What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews Dynasty Value (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, it's "fairly common knowledge" that Ryan Mathews frequents bars and nightclubs "even at times and dates that show questionable judgment."
Mathews was not arrested as originally reported by Examiner.com early Monday, but he's no stranger to the nightclub scene, from which U-T San Diego columnist and longtime Chargers beat reporter Kevin Acee believes Mathews needs a "wakeup" call. Mathews has been perhaps the NFL's most disappointing player since the Chargers traded up for him at 12th overall in the 2010 draft.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Really?

That's a huge stretch Rotoworld.

Having said that, it would be nice if this guy would get serious. This isn't the first time I've heard rumblings about his work ethic and desire.
From a fantasy perspective, I don't know if it's that big a stretch, no homo.

Rotoworld:

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, it's "fairly common knowledge" that Ryan Mathews frequents bars and nightclubs "even at times and dates that show questionable judgment."
Mathews was not arrested as originally reported by Examiner.com early Monday, but he's no stranger to the nightclub scene, from which U-T San Diego columnist and longtime Chargers beat reporter Kevin Acee believes Mathews needs a "wakeup" call. Mathews has been perhaps the NFL's most disappointing player since the Chargers traded up for him at 12th overall in the 2010 draft.

Really?

That's a huge stretch Rotoworld.

Having said that, it would be nice if this guy would get serious. This isn't the first time I've heard rumblings about his work ethic and desire.
From a fantasy perspective, I don't know if it's that big a stretch, no homo.
"Most disappointing player in the NFL" is hyperbole.

Mathews hasn't been anything amazing, but he did have a top 10 RB season in 2011.

That's one more than the likes of Felix Jones, Beanie Wells, Donald Brown, and Knowshon Moreno will ever have.

All the same, 800 rushing yards per season, 4.4 career YPC, and 35+ catches per year is not worthy of "most disappointing player in the NFL" moniker.

Seriously. Tebow was a first round pick in that draft and he's barely clinging to a roster spot.

There are busts and then there are BUSTS. I'm sure there are much bigger dogs from that draft than Mathews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathews does kind of get unfairly labeled some kind of monster mega bust.

The games he actually has played in he has done enough to not be a weakness. And he did have one solid season.

Clearly he has lost a ton of value and has not performed to his draft status in either FF or the real NFL, but he isn't Ryan Leaf people.

He was following in LT's footsteps. He has been a mega bust considering. Compounded with the fact that they traded up for him doesn't help.

EBF said:
"Most disappointing player in the NFL" is hyperbole.Mathews hasn't been anything amazing, but he did have a top 10 RB season in 2011.

That's one more than the likes of Felix Jones, Beanie Wells, Donald Brown, and Knowshon Moreno will ever have.
In just 14 games! He was averaging 110 YFS without third downs.

He's just one season removed from that. And last year was rock bottom for the entire SD offense, which I think Norv/AJ should be blamed for, but people act like each player just became garbage - Rivers, Gates, Mathews - coincidentally in the same season and it is reflected in each guy's ADP. In the last 3 years the SD offense went from 2nd in points to 5th to 20th. In terms of yards they went from 1st to 6th to 31st. I think I'll have Mathews in every single league this year. People are way overreacting to a coach losing a team. If McCoy can revitalize this team to even half of what it was in 2011, Rivers and Mathews will each be a steal (QB19, RB24). Buy low, gentlemen, buy low.

Mike McCoy: Ryan Mathews 'the guy' for ChargersBy Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

CULVER CITY, Calif. -- Mike McCoy inherited starting running back Ryan Mathews when McCoy took the job as coach of the San Diego Chargers. During the offseason, the team signed Danny Woodhead and brought back veteran Ronnie Brown.

It's easy to see those moves as a reflection of Mathews. The first-round draft pick in the 2011 NFL Draft has shown flashes of excellent play, but rarely has it been sustained. In a conversation with Around The League on Monday, McCoy said that the running back moves had "nothing to do" with Mathews' shortcomings. It was about building depth behind Mathews.

McCoy's expectations for Mathews are clear: "To have a great year and be the guy."

The former Denver Broncos offensive coordinator prefers to get multiple backs involved in the offseason, dating back to his days as a coach under John Fox with the Carolina Panthers. But there's always a lead back in these scenarios and role players filling out the rest of the snaps.

This might be Mathews' last chance to be the guy, but he's going to get a fair shot with the new coaching staff.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

"Most disappointing player in the NFL" is hyperbole.Mathews hasn't been anything amazing, but he did have a top 10 RB season in 2011.

He's just one season removed from that. And last year was rock bottom for the entire SD offense, which I think Norv/AJ should be blamed for, but people act like each player just became garbage - Rivers, Gates, Mathews - coincidentally in the same season and it is reflected in each guy's ADP. In the last 3 years the SD offense went from 2nd in points to 5th to 20th. In terms of yards they went from 1st to 6th to 31st. I think I'll have Mathews in every single league this year. People are way overreacting to a coach losing a team. If McCoy can revitalize this team to even half of what it was in 2011, Rivers and Mathews will each be a steal (QB19, RB24). Buy low, gentlemen, buy low.
I kind of agree with this. I mean, I don't trust Mathews either, but this is a guy who was a consensus first round pick in FF leagues as recently as a year ago, and that was based not only on projected talent, but actually fantasy performances. I wouldn't go into a draft targeting him, but if he fell to me, I'd be happy to take the risk.

I kind of agree with this. I mean, I don't trust Mathews either, but this is a guy who was a consensus first round pick in FF leagues as recently as a year ago, and that was based not only on projected talent, but actually fantasy performances. I wouldn't go into a draft targeting him, but if he fell to me, I'd be happy to take the risk.
Depending on how invested the owner is, I am starting to think Mathews is reaching buy-low status. This time last year, the hype was out of control (comparable to the Lamar Miller and David Wilson this year), and there was no touching Mathews at that price. It seems there's been a backalsh to the extent that now he may be had for a reasonable price.

Depending on how invested the owner is, I am starting to think Mathews is reaching buy-low status. This time last year, the hype was out of control (comparable to the Lamar Miller and David Wilson this year), and there was no touching Mathews at that price. It seems there's been a backalsh to the extent that now he may be had for a reasonable price.
This time last year Mathews was a first round pick because he'd just put up a RB7 season on 14 games without third down duties or goal line carries and Tolbert had just signed with Carolina. The stars were finally aligning for him. Then he broke his collar bone in August and he fell to the third round. Then he got healthy and joined a SD offense that finished 31st in yards after finishing 2nd just two years before. Norv/AJ killed that team.

This time last year Mathews was a first round pick because he'd just put up a RB7 season on 14 games without third down duties or goal line carries and Tolbert had just signed with Carolina. The stars were finally aligning for him. Then he broke his collar bone in August and he fell to the third round. Then he got healthy and joined a SD offense that finished 31st in yards after finishing 2nd just two years before. Norv/AJ killed that team.
All well and good but when you're drafted 12th overall you are supposed to take over games. Put AP on that team and he still gets 1500 yards.

All well and good but when you're drafted 12th overall you are supposed to take over games. Put AP on that team and he still gets 1500 yards.
Put the best RB in the world on any team and he gets 1500 yards, that proves nothing.

meyerj31 said:
I'm not saying that Mathews = AP, but that is a funny comparison you made since both Mathews and AP have missed time due to a high ankle sprain and broken clavicle. The only difference was that AP did it in college so no one here has a clue. Thus, AP is labelled injury-proof while Mathews is injury-prone.

Just got rights to Matthews essentially as a throw in an IDP deal in my dynasty league and the owner has had him on the trading block all offseason. Can be had for SUPER cheap.

"opportunity" can't be overstated when looking at Mathews...what are they going to do, grind it out with Ronnie Brown? Woodhead will take some passes in PPR, but I also think he will show he was a somewhat a product of the system in NE...a system that SD can't replicate. We have seen trash like Gary Brown and Maurice Smith put up numbers in the past with opportunity, and given health, they couldn't hold Mathews' jock strap talent-wise. He may not rip it up, but where he is going in redrafts, all you need is 175 points in PPR, and you have a good value.

I'm not saying that Mathews = AP, but that is a funny comparison you made since both Mathews and AP have missed time due to a high ankle sprain and broken clavicle. The only difference was that AP did it in college so no one here has a clue. Thus, AP is labelled injury-proof while Mathews is injury-prone.
there is not many rbs that are injury proof if I remember ap tore his acl in 2011.. also broke his collar bone in 06 sprained his ankle in 09

Let's not use draft status to knock Mathews. He was probably a reach, but they needed a RB and they wanted the #1. He could have easily fell to round 2 like Ben Tate.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mathews said he believes he can be a "top-five back."
Mathews has been a major disappointment since the Chargers traded up to draft him with the 12th overall pick and was limited to 12 games last season due to a broken collarbone. He's entering a make-or-break year in 2013. "I think I can be up with the best of them," Mathews said. "I just have to be consistent. That's the main thing, to be consistent with my play."

Source: CBSSports.com

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mathews arrived at Chargers camp weighing ten pounds fewer than his 2012 reporting weight.
"That’s one thing I wanted to focus on," said Mathews. "Losing the weight and not being so bulky. I feel quicker, and I feel faster ... I feel healthy. Last year, coming out of the first practice, my legs were tired. Not today." Mathews also defended him self against offseason reports he parties too much. "I don’t go out every night," he said. "Yeah, I go out on the weekends when I can in the offseason. I don’t usually go out during the season."

Let's not use draft status to knock Mathews. He was probably a reach, but they needed a RB and they wanted the #1. He could have easily fell to round 2 like Ben Tate.
I wonder what the value of Bent Tate or Toby Gerhardt would have been had they went to San Diego. Was it a case of surroundings or fit? What would Matthews look like playing behind ADP or Foster?

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mathews has been rotating between the first- and second-team offenses so far at Chargers camp, and new coach Mike McCoy says the club will likely employ a running back rotation in 2013.
Mathews, Danny Woodhead, and Ronnie Brown have all seen time with the first team. The situation has serious fantasy headache potential behind one of the NFL's poorest offensive lines. "I’ve been raised with John Fox in this league," said McCoy. "We always played with a couple of backs. It doesn’t matter who’s in there. Keep them fresh. Play the hot hand while you roll."

Source: FOX Sports

So even if they're rotating, do we believe Woodhead is going to hold up under the load? Seems to me like Mathews would still be ticketed for 15+ carries and a handful of receptions per week, no?

So even if they're rotating, do we believe Woodhead is going to hold up under the load? Seems to me like Mathews would still be ticketed for 15+ carries and a handful of receptions per week, no?
I cant see 240 carries and 40+ catches for Mathews. Possible I GUESS, but I don't see it.

I am holding out hope he can put up 200 in PPR leagues for this year. I would take that easily.

Was Woodhead able to hold up in New England?

Some food for thought:

-Woodhead has had 15 carries one game in four years in the NFL

-He's had more than 10 carries five times

-He did, however rush 1100 times for 8000 yards in Div. II college.

-Woodhead 100 career receptions, avg. 25/yr

-Mathews 111 career receptions, avg. 37/yr

I don't think we can project what how he is going to do if he does get more consistent carries against NFL competition.

Ryan Mathews to share time in Chargers' 'hot-hand' backfield

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Head coach Mike McCoy told Around the League earlier this month that he expects Ryan Mathews to have a "great year" and "be the guy" in the San Diego Chargers' backfield this season.

Has he already changed his mind about Mathews' role?

At the very least, McCoy is ensuring that Mathews' earns the lead-back role through competition. Last year's starter has been rotating with the first and second teams early in training camp.

McCoy explained to Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com that he plans to "play the hot hand," allowing his starter to "tap out for a play or two" if a breather is needed.

"I've been raised with (Denver Broncos head coach) John Fox in this league," McCoy explained. "We always played with a couple of backs. It doesn't matter who's in there. Keep them fresh."

Too much has been made of McCoy's comments in fantasy football circles. Fox employed a timeshare between DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart in Carolina because the talent called for it, but he's also shown no hesitation to saddle up Stephen Davis or Willis McGahee as a workhorse.

Sure, Danny Woodhead will play on third downs and in the two-minute drill because he's simply better than Mathews in obvious passing situations. But it's way too early for hand-wringing over a few second-team reps less than two weeks after McCoy made it clear that he views Mathews as his best runner.

Mathews is still just 26 years old and boasts fresh legs, having never carried the ball more than 222 times in a season. His 2011 game film was as impressive as last year's was underwhelming after missing the majority of August and September. With health as the obvious caveat, Mathews remains a prime candidate for a bounce-back season.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Last edited by a moderator:
This type of usage might be good for his long term viability. He doesn't seem like the type who would be able to stay healthy getting 20 carries per game.

He had a top 10 RB season in 2011 on 222 carries. If he gets 200-250 carries he can be useful as a RB1/RB2.

I'm mostly concerned about Woodhead stealing some of his receiving looks, as catching a few passes every game has been an important part of his FF value to date.

This type of usage might be good for his long term viability. He doesn't seem like the type who would be able to stay healthy getting 20 carries per game.

He had a top 10 RB season in 2011 on 222 carries. If he gets 200-250 carries he can be useful as a RB1/RB2.

I'm mostly concerned about Woodhead stealing some of his receiving looks, as catching a few passes every game has been an important part of his FF value to date.
He averaged 19.4 touches per game in 2011 and 18.6 touches per game in 2012 (19.6 touches per game if you ignore his last game when he got hurt). I realize he hasn't stayed healthy with that workload, but that is 2 seasons worth of play at close to 20 touches per game. I don't think his issues to date prove that he can't maintain this kind of pace this year and beyond.

Rotoworld:

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, the Chargers are "more than hinting" at a switch to a "multi-back system" that's less reliant on Ryan Mathews.
Danny Woodhead is locked in as San Diego's new passing-down back, crushing Mathews' receiving value. Per the U-T San Diego's Chris Jenkins, Woodhead is "already showing signs in camp of being a go-to guy for (Philip) Rivers." Mathews should get most of the early-down carries, but it'll be a dead giveaway to defenses when he's in the game. Behind a terrible offensive line, it's hard to generate excitement about Mathews' bounce-back candidacy in fantasy leagues.

Related: Danny Woodhead

Rotoworld:

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, the Chargers are "more than hinting" at a switch to a "multi-back system" that's less reliant on Ryan Mathews.
Danny Woodhead is locked in as San Diego's new passing-down back, crushing Mathews' receiving value. Per the U-T San Diego's Chris Jenkins, Woodhead is "already showing signs in camp of being a go-to guy for (Philip) Rivers." Mathews should get most of the early-down carries, but it'll be a dead giveaway to defenses when he's in the game. Behind a terrible offensive line, it's hard to generate excitement about Mathews' bounce-back candidacy in fantasy leagues.

God this is stupid. Mathews hasn't been the passing down back, ever. He's not losing that work. He has never had it.

Rotoworld:

God this is stupid. Mathews hasn't been the passing down back, ever. He's not losing that work. He has never had it.
Not only that, but it's a dead giveaway when Woodhead is in the game, not Mathews.

Rotoworld:

Not only that, but it's a dead giveaway when Woodhead is in the game, not Mathews.
Woodhead has a higher career YPC (4.8) than Mathews (4.4).

Rotoworld:

no, your comment is stupid. Way back in 2011 he had 50 catches

Mathews' value is very limited. Losing receptions and doesn't get goal line carries.

I am avoiding him at all costs unless he falls so far that I can justify stashing him just case something happens positivity.

I have low expectations though.

Rotoworld:

Woodhead's YPC on 1st down has dropped each of the last 4 years to a poor 3.7 last year. He's not a better runner than Mathews, period.

Rotoworld:

Change of pace backs and 3rd down backs traditionally have inflated ypc, on top of that Woodhead has been playing is a considerably better offense for his entire career. I'm not sure if you are joking or are actually a slave to stats.

Woodhead's YPC on 1st down has dropped each of the last 4 years to a poor 3.7 last year. He's not a better runner than Mathews, period.
Very true. PLus, a 7 yard run on 3rd and 14 looks good in the stats........................but it's nothing more than inflating the average of an average runner.

Users who are viewing this thread