What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Broyles (2 Viewers)

Scheffler is healthy now and will be all over this week - H back, 2nd TE, slot. Over the last 2 years he actually has a higher target-to-snap count ratio than Calvin.I expect Burleson targets to be spread around to all three players, e.g., 6-8 TOG for Titus and Tony, less for Broyles.Ryan is a good player to monitor for 2013 when his knee is back to full strength.
:goodposting: Coach Schwartz said pretty much THIS on Moving The Chains yesterday. Now all Stafford has to do is start throwing TD's :unsure:

"Do you have Gates?"

No. Not in this league.

I'm "scared" to start rookie Broyles in his first full game against a strong Seattle Pass Defense.

But it would be so much fun to start him and see if he breaks out and causes fantasy heads to turn like Torrey Smith did last year.

I'm "scared" to start rookie Broyles in his first full game against a strong Seattle Pass Defense.But it would be so much fun to start him and see if he breaks out and causes fantasy heads to turn like Torrey Smith did last year.
I'm pretty much stuck with him in the flex position with Aaron H. not boarding the plane. Wish me luck.

I'm "scared" to start rookie Broyles in his first full game against a strong Seattle Pass Defense.But it would be so much fun to start him and see if he breaks out and causes fantasy heads to turn like Torrey Smith did last year.
I'm pretty much stuck with him in the flex position with Aaron H. not boarding the plane. Wish me luck.
Seriously, who expected rookie Doug Martin to lay 200+ yards and 2 TD's on the Minnesota Viking defense last night?Is it so crazy to think that Broyles can 6-8 catches for 70-100 yards and a TD in his second game?

Seriously, who expected rookie Doug Martin to lay 200+ yards and 2 TD's on the Minnesota Viking defense last night?Is it so crazy to think that Broyles can 6-8 catches for 70-100 yards and a TD in his second game?
The Lions just signed a Polish WR that will be splitting time with Broyles.

I'm "scared" to start rookie Broyles in his first full game against a strong Seattle Pass Defense.

But it would be so much fun to start him and see if he breaks out and causes fantasy heads to turn like Torrey Smith did last year.
The Lions just signed a Polish WR that will be splitting time with Broyles.
:lmao: Pretty [sure] Brian Robiskie's dad (former NFL player and coach Terry) is an African-American from New Orleans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compare that projection with post #36 and get back to us.Anything is possible. On any given Sunday...

'ChummyShark said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
'ChummyShark said:

Maybe a good stat line for Broyles became a little more likely...Titus Young was downgraded to questionable with a balky knee. With TY gimpy and the Seahawks throwing everything at Calvin (including the kitchen sink) maybe Broyles will be the release valve for Stafford.
Titus Young (knee) is officially questionable for Week 8 after getting in his third straight limited practice Friday.

It's a downgrade on Week 7, where Young was probable, but he's still in no danger of missing Sunday's tilt with the Seahawks. Although he'll be in for an uptick in snaps in the absence of Nate Burleson, he's not a terribly compelling WR3 against Seattle's elite secondary.

I hope they have confidence in Broyles, enough to give him a fair shot this week.

Many teams have had WR injuries and leaned on the TE(plural here) and pass-catching RB more and that seems very possible in Detroit. I've always thought it's a bad move that takes away the big play and makes the field smaller, but teams do it.

A good case could be made for more Bell and Scheffler and IMO that'd hurt Broyles and Leshoure.

Most NFL teams are best with a standard generic offense that has some frills, most don't do well when OC get overly creative. Alot of Leshoure and some Broyles is the way to go IMO, but...nervous Broyles owner here that needs his FF points to cover for a week.

I think this week is a good spot for him -- trufant is probably the soft spot in the sea pass defense.

this might not be a fair benchmark, but welker was 10/138/1 on 14 targets, although, that's just a day at the office for him.

'Leroy Hoard said:
'ChummyShark said:
Can you flex an RB in there or just WRs?

From RW:

Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan confirmed that Ryan Broyles will see an expanded role in Week 8 against the Seahawks.

With Nate Burleson (leg, injured reserve) out for the season, Broyles is now locked in as the Lions' No. 3 receiver. "I think pretty much Broyles is going to play inside but we use Calvin inside, we’ll use Scheffler," Linehan said. "Really he and Scheffler are in the same position, might use their strengths more, what they do better. So you’ll see that. Maybe some Titus in the slot."

From RW:Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan confirmed that Ryan Broyles will see an expanded role in Week 8 against the Seahawks.With Nate Burleson (leg, injured reserve) out for the season, Broyles is now locked in as the Lions' No. 3 receiver. "I think pretty much Broyles is going to play inside but we use Calvin inside, we'll use Scheffler," Linehan said. "Really he and Scheffler are in the same position, might use their strengths more, what they do better. So you'll see that. Maybe some Titus in the slot."
that doesn't read as confidence in him, but Scheffler and Titus will also be playing his spot. I'd have liked to read that the slot is his. Instead he brought up how even Calvin plays the slot too.In hindsight, it's unrealistic for us FF owners of Broyles to expect the Lions to have confidence in him just yet.My hope is he gets a couple early grabs that makes him the hot hand and keeps him in there. Maybe his college career and camp days at least have the Lions confident that the guy has magnificent hands.Drops in the NFL are so so high. In time, with Calvin and Broyles' hands, the Lions could be a very good offense just in that their WRs actually can catch without dropping the ball so often. Those two could catch a little superball if the QB would throw one.

This thread is starting to look eerily similar to the preseason Titus Young thread when everyone was in love with him and people dismissed Burleson. Even though Young was the clear long-term play, Burleson was ahead of him on the depth chart and the targets received by bouth during the season reflected that.

Now Young has taken Burleson's spot on the depth chart and last week received 2x the targets over Broyles (8-4). It was also clear from the Stafford-Broyles incident that Broyles has yet to fully learn the playbook. Plus Young has a full season of chemistry developed with Stafford to his advantage.

IMO Broyles is the shiny new toy and will see some decent games due to 3-WR sets but Young is the play for redraft just on sheer opportunity.

Of course until the knucklehead factor emerges again.
From what I understand, this "incident" was a case of Broyles missing a last second hand signal from Stafford that caused the issues and not so much a lack of him understanding the playbook. That speaks more to a lack of chemistry and experience than Broyles being slow to pickup the offense which I think would be a bigger issue to overcome when thrown into the fire. A dependable, high percentage target that has a knack for getting open and making plays is exactly what Stafford needs, imo. I like Broyles a lot.
One of the local articles said that Broyles was "in the zone" and didn't even notice Stafford barking at him.
You can't blame Lions receiver Ryan Broyles for the major mistake he made in Monday night's game at Chicago. He is a rookie, after all.

The faux pas came midway through the third quarter when Broyles caught a 16-yard pass. It was the first reception of his career, but Broyles didn't scoop up the ball or try to stash it. He was too focused on helping the Lions try to claw back from a 13-0 hole.

"I was just in the zone," he said Thursday with a smile.

But Broyles learned. One quarter later, in the fourth game of his career, Broyles caught his first touchdown pass.

"I did get the touchdown ball back," he said. "I'm going to take it to the house and frame it up."

That's the way it has gone for Broyles. Some moments are worth framing. Others are entirely forgettable, such as when he failed to get Matthew Stafford's hand signals in a no-huddle drive Monday and got chewed out by the quarterback.

Again, Broyles was in the zone and didn't even notice Stafford barking at him.

"Yeah, people have been saying that," Broyles said. "I was in the zone, man. I knew I messed up, and I was trying to beat myself up. I didn't really see him beating me up.

"But honestly, the more we play together, I'll understand what he wants out of me, and I've just got to keep my eyes on the quarterback more than anything.
Hopefully, he gets more of that out of his system, but I do love his potential.

Anyone rolling with Broyles this week?

Reasons for/against?

For:

Great matchup - Indy allows 5th most FFPA vs WRs, per FBG. All I remember about WR2's vs the Colts was what Alshon Jeffery did to them week 1 but that was a long time ago now.

Young - out of favor, out of the lineup, Schwartz/Linehan won't even say if he will be active

Talent. Talent. Talent.

Stafford.

Last week's results. 10/5/86/0 in regulation, 12/6/126/0 in OT.

Young got scoring opportunities, Broyles should too in the same role except he may be even more willing to line up where his coaches ask him to.

Anyone rolling with Broyles this week?

Reasons for/against?

For:

Great matchup - Indy allows 5th most FFPA vs WRs, per FBG. All I remember about WR2's vs the Colts was what Alshon Jeffery did to them week 1 but that was a long time ago now.

Young - out of favor, out of the lineup, Schwartz/Linehan won't even say if he will be active

Talent. Talent. Talent.

Stafford.

Last week's results. 10/5/86/0 in regulation, 12/6/126/0 in OT.

Young got scoring opportunities, Broyles should too in the same role except he may be even more willing to line up where his coaches ask him to.
I'm starting him as a WR3 this week in two crucial games. One of those two leagues is PPR. I expect some good numbers given the match up. The FBG waiver wire podcast was high on Broyles saying that his numbers last week could've been even higher and he's on a team that's been known to throw a little every now and then.

With DJax out, I'm definitley starting him over Ant Brown and highly considering him over Harvin until I see how that scenario plays itself out.

Dude can straight up ball. Him and T Young arent even on the same level. Its all about Broyles, always has been, always will be. Dude would have been a high pick impact player had he not gotten hurt.

Hes unbelievable with a capital U BABY!!!!!

With Amendola looking iffy, I'm considering dropping my backup QB (Palmer) and picking him up to use as my flex. My other option would be Moreno, but I don't like that Tampa matchup, and I don't know if I trust him just yet. Broyles has a great matchup and appears to have the No. 2 job locked down.

last week he dropped a 12 yard TD then Stafford just overthrew him the next drive on a 80 yard TD and later he broke free deep again but Stafford wasn't looking. in overtime he dropped a pass that was thrown behind him, would have been another nice 15-20 yarder. there was potential for a lot more out there, he definitely looked the part. there is risk here, but there is a lot more potential for really big games than you find in other WR3 types usually

Starting Broyles at WR3 with confidence, started him last week too. My other options are Antonio Brown or Edelman.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Last season at Oklahoma, WR Ryan Broyles tore his left ACL. On Sunday, Broyles tore his right ACL. Beyond unfortunate.

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Titus Young has been a royal pain no doubt but I'm wondering if the Lions have no choice now but to go back to him?
Despite Ryan Broyles' right ACL tear, coach Jim Schwartz confirmed Monday that Titus Young is not under consideration to replace Broyles in the lineup."I certainly believe in second chances," Schwartz allowed. "But you need to make the most of the opportunities you have. In this case, that didn't happen."

Plus, the Lions have to know that, for all intents and purposes, they are out of the playoff picture now at 4-8, so might as well let the other guys play and see which ones might be keepers for next year.

Mike Thomas worth a pickup?
I wouldn't. He did nothing yesterday playing almost a full game and doesn't have the tenure there to develop great chemistry with Stafford and full grasp of the playbook. I'd grab a backup RB before gambling on him.I expect Calvin/Pettigrew/Scheffler to pick up the slack. Prob see Scheffler line out wide a little. Too risky to start here at playoff time IMO.

I'm thinking I won't be able to keep Broyles in my zealots league when we cut back to 40 players in the off season. What a shame. He was one of my favorite rookies at WR this year.

I'm thinking I won't be able to keep Broyles in my zealots league when we cut back to 40 players in the off season. What a shame. He was one of my favorite rookies at WR this year.
How devastating is the 2nd ACl tear to his dynasty ranking? Our waiver wire is pretty thin; I'd be dropping him for the likes of LeStar Jean, Criner, D.Reynaud, or Beasley.

How devastating is the 2nd ACl tear to his dynasty ranking? Our waiver wire is pretty thin; I'd be dropping him for the likes of LeStar Jean, Criner, D.Reynaud, or Beasley.
It's bad news but he's far from droppable. He'll still be a starter when he recovered.

'Craig_MiamiFL said:
'Raiderfan32904 said:
I wouldn't. He did nothing yesterday playing almost a full game and doesn't have the tenure there to develop great chemistry with Stafford and full grasp of the playbook. I'd grab a backup RB before gambling on him.I expect Calvin/Pettigrew/Scheffler to pick up the slack. Prob see Scheffler line out wide a little. Too risky to start here at playoff time IMO.
I was a little disappointed with Thomas yesterday. But, keep in mind, they moved Thomas from the slot to the wide out spot. So, it may take some more time to adjust, or they may move Thomas back inside.

Same here...really was hoping for good things from him. Hope he recovers, but can't keep holding him.

'Craig_MiamiFL said:
'Raiderfan32904 said:
I was a little disappointed with Thomas yesterday. But, keep in mind, they moved Thomas from the slot to the wide out spot. So, it may take some more time to adjust, or they may move Thomas back inside.
Yah I think Thomas is actually a pretty good pickup here. (rest of season)1 they grabbed the guy thinking he was good enough an they wanted him.(so they saw or thought they saw something in him to go get and play him)2 he is actually a pretty darn good player. (yes an "fairly decent" wide-out)3 going into that game yesterday from the weeks practice he wasn't the #2receiver so did not get the reps or the game plan for it, but now I'd believehe will and do much better with the preparation and game plan.So making him the #2 in Detroits Pass Offense going forward could be good.If you're looking for late fantasy season additions I think he is an nice pickup.

It's bad news but he's far from droppable. He'll still be a starter when he recovered.
I'm not sure he will still be a starter. With Burleson hurt, Broyles hurt, Young in the doghouse, this team will probably be looking for a WR opposite Calvin after the season. Broyles is an older rookie and now may be facing a year of rehab. I like the guy but I think his dynasty value makes him a marginal keeper in dynasty.

'Ghost Rider said:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefterLast season at Oklahoma, WR Ryan Broyles tore his left ACL. On Sunday, Broyles tore his right ACL. Beyond unfortunate. :wall: :wall: :wall:
Horrible news, tough break for him that must be extremely frustrating to have to go through. Might not the same player as he was once which is really unfortunate since he has some great upside.Mike Thomas is the play here IMO.

Rotoworld:

The Lions' official site calls Ryan Broyles (ACL surgery) "way ahead of schedule."
Broyles is now seven months removed from his right ACL tear. The Lions are expecting him to participate at some point in training camp and be ready for Week 1. If Broyles is truly 100 percent, he'll be a recommended fantasy sleeper as a talented possession receiver in the Lions' pass-happy offense. The most recent Average Draft Position (ADP) data has Broyles available as late as the 12th and 13th rounds of fantasy football drafts. That's stealing.

Source: detroitlions.com

This bump may be a bit premature, but you don't want to be a week late to this potential train...

So Broyles is ahead of schedule, plays in the preseason, then can't make it out week 1. In redraft, how much longer do you let the all time NCAA receptions leader sit on the waiver wire? Or, for those of us that drafted him late, is he worth the stash during the early season waiver wire frenzy?

Week 1 was a (we thought) healthy (not so much?) scratch...

Week 2 looking gloom so far in early reports...

Does anybody have faith he can overcome BOTH ACLs in such a short period? Historically, has this ever been done with success? Having watch him shine at OU, and then watching him tear his first ACL, I sure am rooting for the guy. He's always seemed like a good kid with his head on his shoulders.

Hopefully Ryan can stay healthy and have a role in this offense THIS year? Pettigrew still isn't panning out, and old man Nate seems ready to give way. Is there anybody than can challenge a healthy Ryan for DET's #2? Or should we expect the RB's to steal all his thunder even once he returns?

Users who are viewing this thread