What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sell Vincent Jackson now! (3 Viewers)

Though the justification is off, OP's position still valid in terms of potentially selling VJAX high right now. With today's explosion, his value is likely never going to be higher in terms of trading up for a true WR1 with more reliable production.

A few things can happen:

1) This game is an aberration, and VJAX (and Glennon) regress, making VJAX a bye-week/flex gamble at best.

2) VJAX continues to be boom/bust -- for those who drafted him as a low WR1/high WR2, he shows flashes, but more probable that he puts up ~5-8 points than 10-15 on average

3) TB turns it around completely, Glennon solidifies the offense, and VJAX becomes an every week starter with a floor of ~60 and 0.5 TD average.

Maybe there are other scenarios, but those seem the most straight-forward; if I was allocating probability percentages to these scenarios, 40/50/10 may be reasonable.

If you agree with the above in general, seems like you would also agree that trading VJAX for a more reliable WR1 after this breakout is a good move,

For full disclosure, I am a VJAX owner, and if someone wants to part with a guy like Nelson or A. Brown or Marshall/Fitz, I'd be on it like sherbet orange on Buccaneer Bruce.

Stompin said:
Though the justification is off, OP's position still valid in terms of potentially selling VJAX high right now. With today's explosion, his value is likely never going to be higher in terms of trading up for a true WR1 with more reliable production.

A few things can happen:

1) This game is an aberration, and VJAX (and Glennon) regress, making VJAX a bye-week/flex gamble at best.

2) VJAX continues to be boom/bust -- for those who drafted him as a low WR1/high WR2, he shows flashes, but more probable that he puts up ~5-8 points than 10-15 on average

3) TB turns it around completely, Glennon solidifies the offense, and VJAX becomes an every week starter with a floor of ~60 and 0.5 TD average.

Maybe there are other scenarios, but those seem the most straight-forward; if I was allocating probability percentages to these scenarios, 40/50/10 may be reasonable.

If you agree with the above in general, seems like you would also agree that trading VJAX for a more reliable WR1 after this breakout is a good move,

For full disclosure, I am a VJAX owner, and if someone wants to part with a guy like Nelson or A. Brown or Marshall/Fitz, I'd be on it like sherbet orange on Buccaneer Bruce.
If you can get one of those receivers, then yes you have to consider it. I don't see those offers.

Stompin said:

A few things can happen:

If you can get one of those receivers, then yes you have to consider it. I don't see those offers.
I am not surprised you aren't seeing these offers proactively. My point is that after this week, VJAX owners may want to make those offers and see how other guys value him.

Stompin said:

A few things can happen:

I am not surprised you aren't seeing these offers proactively. My point is that after this week, VJAX owners may want to make those offers and see how other guys value him.
In non-ppr, I would not trade Jackson for any of those guys.

Jackson was not just a true WR1 last year, he was a stud. He has that potential.

Scenarios:

Vjax is nothing more than a flex/bye player going forward: 0% unless he gets hurt

WR3: 20%

WR2: 60%

WR1: 20%

Stompin said:

A few things can happen:

Of course, i just mean that in my leagues, vjax won't get those players. I'm looking at dynasty though, so that makes a difference.

What we saw today was typical coax. Sometimes he gets you 7. Sometimes he gets you 37.

But, if nothing else, we really should keep in mind that this was against the eagles and everyone is feasting on them and mike Williams was out. I see todays game being better for the seller's point than the buyers.

Utterly disgusted with myself for dropping V Jax out of the line up for Martin at the last minute. Shat my load.

Utterly disgusted with myself for dropping V Jax out of the line up for Martin at the last minute. Shat my load.
One of Jackson's touchdowns should have been Martin, though.

Martin ran 24 yards to the 1 yard line. Then on 1st down they threw it to Jackson.

I left him out of the lineup too, but how could I start that guy over Marshall, Blackmon and AJ Green? Gonna have fun deciding starters next week.

I would be willing to bet he finishes in top 3 WRs this weekend. Glennon's big arm plus a long bye week to get on the same page with eachother plus the birds' highly questionable secondary is a recipe for success. 7-8 receptions, 120+ yards and 2tds is my thinking.i If you really are down on him, wait till he torches the Eagles this week and then sell high. I personally am excited for the QB change and think he's a strong WR1 moving forward.
wassup

What we saw today was typical coax. Sometimes he gets you 7. Sometimes he gets you 37.

But, if nothing else, we really should keep in mind that this was against the eagles and everyone is feasting on them and mike Williams was out. I see todays game being better for the seller's point than the buyers.
bucs take on the falcons next week.. so it may be a smart play if you're planning on selling him to wait til after he tears up the ATL 31st ranked pass defense. two solid performances back to back after the bye is a great selling point

unckeyherb said:
I would be willing to bet he finishes in top 3 WRs this weekend. Glennon's big arm plus a long bye week to get on the same page with eachother plus the birds' highly questionable secondary is a recipe for success. 7-8 receptions, 120+ yards and 2tds is my thinking.i If you really are down on him, wait till he torches the Eagles this week and then sell high. I personally am excited for the QB change and think he's a strong WR1 moving forward.
wassup
Wizard.

What does your crystal ball say, big picture, remainder of season?

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:

Martin ran 24 yards to the 1 yard line. Then on 1st down they threw it to Jackson.
Wut?
What do you mean...wut?

One of Vincent Jackson's touchdowns came from the 1 yard line on first down, after Doug Martin ran 24 yards to the 1 yard line.

unckeyherb said:
wassup
Wizard.

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:

Wut?
What do you mean...wut?

One of Vincent Jackson's touchdowns came from the 1 yard line on first down, after Doug Martin ran 24 yards to the 1 yard line.
I don't understand the bolded part.

unckeyherb said:
wassup
Wizard.

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:

Wut?
What do you mean...wut?

It's pretty self explanatory. The RB took the ball from the 25 yard line all the way to the 1 yard line. Conventional wisdom tells us at least on 1st and 2nd down with one of the better goal line backs in football on the team, they'd try to use him to run the ball into the endzone. Rather then risk a fade with their questionably talented rookie QB.

unckeyherb said:
wassup
Wizard.

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:

Wut?
What do you mean...wut?

It's pretty self explanatory. The RB took the ball from the 25 yard line all the way to the 1 yard line. Conventional wisdom tells us at least on 1st and 2nd down with one of the better goal line backs in football on the team, they'd try to use him to run the ball into the endzone. Rather then risk a fade with their questionably talented rookie QB.
Does your scoring system not count points that shouldn't have happened because someone in the league disagreed with the coach's decision on a particular play?

Must be a nightmare to set that up at MFL.

unckeyherb said:
wassup
Wizard.What does your crystal ball say, big picture, remainder of season?

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:
One of Jackson's touchdowns should have been Martin, though.Martin ran 24 yards to the 1 yard line. Then on 1st down they threw it to Jackson.
Wut?
What do you mean...wut?One of Vincent Jackson's touchdowns came from the 1 yard line on first down, after Doug Martin ran 24 yards to the 1 yard line.
Which speaks volumes about how they use vjax.

VA703 said:

bucs take on the falcons next week.. so it may be a smart play if you're planning on selling him to wait til after he tears up the ATL 31st ranked pass defense. two solid performances back to back after the bye is a great selling point
He went 3/50/0 and 5/96/0 against the Falcons last year. McClain actually matches up pretty good with him. Not saying you won't be right. Just adding food for consideration.

All games against the Eagles need an astericks. They've let receivers run wild all year. Now Is probably a good time to sell unless you're buying into Glennon being for real the rest of the way.

at this point I think its worth a gamble unless if you have the luxury to take the gamble. theyre trusting vjax on the 1 yd line and 1st down over Martin. this sounds promising

if you buy into gordon you buy into vjackson. Both qbs suck, but these wrs will lead their teams in targets.

11 targets and 14 targets in 2 games--yes please.

Production will be eratic but it comes with the territory.

What will you really get in return?

Last edited by a moderator:
VA703 said:

He went 3/50/0 and 5/96/0 against the Falcons last year. McClain actually matches up pretty good with him. Not saying you won't be right. Just adding food for consideration.
Atlanta's pass D not nearly as good this year as last year.

unckeyherb said:
wassup
Wizard.

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:

Wut?
What do you mean...wut?

Does your scoring system not count points that shouldn't have happened because someone in the league disagreed with the coach's decision on a particular play?

I'll bet you have lots of friends.

Edit: Seriously dude, the mini-topic was the decision to start Martin over Jackson. Martin rushed for 24 yards to the 1 yard line, and then they threw it to Jackson. More often than not, Doug Martin isn't going to rush 24 yards to the 1 yard line and not get the TD. In terms of looking back and using hindsight to be upset with yourself for starting Martin over Vincent Jackson, my comment about how that TD went down should be pretty easy to understand, without your having to come in and be a #### about it.

Call me crazy, but I just don't understand why people were saying before this game that the guy is a flex option at best. Dude played with a horrible quarterback against some of the best corners in the league thus far and is dealing with a rib injury to boot. IMO VJax is a clear cut example of the stats and the film telling two different tales.

He's my WR2 behind Demaryius and the only way I'd ever bench him is if he literally cannot walk (and I bet he'll still do whatever he can to suit up and get out there).

unckeyherb said:
wassup
Wizard.

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:

Wut?
What do you mean...wut?

Edit: Seriously dude, the mini-topic was the decision to start Martin over Jackson. Martin rushed for 24 yards to the 1 yard line, and then they threw it to Jackson. More often than not, Doug Martin isn't going to rush 24 yards to the 1 yard line and not get the TD. In terms of looking back and using hindsight to be upset with yourself for starting Martin over Vincent Jackson, my comment about how that TD went down should be pretty easy to understand, without your having to come in and be a #### about it.
The other guy was asking nicely and you didn't get it. Otis was more blunt and you got all upset about it. Martin didn't get the TD. More often than not Martin would get that, but guess what, it happened and VJax got the TD. Guys get stopped at the 1 all the time. Last I checked, we don't move TD's over to guys winded from a long run because he almost scored.

unckeyherb said:
wassup
Wizard.

Like I said before this game, I love this QB change for VJax. Glennon might not win a bunch of games, but he's got a big arm and is going to launch it out to VJax a lot. Take a look at his numbers with Freeman before he went nuts and farther back with Rivers when Rivers was a chucker.

In 2 games, Glennon threw to him 25 times! out of 86 passes for an average of 13 ypc. That's 30% of the passes going to VJax.

Strong WR1 going forward is what I was thinking prior to the game and his outing did nothing to change my opinion.

Sometimes Vjax will get a 24 yard pass and get pushed out at the 1, then Martin will get the rushing score. But that should have been VJax's TD.

Wait, why are we talking about this and why does it matter?

Like I said before this game, I love this QB change for VJax. Glennon might not win a bunch of games, but he's got a big arm and is going to launch it out to VJax a lot. Take a look at his numbers with Freeman before he went nuts and farther back with Rivers when Rivers was a chucker.

In 2 games, Glennon threw to him 25 times! out of 86 passes for an average of 13 ypc. That's 30% of the passes going to VJax.

Strong WR1 going forward is what I was thinking prior to the game and his outing did nothing to change my opinion.
I sure hope so. I'd obviously be THRILLED with that. And I'll be happy with WR2...and mostly-satisfied with WR3. I have him behind Demaryius and Welker.

It cost me Eddie Lacy Straight up (have Martin, Giovani, MJD, and Joique left, can only start 2) though.

Sometimes Vjax will get a 24 yard pass and get pushed out at the 1, then Martin will get the rushing score. But that should have been VJax's TD.

Wait, why are we talking about this and why does it matter?
We are talking about it because somebody was unhappy with his decision to start Martin over Jackson in a flex spot this week.

It doesn't really matter.

I'm just saying that if Doug Martin hadn't rushed 24 yards to go down at the 1, there wouldn't be much room to be upset with making the 'wrong' decision.

yes agreed everyone was saying he was done because of a few bad weeks... He is still a stud and selling now would only be appropriate for young super star talent, and no one will trade that for a 30 year old wr... RIDE OUT ON HIM.

unckeyherb said:
wassup
Wizard.

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:

Wut?
What do you mean...wut?

I have no idea what you're even talking about here.

unckeyherb said:
wassup
Wizard.

The other guy was asking nicely and you didn't get it. Otis was more blunt and you got all upset about it. Martin didn't get the TD. More often than not Martin would get that, but guess what, it happened and VJax got the TD. Guys get stopped at the 1 all the time. Last I checked, we don't move TD's over to guys winded from a long run because he almost scored.
Thank you.

unckeyherb said:
wassup

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:
One of Jackson's touchdowns should have been Martin, though.Martin ran 24 yards to the 1 yard line. Then on 1st down they threw it to Jackson.
Wut?
What do you mean...wut?One of Vincent Jackson's touchdowns came from the 1 yard line on first down, after Doug Martin ran 24 yards to the 1 yard line.

I'll bet you have lots of friends.Edit: Seriously dude, the mini-topic was the decision to start Martin over Jackson. Martin rushed for 24 yards to the 1 yard line, and then they threw it to Jackson. More often than not, Doug Martin isn't going to rush 24 yards to the 1 yard line and not get the TD. In terms of looking back and using hindsight to be upset with yourself for starting Martin over Vincent Jackson, my comment about how that TD went down should be pretty easy to understand, without your having to come in and be a #### about it.
Ever watch Edge James play? This happened to him his whole career.

unckeyherb said:
wassup

Grahamburn said:
Leonidas said:
Wut?
And with your post you just explained exactly why ur a as a brilliant move to throw it to vjax for the 1 yard td. Everyone on the opposing defense was thinking Martin run up the gut.

How hard can it be even for a marginally talented qb to throw up a jump ball to a 6'6" monster of a wr with sticky hands?

Users who are viewing this thread