What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nyheim Hines, CLE (1 Viewer)

coach speak 101

I remember reading that last link and thinking heres a guy wishing with all his might for it to be true. 

Here is a direct quote from the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts

“I think at this point going into it, it’s still by-committee, but Marlon’s a little bit more the featured guy,” Reich said. “I mean, you saw that, when he’s healthy. Nyheim [Hines] and Jordan [Wilkins] are still going to get their plays and take some of the load off, but I thought the way we ran it when Marlon was in last year was, hey, it’s by-committee, but with emphasis on Marlon being the No. 1 guy.”
I guess we will see in 2 short months

Last edited by a moderator:
Nyheim Hines rushed three times for 11 yards and a touchdown and caught 3-of-4 targets for 24 yards in Week 11 against the Jaguars.

Hines vultured a touchdown after a Jonathan Williams run set up the Colts inside the 10-yard line. His role didn't change much despite Marlon Mack (hand) leaving in the third quarter. Hines should play more snaps if Mack and Jordan Wilkins are out next week, but Williams looks like the favorite for touches.

Does anyone think he's a decent option for rb2 or flex in ppr tonight?

I don't want to make this a wdis, but I have a bunch of comparable options and trying to decide which to bench.

Does anyone think he's a decent option for rb2 or flex in ppr tonight?

I don't want to make this a wdis, but I have a bunch of comparable options and trying to decide which to bench.
He doesn't get many carries.  They will feature Wilkins or Williams as primary carrying RB.  If game script says Colts behind and playing catchup then Hines is the ideal option.  So I guess it depends on how you think the game will go IMO.

He doesn't get many carries.  They will feature Wilkins or Williams as primary carrying RB.  If game script says Colts behind and playing catchup then Hines is the ideal option.  So I guess it depends on how you think the game will go IMO.
Fair enough.

I think I'm benching him for Bo, Hyde, and guice. But it's not an easy choice

Nyheim Hines rushed nine times for 51 yards in the Colts' Week 12 loss to the Texans, adding two catches for 10 additional yards.

Hines was the Colts' clear-cut No. 2 back, as Jordan Wilkins didn't log a single carry behind Marlon Mack fill-in Jonathan Williams. Hines drew a third target in the passing game but committed an awful drop. Seemingly always just short of providing actual fantasy value, Hines won't be a realistic Week 13 FLEX vs. the Titans.

Nov 22, 2019, 12:10 AM ET

The Athletic's Zak Keefer expects Nyheim Hines to get "plenty more action" on offense this season.

Hines played just 31.5% of the offensive snaps last season.  In a Jacoby Brissett-guided offense, the Colts were playing extremely conservatively, checking in at 25th in offensive pace and No. 5 in run-play percentage a year after being No. 2 in pace and No. 9 in pass-play percentage with Andrew Luck.  With Philip Rivers now under center, coach Frank Reich is expected to go back to being more aggressive on offense.  It could be a boost for Hines as a pass-catcher, in sort of an Austin Ekeler-type role after Rivers peppered Ekeler with check-downs with the Chargers.  Hines is someone to monitor in PPR formats.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 8, 2020, 8:51 AM ET

I've been thinking about this. Consider Rivers' history:

Rivers became the Chargers' starting QB in 2006. In 2006-2007, Tomlinson was in his prime and averaged 83 targets. Other RBs weren't a significant factor in the passing game. But consider the following seasons:

• 2008: Tomlinson still had 77 targets, but Sproles had 29/342/5 receiving in 34 targets
  • 2009: Tomlinson fell off a cliff, and Sproles had 45/497/4 receiving on 57 targets; there were also 40 other targets to other RBs
  • 2010: Tomlinson out, Mathews in; Tolbert also had a big role (182 carries and 29 targets); Sproles had 59/520/2 receiving in 75 targets
  • 2011: Mathews was the primary RB and had 59 targets; Tolbert had 54/433/2 receiving in 79 targets
  • 2012: Mathews was the primary RB and had 56 targets; Ronnie Brown had 49/371/0 receiving in 59 targets
  • 2013: Mathews was the primary rusher, but Woodhead joined the team and had 76/605/6 receiving in 88 targets
  • 2014: Woodhead only played 3 games due to injury, but he, Oliver, and Donald Brown combined for 70/516/1 receiving in 92 targets
  • 2015: Gordon was the primary rusher, but Woodhead had 80/755/6 receiving in 106 targets
  • 2016: Woodhead only played 2 games due to injury, and the team had no replacement for his role
  • 2017: Gordon was the primary rusher and also had 83 targets; Ekeler first emerged with 27/279/3 receiving in 35 targets
  • 2018: Gordon was the primary rusher and also had 66 targets; Ekeler had 39/404/3 receiving in 53 targets
  • 2019: Gordon stupidly held out, and Ekeler broke out with 92/993/8 receiving in 108 targets
That is a lot of production from #2/passing down RBs with Rivers. Note that Reich was the Chargers OC in 2014-2015 and the QBs coach in 2013, and those offenses targeted the #2/passing down RBs plenty.

Meanwhile, in college, Hines actually played WR for his first 2 seasons, before moving to RB. With Rivers and an offense tailored by Reich for Rivers, I could see Hines having a big season receiving. Probably not to the level of Ekeler 2019. Maybe not to the level of Woodhead 2013 or 2015. But maybe not far from that. In deeper PPR leagues, Hines could be a value.

Coach Frank Reich said "it wouldn't surprise me if there's a game this season that Nyheim Hines has 10 catches."

Reich added, "Philip (Rivers) has an uncanny ability to get the ball to the backs … Nyheim will be very much integrated into the game plan, on all three downs. … Still enough snaps for him to be very, very productive this year. Very productive." There's also plenty of cause for concern for the Colts' various veteran RBs after they chose to scoop up Jonathan Taylor in the second round of the draft. Marlon Mack's starting job is on life support, but we shouldn't necessarily expect Taylor to fully take over this backfield immediately. Hines had earned some dark-horse appeal in this new-look offense that will feature Philip Rivers under center considering he possesses an Austin Ekeler-esque skill-set thanks to his demonstrated ability to thrive as a true WR in the slot or out wide, but he almost assuredly won't see enough snaps to provide anything resembling consistent fantasy production. A good sample size to try and predict this backfield's splits might just be Weeks 14-17 from last season after Mack returned from injury: a three-RB committee featuring two early-down RBs and Hines. The likelihood that Hines' pass-game work isn't going anywhere lowers the ceiling of every RB involved.

SOURCE: Joel Erickson on Twitter

May 18, 2020, 10:28 AM ET

Colts RB Nyheim Hines rushed seven times for 28 yards and one score, tacking on eight catches for 45 yards and another touchdown in Indianapolis' Week 1 loss to Jacksonville.

It was all fun and games when Hines received two touches (including a 12-yard score) in red zone territory on Indianapolis' opening drive, but the team promptly used him in that same role in the second quarter, allowing the 23-year-old to haul in a second touchdown from Philip Rivers on the two-yard line. With Marlon Mack (torn Achilles') lost for the entire second half, Hines notably totaled 20 snaps to Jonathan Taylor's 21 in the final 30 minutes. Rivers' whopping 44% target rate to Indy's backfield will likely keep both Hines and Taylor as relevant starts for the rest of the season. Fantasy players should prep to include Hines among the top players to fight for on waiver wires Tuesday.

- Rotoworld

Considering trading OBJ for this guy in my 0.5 PPR redraft/keeper league.  I had OBJ last year and am sick of him and the browns and baker.  Hines seems to have tremendous upside, especially with rivers now and the tremendous o-line....anyone wanna talk me off the ledge?

Taylor and Hines the new Gordon and Ekeler for Rivers. 14 RB receptions yesterday. Dayum.

ETA Excuse me Mack had 3 for 30. 17 RB receptions.

Rivers and his pop gun arm arm is "Taylor-made" for Hines. Give him between 7-10 totes a game and 5+ receptions consistently and Hines should be a very upsidey Flex.

How Marlon Mack’s injury affects your fantasy team in 2020

Excerpt:

You need to make Nyheim Hines your top waiver wire priority this week.

One of the biggest surprises and fantasy takeaways from watching games on Sunday was Nyheim Hines’ usage, specifically inside the red zone.

For a player who has the designation of a “passing-down back”, Hines had four red zone rushing attempts, including the first score of the game on a 12-yard rush against a stacked Jacksonville box. Hines also saw two red zone targets, catching both for 15 yards, including his second score of the day. Entering his third season in the NFL, this was Hines’ second career multi-score game.

The other factor we need to consider is the impact of Phillip Rivers. In 2019, Rivers led the NFL in targeting his running backs on 31.8% of his attempts. The question entering Week 1 was if this was a factor of the Los Angeles Chargers’ offense or his tendencies as a quarterback. 

What did we see in Rivers’ first game in the Blue and White? 17 of his 46 targets (36.65%) went to running backs. Production like this is going to continue with Hines seeing the majority.

The eight targets Nyheim Hines saw in Week 1 were the most in a single game since Week 11 of 2018 against the Miami Dolphins. With Marlon Mack out for the season, production like this could become a constant, rather than an outlier.

Hines is currently rostered in roughly 35% of fantasy leagues, but expect this number to shoot up as he will be the top fantasy waiver wire claim this week.

How much of your FAAB budgets would you spend?
Bloom says between 25-50, but I have a feeling it will cost more than that.  I'm going 60. This guy can make a season.  He's the real deal on a very good team with a great o-line.
Hines and Malcolm Brown both available in my league. Thinking about going 50% for each, hoping I get one, but not upset if I get both.

He's available in 3 of my leagues and I'll be picking him up in 1 of them.

4th league I already have him. 

Hoping he's a lock for my flex position going forward.

Are people excited with Hines going forward?? 
How are people valuing him going forward in .5 or full PPR leagues? RB2 or a flex player?

Have him in in a dynasty league where I'm short on rb talent. Offered pittman for him by taylor owner. Not sure if I should ride this out or sell

Are people excited with Hines going forward?? 
How are people valuing him going forward in .5 or full PPR leagues? RB2 or a flex player?
I've got him plugged in as my RB2 this week, but not necessarily how I value him.

I have no idea what to expect, really... just going by River's history, the offense, game film, etc and feeling OK about it. I waited to pick an RB this year so really thin at the position. I'm riding Hunt and Hines this week.

Nyheim Hines caught a four-yard pass in the Colts' Week 2 win over the Vikings, drawing zero rushing attempts.

That was fun while it lasted. Hines got out-touched 28-1 by Jonathan Taylor, even ceding nine handles to Jordan Wilkins. Disastrous for those who took the FLEX plunge, but also unlikely to be a theme. The Colts spent the afternoon playing from ahead, pounding the rock with Taylor and attempting only 25 passes. That will probably remain the theme for Week 3 against the Jets, but Hines will still be needed for plenty of passing-game targets this season. He is worth keeping around in PPR leagues, at least for the time being. The key will be Taylor's targets. He received just two vs. Minnesota. 

Sep 20, 2020, 6:04 PM ET

Zak Keefer

‪@zkeefer

For the Nyheim Hines fantasy owners out there worried after W2, Colts OC Nick Sirianni says emphatically, "We need to get the ball to Nyheim." Taylor was running well, and so was Wilkins behind him, so they stuck with that. Still think Hines' involvement will fluctuate all year.

9/22/20, 11:31 AM

Nick Sirianni On Replacing Parris Campbell, Confidence In Mo Alie-Cox, More Touches For Nyheim Hines

Excerpt:

» Don't worry, fantasy football team owners — Nyheim Hines is still a major part of the Colts' offensive plans: Hines played a major role in Indy's 2020 opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars last Sunday; in all, he logged 39 offensive snaps (53 percent) and had seven carries for 28 yards and a touchdown, and led the offense with eight receptions for 45 yards and another score through the air.

So with a season-ending Achilles injury suffered by starting running back Marlon Mack in that Jaguars game, coupled with the fact the Colts were going to have a rookie, Jonathan Taylor, as their starter moving forward at the position, many assumed Hines' role on offense would be increasing even more.

But last Sunday against the Vikings, Hines played just nine offensive snaps (12 percent), touching the ball one time — a four-yard reception in the second quarter (he also had four punt returns for 40 yards).

Is this a sign of things to come for Hines with Taylor — who had a terrific first-career start with 26 carries for 101 yards and a touchdown — now the starter? Inquiring fantasy minds want to know.

The simple answer is no, that's not the case. Hines is still a major part of the Colts' offense; Indy just utilized a little bit different gameplan against the Vikings.

"We need to get the ball to Nyheim. He's too good of a playmaker. So that is an emphasis and that is an emphasis each week," Sirianni said. "It just fell last week that he didn't get the touches.

"We know we can win a lot of different ways," Sirianni continued. "The main way we know we want to win is through the running game. Then everything comes off of that. Jonathan was carrying the ball. He was carrying the ball well. When Jordan (Wilkins) went in, he was carrying the ball well (nine carries for 40 yards). That's just the way it kind of lied last week, but definitely it is always in our plans to get Nyheim the ball and be a big part of this offense. It just didn't work that way last week."

Well, after loosing Zack Moss for this week, I am forced to start Hines in the flex.

Anybody else trotting him out this week after last weeks disaster?

Well, after loosing Zack Moss for this week, I am forced to start Hines in the flex.

I hope week 2 was the anomaly more than week 1.  Chances are week 3 lies somewhere in the middle.

Starting Antonio Gibson over Hines this week but I still have decent hopes for a good week and year.

This is a wait and watch week for me after last week.

I'm worried that it's going to be tough to predict which weeks Hines will be worth playing.

Nyheim Hines rushed seven times for 21 yards, catching 4-of-5 targets for 50 yards and a receiving score in Indianapolis' Week 3 win over the Jets.

Fortunately for those who unloaded for Hines on waiver wires last week, he was involved early both between the 20s and inside the red zone. Jonathan Taylor out-touched Hines 14 to 11 and scored from the one-yard line, but Hines also had a touch inside the five that he failed to punch in. Both were benched in the second half for Jordan Wilkins, who has received fourth-quarter mop-up work in back-to-back games. Hines will remain a viable FLEX option for PPR leagues in Week 4 against the Titans.

Sep 27, 2020, 9:58 PM ET

Nice to see him involved!  I think he remains a god flex play going forward.

He didn't score this week..Roto I guess had a score for him in error.

Users who are viewing this thread