What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sell Vincent Jackson now! (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Only 55 percent of passes thrown to Vincent Jackson last season were considered "on-target," according to Pro Football Focus.

That was one of the lowest rates in the league. Tampa Bay somehow boasted two 1,000-yard receivers last season despite having a nightmare quarterback situation. Jameis Winston figures to be a massive upgrade over last year's underachieving duo of Josh McCown and Mike Glennon. With a more reliable passer under center, Jackson should be in for a nice bounce back season.

Source: Pro Football Focus
Jul 10 - 11:08 AM

Whats going on with Jackson? He's only 32 and averaged 14ypc on his way to 1k yards last year so I don't think hes slowing down. His TD's plumetted but that might be because of how awful the offense was last year. His targets the last three years are 147 / 159 / 143 so Evans arrival didn't cut drastically into his targets.

ESPN has him at 49 which seems low for a player that has a floor of 1kyards and 3-4 TDs

ESPN has him at 49 which seems low for a player that has a floor of 1kyards and 3-4 TDs
Well, he must have been in his bomb shelter when he was a year younger than he will this year because he had half as many TD's as his floor.

ESPN has him 49th overall? He's going 72nd overall at MFL in August and that's best-ball that plays perfectly to his strengths. WR #31.

He's definitely a guy who looks better on paper at the end of the year. Streaky and will leave you high and dry when you need him most. His situation improved this year given the QB situation, but as said above, outside of best ball he's a tough guy to draft after you've had him on your team before.

I think he is a guy you draft for depth and play as either a flex or on bye weeks. He is frustrating to own. Similar to Desean Jackson, where he will go off for 130 and a TD a couple times (while on ur bench most likely), but also a lot of 45 yds and no TD's. I will be targeting him though hoping for a spike in TDs with Evans drawing more coverage.

It's amazing how his best season in Tampa was with Freeman at QB. What I'm trying to figure out is if his ypc dip in 2013/14 with Glennon/McCown is due to him losing a step, extremely suspect QB play or a combination of both. During his tenure with TB he's finished as WR13, WR16 and WR33 respectively. Being ranked as WR31 seems a bit undervalued if consider last years TD numbers an outlier and Winston to be a clear upgrade over what he worked with in 13/14. I think he's decent value but I might be looking somewhere else around his spot. At least he's eclipsed 1k receiving yards for three consecutive years, something Fitz has failed to accomplish every single year in that same time frame.

He's one of only two players i have in both my leagues. Scooped up Vjax for $3 last night in an auction ($100) cap.

Since I have a loaded WR corps in a 12 team PPR league and I'd never really use him, I sold him a few days ago to a fringe playoff contender that wanted some additional WR production this year.

Gave up Vincent Jackson and Pierre Garcon, a 3rd rounder, and a few blind bidding dollars

Got Kendall Wright, Cody Latimer, and Jameis Winston

I think Vincent is going to be his normal self with a bit more luck in the TD department, but his value surely isn't going to get much higher even if he performs better. WRs his age just don't get more valuable.

Since I have a loaded WR corps in a 12 team PPR league and I'd never really use him, I sold him a few days ago to a fringe playoff contender that wanted some additional WR production this year.

Gave up Vincent Jackson and Pierre Garcon, a 3rd rounder, and a few blind bidding dollars

I think Vincent is going to be his normal self with a bit more luck in the TD department, but his value surely isn't going to get much higher even if he performs better. WRs his age just don't get more valuable.
Nice trade to get Winston for some spare parts. I'm surprised the Winston owner gave him up if he's so high on VJAX.

Took him at 6.01 in my 12 team 2 keeper league-so equivalent of 8.01. As my WR3 behind Antonio brown and ODB, think he is enormous value. TDs "should" go up and Winston should boost his receptions. Could easily bounce back to a top 15 wr

Nice trade to get Winston for some spare parts. I'm surprised the Winston owner gave him up if he's so high on VJAX.
Winston wasn't my target. Not a huge fan of his and already have Luck and Flacco. Took him just as a value.

Personally, I think Wright will score as well as Jackson in a PPR format with a QB who's accurate on short and intermediate routes. Wright is easily Mariota's most reliable option in the passing game. So I took it as an opportunity to get younger at my WR6 spot and replace Garcon with Latimer's potential for a relatively low price.

So, VJax was the WR1 in PPR last week. Due to bye weeks and injuries I was forced to start him and Leonard Hankerson. If you had told me that they'd both combine for 250+ yards before Sunday I would have told you to go #### yourself.

I felt confident that VJax would outproduce Evans since Josh Norman is making a case for best CB in the league but was more so expecting a 5/50/0 type of line based on his history vs. CAR, obviously not 10/147/1.

VJax has been a headache thus far but not exactly far off from what we should have expected. His catch rate is still ~50% and he's still a low floor/high ceiling type of player. On a PPG basis he's currently a low-end WR2 on pace for a 76/1168/8 stat line. This would fall in line with his 2012/2013 production and prove that his 2014 line was a outlier from a TD standpoint.

Here are all 15 of his targets from week 4. There's some interesting things to note.

- looks like Norman was actually shadowing him earlier in the game, does CAR move him around or does he stick to one side?

- he really is lining up in the slot often this year and running more high percentage routes, he surprisingly had a 67% catch rate last week

- he was often Winston's first read, Winston seemed focused on force feeding VJax last week

Anyway, obviously if you can sell high, do it but to be honest VJax is still passing the eye test for me. He looks like a savvy vet out there.

What's everyone's opinion of the VJax PPR play this week. Dudes been solid and has rapport but could this be an Evans week since VJax went off last week?

What's everyone's opinion of the VJax PPR play this week. Dudes been solid and has rapport but could this be an Evans week since VJax went off last week?
They seem to be alternating good weeks so if that continues this would be an Evans week. However, if you include Week 1's inexplicable non-TD review by Lovie VJax would have 3 TDs in four games so Winston clearly looks for him in the Red Zone. Plus, the Bucs' D isn't good so they will probably be throwing it a lot and/or playing from behind most weeks. That gives him an opportunity to produce each week. Despite that and the fact he is being moved around a lot by the Bucs as SameSongNDance said his floor isn't as high as you would like so he comes with some risk as he could put up a 2-30 game any given week.

Bottom line - I think he's always a worthy WR3 option with a high ceiling. The strength of your lineup may determine how strong of an option he is.

They seem to be alternating good weeks so if that continues this would be an Evans week. However, if you include Week 1's inexplicable non-TD review by Lovie VJax would have 3 TDs in four games so Winston clearly looks for him in the Red Zone. Plus, the Bucs' D isn't good so they will probably be throwing it a lot and/or playing from behind most weeks. That gives him an opportunity to produce each week. Despite that and the fact he is being moved around a lot by the Bucs as SameSongNDance said his floor isn't as high as you would like so he comes with some risk as he could put up a 2-30 game any given week.

Bottom line - I think he's always a worthy WR3 option with a high ceiling. The strength of your lineup may determine how strong of an option he is.
right now he's a WR2 in all formats

Rotoworld:

Vincent Jackson left the Buccaneers' Week 7 game against the Redskins with a knee injury and is questionable to return.

He left in the third quarter. Jackson had been having a quiet day with just one catch for 13 yards. With Louis Murphy (knee) also sidelined, the Buccaneers only have two healthy receivers. Jameis Winston will continue to feed Mike Evans in Jackson's absence.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter
Oct 25 - 3:25 PM

Probably his last hurrah. I wouldn't expect too much.  There are suddenly a lot of mouths to feed in Tampa and I wouldn't be surprised to see them add a WR fairly early as well, and if they don't it's because they expect Kenny Bell to contribute. 

Evans will see 20 targets a game and Brate will see 10. This team will be losing a lot, I say grab Brate now he is out there on all the wires in every league. I see a lot of 6/70 a week for Brate. 13 point floor seems nice in ppr.

Jeremy Butler would be my guess for the largest increase in snaps and most upside.  Promoted to the active roster 10/4. 

Cecil shorts?   He's a good wr.  Been hurt all year and just started practicing again.  Also louis Murphy.  

Cecil Shorts or Louis Murphy were going to replace him if healthy.  My money is on Cecil but there's too many moving parts at this stage (such as health).  I think Cecil had one catch before going down with an injury originally.

I'm not sure how much opportunity a WR2 gets on the Bucs until their QB starts playing better.

Someone else will see targets in the redzone and underneath, they cut ASJ to let him run as starter so the confidence is high.

It's amazing people still think letting Vincent Jackson walk was a mistake by AJ Smith(who made plenty of REAL mistakes).....

2012 WR#6 $15mil+

2013 WR#14 $3mil+

2014 WR#37 $12mil+

2015 WR#65 $12mil+

2016 WR#100+ $12mil+

... and there are still folks who want to argue $50mil+ for one top 10 finish was a good signing. 

Vendetta still strong I see. 

When players leave in free agency they're naturally more expensive.  He was a great signing for the Bucs.  One of the few free agents that have ever worked out positively for the franchise. 

Vendetta still strong I see. 

When players leave in free agency they're naturally more expensive.  He was a great signing for the Bucs.  One of the few free agents that have ever worked out positively for the franchise. 
Ehhhh, in the 5 seasons that he's been in Tampa, they have topped out at 7 wins.  In the 5 seasons prior to that, the had seasons where they won 10 games, 9 games, and 9 games.  So they have clearly been worse since he arrived.  And it's a lot tougher to build a roster when you have 12M+ tied up in one WR.  Heck the salary cap in his first year was 120M so he took up 1/10 of their entire cap even though they had to pay 50 other players.

droppable in dynasty, or does he resign somewhere and have a s.smith/bolden type year?
I don't think Jackson has ever been on their level of consistency and professionalism. His game has been more dependent on his size and athleticism, which I do not consider sustainable in the later years of his career the way has been for Smith and Boldin.

Users who are viewing this thread