What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Broyles (1 Viewer)

I'd wait at least one more week yet and see how it unfolds. He will most likely be limited yet and will be worked in as the season progresses.

I'd wait at least one more week yet and see how it unfolds. He will most likely be limited yet and will be worked in as the season progresses.
So you recommend waiting until he blows up, making it impossible to get him off the WW. Good advice :rolleyes:

Shark move is to get him before he blows up.

Doubledown may be speaking from the perspective of someone who already owns Broyles. I've had him stashed since the draft and am eager to see if he gets worked in this weekend, but I wouldn't start him yet. If he's on your wire and you have someone pretty low-rent whom you can drop, then yeah, I'd call him a good preemptive pickup.

So you recommend waiting until he blows up, making it impossible to get him off the WW. Good advice :rolleyes:

What's with the attitude? You asked if anyone liked him this weekend- he gave a legitimate answer.

What's with the attitude? You asked if anyone liked him this weekend- he gave a legitimate answer.
No kidding, your post was very vague. Do you mean start him, trade for him, or pick him up off waivers. If you mean start him, his answer is perfect, if you mean trade for him or pick him up then you should probably do it this week if you really want him.

Q&A with Ryan Broyles

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions receiver Ryan Broyles has yet to play this season as he recovers from a torn ACL.

But all signs indicate he's likely to be activated for his first action Sunday against Washington. That's a timely return for Broyles, as starting receiver Patrick Edwards isn't expected to play with an injured ankle.

MLive caught up with Broyles ahead of his expected debut for this week's Q&A, where he talks his knee, his wife, his high-school stalking and the one question he never wants to hear again:

MLive: Besides the paychecks, what's the coolest thing about being in the NFL?

Ryan Broyles: It's been a lifelong dream for a lot of guys in here, so that's probably the coolest thing. Making it to this level, being able to compete against the best.

MLive: That's kind of boring. You're going to have to do better.

Broyles: Well, I can take some nice vacations. I want to travel the world with my wife, so we got some vacations planned.

MLive: What's the coolest place you guys have been?

We've been to Europe. Went to Rome, went to Paris for our honeymoon. This coming year we're going to China. We're going to Beijing and Shanghai and Hong Kong. We've been to Florence. It was cool going to Paris.

MLive: Do you speak any foreign languages?

Broyles: When I get there I like to try to learn. So I've been to Haiti a few times and can speak a little Creole. Once you leave it, though, it goes away. But when you go back, it kind of comes back. I can understand some words.

MLive: What's something you can say in Creole?

Broyles: "Sak pasé." That's "what's up." That's one way to start a conversation.

MLive: What's the coolest road trip you've made so far for the NFL?

Broyles: Well we don't get to see much. We're kind of in and out. But when we went to Philadelphia last year, drivin' in, there was just a vibe that I liked. Kind of an older feel, the buildings were just beautiful to me. We usually stay in the heart of cities, so there's restaurants around. So everywhere we go, we try to go out.

MLive: I think fans romanticize a lot about life on the road as a pro athlete, but it does seem like you guys are in and out pretty quick. What's it like on the team plane?

Broyles: We bus into the back of the airport -- which is probably the coolest thing, because we don't have to go inside. We just hop on the plane, get some nice food and find our place on the plane. Subway sandwiches. If it's the morning time, we get breakfast burritos and good stuff like that. Got the chips and the candy bars. It's a good setup.

MLive: Where do you sit?

Broyles: You know how in school, you always kind of go to the same seat? It's kind of like that. It's the same thing on the plane. I sit by (linebacker) Travis Lewis.

MLive: What's the funniest thing that's happened on a team plane?

Broyles: On the way there, it's pretty low-key. Like I said, it's a business trip. But after, if we win, guys are dancing and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. We got some crazy guys -- (safety) Louis Delmas is probably the craziest guy.

MLive: I can see that.

Broyles: He has no censor man.

MLive: I don't want to know what that means. How about, what's your favorite pickup line?

Broyles: [laughing] You must be tired -- you been runnin' through my mind all day.

MLive: That's actually worked?

Broyles: Nah, man. I'm not that kind of guy. I don't have that kind of imagination, but I've heard some corny stuff out there. And I think the corny stuff works.

MLive: Your wife's name is Mary Beth, right? What was your guys' first date?

Broyles: Man, I was 16 years old. This was a long time ago. I don't think we've had a first date, really. I would just go to her house the first couple weeks and feel things out, especially at that age.

MLive: I bet you were chaperoned.

Broyles: You kidding? Of course. You're in the living room with the parents and brothers. They liked me though.

When I met her, that was my first, like, 'I cannot let her go.' I was 16 at the time. I always knew I'd never had that feeling with anyone from the first time I saw her. I kind of stalked her for a couple weeks. So I felt like I actually knew her before I actually knew her. We joke around about that story all the time.

MLive: What story's that?

Broyles: Well I used to stalk her -- like, for real. I was an office aide, I was a junior and she was a freshman, and whenever I saw the class number I knew she was in there. That was second hour, and I went in there every day (to deliver messages). It never failed. My heart melted every time I went in there -- I'd be, like, shaking going in there. I'd glance at her, then give the teacher the pass.

MLive: So you were basically coming up with excuses to stalk her?

Broyles: Well the office ladies knew I liked her, so when they said the class number, I'd always get it.

MLive: If there was a zombie apocalypse, which teammate would you want to help fight off the dead?

Broyles: Rodney (Austin), man. He's a beast. He's on the scout team, but if he was in a game, he'd run everybody over. He's not scared of anybody. He's just not scared of anything. He's the one who starts us on offense. He's the one who says the cadence. He brings the energy.

MLive: C.J. Mosley said last week that Rodney would win the team hot dog eating contest too, so at least you'd have that going for you guys.

Broyles: No doubt. Rodney would win, too.

MLive: If you could trade in your football talents for any other talent, what would it be?

Broyles: You know what, I'd want to trade with a successful businessman. That really intrigues me -- the finance field. I've done a lot of research, read some books. Some people don't like Donald Trump, but I think what he came with, what he had, and what he's built it to now, I think that shows the kind of drive he has. So a guy like that, with that kind of drive, it might not always be for good reasons, but to have his drive would be cool.

I want to go back to business school. Go back to OU and go into business. I actually started out going into business, but football just took my life, so I couldn't really do both of those at the same time. It's definitely something I want to get into.

MLive: Got a million-dollar idea?

Broyles: I've got a couple app ideas.

MLive: Like?

Broyles: Why would I tell you that?

MLive: I'm paid to try.

Broyles: I know man. The thing is, think about Twitter for instance. It launched in 2005, nobody was really on it. Then it got like one popular person to do it, and now everyone has it. With the position we're in ... if someone like Calvin Johnson touches it, it's like gold and everyone gravitates to it. Maybe something like that would be cool.

MLive: You've been a star your whole life, and answered a million questions along the way. What's the one question you're sick of hearing from dudes like me?

Broyles: 'What percent are you?' With my knee, you know. That's been the story ever since I made it to the league. And man, I'm out here practicing every day, you know? I love this sport. I'd play at 50 percent, I'd play at 30 percent. That's just the question. You see me out at practice. I've gotten it probably 1,000 times.

MLive: So, what percent are you?

Broyles: [shakes head]

jah77 said:
According to the Detroit News, "there will be no leash" on Ryan Broyles (knees) this week.

Broyles was on a pitch count in Week 3 as he made his season debut, seeing just 17 snaps. But with Nate Burleson (arm) out and Patrick Edwards (ankle) in doubt, the Lions can't afford any kind of snap limitations against the Bears Sunday. Barring any setbacks, Broyles is going to play in all three-wide sets as the slot receiver -- giving him plenty of PPR upside. "I am definitely ready. I feel good," he said.
Have to remember to put this in Pickles' "phrases that need to be retired" thread.

To the topic, I've always loved this kid and I'm starting him this week without hesitation. I have Stafford in the same league. :excited:

jah77 said:
According to the Detroit News, "there will be no leash" on Ryan Broyles (knees) this week.

Broyles was on a pitch count in Week 3 as he made his season debut, seeing just 17 snaps. But with Nate Burleson (arm) out and Patrick Edwards (ankle) in doubt, the Lions can't afford any kind of snap limitations against the Bears Sunday. Barring any setbacks, Broyles is going to play in all three-wide sets as the slot receiver -- giving him plenty of PPR upside. "I am definitely ready. I feel good," he said.
Have to remember to put this in Pickles' "phrases that need to be retired" thread.

To the topic, I've always loved this kid and I'm starting him this week without hesitation. I have Stafford in the same league. :excited:
Ditto.

With Jordy out I'm starting Broyles over Tavon and not looking back. Owning this guy is gonna feel like owning Kevin Smith though - holding your breath every time he's in the game.

jah77 said:

Ditto.

With Jordy out I'm starting Broyles over Tavon and not looking back. Owning this guy is gonna feel like owning Kevin Smith though - holding your breath every time he's in the game.
or reggie bush :unsure:

Do you think Broyles just isn't a 100% or is it how DET is using him (as a decoy)?? I just don't get it.
He's not 100%. Word from preseason was he had to take alternating days off from practice to rest his knee(s?), but noone spoke about it publicly.

Now DET just picked up Ogletree and are giving Kris Durham snaps (only 4 targets tho). Last week seemed like Pettigrew got some extra targets (7 targets).

I know the FBG staff keeps touting him. I'm not sure what is going on with him though. You'd think with no Megatron and Burleson he would have a big day and get more looks then he is getting. Anyone watch the film/game to see what is up with him? He only dropped in the draft cause of the knee injury. He would've been like a 1st or 2nd Rnd Pick easy I would think (from what I read.)

2 for 27 with no Calvin and against a soft GB pass defense? Yeah, perfectly fine to cut bait if you need the roster space. Some guys tease you with their college film or they flash in an NFL game or two, but they can never put it together consistently. He still might have a good career but I don't have the luxury of waiting for him to develop in redrafts.

Linehan hasn't been giving Broyles a full workload and believes he is now ready for it.

I'm snatching him off the wire in case this turns into something good. He got less than 50% of the snaps last weekend and it seems as though if mega comes back he'll be able to get open.

Maybe a lot of owners gave up on him too early?

He would be the #2 in a pretty good offense and worth a stash at least for this week in ppr.

Thoughts?

radio said he will be getting a full load this week, however he looks like damaged goods to me
Alot of people say this, I need to watch and see.

Broyles had some of the best hands of any prospect ever and hasn't really been able to get the rest of his game to translate to the NFL. Obviously some of this is his fault and I don't want to shirk the blame too much here, but some has to go onto the Lions WRs coach. I know the terrible history of OU receivers in the NFL, but a good NFL WR coach should have been able to make something here. This is a guy that a few years ago you wouldn't bet against being able to catch a marble thrown from Bradford.

If there's any decent speed left, I hope the other NFL GMs consider making trade offers for him and/or Schwartz has a chat with his WR coach. He should be a 70-80 catch NFL WR at this point. Injuries I understand, but with a fine attitude and praised work ethic, with that much ability, there should be better results.

I'm afraid what BSS said is true and he's just damaged goods now. I gotta watch a Lions game.

I don't really think that, from a FF standpoint, any judgement on him has been relevant. He's not been working a full load and has been getting eased back in - not fair terms to judge what he can do really.

This slow progression back into the team is ideal for his possible future fitness. If you don't have to rush someone back in at the deep end and can let their body re adjust with a solid and gradual base, then why do it ?

Whether Calvin is for or not, imo, Broyles will start to put up better numbers every week if he can remain free of injury

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

According to Lions coach Jim Schwartz, Ryan Broyles' "initial" diagnosis is a ruptured right Achilles' tendon.
It's an absolutely brutal break for one of football's most unlucky players, and will not only end Broyles' season, but quite likely cloud his career. Broyles was already having significant difficulty getting back to 100 percent coming off his torn right ACL, and tore his left ACL his senior year of college. Three explosion-sapping injuries might be too much to overcome for a 5-foot-10 receiver. At the very least, we'd expect Broyles to begin 2014 on the PUP list, and quite possibly miss the entire season.

Source: Tim Twentyman on Twitter

Terrible news. Wish Ryan the best, and I thank him for his play at OU. At least there he did some amazing things.

What is the Dynasty play here? Not sure I can continue to carry him for another year. 2 ACL's and Achillies going to be a rough road back, again?

Rotoworld:

The Lions confirmed Ryan Broyles has a torn right Achilles' tendon and will undergo surgery on Tuesday.
He'll be placed on injured reserve shortly. Kris Durham is now locked in as the Lions' No. 2 receiver, with Kevin Ogletree and Jeremy Ross behind him.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Broyles (Achilles', injured reserve) vows to continue his playing career in 2014.
Broyles has torn his left ACL, right ACL, and left Achilles' over the past three seasons. "I’ve got great football left in me," he insists. "I’m 25 years old right now and I see receivers playing 'til they're 34. I just got to take it a day at a time. I’ve just got to heal up. I’ve got to get on the field when I’m 100 percent healthy. And I have not played one down in the NFL yet healthy." Broyles is just barely worth rostering in deep Dynasty leagues.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Rotoworld:

Lions WR Ryan Broyles (Achilles') recently began "running, cutting, jumping," and rebuilding his left calf muscle.
Broyles tore his left ACL at Oklahoma, his right ACL as a rookie in 2012, and his left Achilles' tendon in October of last year. He began jogging two weeks ago and seems upbeat despite the latest hard-luck setback. "Every day I'm getting stronger," Broyles said. "I'm four months out and can't wait to see where I'll be 10 months out. Right now I'm happy with my progress." Lions.com believes there's a "real chance" Broyles will open 2014 on the PUP list.

Source: detroitlions.com

Rotoworld:

Lions GM Martin Mayhew was hesitant when asked if he can rely on Ryan Broyles (Achilles').
Broyles' injury history should give the Lions plenty of pause. He's torn each of his ACLs and his Achilles' tendon in the last 2 1/2 years. Couple that with the release of Nate Burleson, and we have a team in desperate need of help for Calvin Johnson. Mayhew is fully expected to attack the wideout position in both free agency and the draft.

Source: MLive.com

Ryan Broyles cleared for offseason workoutsPosted by Josh Alper on April 9, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT

The buzz around the Lions right now is that they are interested in a potential trade that would bump them high enough up the draft board to select Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins in the first round of the draft.

While they have been contemplating that move and signing Golden Tate, another receiver has been working to make his way back to the field after a torn Achilles tendon. Ryan Broyles has been making good progress on that front as Kyle Meinke of MLive.com reports that Broyles has been cleared to take part in the team’s offseason conditioning program.

There’s a long way to go between offseason conditioning and a role in the fall, but it’s a step forward that Broyles needs to make if he wants a role on the team come next season. With two torn ACLs and the Achilles injury in his past, the Lions have every reason to be concerned about Broyles’ ability to stay healthy for the long term.

That will almost certainly lead them to address the position one way or another come May, leaving Broyles with a month to try to influence things in a direction that offers him a better shot at playing time.

Rotoworld:

Lions GM Martin Mayhew said at his pre-draft press conference that he hasn't thrown in the towel on third-year WR Ryan Broyles.
Broyles has torn his Achilles' tendon and both ACLs since his senior year at Oklahoma. He continues to prove a remarkable healer, participating in 2014 pre-draft workouts. "I believe in him," Mayhew insisted of Broyles. "I’m not going to build the whole offense around him, but I believe in that man." Broyles turned 26 last month. He has roughly WR6 value in deep Dynasty leagues.

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter

Thanks for the updates Faust. Hoping Broyles can make a go of this properly now, it would be a great comeback story for what seems like a hard working and committed player with a great attitude.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Broyles (Achilles') says he is not limited in any way.
Bryoles has torn both of his ACLs and his Achilles' tendon since his senior year at Oklahoma. Still, he's remarkably fighting for a roster spot and has been participating in offseason work since April. We'll find out if Broyles' legs are NFL-ready once training camp rolls around.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Broyles - WR - Lions

According to the Detroit Free Press, third-year WR Ryan Broyles is "not as explosive" as he was before tearing both of his ACLs, and his Achilles'.

This is to be expected. Whether Broyles regains his college burst is totally up in the air, but beat writer Dave Birkett hints Broyles may still have the inside track on the Lions' No. 3 receiver job, ahead of Kris Durham and return man Jeremy Ross. Broyles' lead was strengthened following rookie T.J. Jones' shoulder surgery. Broyles is worth a look in particularly deep PPR leagues.

Jun 25 - 8:56 PM

Rotoworld:

Lions GM Martin Mayhew said at his pre-draft press conference that he hasn't thrown in the towel on third-year WR Ryan Broyles.
Broyles has torn his Achilles' tendon and both ACLs since his senior year at Oklahoma. He continues to prove a remarkable healer, participating in 2014 pre-draft workouts. "I believe in him," Mayhew insisted of Broyles. "I’m not going to build the whole offense around him, but I believe in that man." Broyles turned 26 last month. He has roughly WR6 value in deep Dynasty leagues.

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter
whole quote Mayhew is unsurprised that Broyles has made an expedient recovery.

"He's one of the hardest-working guys I've ever seen in terms of rehab," Mayhew said. "He's just outstanding. I'll tell you a quick story. I think it was last year. The guys have a rehab schedule, and he had a thing on his schedule that he was going to be out for a week or so. Unlike anybody ever before that, he called me and said, 'Hey, I'm going to be in Haiti on a mission trip. Is it OK for me to go and do this or should I stay here and rehab?'

"So, that's Ryan Broyles in a nutshell. I believe in him. I'm not going to build a whole offense around him, obviously, but I believe in that man."

Users who are viewing this thread