is considered Full Pay status as is PUP, but NFI is not, even if the team chooses to fully pay the player (which most do).

Hankmoody said:
I googled and found something since then, should have come back and posted. He wasn't waived for a roster spot, that wasn't necessary since putting a player on NFI clears up the spot. Pasting-

• Another option
The non-football injury or illness list (NFI) works very similarly to PUP the difference being that the player fails his physical from a non-football injury. Even if the player fails due to an injury occurring during the player’s college career, it’s still considered a non-football injury. Team’s require players to complete a conditioning test at the beginning of training camp and if they fail the player will be put on NFI until they can pass.

Players placed on active/NFI at the beginning of camp can be removed once they are deemed ready to practice. If they go passed cut-down days the player will be put on reserve/NFI, the same rules apply as PUP, the player doesn’t count on the 53-man roster but misses at least six weeks of the season.

• A major difference between NFI and PUP
A player on reserve/PUP is entitled to salary compensation, while players on reserve/NFI are not, according to the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement (Article 20, Section 3 – [a]). This does not mean teams don’t pay players on NFI, but they don’t have to under NFL salary rules. Usually players on reserve/NFI get their full salary or a split payment, less money per-week, while they are on that list. Any salary paid to a player on reserve/NFI counts on the team’s salary cap.

So as you can see the Rams are paying him. 

It may be a sad but oh so likely scenario where Bailey said "give me til the end of camp coach" and he hasn't yet fully admitted his career is over. It could be the Rams are willing to pay him whatever til week one and he needs some time to readjust his life from some fancy NFL guy to a retired guy- buy a different home, whatever adjustment as his means change.  It could be he has a chance still...could be anything. 

He IS still a Ram though

sorry, didn't adjust font right and editing isn't helping. I hope it's clear my opinion is after the paste

While it's rare for anyone to survive getting shot in the head, twice, Stedman Bailey is trying to defy the odds by making a return to the NFL after a horrific incident two years ago.

https://www.smokingmusket.com/2017/12/13/16774146/stedman-bailey-los-angeles-rams-nfl-comeback-west-virginia-wvu-mountaineers

Officially cleared medically by his personal doctor, now he needs to be cleared by team doctors. He's spent time working out with Tavon Austin and Antonio Brown during his recovery process.

I doubt much fantasy relevance comes from this situation, but an interesting comeback story to monitor nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread