What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nyheim Hines, CLE (1 Viewer)

Nyheim Hines has a 14.4 percent target share through Week 3. 

Hines has notched more fantasy points than backfield mate Jonathan Taylor in the season's first three games following a five catch, 54 yard Week 3 outing against Tennessee. Hines also scored a rushing touchdown in the Colts loss. Hines' quiet Week 2 was due to Marlon Mack being active and seeing some run against the Rams. Without Mack in Week 1 and Week 3, Hines caught 12 of 12 targets for 85 yards and a touchdown. Taylor, meanwhile, has run 39 pass routes to Hines' 45 routes through three weeks -- he's not exactly a zero in the team's passing game. As long as Mack in inactive, Hines will have weekly PPR viability as Carson Wentz's main checkdown option. 

RELATED: 

Jonathan Taylor

, Marlon Mack

SOURCE: Adam Levitan on Twitter 

Sep 27, 2021, 10:39 AM ET

Jonathan Taylor going the route of Derrick Henry at this rate. Taylor can catch- idk why Hines is used so much
Because he’s a good back? Much to the chagrin of owners who drafted Taylor, Hines is a talented player. The fact that the Colts resigned him to a healthy deal shows their trust in him as well. 

Nyheim Hines rushed two times for six yards in the Colts' Week 4 win over the Dolphins, adding two receptions for three yards.

The Colts took a lead in the second quarter and never looked back. They ultimately won 27-17 but most of Miami's damage was done in the fourth quarter after the game had been decided. The lead allowed Indianaoplis to lean on Jonathan Taylor and Marlon Mack, who combined for 26 carries. Whenever the Colts are playing from ahead, this should be the expectation for Hines, who thrives in losing efforts. A date with the Ravens should help get Hines back on track next week. He'll be a viable FLEX option in PPR leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because he’s a good back? Much to the chagrin of owners who drafted Taylor, Hines is a talented player. The fact that the Colts resigned him to a healthy deal shows their trust in him as well. 
I mean it's essentially a two year 12M dollar deal with an out in 2023. It's for pass catching abilities and also the Colts can save a roster spot as they can use him on special teams as well, which is very valuable.

A game like yesterday shows that Hines is not needed as much as Taylor is for their success 

I mean it's essentially a two year 12M dollar deal with an out in 2023. It's for pass catching abilities and also the Colts can save a roster spot as they can use him on special teams as well, which is very valuable.

A game like yesterday shows that Hines is not needed as much as Taylor is for their success 
“The deal carries an average value of $6.2 million, making Hines one of the top 10 highest-paid running backs in the NFL -- and earning the most money per year for any non-lead back.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32184110/rb-nyheim-hines-agrees-three-year-contract-extension-indianapolis-colts-says-agents%3fplatform=amp

So what part of that deal isn’t, as I said, a “healthy deal”? 

And nobody is claiming Hines is needed more than Taylor for the team’s success btw. The issue is Hines is a negative factor on Taylor’s value, and will continue to be a factor on his value, in games the Colts don’t happen to be front running all game like yesterday.

Nyheim Hines rushed six times for 74 yards and a touchdown in the Colts' Week 9 win over the Jets, adding four receptions for 34 additional yards. 

Hines' 108 yards from scrimmage were by far his most of the season, bettering his Week 1 total of 82 by 26. His 10 touches were his most since Week 3, and came as No. 3 running back Marlon Mack was a surprising healthy scratch. The Colts went with only two runners this evening. Hines' score was a 34-yard reception where he took advantage of jaw-dropping push from the Colts' offensive line to get upfield before bouncing outside and finding the edge. Hines also got an extra touch or two after Jonathan Taylor missed a few plays with a knee issue. Hines has a plus Week 10 matchup in the Jaguars before a foreboding Week 11 date with the Bills. 

Nov 5, 2021, 12:21 AM ET

It's infuriating trying to decide wen he's startable

No rhyme or reason of how they use him...I thought when they extended him to that solid contract his usage would become a little more predictable but he has had games this year with 2,4,4,5 and 5 touches so his floor can be a killer...he's worth having on a roster as solid RB depth but the trust factor is always gonna be an issue. 

Colts head coach Frank Reich said Nyheim Hines will have a bigger role in the team's offense with Matt Ryan at quarterback. 

Reich likened Hines' 2022 usage to how he was deployed with Philip Rivers under center for Indy in 2020. That year, Hines was third among running backs in targets and receptions, trailing only J.D. McKissic and Alvin Kamara. He was graded by Pro Football Focus as 2020's top receiving back. Hines took a step back in 2021 with Carson Wentz at QB for the Colts, seeing 53 targets to Jonathan Taylor's 48. Headed into the 2021 season, Wentz had targeted running backs on a meager 9 percent of his pass attempts in the league. Matt Ryan, meanwhile, has a history of running back dump offs that have turned into PPR goodness for RBs in his backfield. Falcons running backs in 2021 combined for a 25 percent target share, and Devonta Freeman was a valuable PPR producer during his run as Atlanta's starter. That more touches for Hines might mean fewer touches for Taylor might cast skepticism on Reich's desire to boost Hines' involvement in the Colts offense. The Athletic's Stephen Holder on Monday recommended fantasy managers draft Hines in 2022, for whatever that's worth. 

- Zak Keefer, Twitter
For what it's worth, most of the replies imply it was Wentz who underutilized Hines last year and not Frank Reich.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nyheim Hines rushed three times for four yards, adding six catches for 50 yards on six targets, in Indianapolis' Week 1 tie against Houston.

Hines had a disastrous wildcat run on an early fourth-and-goal go for the Colts, but otherwise generally seemed to mostly be a passing-down back. However, as he did with Philip Rivers, Hines earned a lot of short-field targets and may wind up being Indy's second or third wideout by default. He's certainly PPR-relevant, and has some paths to RB2 upside as the Colts take on Jacksonville in Week 2.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Nyheim Hines rushed three times for seven yards and caught 5-of-6 targets for 23 yards in the Colts' Week 3 win over the Chiefs.

Hines' six targets were second on the team behind Michael Pittman's eight, and Hines has now seen target counts of 6, 5, and 6 through three games. He just doesn't score touchdowns, making Hines a low-floor RB3 most weeks. Hines will fill that role next week against the Titans.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Drafted Taylor 1.01 in a 12-team redraft and reached for Hines at 8.12 to protect myself from this exact situation.

In PPR we have to be looking at a floor of RB20 because of the expected volume tonight and a ceiling of RB5 this week despite TNF, right?

Drafted Taylor 1.01 in a 12-team redraft and reached for Hines at 8.12 to protect myself from this exact situation.

In PPR we have to be looking at a floor of RB20 because of the expected volume tonight and a ceiling of RB5 this week despite TNF, right?
I'm curious what caliber of players people here are starting Hines over. I'm sitting him for Dameon Pierce, Jamaal Williams and Kirk myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds all three this week, if he gets the majority of the carries for the Colts.

I'm curious what caliber of players people here are starting Hines over. I'm sitting him for Dameon Pierce, Jamaal Williams and Kirk myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds all three this week, if he gets the majority of the carries for the Colts.
I'm starting Hines in a flex over Brandin Cooks in a PPR.

Starting Dobbins and James Robinson over Hines.

There was some discussion in the Taylor thread. I have my doubts he gets any more carries than usual. I could see them keeping him in his same role (and the offense sucks).

There was some discussion in the Taylor thread. I have my doubts he gets any more carries than usual. I could see them keeping him in his same role (and the offense sucks).
I think your scenario is the most likely to happen: Hines will get a few more extra carries than he usually does, but his usage will mostly remain the same.

Though I’ve seen some people online who think he’s going to get the lion’s share of the rushing, in addition to his usual passing down role, which would set him up for an RB2 week at the very worst.

I’m going to approach this evening with him on my bench, but will watch with interest. I think a lot of us who are sitting him tonight could end up starting him over some big names next week, if things break right tonight.

I am starting him, but I lost Javonte and my RB3 is Pollard. Might as well roll the dice and see if he gets 10 carries and 5 receptions and maybe a TD. I would be thrilled with 15 touches. I wouldn't be surprised if Capella is right.

Need one flex from among these players:

RB Hines IND
RB Boone DEN
RB Mattison MIN
WR Doubs GB
WR Aiyuk SF
WR McKenzie BUF

I'm mainly debating between Hines and Doubs, and leaning Doubs.

ETA: RBs get 0.75 PPR, WRs get 1 PPR in this league. This obviously reduces Hines' value and helps me to lean Doubs.

Last edited:
I’m flexing him with confidence this week. Mostly because without Swift, I’m not really chock full of better options, but I do think he’s a 12-17 point guy, with upside for more if he scores a TD.

Last edited:
Starting him tonight over one of AJones, Kamara, Pierce to be determined. PPR facing a rebuilding team so happy to take what should be a decent floor game

I have 3 opportunities to start him, sitting in one for Jam Williams and M Pittman, Flexing over DJ Moore and A St Brown(prob out) and playing in another where I just pretty much suck! 😂

Good luck all 🤞

Not watching. Clear concussion?
He was wobbling like that inflatable clown toy you punch. It would be criminal for Indy to put him back in this game. Shame, I had him in, but for his sake he needs to recover.

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow

Nyheim Hines ran four times for two yards and caught all five of his targets for 41 yards in the Colts' Week 7 loss to the Titans.

Hines and Jonathan Taylor both returned to action this week, and neither player appeared limited in any way. Per usual, Hines got most of his work on passing downs while Taylor handled the bulk of the between-the-tackles duty. Deon Jackson, who performed well with both sidelined last week, only saw two touches in this game. Hines will continue to be a viable RB3 in PPR leagues for his Week 8 matchup with the Commanders.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Not the RB I expected to be traded.

Stephen Holder

@HolderStephen

Everything I’m hearing right now about the status of things with Colts RB Nyheim Hines indicates odds are good he will be traded by tomorrow’s deadline. Colts haven’t gotten the offer they want just yet, but there’s a strong feeling they just might. Stay tuned.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Teams have reached out to the Colts to inquire about trading for RB/WR/PR Nyheim Hines, per sources.

Can't imagine they'd get much back, probably have to take on a good chunk of his salary as well.

He makes pretty good money so I would think that could scare some teams off…he would be a nice fit with the Pats…Harris will most likely be gone after this year and they have no one in that Faulk/White role unless they feel Strong can handle it next year and that could be a reach.

Fox 59's Mike Chappell reports several NFL teams have inquired about trading for Colts RB Nyheim Hines.​

Hines is coming off his best game of the 2022 season against Washington, when he totaled 49 yards and a touchdown on seven touches. Chappell said Colts general manger Chris Ballard "isn’t actively shopping Hines, but always listens to overtures that might prove beneficial in the long term."
RELATED:
SOURCE: Fox59.com
Nov 1, 2022, 11:54 AM ET

Can't imagine they'd get much back, probably have to take on a good chunk of his salary as well.

He makes pretty good money so I would think that could scare some teams off…he would be a nice fit with the Pats…Harris will most likely be gone after this year and they have no one in that Faulk/White role unless they feel Strong can handle it next year and that could be a reach.
This makes perfect sense and as a Stevenson holder I dislike the idea of it.

Not sure the Colts have any interest whatsoever in helping out the Patriots, unless they were to receive a very un-Patriots-like offer for NHines.

If they were to look across the great divide at the NFC, two Teams that have, at least at the moment, legit playoff aspirations, Hines might be an interesting add for the Giants. I like the look of a Barkley/Hines/Breida trio. He'd also give the Vikings something I don't think they have. Cook/Hines/Mattison looks pretty good, to, IMHO.

Danny Dimes and Captain Kirk might be pretty darn happy with the addition of a quality receiving back like Hines.

As a Stevenson Owner (which I am not) I would not be bothered by it…history dictates the Pats are going to bring in at least one and maybe two RBs this off-season depending on how they feel about Strong and the other Harris…a back like Hines is not a threat to take any carries…I would be far more concerned if the RB they bring in is a threat for both carries and receptions.

As a Stevenson Owner (which I am not) I would not be bothered by it…history dictates the Pats are going to bring in at least one and maybe two RBs this off-season depending on how they feel about Strong and the other Harris…a back like Hines is not a threat to take any carries…I would be far more concerned if the RB they bring in is a threat for both carries and receptions.
That is fair however I think it ultimately would lower Stevenson‘s receptions which have been a nice part of his recent production.

That is fair however I think it ultimately would lower Stevenson‘s receptions which have been a nice part of his recent production.

Agree but would be a real killer if they brought in someone like Blount who becomes their goal line back.

Users who are viewing this thread