What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews Dynasty Value (2 Viewers)

His value in the words of the Beastie Boys has just taken a "Drrrooooop"
While I enjoy the BB reference, I'm not seeing any drop in value. This is rotoworld hot take is based on this meaningless quote: "I think it could be a little bit of a running back by committee." Every team in the NFL is at least "a little bit" of an RBBC. This is not a newsworthy quote, but rotoworld must have a quota to make or something.

While I enjoy the BB reference, I'm not seeing any drop in value. This is rotoworld hot take is based on this meaningless quote: "I think it could be a little bit of a running back by committee." Every team in the NFL is at least "a little bit" of an RBBC. This is not a newsworthy quote, but rotoworld must have a quota to make or something.
Assuming health, I'm projecting (VERY EARLY, at this point) Mathews to get about 250 touches (rush+rec), with a/b 1250 YFS & 8-9 TDs.  That would make him probably a high-end RB2 (non-PPR). 

Those rough projections are, IMO, (again, assuming health) closer to his floor than his ceiling.

Don't be a sucker.  Sproles and Smallwood are a danger to each other,  not Mathews.  

Only guy you don't want to see on an Eagles broadcast is Dr. James Andrews. 

so the words rbbc get thrown around and his value stays the same? cmon guys thats not how the world works.

so the words rbbc get thrown around and his value stays the same? cmon guys thats not how the world works.
His value goes down for Mathews owners that were excited that Murray was gone,  so that Mathews could finally become the 25 carry stud they knew he could be.

Mathews owners that have an Internet connection,  and have seen him play,  are thinking, "Oh!  Smallwood gonna get some work? Sweet. Maybe my guy will last until November now."

Unless you have some links to people talking about Mathews the workhorse,  I dunno who is dropping him in their rankings. 

Assuming health, I'm projecting (VERY EARLY, at this point) Mathews to get about 250 touches (rush+rec), with a/b 1250 YFS & 8-9 TDs.  That would make him probably a high-end RB2 (non-PPR). 

Those rough projections are, IMO, (again, assuming health) closer to his floor than his ceiling.
Agreed. That's a pretty safe assumption for 16 games.

That's exactly how the world works, if you were already expecting a RBBC.

Since almost all teams utilize RBBC anymore, it made more sense to assume that Mathews would be part of a RBBC than to assume that a RB who has never had more than 63% of his teams' RB carries in a single season would suddenly be one of the few RBs to be a "bell-cow" in 2016.

FF Ninja said:
Agreed. That's a pretty safe assumption for 16 games.
I'm not sure 8-9 TDs is "safe" since it would be a career high. (Though I understand he had 7 last season in limited touches.)

I'm not sure 8-9 TDs is "safe" since it would be a career high. (Though I understand he had 7 last season in limited touches.)
I was mainly thinking of 250 touches, but yeah, as the goal line back, 8-9 TDs should be relatively safe given the potential for that offense. I recognize he's never had a ton of rushing TDs in a single season, but he's never had more than 7 goal line carries in a season. In fact, he didn't get a single carry inside the 5 during the entirety of his 2012 and 2014 seasons. He should easily set a career high in goal line carries this year.

Just looked this up, so I figured I'd share my findings:

Over his career, Mathews has amassed 1029 regular season carries. Only 23 of them have been inside the 5. He has scored 12 TDs on those 23 carries.

During Mathews' rookie year, Tolbert had 18 carries inside the 5 for 10 TDs. Tolbert has 28 career goal line TDs on 72 carries (39%).

Zach Berman ✔@ZBerm

Eagles placed RB Ryan Mathews Non-Football Injury List. He injured his ankle last week while training. RBs already thin.

2:44 PM - 27 Jul 2016

Zach Berman ✔@ZBerm

Eagles placed RB Ryan Mathews Non-Football Injury List. He injured his ankle last week while training. RBs already thin.

2:44 PM - 27 Jul 2016
Yeesh, not good. July is pretty much the players time off so this year he actually got hurt on vacation?

There was a reason I predicted last year to be his best year and he was more efficient than ever before, highest yards/carry and TD/carry and TD/rec of his career. This is a guy that just screams to be part of a two back RBBC. There's a reason he's averaged ~172 carries/season and it's not because every coaching staff hates him and are playing inferior players because screwing you fantasy team is more important than the coach keeping his job.

Really wish he was sharing time with Duke Johnson in CLE or a similar situation. If they try giving this guy 15+ carries every game I predict the over/under at 6 games before the wheels come off. 

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said Ryan Mathews is dealing with a "pretty significant knee" injury which "could linger."
Mathews was not able to practice at all this week after picking up an MCL sprain against the Seahawks. Considering his injury history and the nature of the issue, it would not be surprising if he misses multiple games. Wendell Smallwood will be a borderline RB2 this week and could hold the early-down job for several games. He needs to be owned in all leagues.

Source: Zach Berman on Twitter 
Nov 26 - 11:10 AM

The Eagles are expected to release Ryan Mathews following the addition of LeGarrette Blount.

They likely won't do so until Mathews is healthy after suffering a neck injury late last season. Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski has been saying for months that Mathews is a goner, so this doesn't come as a shock. Mathews is coming off neck surgery and may not be healthy for another couple of months. Like Blount, Mathews is up there in age and will turn 30 later this year in October.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
May 17 - 11:11 AM

The Eagles can avoid paying Ryan Mathews (neck surgery) an injury settlement by waiting until he's medically cleared to release him.

It's the only reason why Mathews hasn't been released yet. Were Mathews cut today, the Eagles would be forced to pay him a $1.15 million Injury Protection Benefit. Beat writer Jimmy Kempski believes the Eagles would have already released Mathews if there were no NFL salary cap. As is, the Eagles rank 29th in available cap space ($6.08 million) and are therefore waiting for Mathews' clearance from neck surgery to wipe his full $4 million salary off the books.

Source: Philly Voice

Jul 3 - 3:50 PM

Any chance this guy gets signed to a team this year? Seems like they could use him in Arizona, Denver, Baltimore, Seattle, and NYG are among teams that could use him. 

Just wondering if he's worth a preemptive strike off the WW as speculation this week if you have a spot on your roster to stash in in the event he does get signed

Any chance this guy gets signed to a team this year? Seems like they could use him in Arizona, Denver, Baltimore, Seattle, and NYG are among teams that could use him. 

Just wondering if he's worth a preemptive strike off the WW as speculation this week if you have a spot on your roster to stash in in the event he does get signed
Denver and Seattle dont really need rbs

Users who are viewing this thread