What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stedman Bailey. (1 Viewer)

Bailey does seem an interesting player that could come on as the season progresses. Pettis' excellent work ethic and great shape he showed up in was wonderful to see I'm sure, but he's not a thoroughbred here. It "feels" like Quick or Bailey will outclass him and take his spot soon enough.

Agree. It seems like every quote you read in scouting articles or in radio interviews about this guy is " this guy catches everything thrown his way". To me, it is hard to ignore extremely good hands when you are looking at rookie wrs and he does have production to back it up. I think he could easily be one of the top 3-4 wrs to come out of this class but he is being drafted in the 12 or so range it seems
What I said then is what I'll say now. It's the hands guys. Boil down anything you want when you talk WRs but when you have a guy with exceptional hands, they quickly find their way onto a field; especially when the team has flopped for the last two years trying to find a guy to fit that role. This guy, to me, is Boldin and Wayne. He will never be confused for Julio Jones but he will be that guy that people look up one day and say "this guy...every weeks its like 5-7 catches. He just keeps on keeping on."

Rotoworld:

Rams rookie WR Stedman Bailey played a season-high 22 offensive snaps in Sunday's Week 13 loss to the 49ers.
The third-rounder was involved on offense for much of the day, so he wasn't just limited to garbage time. Bailey was targeted four times on the day, turning them into three catches for 46 yards. He also took an offensive pass interference penalty. With the Rams' playoff hopes now extremely slim, Bailey could see even more snaps over the final month. He has vice-like, reliable hands.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Rotoworld:

Rams rookie WR Stedman Bailey played a season-high 22 offensive snaps in Sunday's Week 13 loss to the 49ers.
The third-rounder was involved on offense for much of the day, so he wasn't just limited to garbage time. Bailey was targeted four times on the day, turning them into three catches for 46 yards. He also took an offensive pass interference penalty. With the Rams' playoff hopes now extremely slim, Bailey could see even more snaps over the final month. He has vice-like, reliable hands.

I hope he starts next year, even if they add Watkins/Evans, in two WR sets, with Austin in on three WR sets.

He is already the most talented possession WR on the team, and reminds me of Hines Ward in some ways (tough, physical, athletic while not testing off the charts).

The Rams have trouble at times identifying their best talent (Stacy had one carry in the first month).

I heard someone last week say he made the special teams play of the year and Fish wants to get him more time. He got more time. The play involved him spinning away and tackling. I didn't see this. I'm hoping Bob or someone else can shed more light on this.

Nothing given, hard work earns more time....this could be said for Brian Quick too. He had three catches also IIRC. Fisher does his part well in building a young team-they gotta keep giving him the pieces though. In TEN it often felt like they added as much talent as they lost and they weren't making progress.

Rotoworld:

I hope he starts next year, even if they add Watkins/Evans, in two WR sets, with Austin in on three WR sets.

He is already the most talented possession WR on the team, and reminds me of Hines Ward in some ways (tough, physical, athletic while not testing off the charts).

The Rams have trouble at times identifying their best talent (Stacy had one carry in the first month).
Fisher is often very reluctant to start rookies.

Watkins/Bailey/Austin with Pettis and Quick as backups has potential to be very good.

who would he start over though?

Fisher's guy (RIP) was Heimerdinger for many years. 'Dinger was awesome at creating mismatches by moving players around often enough where a D was oh so stuck with a bad matchup. Bailey, Quick, and Austin are quite different players. Throw in Cook who they are probably stuck with(cap wise). Austin can play RB. Cook did play a bit of FB in TEN and some WR. I'd be intrigued to know Fish and Co. are scheming to put just about anyone in just about any spot.

It's tough to come up with enough time for Bailey unless they get creative. While not productivity-wise just yet, they are deep.

Fisher's guy (RIP) was Heimerdinger for many years. 'Dinger was awesome at creating mismatches by moving players around often enough where a D was oh so stuck with a bad matchup. Bailey, Quick, and Austin are quite different players. Throw in Cook who they are probably stuck with(cap wise). Austin can play RB. Cook did play a bit of FB in TEN and some WR. I'd be intrigued to know Fish and Co. are scheming to put just about anyone in just about any spot.

It's tough to come up with enough time for Bailey unless they get creative. While not productivity-wise just yet, they are deep.
Bailey is a natural complement to Austin. Givens is not (and he has regressed badly). Quick is too raw and taking too long to get it (who knows if he ever will?). Pettis is a stop gap, replacement level talent that struggles to get open. Bailey has the talent to earn the coaches respect further given the opportunity, and increasingly force his way onto the field more with his play.

After being low man on the totem pole among the rams WR corp for most of the season, I think he has a legit chance to leap frog all three (Givens, Quick and Pettis) next season.

Even if they add a blue chip WR prospect in the 2014 draft like Watkins or Evans (which I'm advocating), imo Bailey is destined to emerge as one of the top three WRs on the roster with his West Virginia teammate Austin.

I will be watching with great dynasty interest how the Rams utilize Bailey over the course of the rest of the season. Bailey has the talent and ability to produce at the NFL level if he can get on the field. The kid is a tremendous football player, and what he lacks in elite physical attributes, he supplements with football IQ and grit.

Bob Magaw said:
Bri said:

Bailey is a natural complement to Austin. Givens is not (and he has regressed badly). Quick is too raw and taking too long to get it (who knows if he ever will?). Pettis is a stop gap, replacement level talent that struggles to get open. Bailey has the talent to earn the coaches respect further given the opportunity, and increasingly force his way onto the field more with his play.

After being low man on the totem pole among the rams WR corp for most of the season, I think he has a legit chance to leap frog all three (Givens, Quick and Pettis) next season.

Even if they add a blue chip WR prospect in the 2014 draft like Watkins or Evans (which I'm advocating), imo Bailey is destined to emerge as one of the top three WRs on the roster with his West Virginia teammate Austin.
If this plays out, then Bailey needs to finish strong. Most people seem to have this concept where he's so talented he needed time, he's starting to get it and...he's going to have to produce.

The concern for me is lack of productivity going into a draft or offseason. Even if every Rams WR had all world potential(like Quick) it has to be difficult for a GM to not draft wideouts.

One of my issues with oh so many NFL teams is a "good looking" rook WR that gets less and less time, is replaced by another promising prospect and yet another...and then the team seems concerned none of them develop. In some ways it seems the NFL is shifting toward WRs having to produce big as rooks to be able to get a team's confidence in them where they have a spot moving forward. I've actually been curious if there aren't some 3rd year WRs barely playing that are quite good, however teams just gave up on them.

In this vein, I think it's very possible Quick and Givens don't get any more time to develop. They either head into next season coming off a strong camp where their play demands playing time, or they are done-sitting or moved to another team.

In the least, I like the hot-hand vibe where a young WR can stay in and get more work. I'm concerned, no matter how this plays out, Fisher will have five WRs that all seem capable of 40 catches for 600 yards and not one star or stud in the group because no one got the time to develop.

I am very confident Marc Mariani is told if he wants a spot in camp, they'll give him one. Fisher (and the fans) llllloves this guy's work ethic and hustle. He's perfect to have in camp with others trying to work as hard, setting the tone etc. I think that's how it'll be next year and I'm leery of the young wideouts that will be cut, what if they gave them more time. Mariani would get a return guy role and probably not a wideout role, he's not likely a threat, it just seems the stage is set for a camp battle with incoming picks and/or a veteran and...well I guess we'll see.

socrates said:
I will be watching with great dynasty interest how the Rams utilize Bailey over the course of the rest of the season. Bailey has the talent and ability to produce at the NFL level if he can get on the field. The kid is a tremendous football player, and what he lacks in elite physical attributes, he supplements with football IQ and grit.
Agree and will be doing the same. I said somewhere in this thread, "Its the hands" and those other things you just can't put a measuring tape on but boy do you just see it when you watch him play.

Any player with sure-handedness like his should find his way as a contributor on any NFL team that is run competently.

I think in fantays he becomes a derrick Mason/Reggie Wayne/Anquan Boldin type in his best scenario. He will never be drooled over like Julio or Harvin or even Crabtree or Decker in terms of "Ahh and Ooh" but he can definitely be that type of guy that you just plug in there every week and don't think about it because he gets you those steady Eddie WR2 points all the time.

I love him as a dynasty pick because if he does develop as I think he will, you don't have to over reach or think about if he is worth this spot or all that. You just simply have him as a quality depth guy that is a building block on a long term team and contributes.

Rotoworld:

Rams WR Stedman Bailey played on a season-high 52 percent of the snaps in Sunday's loss at Arizona.

Bailey's role continues to grow as the Rams enter full-blown evaluation mode. The third-round rookie has produced six catches for 92 yards over the last two weeks, gaining snaps at the expense of Austin Pettis. Bailey is a deep Dynasty stash as he won't be playing with Kellen Clemens in 2014.

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

bailey with a nice looking, 27 yard TD run. he is also their leading WR (2-32) in the first half. he is emerging as one of the rams two best WRs, with west virginia teammate austin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Magaw said:
bailey with a nice looking, 27 yard TD run. he is also their leading WR (2-32) in the first half. he is emerging as one of the rams two best WRs, with west virginia teammate austin.
the future, it's bright in St. Louis

Bob Magaw said:
why are (fantasy) people saying clemens doesn't throw to givens and not young WRs have stepped up? what's your take on that?

Any player with sure-handedness like his should find his way as a contributor on any NFL team that is run competently.
not really true, something painful to accept like a hard truth

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/freddie-barnes-1.html

look at career leaders

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/rec-player-career.html

Now I lllllove teams drafting guys with great hands and would be fine with "my team's" GM being wrong on guys like these but it's still one of those hard truths to accept. Top catch guys in college don't generally make it like the heisman mystique for so long there.

Bob Magaw said:
why are (fantasy) people saying clemens doesn't throw to givens and not young WRs have stepped up? what's your take on that?
bailey is young and stepping up (it took a while, stacy only got one carry in the first month, but has become a fixture, i think bailey will, too). austin flashed in the second half of the season, but has missed the past few games with an ankle injury. pettis has had his snaps most impacted by the emergence of bailey. if they do add a WR like watkins or evans (not a given, they might add a LT like matthews?), pettis would probably be the first to go. clemens is a decent backup, but maybe he has issues locking on to certain targets or patterns? i have become concerned givens is limited and too one dimensional, not a great route runner, and his hands may be suspect (from that perspective, the anti-bailey). quick seems to continue to struggle earning the trust of the coaching staff, and his role also appears to be diminishing (an alarming and disturbing trend after nearly two years that he seems to be going in the wrong direction). if they do add watkins (and WAS lost again today, meaning with SOS, even if they win week 17 against the giants, STL pick will probably be no worse than 1.4, and 1.2 if WAS loses), i think he, bailey and austin are the starters.

another answer to your question is since opening 1-3, the rams emphasized the run, with more two and even three TE sets as a base formation, so less instances of three WR sets, less opportunities at the bottom of the roster. that has probably impacted quick most. givens has continued to start, though, and is having a disappointing season. because of the injury at QB, it is hard to speculate about what might have been.

Rams insiders: Will the Rams use another early pick to try and get a tall down field WR to compliment Austin & Bailey?

Horrible analysis, if the Rams don't need anything, it is slot WRs. "Hey we have Bailey and Austin, but lets draft another returner and slot guy." Funny they call this article GM for a day, because if the GM takes another slot guy he will only be a GM for one more day.

Problem: Find more offensive weapons for their passing attack.

Solution: Even after taking Tavon Austin in the first round a year ago, the Rams' passing attack needs weapons. Brian Quick improved slightly in 2013, but is still not a quality starting receiver, Chris Givens regressed and Stedman Bailey is still developing, so acquiring a big-play receiver would greatly help both Bradford and the whole offense.

My sources in St. Louis tell me that the front office does not believe receiver to be a huge need, but that does not mean they will ignore weapons in a receiver-deep draft. One option would be for the Rams to take Sammy Watkins with the second overall pick and aim to select offensive tackle Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin with the 13th pick. But it would be wiser to wait until the second or third round to add a receiver. A receiver like Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Odell Beckham or Jarvis Landry is likely to slip into the early second round. If none of them are available, the Rams can take a shot at Wisconsin receiver Jared Abbrederis at the top of the third round. He has what it takes to be an excellent slot receiver and a good returner.

The Rams can also sign a veteran receiver or two with tools that have never blossomed, like Andre Caldwell, Kevin Ogletree, Dezmon Briscoe or Damien Williams. Throw them into the competition mix with players like Quick, Givens, and Bailey, and a solid core can emerge.

Heh heh, not only did this guy screw up the Rams needs but he poorly analyzed Abbrederis too. He isn't a slot guy.

Who is it? don't want to give him a click, but want to avoid anything he writes on the future too.

not really true, something painful to accept like a hard truth

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/freddie-barnes-1.html

look at career leaders

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/rec-player-career.html

Now I lllllove teams drafting guys with great hands and would be fine with "my team's" GM being wrong on guys like these but it's still one of those hard truths to accept. Top catch guys in college don't generally make it like the heisman mystique for so long there.
THe operative phrase here is "NFL team that is run competently". The vast majority of those players went to bad, bad situations, whether it was a bad team, bad coaching, or a team where they were absolutely the wrong fit.

Heh heh, not only did this guy screw up the Rams needs but he poorly analyzed Abbrederis too. He isn't a slot guy.

Who is it? don't want to give him a click, but want to avoid anything he writes on the future too.
It's actually Russ Lande.

What's interesting here is that the concern expressed about the passing game is the 3rd priority in the article. He mentions OL and Safety ahead of WR, which is what most observers would put ahead of WR.

saintfool said:
MAC_32 said:

It's actually Russ Lande.

What's interesting here is that the concern expressed about the passing game is the 3rd priority in the article. He mentions OL and Safety ahead of WR, which is what most observers would put ahead of WR.
really? Wow. He's had some questionable rankings before but he usually has strong analysis. No idea what he is thinking here.

Horrible analysis, if the Rams don't need anything, it is slot WRs. "Hey we have Bailey and Austin, but lets draft another returner and slot guy." Funny they call this article GM for a day, because if the GM takes another slot guy he will only be a GM for one more day.

Problem: Find more offensive weapons for their passing attack.

Solution: Even after taking Tavon Austin in the first round a year ago, the Rams' passing attack needs weapons. Brian Quick improved slightly in 2013, but is still not a quality starting receiver, Chris Givens regressed and Stedman Bailey is still developing, so acquiring a big-play receiver would greatly help both Bradford and the whole offense.

My sources in St. Louis tell me that the front office does not believe receiver to be a huge need, but that does not mean they will ignore weapons in a receiver-deep draft. One option would be for the Rams to take Sammy Watkins with the second overall pick and aim to select offensive tackle Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin with the 13th pick. But it would be wiser to wait until the second or third round to add a receiver. A receiver like Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Odell Beckham or Jarvis Landry is likely to slip into the early second round. If none of them are available, the Rams can take a shot at Wisconsin receiver Jared Abbrederis at the top of the third round. He has what it takes to be an excellent slot receiver and a good returner.

The Rams can also sign a veteran receiver or two with tools that have never blossomed, like Andre Caldwell, Kevin Ogletree, Dezmon Briscoe or Damien Williams. Throw them into the competition mix with players like Quick, Givens, and Bailey, and a solid core can emerge.
I think it's all just "yeah we might take Sammy, wanna trade?" smokescreen. I think we can bank on at least one T to them.

The Titans drafted Roos and Stewart in the same draft and had bookends for nine years. That draft Pacman was the first rounder. They even drafted another T late that year.

The Rams doing this (top DB, two tackles) method in the upcoming draft seems like a very good plan.

I don't even see a prob with them grabbing a G that falls to them too-a distinct possibility in any draft- for whatever odd reason they're not beloved by GMs.

St. Louis Rams' Stedman Bailey suspended four gamesBy Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

The St. Louis Rams will begin the season without wide receiver Stedman Bailey.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Bailey has been suspended four games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances, according to a source informed of the situation.

The NFL later announced the suspension. Bailey will be eligible to return to the Rams' active roster on Oct. 6 following the team's Week 4 matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles. Bailey is eligible to participate in all offseason and preseason practices and games.

A person close to the Bailey told Rapoport that the receiver did not take any performing-enhancing substances. It's a tough blow for the Rams, who were plotting a bigger role for Bailey in his second season.

The Rams didn't select a wide receiver with any of their 10 picks in the draft. Rapoport reported that the team was aware of Bailey's positive test and looming ban for some time.

Who could be the benefactor of Bailey's misfortune? Keep an eye on Kenny Britt, who signed a one-year deal with St. Louis in the offseason and could have a golden opportunity to make an impact in the season's opening weeks.

The "Around The League Podcast" wrapped up the draft by picking our winners and losers.

Rotoworld take:

NFL suspended Rams WR Stedman Bailey four games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.
Per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Rams have known of Bailey's impending ban for "several months." It's despite that fact that they opted not to draft a single receiver. A third-round pick last season, Bailey started two of the Rams' final four games, finishing his rookie year with a 17/226/0 line. Bailey had an outside chance at earning a starting job in training camp, but will now be behind the eight ball when he returns in Week 6. Receiver remains a trouble spot for a team that's struggled to find talented wideouts for Sam Bradford.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Yes. Week 4 bye. So really a 5 week ban as he misses the bye week of work with the team. A valuable week for young player trying to establish himself. Bummer.

Does this help Quick or Givens at all?
more reps, sure, and playing time. i read somewhere how given played injured most of the year with a foot injury. maybe he's back to form with some rest? i'd love quick to emerge because he has the ability to do a lot well.

Quick is real close to a lost cause. This is year 3 for him so it either clicks for him now or it won't happen with The Rams.

I'm looking for a bounce back year from Givens. Don't think he'll ever be a true #1 but if he can get back to that guy who takes the top off D's he'll provide us with what we need to let Austin work underneath.

Suspension could cost Bailey big chance

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Entering last weekend's NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams held 12 selections, enough to add players at any position.

True to general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher's repeated votes of confidence in the current receiving corps, the Rams ignored wideouts.

The lack of additions at receiver was enough to make one wonder how the Rams offense would be more productive and score more points in 2014. But the Rams remained steadfast in their ability to develop the incumbent group.

On Monday afternoon, the Rams revealed in a statement that Stedman Bailey -- the young wideout showing perhaps the most promise at the end of 2013 -- will be suspended for the first four games of the season because of a violation of the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Bailey can still participate in the team's offseason program as well as training camp and preseason games. From there, he can't return to the field until Oct. 6, the day after the team's Week 5 game against Philadelphia. The Rams' early bye week in Week 4 will actually cost Bailey an extra week of work.

But it could also cost him -- and the Rams -- much more.

Bailey's rookie season was mostly unremarkable. He finished with 17 catches for 226 yards and a rushing touchdown, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

After spending most of the season working in a backup role and contributing on special teams, Bailey got some late-season opportunities to work as an outside receiver. He even started two of the final four games.

What's more, Bailey was the rare Rams wideout flashing the ability to get open against man coverage outside the hashmarks. Bailey had 15 catches for 195 yards in the final five games.

If nothing else, the arrow was pointing up for Bailey heading into the 2014 season. He figured to have an expanded role in Year 2 and a very real chance at winning a starting job.

Now, Bailey shouldn't count on that opportunity waiting for him.

Soon after the news of his suspension broke, Bailey tweeted that he will "bounce back," but the reality is he shouldn't have made this mistake in the first place. Opportunities such as the one that sat before Bailey can be fleeting in the NFL. There's no guarantee it will exist by the time he gets back.

As is the case with most suspensions, the Rams were aware of his pending absence long before the draft and still chose to eschew drafting help for the position. That only serves to reinforce that they have faith in the likes of Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Kenny Britt. Justin Veltung is also expected back and the Rams added a pair of wideouts as undrafted free agents.

The Rams were already pinning their hopes on the ability of a mostly unproven receiving corps to develop. They've now lost the one receiver who showed signs that he could make good on that promise.

Suspension could cost Bailey big chance

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Entering last weekend's NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams held 12 selections, enough to add players at any position.

True to general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher's repeated votes of confidence in the current receiving corps, the Rams ignored wideouts.

The lack of additions at receiver was enough to make one wonder how the Rams offense would be more productive and score more points in 2014. But the Rams remained steadfast in their ability to develop the incumbent group.

On Monday afternoon, the Rams revealed in a statement that Stedman Bailey -- the young wideout showing perhaps the most promise at the end of 2013 -- will be suspended for the first four games of the season because of a violation of the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Bailey can still participate in the team's offseason program as well as training camp and preseason games. From there, he can't return to the field until Oct. 6, the day after the team's Week 5 game against Philadelphia. The Rams' early bye week in Week 4 will actually cost Bailey an extra week of work.

But it could also cost him -- and the Rams -- much more.

Bailey's rookie season was mostly unremarkable. He finished with 17 catches for 226 yards and a rushing touchdown, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

After spending most of the season working in a backup role and contributing on special teams, Bailey got some late-season opportunities to work as an outside receiver. He even started two of the final four games.

What's more, Bailey was the rare Rams wideout flashing the ability to get open against man coverage outside the hashmarks. Bailey had 15 catches for 195 yards in the final five games.

If nothing else, the arrow was pointing up for Bailey heading into the 2014 season. He figured to have an expanded role in Year 2 and a very real chance at winning a starting job.

Now, Bailey shouldn't count on that opportunity waiting for him.

Soon after the news of his suspension broke, Bailey tweeted that he will "bounce back," but the reality is he shouldn't have made this mistake in the first place. Opportunities such as the one that sat before Bailey can be fleeting in the NFL. There's no guarantee it will exist by the time he gets back.

As is the case with most suspensions, the Rams were aware of his pending absence long before the draft and still chose to eschew drafting help for the position. That only serves to reinforce that they have faith in the likes of Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Kenny Britt. Justin Veltung is also expected back and the Rams added a pair of wideouts as undrafted free agents.

The Rams were already pinning their hopes on the ability of a mostly unproven receiving corps to develop. They've now lost the one receiver who showed signs that he could make good on that promise.
Or it only proves that they are willing to wait on Bailey and that they see something special in him.

It sounds like Bailey could have a big role after he returns to the team game 5. I still think he runs the best routes and has the best hands on the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/02/despite-looming-suspension-stedman-bailey-stepping-up/

Despite looming suspension, Stedman Bailey stepping up

Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
The bad news is that Rams receiver Stedman Bailey will miss the first four games of the season, due to a PED suspension. The good news is that, when he returns, Bailey could be ready to make a big impact.

The second-year wideout, a third-round pick and teammate of first-rounder Tavon Austin at West Virginia, continues to draw positive reviews for his performance in training camp.

“Sted made a lot of plays today,” coach Jeff Fisher said after the team’s first practice of the year inside the Edward Jones Dome, via quotes distributed by the team. “He’s there. He knows how to get open, and knows how to make the plays. Yes, we’ll miss him, but he’s going to push right through camp and we’ll get through his ordeal and we’ll get him right back in the lineup.”

The upcoming suspension won’t result in Bailey getting less work during the preseason.

“He’s going to get plenty of work and so are the other guys,” Fisher said. “We’ve got four preseason games and there’s plenty of snaps, plenty of practice snaps to have him ready.”

Quarterback Sam Bradford agrees with Fisher’s optimism.

“Stedman’s been great all camp, all spring,” Bradford said. “I think he’s going to be a big part of what we do when he gets back. Obviously, it’s a bummer that he’s not going to be with us the first four [games], but when he comes back, the timing and everything that we’re doing right now is to make sure that we’re ready when he does get back. He’s been very productive. . . . He’s a very smart receiver. He’s always in the right place. He’s got a great instinct, just about feeling different zones and getting open. I think he’s going to be a big target in the offense this year and I think it showed today. He caught a lot of balls out here today.”

The Rams have spent the last few years loading up on wideouts, but waiting for the payoff. As to Bailey, it could come this year. If it also happens for other young receivers, the Rams could indeed be ready to disrupt the Seahawks-49ers domination of the division.

The Rams held their annual scrimmage Saturday, coming out in full pads for the first time. While none of the principals competed in any live drills, the first-team offense and defense did match up for some extended team drills. They spent those drills working at "thud" tempo with the defense making contact with the shoulder pads but with no live tackling. The first-team offense continued to show signs of life in the early live drills, with quarterback Sam Bradford and receiver Stedman Bailey hooking up for big gains twice in as many snaps. Bailey had a big day in general, catching about 10 passes during live drills and seven on seven. Bradford later connected with Kenny Brittfor a long touchdown on a perfectly thrown deep ball. But when the drill moved closer to the goal line, the defense stood tall and kept the offense out of the end zone on consecutive handoffs from the 2.

As much as I love the enthusiasm and hope that Quick, Britt and Tavon give this offense, it's reassuring that a guy like Bailey is around to be dependable.

FWIW, I have his comps as a mix of Antonio Brown and Randall Cobb. Been picking him up where I could for cheap since late last season. Wouldn't shock me at all if he turned into a top-25 FF WR even in that offense.

FWIW, I have his comps as a mix of Antonio Brown and Randall Cobb. Been picking him up where I could for cheap since late last season. Wouldn't shock me at all if he turned into a top-25 FF WR even in that offense.
I think Bailey is going to be a stud, the problem is, the Rams have Britt, Austin, Quick, Givens, Cook and Kendricks and they love spreading it around. BTW, Britt and Quick have looked great so far.

I think Bailey is going to be a stud, the problem is, the Rams have Britt, Austin, Quick, Givens, Cook and Kendricks and they love spreading it around. BTW, Britt and Quick have looked great so far.
Yeah, the problem is the Rams have too many talented pass catchers.

Yeah, the problem is the Rams have too many talented pass catchers.
Definitely up and comers.

i don't think any of us have a clue what that offense looks like with Bradford, young players getting more experience, and a o-line that could be rock solid. we'll see what the rotations look like in preseason, i guess, but i think it is too soon to make predictions.

I don't know if there's any chance all of Britt, Quick, Bailey, Austin, and Cook can get it together and become a real receiving corps, but that's about how you'd draw one up on paper. I'm cautiously optimistic the team can build on last year's early-season start in the passing game. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread