What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nyheim Hines, CLE (2 Viewers)

Cut Brian Robinson to pick him up at the end of my bench, not expecting a lot but it doesn't hurt to have pieces of this offense sitting around on your bench.

Chase Edmonds (whom I cut awhile ago) is back on our wire again. Trying to limit myself to one (nearly) worthless satelite back at a time.

Cut Brian Robinson to pick him up at the end of my bench, not expecting a lot but it doesn't hurt to have pieces of this offense sitting around on your bench.

Chase Edmonds (whom I cut awhile ago) is back on our wire again. Trying to limit myself to one (nearly) worthless satelite back at a time.
I like Edmonds, drafted him and finally had to release him but i am optimistic he is going to look better in Denver, he just wasn't a good fit in McDaniel's offense.
Picked Hines over him just because of the offense and QB if Hines finds himself getting a few more touches than in Indy.

Both Singletary and Hines available...only have 1 spot available, which to go with ROS?
Singletary. Easy.
Yea, that's what I figured. I picked up Devin just in case...Just wondering at what level does Hines reduce Devin's value ROS. Not much or significantly...Both are receiving backs. From what I've read so far, seems Hines will solely be COP and 3rd downs...maybe cutting more into Cook's value than Devin's.

Last edited:
Premature to assume anything regarding 2nd half of season workload. Would it really shock anyone if Hines steps in, out-performs Singletary and takes the 1A share of looks and touches ROS? To me, that's well within a reasonable range of outcomes here. I'm not a huge Singletary fan. In a vacuum, I think Hines is the better player. Curious to see how this actually plays out.

Interesting listen on Sirius/XM Fantasy Life...Dwain McFarland segment, talked about what makes Hines special.

I respect Dwain McFarland as much or more than any elite FF Analyst I regularly read.

There are 2 types of pass catching RB's, the typical kind, say 90% of them, run primarily check downs, dump offs, outlets, screens, etc. Singletary can catch the football, he's not a liability at that skill, it's just that he's one of these typical guys

The other type, those who carry the 'elite' label, are capable of being actual downfield threats, and are capable of being a qb's primary read in a pattern progression, having pass plays specifically designed to go to them. He's got some kind of a metric, '8 aught'? ... I didn't hear that clearly and didn't hear it explained, but apparently it's ridiculous.

ETA: ***now that I think of it, maybe he was saying 'ADoT (Average Depth of Target)'? That would make sense. '8 aught'... :lmao:...forgive me, I was listening while driving.

McFarland was saying that qb's in general, on average, throw to their primary read on a play, around 70% of the time.

He said that much as everyone loves Gabe Davis, neither he, nor any of the other Buffalo pass catchers, earn or DEMAND targets the way Diggs does. Not one of them is stepping up and convincing the coaches or Josh Allen to include them more in the passing offense than they already are. Diggs is Allen's primary read on pretty much every pass play. Apparently they were getting tired of that. Hines is a legit threat that earns/demands targets in an area of the field that Diggs does not. He expects Hines to quickly become the Bills primary slot receiver, and be heavily involved in the passing game right away, at the expense of the other pass-catchers, not necessarily Singletary, who will remain the team's primary RB.

McFarland guessed that at times, when Allen drops back to throw, he might see Singletary in a check down/dump off, what have you, area, and just think to himself "I can throw it to that guy for whatever...or I can just run for 25 yards." ... and much of the time, he does exactly that.

Hines is definitely not as elite a rusher as he is a receiver. I think there was a perception he was capable of filling a 3-down role if something happened to JT, but when that plan had to be implemented, we wound up seeing Lindsay employed, and the ascent of Deon Jackson. Singletary is a better rusher than Hines. Allen vultures rushing attempts/yards from Singletary, but Singletary is a good RB, and does a pretty good job of getting as much or more out of every play where his number is called. The Bills are happy with the job he's doing in his role. Hines might get a carry here and there to keep the D honest, much as Singletary will get a catch or two, for the same reason.

I think McFarland compared the Hines acquisition to when the Bills brought in Emmanuel Sanders.

I think we're going to see a lot of Singletary and Hines on the field at the same time, with Hines either lining up, or motioning into, the slot. If he pans out like the Bills expect him to, Singletary won't catch as many balls, but neither will the other pass catchers.

Interesting listen on Sirius/XM Fantasy Life...Dwain McFarland segment, talked about what makes Hines special.

I respect Dwain McFarland as much or more than any elite FF Analyst I regularly read.

There are 2 types of pass catching RB's, the typical kind, say 90% of them, run primarily check downs, dump offs, outlets, screens, etc. Singletary can catch the football, he's not a liability at that skill, it's just that he's one of these typical guys

The other type, those who carry the 'elite' label, are capable of being actual downfield threats, and are capable of being a qb's primary read in a pattern progression, having pass plays specifically designed to go to them. He's got some kind of a metric, '8 aught'? ... I didn't hear that clearly and didn't hear it explained, but apparently it's ridiculous.

ETA: ***now that I think of it, maybe he was saying 'ADoT (Average Depth of Target)'? That would make sense. '8 aught'... :lmao:...forgive me, I was listening while driving.

McFarland was saying that qb's in general, on average, throw to their primary read on a play, around 70% of the time.

He said that much as everyone loves Gabe Davis, neither he, nor any of the other Buffalo pass catchers, earn or DEMAND targets the way Diggs does. Not one of them is stepping up and convincing the coaches or Josh Allen to include them more in the passing offense than they already are. Diggs is Allen's primary read on pretty much every pass play. Apparently they were getting tired of that. Hines is a legit threat that earns/demands targets in an area of the field that Diggs does not. He expects Hines to quickly become the Bills primary slot receiver, and be heavily involved in the passing game right away, at the expense of the other pass-catchers, not necessarily Singletary, who will remain the team's primary RB.

McFarland guessed that at times, when Allen drops back to throw, he might see Singletary in a check down/dump off, what have you, area, and just think to himself "I can throw it to that guy for whatever...or I can just run for 25 yards." ... and much of the time, he does exactly that.

Hines is definitely not as elite a rusher as he is a receiver. I think there was a perception he was capable of filling a 3-down role if something happened to JT, but when that plan had to be implemented, we wound up seeing Lindsay employed, and the ascent of Deon Jackson. Singletary is a better rusher than Hines. Allen vultures rushing attempts/yards from Singletary, but Singletary is a good RB, and does a pretty good job of getting as much or more out of every play where his number is called. The Bills are happy with the job he's doing in his role. Hines might get a carry here and there to keep the D honest, much as Singletary will get a catch or two, for the same reason.

I think McFarland compared the Hines acquisition to when the Bills brought in Emmanuel Sanders.

I think we're going to see a lot of Singletary and Hines on the field at the same time, with Hines either lining up, or motioning into, the slot. If he pans out like the Bills expect him to, Singletary won't catch as many balls, but neither will the other pass catchers.

Fantastic analysis.

Fantastic analysis.

I will add in case there are some who aren't aware, Hines played WR his first two seasons in college at NC State (redshirt and RS-FR) before moving to RB for his final two seasons. He had 20/256/1 (12.8 ypr) receiving as a R-FR, then 43/525/0 (12.2 ypr) receiving as a passing down RB as a R-SO. He became the primary RB as a R-JR, so his receiving production slipped to 26/152/0 (5.8 ypr)... though he had 197/1113/12 (5.6 ypc) rushing.

The fact that he was a WR his first two college seasons supports the idea that he is better than a typical pass catching RB.

Josh doesn’t really utilize his RBs in check downs at all - he’s always look to push the ball downfield, and he’ll take himself if it’s not there.

Totally true up to now - which is why the Bills want a pass catching back so bad. They want to cut down on Josh taking it himself. It will take time to train Josh to do the dump off, but that is definitely what the coaches prefer him to do, assuming that those types of plays are actually successful.

Josh doesn’t really utilize his RBs in check downs at all - he’s always look to push the ball downfield, and he’ll take himself if it’s not there.

Totally true up to now - which is why the Bills want a pass catching back so bad. They want to cut down on Josh taking it himself. It will take time to train Josh to do the dump off, but that is definitely what the coaches prefer him to do, assuming that those types of plays are actually successful.
I'm not sure I buy that at all. Bills RBs have a decent number of receptions this year and I would bet 90%+ were dump offs/check-downs/screens. I'm sure there were a few others, but the only one that comes to mind as a designed downfield pass was the one to Cooks against the Packers.

General consensus on better or worst or about the same scoring opportunities (Rush yds//Rush TDs/Rec yards/Rec TDs) per game overall going forward in comparison to his numbers in INDY this season so far?

So far...RUSH: 14 carry/34 yds/ 1 TD REC: 23 targets/ 20 Rec/ 147 yds/0 TDs

This mirrors a lot of hat I was thinking when I picked up Hines immediately on the trade news/rumor on Deadline Tuesday
-I don't see any of the Bills pass catchers after Diggs really do much to demand the football. They all produce when thrown to but they mostly just wait for their turn and some of the Buffalo WRs after Diggs just disappear from the stat box. I think Hines has a solid chance to be like JD McKissic when they were actually utilizing him in Washington and maybe he's a lot better than that.

I don't know where Hines can go but in the slot he could easily hit double digits and be a flex option many weeks even without any carries.

General consensus on better or worst or about the same scoring opportunities (Rush yds//Rush TDs/Rec yards/Rec TDs) per game overall going forward in comparison to his numbers in INDY this season so far?

So far...RUSH: 14 carry/34 yds/ 1 TD REC: 23 targets/ 20 Rec/ 147 yds/0 TDs
2018 and 2020 he managed to collect 63 balls each season.
In 2020, he totaled 862 total yds and 7TDs

I will take the over or side with him IMPROVING the 2nd Half of 2022 with a potent offense.
Might take a week
Might take a WR/RB being unavailable
But he's going to trigger folks memories of when his name was kicked around as a flex option.

So far...RUSH: 18 carry/36 yds/ 1 TD REC: 28 targets/ 25 Rec/ 188 yds/0 TDs
2018 and 2020 he managed to collect 63 balls each season.
In 2020, he totaled 862 total yds and 7TDs

I will take the over or side with him IMPROVING the 2nd Half of 2022 with a potent offense.
Might take a week
Might take a WR/RB being unavailable
But he's going to trigger folks memories of when his name was kicked around as a flex option.
(y)

So, I guess he's not picked up the playbook yet? I can't imagine they traded for him with the idea of just targeting him once a game.

eAdc3rRW_x96.jpg

Matt Parrino

@MattParrino

Duke Johnson and Xavier Rhodes have been elevated off the practice squad for tomorrow’s game vs Vikings. Johnson could return punts and allow Nyheim Hines to focus on offense. Rhodes coming up could mean maybe no Tre White yet or just wanting numbers with Kaiir Elam doubtful

So, I guess he's not picked up the playbook yet? I can't imagine they traded for him with the idea of just targeting him once a game.

You would think

5 snaps, same as Duke Johnson

(Singletary 51 Cook 13)

1 target for 1 catch 9 yards

that’s his only target in two weeks, zero attempts, 43 yards punt returns (18+25)

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia writes Nyheim Hines is a realistic cap-casualty option for the Bills.​

"The Bills could save more money by cutting Hines than on any other non-core player, and it isn’t close. The cap hit likely needs to be addressed as is," Buscaglia continues. It's possible that Hines could come back on a reworked deal, but his current near-$5 million cap hit is unpalatable for the Bills as they try to squeeze every dollar around their core to compete for a championship.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jan 31, 2023, 1:09 PM ET

Right up there with Chase Claypool among trades involving once fantasy-relevant players that totally flopped with their new teams.

In fairness, he did have 2 kickoff return TDs in a game that secured the 2-seed and what could have been a neutral field AFC Conference Championship game.

I was surprised that he didn't get used more in the offense. I was really happy to get him as a throw-in on an offseason trade. Obviously, that was a whiff. I dropped him during the dynasty season but scooped him for the offseseason. I want to see what happens with him and Singletary, even with Cook there and what one would assume is the addition of a thumper.

Right up there with Chase Claypool among trades involving once fantasy-relevant players that totally flopped with their new teams.
More from a FF standpoint than an actual football standpoint.

He was a great kick returner, and he converted a couple of clutch 3rd downs.

For what the Bills needed him to do, he wasn’t bad.

But it destroyed his FF relevance for sure.
He had one great game as a kick returner, outside of that he wasn't "great". On offense he was non-existent, he literally had negative rushing yards and converted a grand total of 2 3rd downs (both receiving), including the post season.

Total flop.

He had one great game as a kick returner, outside of that he wasn't "great". On offense he was non-existent, he literally had negative rushing yards and converted a grand total of 2 3rd downs (both receiving), including the post season.

Total flop.
Its really baffling too. Hines should have been an excellent fit in Buffalo, more explosive than Singletary, and more experienced than Cook, and he never made a dent in either of their workloads.

I thought it was realistic after the trade, that he'd be the starting RB by the playoffs, instead he was arguably a downgrade from Zack Moss, who actually had some nice games for the Colts.

There is some question in my mind, if Buffalo just sucks at using RBs. That's pretty much the hope for Hines dynasty owners right now.

Total flop.
Its really baffling too. Hines should have been an excellent fit in Buffalo, more explosive than Singletary, and more experienced than Cook, and he never made a dent in either of their workloads.

I thought it was realistic after the trade, that he'd be the starting RB by the playoffs, instead he was arguably a downgrade from Zack Moss, who actually had some nice games for the Colts.

There is some question in my mind, if Buffalo just sucks at using RBs. That's pretty much the hope for Hines dynasty owners right now.
I just kinda thought he’d be a peripheral player. I sold “high” on the heels of that trade because I thought he was one more body to muck up a crowded backfield.

INDY really wanted to make him a receiving specialist, but with QB play, and IIRC an injury, he never lived up to the preseason hype.

I dealt Bourne for Hines, then flipped Hines for Heineke, then flipped Heineke for a what turned out to be 3.02 in a 16-team league.

I’ll take it.

Hines barely touched the ball last year, and he was firmly behind Cook and Harris on the depth chart. This hurts the Bills because it cuts into their RB depth and costs them a really good kick returner. I don't know that it changes anything from a fantasy standpoint.

Bills - please DO NOT bring in James' brother or Kareem Hunt. TIA.
Hines barely saw touches outside of special teams - so I doubt the team feels it needs to run out and add to the RB depth because they lost Hines.
They have Latavius Murray too, and he has a long history of being a lot bigger factor than expected. Its really not out of the question that he ends up being Buffalo's leading rusher this season, though obviously its not plan A.

I think Harris going to flourish in this offense.
Full blown RBBC most likely. Just hoping Allen lets his RBs be the running threat in the red zone.
The beat reporters are limited in what details they are allowed to discuss when they observe mini-camps, practices, etc. But without saying as much, most of the ones I have listened to are making it pretty clear that James Cook is the #1 and everything after that is up in the air. That doesn’t mean that Cook will get used like McCaffery, Henry, or someone like that, but it seems from early indications, that he is the clear favorite right now.

Users who are viewing this thread