What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Bush (2 Viewers)

ghostguy123 said:
wdcrob said:
ghostguy123 said:
I just asked about Bush again in a league, and the guy called Bush a "top 5 dynasty back".

Words can't describe my feelings on that, lol
If Schwartz is telling the truth about 80 catches he'll be top five this year at least. Too expensive to buy now IMO.
If Bush stays healthy all year (big if), and if he gets 80 catches (big if), and 200 carries (big if), he could be top 5.

Calling him a top 5 dynasty back is about as silly as it gets. Seriously, people out there can only name FOUR RBs they would take over Bush straight up??

I am doing a redraft league, slow draft, that started a couple days ago. Bush was the 20th RB selected. And that's redraft, not dynasty. I think he did slip a little and probably should been picked before a few guys, but wow.
The workload might be speculative but Bush has been healthy for a couple of years now.
Missed games wise he's been relatively healthy but his knee impacted his play last year. In general his knee remains my big concern.

Could he be a top 5 dynasty back. Sure it's possible. In 2008 Reggie was the #1 RB in PPR leagues after 6 weeks before his knee took him out and I think he's a better runner now. If he can be the pass catcher he was in NO along with what looks like an improved running style there is some valid reasons to think he can be this kind of player again. I'd also add I think this Lions offense is going to be even better for him than the Saints offense he played. That Saints offense had a great QB and a solid #1 WR in Colston but Bush only played with Graham his rookie year. Now he won't be playing with a great QB but a good one and I think the impact of the attention that Calvin receives has the ability to open up things for Reggie to a level he did not see even in New Orleans.

So yea it could happen but that's dependent on his knee and usage and already you have to ding him for being 28. So no way I'd rate him in the top 5 for Dynasty and as much as love the potential the knee and age leave him outside of my top 10. He does crack the top 15 for me but that's a huge value difference between top 5.

ghostguy123 said:
wdcrob said:
ghostguy123 said:
I just asked about Bush again in a league, and the guy called Bush a "top 5 dynasty back".

If Schwartz is telling the truth about 80 catches he'll be top five this year at least. Too expensive to buy now IMO.
If Bush stays healthy all year (big if), and if he gets 80 catches (big if), and 200 carries (big if), he could be top 5.

Calling him a top 5 dynasty back is about as silly as it gets. Seriously, people out there can only name FOUR RBs they would take over Bush straight up??

I am doing a redraft league, slow draft, that started a couple days ago. Bush was the 20th RB selected. And that's redraft, not dynasty. I think he did slip a little and probably should been picked before a few guys, but wow.
The workload might be speculative but Bush has been healthy for a couple of years now.
Missed games wise he's been relatively healthy but his knee impacted his play last year. In general his knee remains my big concern.

Could he be a top 5 dynasty back. Sure it's possible. In 2008 Reggie was the #1 RB in PPR leagues after 6 weeks before his knee took him out and I think he's a better runner now. If he can be the pass catcher he was in NO along with what looks like an improved running style there is some valid reasons to think he can be this kind of player again. I'd also add I think this Lions offense is going to be even better for him than the Saints offense he played. That Saints offense had a great QB and a solid #1 WR in Colston but Bush only played with Graham his rookie year. Now he won't be playing with a great QB but a good one and I think the impact of the attention that Calvin receives has the ability to open up things for Reggie to a level he did not see even in New Orleans.

So yea it could happen but that's dependent on his knee and usage and already you have to ding him for being 28. So no way I'd rate him in the top 5 for Dynasty and as much as love the potential the knee and age leave him outside of my top 10. He does crack the top 15 for me but that's a huge value difference between top 5.
What is your medical experience to assume the bolded statement?

ghostguy123 said:
wdcrob said:
ghostguy123 said:

What is your medical experience to assume the bolded statement?
History is my guide. I don't recall all of his dings but the majority are knee related. In 2007 he missed the last 4 games of the season with a knee injury. When he was the #1 PPR RB in 2008 and got hurt it was his knee. He missed a few games in 2009 due to his knee. When he missed a game in 2011 it was due to a knee. All of these were in fact the same left knee and not the right leg he broke in 2010. He started the first two games this year running for 241 yards, 6.03 YPC and got 9 catches for 49 total touches. Than in week 3 he hurt his knee and/or hip. From that point forward he only ran for 745 more yards the remaining 14 games, dropped to a 3.98 ypa and his total touches dropped to 15.2 per game. Certainly the two game sample size to begin the year is small one but not only did he look less explosive after hurting his knee you could also go back to last season when he averaged over 5 yards per carry. He may say the knee was not bothering him but you never trust what players say.

Bush hurt his knee week 3 and averaged 5.94 YPC in the first three games. After that he only averaged 3.89 YPC the rest of the season. I didn't watch the games but looking at the numbers it seemed like it was affecting him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the fit for Bush and the Lions. :thumbup:
He'll have room to run with Calvin stretching the field and drawing so much attention. Johnson and Bush fit together well.
LOL. Ok, that can't go overlooked.
LOL :lol:
Yes they do.

Reggie is not likely to be a top 5 RB but no reason he can't be around 10 which makes him a possible RB1 which is much better than the RB2-3 he has been hovering around since he started. I mean Best tore it up as a rookie and I think Bush is better than Best.

At the very worst he is better than Bell and LeShoure and will severely limit their touches. Bell may have trouble hitting the field without an injury.

Good move for DET and Bush.

I really like Bush this year as well. I think he'll easily finish top 10 and a good shot a top 5 in a ppr league. He may end up with 60-80 catches this season

Love the fit for Bush and the Lions. :thumbup:
He'll have room to run with Calvin stretching the field and drawing so much attention. Johnson and Bush fit together well.
LOL. Ok, that can't go overlooked.
LOL :lol:
Yes they do.

Reggie is not likely to be a top 5 RB but no reason he can't be around 10 which makes him a possible RB1 which is much better than the RB2-3 he has been hovering around since he started. I mean Best tore it up as a rookie and I think Bush is better than Best.

At the very worst he is better than Bell and LeShoure and will severely limit their touches. Bell may have trouble hitting the field without an injury.

Good move for DET and Bush.
Sounds like he's getting transitioned into Sproles.

Just got him for Mathews in a PPR league. I had Joique Bell last year and he was better than you may think. Reggie in that role sounds delicious.

I think that would be a big mistake, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Why is that a mistake? He would excel in that role.
He should have a much larger role than that, which he would also excel in.
I think the best thing for the Lions just like the Saints with Sproles is to limit the amount of rushes Bush has.

Bush could definitely do well with a lot of rushes as he did in Miami. However, what will make Bush and Detroit more dangerous is when he is healthy and able to catch the ball and be a mismatch. Why risk Bush getting hurt by giving him too many touches running the ball when you can work other guys in. The Saints have figured this out better than anyone. It is not great for fantasy as we all want the bell cow back, but it will make the Lions more dangerous. I am not saying Detroit should only give Bush 50 carries on the season. But I am guessing they should/will limit his touches to 150 rushing attempts to go along with 75 receptions.

They will still pound Leshoure at times and give him the goal line as well.

I think that would be a big mistake, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Why is that a mistake? He would excel in that role.
He should have a much larger role than that, which he would also excel in.
I think the best thing for the Lions just like the Saints with Sproles is to limit the amount of rushes Bush has.

Bush could definitely do well with a lot of rushes as he did in Miami. However, what will make Bush and Detroit more dangerous is when he is healthy and able to catch the ball and be a mismatch. Why risk Bush getting hurt by giving him too many touches running the ball when you can work other guys in. The Saints have figured this out better than anyone. It is not great for fantasy as we all want the bell cow back, but it will make the Lions more dangerous. I am not saying Detroit should only give Bush 50 carries on the season. But I am guessing they should/will limit his touches to 150 rushing attempts to go along with 75 receptions.

They will still pound Leshoure at times and give him the goal line as well.
150 and 75 isn't bad, but that's not how they used Sproles- he only had 48 rushing attempts last season, including 4 games where he didn't get a single carry. Personally, I'd give Reggie around 200 carries to go along with the receptions- I think he's clearly the best RB they have and he stayed pretty healthy the last two seasons with around that many touches.

Bush played in Miami the last two years. He looked like a different player and was pretty good there, iirc. Not sure how his numbers in New Orleans are relevant here.1,382 yards from scrimmage in 2011. 1,278 yards in 2012. 15 total TDs.
But, but artificial turf!
I agree with Shutout above. How do you explain a guy that looked that bad as a RB for how many years in an offense that powerful and then all of the sudden, he plays well and all season? Did he learn how to run in Miami?

I can only think of one major difference between the spots and that being playing surface. The other difference is that the talent around him in NO was much higher and thus the guy should've had more room there than in Miami, so that works against the argument as to how well he played there.

Maybe he found some motivation after being a complete bust for the 2nd overall pick? Maybe he started taking the deer antler stuff? I don't know. But that turn around is almost unprecedented. I can't think of anything else that could've caused it.

I expect Bush to miss at least four games this year. And I expect the guy to be out of the league after next season. Maybe he hangs on as strictly a 3rd down guy, but he has plenty of money from all those endorsements he did before people realized he wasn't any good before was pretty good...

Bush played in Miami the last two years. He looked like a different player and was pretty good there, iirc. Not sure how his numbers in New Orleans are relevant here.1,382 yards from scrimmage in 2011. 1,278 yards in 2012. 15 total TDs.
I agree with Shutout above. How do you explain a guy that looked that bad as a RB for how many years in an offense that powerful and then all of the sudden, he plays well and all season? Did he learn how to run in Miami?

I can only think of one major difference between the spots and that being playing surface. The other difference is that the talent around him in NO was much higher and thus the guy should've had more room there than in Miami, so that works against the argument as to how well he played there.

Maybe he found some motivation after being a complete bust for the 2nd overall pick? Maybe he started taking the deer antler stuff? I don't know. But that turn around is almost unprecedented. I can't think of anything else that could've caused it.

I expect Bush to miss at least four games this year. And I expect the guy to be out of the league after next season. Maybe he hangs on as strictly a 3rd down guy, but he has plenty of money from all those endorsements he did before people realized he wasn't any good before was pretty good...
He wasn't great on turf (in very limited opportunities) in 2012, but in 2011...

ON TURF 88 551 6.3

<- Not at all worried.

When did he stop dating Kim Kardashian?

Only his first 3 seasons in NO was he a poor runner - in his last 2 he averaged 5.1 YPC but didn't get many carries.

I'm not going to predict injury for him but I'm not convinced that he's going to be the every down back he's being made out to be. If they want to have him catch 80 catches I think it's a stretch to also have him run the ball 200 times. The most touches he's had in a season is 262 and now they supposedly want to give him more than that at 28?

Bush for the next year or two will be PPR gold imo.

ROLL UP THE TURF....... going going gone. Reception magnet RB incoming.

*drunkpost

I don't think Sean Payton used him properly and that was proven when Bush was given the opportunity to be the guy in MIA. :shrug:

I agree with Shutout above. How do you explain a guy that looked that bad as a RB for how many years in an offense that powerful and then all of the sudden, he plays well and all season? Did he learn how to run in Miami? I can only think of one major difference between the spots and that being playing surface. The other difference is that the talent around him in NO was much higher and thus the guy should've had more room there than in Miami, so that works against the argument as to how well he played there. Maybe he found some motivation after being a complete bust for the 2nd overall pick? Maybe he started taking the deer antler stuff? I don't know. But that turn around is almost unprecedented. I can't think of anything else that could've caused it. I expect Bush to miss at least four games this year. And I expect the guy to be out of the league after next season. Maybe he hangs on as strictly a 3rd down guy, but he has plenty of money from all those endorsements he did before people realized he wasn't any good before was pretty good...
I think you are underselling his time in New Orleans. Yes, he was a disappointment based on his college hype, but he was not the bust you're making him out to be. He was very effective as a receiver even when he was struggling as a RB and his presence helped open up the offense generally.Also the dramatic difference that you call unprecedented actually started taking place while he was still in New Orleans, once he learned that he couldn't dance around and always look to make big plays at this level, and added a lot more North-South running into his arsenal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77319/receiving-opportunities-for-forte-bush

Receiving opportunities for Forte, Bush
Excerpts:

Reggie Bush's appearance Friday morning on the NFL Network reinforced what should be a fun 2013 trend in at least two sectors of the NFC North: Running backs catching passes. Lots of them.
First, you might recall that Bush caught 88 passes for the New Orleans Saints in 2006, the start of a four-year stretch in which he made 260 receptions. Bush said Friday morning that the Detroit Lions' offense appears set to use him in a way similar to the Saints'.

"It's a lot like what we did in New Orleans," Bush said "It's a lot of spread ... passing. Obviously we can attack downfield, and with the running game. A lot of screens, draws. Just basically everything I did in New Orleans."
So we have two offenses that have supported 88-plus receptions by a running back in previous incarnations. Could Bush or Forte approach that number? Why not?

Related: Bush also appeared Friday morning on ESPN Radio. Here is a link.

The idea that Leshoure could put a dent in Bush's lion's share of the carries (pun intended) is a bit silly to me considering that the Lions have gone on record saying that Bush will be a three-down back, not to mention Leshoure was absolute garbage last year (3rd worst RB in the NFL in term's of estimated points lost for his team...http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=RB).

The idea that Leshoure could put a dent in Bush's lion's share of the carries (pun intended) is a bit silly to me considering that the Lions have gone on record saying that Bush will be a three-down back, not to mention Leshoure was absolute garbage last year (3rd worst RB in the NFL in term's of estimated points lost for his team...http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=RB).
You mean a guy coming off an achilles tear the year before wasn't super effective?? The he-LL you say.

Bush is going to get most of the total work from the RB position, but I think Bush and Leshoure pretty much end up with the same number of rushes for the year. Leshoure probably only gets a dozen catches or so though, with Bush obvioulsy way more than that.

But to say Bush is just gonna go out there and get 300 rushes or whatever plus 75 grabs, sorry, I can't see that at all. I can see them both at about 200 carries

You mean a guy coming off an achilles tear the year before wasn't super effective?? The he-LL you say.

Bush is going to get most of the total work from the RB position, but I think Bush and Leshoure pretty much end up with the same number of rushes for the year. Leshoure probably only gets a dozen catches or so though, with Bush obvioulsy way more than that.

But to say Bush is just gonna go out there and get 300 rushes or whatever plus 75 grabs, sorry, I can't see that at all. I can see them both at about 200 carries
I'd be really surprised to see Detroit run the ball 400 times this year (Bell and Leshoure combined for 297 carries last year). I think 225 for Bush and 75 for Leshoure seems more realistic to me.

That's one way to look at it. I see a team in New Orleans that can't make use of Mark Ingram, can't maximize Pierre Thomas, never allows Sproles to carry the ball despite looking very adequate in doing so, traded their best looking RB in Ivory, and Bush got off this team and instantly was better in Miami. He also went thru 2 offensive systems in 2 years, this will be his 4th different one in 4 seasons, the guy adapts and barring injury he is going to crush it in Detroit. I'm saying you are hanging your BBQ chef's hat on the Saints and I don't think that team is the best at judging what a RB can do elsewhere.

So we have that Bush had a great YPC his last two years with NO, albeit small carry numbers.

We have that Bush was not used effectively in NO and was used properly in MIA.

I can see both of those being valid. But that doesn't explain the injuries. He had great YPC his last two years in NO, but then missed a lot of time due to injury. In MIA he missed very little that I can remember.

Grahamburn said:
Fanatic still doesn't like Reggie Bush? I'll be darned.
I don't dislike the guy. In a way I feel sorry for him. I shouldn't. He's made more than I ever will. But he came in with such hype and isn't as good as Darren Sproles.

What I disliked were all the Reggie lovers that would say, "But did you see the game? He had a wicked spin move that got him 8 yards!"

And I would say, "I did see the game and saw that he finished with a 2.2 YPC, so did you see the game?"

But ESPN was in their hype mode and only showed the big spin move and not the other six carries he had, five of which he lost yardage. And all the REggie lovers were frothing in their man love for the guy. It was so much fun shredding every one of their arguments except of course, "Did you see the game," because clearly I hadn't.

I was pleasantly surprised about his performance in Miami and for the life of me can't explain it. Maybe he wasn't used right in NO. Maybe he figured out to not dance so much and just get positive, ugly yardage. I don't know. But there is no guarantee he will be utilized properly in Detroit. And there is no guarantee that he wond't be injured again a lot playing on turf.

and isn't as good as Darren Sproles.
Reggie Bush 28 years old -- 7 seasons, 6892 yards from scrimmage, 44 TDs

Darren Sproles 30 years old -- 8 seasons, 4778 yards from scrimmage, 34 TDs

Seems like you're penalizing Bush for being good enough to be a full time player. But he 's most likely going to end up with almost twice as many career yards from scrimmage and significantly more TDs.

Grahamburn said:
I don't dislike the guy. In a way I feel sorry for him. I shouldn't. He's made more than I ever will. But he came in with such hype and isn't as good as Darren Sproles.

What I disliked were all the Reggie lovers that would say, "But did you see the game? He had a wicked spin move that got him 8 yards!"

And I would say, "I did see the game and saw that he finished with a 2.2 YPC, so did you see the game?"

But ESPN was in their hype mode and only showed the big spin move and not the other six carries he had, five of which he lost yardage. And all the REggie lovers were frothing in their man love for the guy. It was so much fun shredding every one of their arguments except of course, "Did you see the game," because clearly I hadn't.

I was pleasantly surprised about his performance in Miami and for the life of me can't explain it. Maybe he wasn't used right in NO. Maybe he figured out to not dance so much and just get positive, ugly yardage. I don't know. But there is no guarantee he will be utilized properly in Detroit. And there is no guarantee that he wond't be injured again a lot playing on turf.
You were right for five years. You've been wrong the last two. Let it go.

Reggie Bush wouldn't be the first highly touted running back to struggle with his first team only to go on to be successful with his next one, or two...

Detroit is tailor made for this guy's skillset, and if you don't want to see it you're blinded by your bias.

and isn't as good as Darren Sproles.
Reggie Bush 28 years old -- 7 seasons, 6892 yards from scrimmage, 44 TDs

Darren Sproles 30 years old -- 8 seasons, 4778 yards from scrimmage, 34 TDs

Seems like you're penalizing Bush for being good enough to be a full time player. But he 's most likely going to end up with almost twice as many career yards from scrimmage and significantly more TDs.
Equal number of years since Sproles lost one when he broke his ankle in 2006. He was also stuck behind a 1st ballot HOF except for the last three - what's Bush's excuse?

Grahamburn said:
TheFanatic said:
Grahamburn said:

Reggie Bush wouldn't be the first highly touted running back to struggle with his first team only to go on to be successful with his next one, or two...

Detroit is tailor made for this guy's skillset, and if you don't want to see it you're blinded by your bias.
New Orleans was tailor made for him too. Should've gotten the ball with all kinds of space. But he may not have been used properly.

Is it bias for me to say that Bush had a lot of injuries playing on turf?

I think we've seen enough from NO by now to understand they aren't very adept at utilizing their RB talent. Maybe a better way of saying it is that are consistently under utilizing any single RBs talent. Using them as a baseline for Bush seems silly at this point. Nothing about Det seems to align out her than they are both teams that like to pass the ball.

Bush has had several injuries over the years, mostly all minor dings that have limited him. This is a valid concern as he goes to Det and is expected to see the Lions share of RB touches. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with turf. It's just too difficult to say. It could just be luck, or lack there of.

Grahamburn said:
TheFanatic said:
Grahamburn said:

New Orleans was tailor made for him too. Should've gotten the ball with all kinds of space. But he may not have been used properly.

Throughout Bush's NO career he averaged 5 receptions per game. Last year, Sproles had 4.6 receptions per game, leading the league. Rice was 2nd with 3.8.

Bush had some pretty decent value in PPR leagues even while in NO.

Grahamburn said:
TheFanatic said:
Grahamburn said:

Throughout Bush's NO career he averaged 5 receptions per game. Last year, Sproles had 4.6 receptions per game, leading the league. Rice was 2nd with 3.8.

Bush had some pretty decent value in PPR leagues even while in NO.
His rookie year he rushed for 558 and had 89 receptions for 748. With 8 TDs that's 267 in PPR. Solid RB1 numbers.

I think as we approach the season and the summer moves along, Reggie Bush is going to climb up the ladder. I see no reason why he can't be a top 15 RB this year which makes him an excellent RB2. I think folks were hoping to make him their RB3 but I believe he will make an excellent RB2.

He is going to have several big weeks as long as he is healthy. Defenses cannot key in on him, look what he did in Miami as the only weapon they had last season and a rookie QB. Now Stafford plus Calvin, Bush will be the 2nd best weapon for them on offense which means a lot of touches one way or the other. They can use LeShoure like a battering ram when need be to keep Bush fresh. He is going to be super sick in PPR leagues, it's been a long long time since a RB had 100 receptions, it has happened. Reggie should gobble up 60-80 receptions without even blinking in this offense. No real threat at the WR2 spot, a solid TE to keep defenses honest in the middle, Calvin taking DBs deep with him, Bush is gonna destroy LBs trying to keep up with him.

200 carries 900 yds, 4 TD, 64 receptions, 600 yds, 4 TD His last 2 seasons he has amassed 1,300 total yds and 8 TD a season. I am only calling for a 200 yard increase, but I am doubling his receptions. So 1,500/8Td with 64 receptions is about 260 which is almost top 5 numbers last year. Bush if he can stay healthy is going to be one of the steals of the drafts IMO.

What's Reggie's value on the PPR dynasty market right now? What would you give player or pick-wise? What would you sell for?

From the team blog so lots of gushing commentary in there, but Reggie says he is looking for big things out of Lions' offense.

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2013/06/03/bush-honestly-i-believe-theres-no-excuse-for-us-not-to-have-the-no-1-ranked-offense/
Jahvid Best made that offense lethal. Reggie Bush brings the same dynamic if not more so.
This basically, anyone who thinks the Reggie Bush we saw in Miami is the same Bush that struggled in NO isn't paying attention.

Rotoworld:

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan reiterated that Reggie Bush's role in Detroit will be "substantial."
During minicamp, Bush has lined up at running back, in the slot and gone in motion. The Lions have also implemented a handful of plays designed specifically for their free agent prize. If healthy, Bush is going to push for 80 catches and 200 carries as a featured player in the Lions' pass-happy offense.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Bush could be the steal of the year if he gets all the action that's rumoured. However with Stafford and Johnson there, it seems too good to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread