What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Cook, BUF (2 Viewers)

Well that sucked, iswtg it’s the last time I start a player who gets less points than a similar player on my bench.
8 points not end of the world. He was projected for 12. Missed his projection by 4
Those projections are a joke. Bottom line is that the Bills running game has been and will continue to be risky at best. I believe we knew this going into the season. People ask, why not include Cook more in the passing game. Well, I agree to the extent that if you're not going to run the ball, at least use the short passing game to your RBs to resemble a running game.
Yes that is the puzzling part. It was the one thing he was definitely good at coming out of college and the one thing they have repeatedly said they need.
I fault the coaching. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if they put everything on Josh Allen's shoulders and sometimes his legs. They are just looking for him to make the big play and I think at the expense of a more balanced attack. Like I said, I believe they should throw it short to their RBs more when they abandon the running game.
I am in total agreement. It's like backyard football when you have the clear best player and it just turns into "I don't know, just let Josh make a play".

Well that sucked, iswtg it’s the last time I start a player who gets less points than a similar player on my bench.
8 points not end of the world. He was projected for 12. Missed his projection by 4
Those projections are a joke. Bottom line is that the Bills running game has been and will continue to be risky at best. I believe we knew this going into the season. People ask, why not include Cook more in the passing game. Well, I agree to the extent that if you're not going to run the ball, at least use the short passing game to your RBs to resemble a running game.
Yes that is the puzzling part. It was the one thing he was definitely good at coming out of college and the one thing they have repeatedly said they need.
I fault the coaching. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if they put everything on Josh Allen's shoulders and sometimes his legs. They are just looking for him to make the big play and I think at the expense of a more balanced attack. Like I said, I believe they should throw it short to their RBs more when they abandon the running game.
I am in total agreement. It's like backyard football when you have the clear best player and it just turns into "I don't know, just let Josh make a play".
Just for the record, I have no shares of Cook in any league. I'm just calling it as I see it.

Just for the record, I have no shares of Cook in any league. I'm just calling it as I see it.
That makes it all the better. I do have some investment but I also didn;t want the investment really. It was more of a "well he's the best player at this spot" kind of thing. I don't love him as a player but objectively, it sure seems like his usage is dumb.

I agree with this and I am not letting the coaches or Josh Allen off the hook here, but Lavonte David is one of the best off ball linebackers in the league so throwing to the RBs against him when there are better match up vs the corners is maybe not the way to go in this particular game.

I agree with this and I am not letting the coaches or Josh Allen off the hook here, but Lavonte David is one of the best off ball linebackers in the league so throwing to the RBs against him when there are better match up vs the corners is maybe not the way to go in this particular game.
I agree, he was all over Laporta the other week but I thought I saw TB was getting roasted by RBs in the passing game this year. Maybe I am wrong.

I agree, he was all over Laporta the other week but I thought I saw TB was getting roasted by RBs in the passing game this year. Maybe I am wrong.
Maybe you are right. I didn't watch the game.

Just pointing out David has the range and ability to match up well vs RB.

The Bill's diversified their attack enough that opportunities to get to Cook were likely there as David's assignments were surely not always on the RB.

Those projections are a joke. Bottom line is that the Bills running game has been and will continue to be risky at best. I believe we knew this going into the season. People ask, why not include Cook more in the passing game? Well, I agree to the extent that if you're not going to run the ball, at least use the short passing game to your RBs to resemble a running game.
Hes averaging 11 pts in my half ppr league. I dont know how projecting him over his average by 1 point is a joke. He's scored over 12 4 tmes and under 12 4 times. Sounds like a perfect O/U

Those projections are a joke. Bottom line is that the Bills running game has been and will continue to be risky at best. I believe we knew this going into the season. People ask, why not include Cook more in the passing game? Well, I agree to the extent that if you're not going to run the ball, at least use the short passing game to your RBs to resemble a running game.
Hes averaging 11 pts in my half ppr league. I dont know how projecting him over his average by 1 point is a joke. He's scored over 12 4 tmes and under 12 4 times. Sounds like a perfect O/U
ok Seinfeld. You got another laugher for us?

j/k 12 seems about right though I did want more in that spot

Yeah this is what hes gonna be this year. hes gonna have games with 8 points and games with 16 and some in the middle. I doubt he ever falls outside of those ranges much. Hes a decent RB2 if the rest of your team is stacked and I can also see benching him if you have 2 better RBs. Unfortunately I have netiher stacked RBs or team so I have no choice but to play him for now. This is one of the reasons I am 3-4.

Yeah this is what hes gonna be this year. hes gonna have games with 8 points and games with 16 and some in the middle. I doubt he ever falls outside of those ranges much. Hes a decent RB2 if the rest of your team is stacked and I can also see benching him if you have 2 better RBs. Unfortunately I have netiher stacked RBs or team so I have no choice but to play him for now. This is one of the reasons I am 3-4.
That is perfect. He's my bye week/emergency RB3/flex on my win-now dynasty team and he seems perfect for it. I normally wouldn't have played him this week but with the Hill injury talk, I thought maybe better to be safe and put in Cook over DJ Moore or Devonta Smith just on the off chance Hill actually misses.

When Buffalo was up 24-10 which happened after the 1st Drive of the 3rd Q, there was at least 20-25 minutes of game regulation left
Cook should have been loaded up with carries in the 2nd Half, he would gain 4-5 yards and then Allen would throw or runaround twice
Bills would Punt Punt Punt the rest of the evening, twice in Bucs territory IIRC.

If Buffalo would do the right thing and hand it to Cook on like 5 out of 7 plays, just deliberately open a drive after up 24-10 with 3-4 hand offs to Cook in a row but we don't see that type of commitment to the running game by the OC-Dorsey or the HC for that matter.
Sometimes you gotta just accept 4-5 carries for 20-22-24 yds, grind it out and then there should be some easy throws to Diggs and Kincaid and Gabe Davis
They can't all be chunk plays

When Buffalo was up 24-10 which happened after the 1st Drive of the 3rd Q, there was at least 20-25 minutes of game regulation left
Cook should have been loaded up with carries in the 2nd Half, he would gain 4-5 yards and then Allen would throw or runaround twice
Bills would Punt Punt Punt the rest of the evening, twice in Bucs territory IIRC.

If Buffalo would do the right thing and hand it to Cook on like 5 out of 7 plays, just deliberately open a drive after up 24-10 with 3-4 hand offs to Cook in a row but we don't see that type of commitment to the running game by the OC-Dorsey or the HC for that matter.
That mentality will bite them in the arse come playoff time in bad weather.

Sometimes you gotta just accept 4-5 carries for 20-22-24 yds, grind it out and then there should be some easy throws to Diggs and Kincaid and Gabe Davis
It didnt help that TB has a 9 minute drive in the 4Q. That wouldve been prime Cook time.

It didnt help that TB has a 9 minute drive in the 4Q. That wouldve been prime Cook time.
But that Bucs drive did not start until the 4th Q with 10-11 minutes left, what happened on the Buffalo drives in the 3rd Q and even the start of the 4th?
They were on and off the field quickly as they were all too happy to have Josh Allen throw the football
And regardless, Cook now has 3 single digit games in the last 4 weeks, that's a hole for most that start 2 RBs
Cook is not an auto start at the moment

There needs to be more commitment to the run IMHO, especially when they have 2 TD leads

But that Bucs drive did not start until the 4th Q with 10-11 minutes left, what happened on the Buffalo drives in the 3rd Q and even the start of the 4th?
They were on and off the field quickly as they were all too happy to have Josh Allen throw the football
And regardless, Cook now has 3 single digit games in the last 4 weeks, that's a hole for most that start 2 RBs
Cook is not an auto start at the moment

There needs to be more commitment to the run IMHO, especially when they have 2 TD leads
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just adding to your point

Cook looks so smooth and slippery running the ball, but it would be nice if he saw some traditional counters, sweeps and tosses. They'll need this to stay consistent enough for a deep playoff run. I'm also not sure why they don't get a little more creative with Cook out of the backfield. Many times he just runs a leak out to the sideline or lines up wide and just stands on the sideline. He's a decoy to occupy a defender, but not a great one because he's not a threat to be thrown to. Yesterday should have been a gimme and the Bills came pretty close to losing it on a hail mary. Cook actually being a threat as a receiver will only help them be more dangerous.

And along the same lines, at what point does this team realize Murray is not an effective short yardage back? He is the best pass blocking RB on the team, I get it, and he's big, yes, but a short yardage runner? Not anymore, his inefficiency and drive killing runs are maddening to watch.

They got the win, and that's all that matters. Cook looked a little banged up last night as well, so the rest should do him good.

Last edited:
Cook looks so smooth and slippery running the ball, but it would be nice if he saw some traditional counters, sweeps and tosses. They'll need this to stay consistent enough for a deep playoff run. I'm also not sure why they don't get a little more creative with Cook out of the backfield. Many times he just runs a leak out to the sideline or lines up wide and just stands on the sideline. He's a decoy to occupy a receiver, but not a great one because he's not a threat to be thrown to. Yesterday should have been a gimme and the Bills came pretty close to losing it on a hail mary. Cook actually being a threat as a receiver will only help them be more dangerous.

And along the same lines, at what point does this team realize Murray is not an effective short yardage back? He is the best pass blocking RB on the team, I get it, and he's big, yes, but a short yardage runner? Not anymore, his inefficiency and drive killing runs are maddening to watch.

They got the win, and that's all that matters. Cook looked a little banged up last night as well, so the rest should do him good.
I agree. They keep playing tight games against inferior opponents and I think the gameplan of limiting Cooks touches is a big part of that. Nothing against Murray, but he is 33 and the NFL is not kind to 33 year old RBs. Also agree about lining Cook (and Murray) up outside with no chance they get the ball. Odd

Plus made it a point to watch Murray in pass protection last night. He barely had plays when he blocked at all and when he did, he whiffed on one big time. Looked really slow

Cook looks so smooth and slippery running the ball, but it would be nice if he saw some traditional counters, sweeps and tosses. They'll need this to stay consistent enough for a deep playoff run. I'm also not sure why they don't get a little more creative with Cook out of the backfield. Many times he just runs a leak out to the sideline or lines up wide and just stands on the sideline. He's a decoy to occupy a receiver, but not a great one because he's not a threat to be thrown to. Yesterday should have been a gimme and the Bills came pretty close to losing it on a hail mary. Cook actually being a threat as a receiver will only help them be more dangerous.

I agree. They keep playing tight games against inferior opponents and I think the gameplan of limiting Cooks touches is a big part of that. Nothing against Murray, but he is 33 and the NFL is not kind to 33 year old RBs. Also agree about lining Cook (and Murray) up outside with no chance they get the ball. Odd

Plus made it a point to watch Murray in pass protection last night. He barely had plays when he blocked at all and when he did, he whiffed on one big time. Looked really slow
The thing is, it doesn't seem like they're actively trying to limit Cook's touches, not between the 20's anyway. He's in there a lot and they're willing to give him the ball in a variety of situations. If anyone's truly limiting his touches it's Josh Allen wanting to throw the ball more than run it on RPOs, but the team really needs to be more creative and balanced if they want to be elite come playoff time. Playground slinging it isn't going to win when the temperatures drop and defenses get fired up come December/January. It's just that the team seems to really want Murray to be that big body bruiser when he looks washed. Cook will get one of every few series off, but Murray coming in to kill drives in the red zone is more than annoying. Good point on Murray missing a pass block as well. Harris actually looked effective as an NFL player, Murray does not. Maybe it will take a few more losses before they start to acknowledge what everyone watching can already see.

Starting Cook is no fun. Even with so many nice runs the points are so hard to come by when you are not used much in the passing game and almost never near the goal line.

I understand pulling him near the goal line but the lack of passing game usage is baffling. He's been nothing short of exceptional on a per target basis, 81% catch rate and his yards per catch/target is some prime Alvin Kamara stuff and he's getting 2.75 targets a game. I think he's second on the team, behind Gabe, in yards per target.

Murray's lack of lateral agility looks downright embarrassing, and that actually worries me a little more for Cooks ROS outlook until we get past the trade deadline because if this team insists on not wanting to use Cook very much it's hard to think they are ok with Latavius or often and currently injured Harris getting so much run.

Starting Cook is no fun. Even with so many nice runs the points are so hard to come by when you are not used much in the passing game and almost never near the goal line.

I understand pulling him near the goal line but the lack of passing game usage is baffling. He's been nothing short of exceptional on a per target basis, 81% catch rate and his yards per catch/target is some prime Alvin Kamara stuff and he's getting 2.75 targets a game. I think he's second on the team, behind Gabe, in yards per target.

Murray's lack of lateral agility looks downright embarrassing, and that actually worries me a little more for Cooks ROS outlook until we get past the trade deadline because if this team insists on not wanting to use Cook very much it's hard to think they are ok with Latavius or often and currently injured Harris getting so much run.
Pulling him at the goal line makes no sense for multiple reasons.

1. Murray looks washed running the ball, when you need 3, he'll get you 2, when you need 1, he'll get you 0, etc.
2. Cook has proven his ability to make something out of nothing
2. Cook provides more versatility and keeps D guessing
3. Cook looks better running the ball more so than anyone else on the roster
4. Maybe most importantly, the team isn't worried about Cook's health or ability to get the tough yard or he wouldn't be their first choice to pound the ball into a heavy front at the end of the games when teams are putting 9 in the box. He's their closer, so why not utilize his talents in the red zone? Especially when Murray has proven to be a drive killer?

All in all, their usage of Cook is a bit of a head scratcher. He can be so much more. Will they let him be? Maybe they don't unleash him until the end of the season. They've certainly proven they can win any given week playing playground ball. I guess we'll see.

There were plays last night when Murray tried to bounce it outside and had no chance. He’s good at the goal line. He’s good in protection, that’s it

There were plays last night when Murray tried to bounce it outside and had no chance. He’s good at the goal line. He’s good in protection, that’s it

Is he even good at the goal line though? They sure try and give it to him but he hasn’t been Jamaal Williams or anything
Yeah he's looked worse and worse at short yardage as the year's gone on. Last night I think it was 4th and 2 at the end of the game to seal it. Murray got 1.

But the truly baffling thing is the lack of targets for Cook. He excels in space and they seemingly refuse to try to get him there.

Is he even good at the goal line though? They sure try and give it to him but he hasn’t been Jamaal Williams or anything
I have not seen anything to indicate he has any special GL prowess

Last edited:

Too tall and slow. He's just a giant tackling dummy at this point.

If only message boarders could coach these teams, they'd all be so much better. Heck, they'd all be undefeated.
So we're not allowed to talk about what we see?

Here's a question for you, do you think the Bills can win a Super Bowl with their current style and Josh Allen playing QB? Bills look pretty during the regular season but can't win in the playoffs.

They've won their division the last 3 years after over a decade of Brady excellence, and have a decent chance at winning it again this year, yet the likes of the Chiefs and Bengals own them.

They lost to the Texans in the Wild Card game in 2019, lost to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship in 2020, lost again to the Chiefs in the divisional round in 2021, and then to the Bengals in the divisional round in 2022. Why do you think that is?

They're a finesse team that gets cute in all the wrong spots. Finesse doesn't stand the test of time over the course of the playoffs. That's not opinion, that's reality.

Too tall and slow. He's just a giant tackling dummy at this point.
That goal line run where he tried to bounce it left was frustrating to watch. It looked like he was stuck in quicksand as predators slowly walked him down. He's got to be one of the slowest skill position players in all of the NFL at this point. He's done. Harris can play the role they want Murray playing. Murray is bad and getting worse.

I just don't think they really know how to use him. Imo. He is the classic modern back and the Bills offense is that old school let your big armed QB bomb the ball and run hard between the tackles. Problem is you gotta get creative with Cook. Get him in space, quick pitches, motion him out. It's just hard to change when they are successful at what they do. Last night's game should not have been that close. They punted like 4 times in a row. That might be the motivation needed to add some designed Cook wrinkles to mix it up.

If only message boarders could coach these teams, they'd all be so much better. Heck, they'd all be undefeated.
First off, it's not rocket science. I can't draw up a game plan but I can see when and how an offense is being mismanaged.

I got news for ya, a lot of these coaches aren't that smart outside of their specialty.
Amen and also for most coaches success is the means to the primary goal of self preservation.

On that note a lot of coaches tend to get a little overly infatuated with players who do it like it's coached, even if they lack talent. Because if a talented player messes up he was coached poorly. If a guy does not have talent that's a build in excuse.

These goal line packages for Murray are just foolish. He's tall for a RB (6'3") and can't get low quickly. Plus, he's 33 and slower off the ball. Hard to believe the Bills seriously think he's more effective than Cook would be in close, but I guess they do. Or they just practice their goal line plays with Murray and don't vary on game day. I would love to see Cook get some carries in close to show what he can do.

They're a finesse team that gets cute in all the wrong spots. Finesse doesn't stand the test of time over the course of the playoffs. That's not opinion, that's reality.
The Chiefs and Bengals aren't finesse teams?
In their last 4 playoff losses, Josh Allen was the Bills' leading rusher. That's not a typo. That's also not a formula for consistent winning in the playoffs. Not once did a RB on the team outrush the QB in their last four playoff losses! They need to figure this out, it's not rocket science. And while Josh Allen is a big bodied QB who's fast, he's not Lamar. He's not Vick. He can sure sling it, but it's his hero syndrome that gets them in trouble. He doesn't understand that 4 yard runs can be extremely beneficial. Do it multiple times? Even better. They keep the chains moving while giving your defense a rest. Bills run for 4 once the next ball is going into the air, probably 20 yards downfield.

Against the Texans once, the Chiefs 2x, and the Bengals another....Josh Allen had more rushing yards than anyone else on the team. One of those games vs the Bengals, he only had 26 yards. Singletary had 25 that game, Cook 13. Mixon curb stomped the Bills that game, running for over 100 and becoming a big reason why the Bengals came out on top.

Without Pacheco, the Chiefs likely wouldn't have won last year. They're balanced, just like the Bengals. They take what the D gives them. They can run when needed, pass when needed, use their passing game as an extension of their running game and the list of differences goes on.

If you can't see the differences or why I called the Bills a finesse team, I'm not sure what else to say. It's also very different to note how Mahomes and Burrow don't force the ball down the field like Allen seemingly does every game. Allen looked better last game, but the Bills looked like the same old Bills. It's not sustainable in the NFL, decades have proven that fact. Are there exceptions to every rule? Of course, but why try to reinvent the wheel? Why try to beat the long odds?

I'll just add, if you want to throw it that much, good luck. All it takes is a little wind, rain or snow to really knock you off guard. Even worse are the referees we see each year who "just let them play" come playoff time. A little more DB holding allowed? A little more contact? Suddenly, explosive passing games are grounded.

I'll just add, if you want to throw it that much, good luck. All it takes is a little wind, rain or snow to really knock you off guard. Even worse are the referees we see each year who "just let them play" come playoff time. A little more DB holding allowed? A little more contact? Suddenly, explosive passing games are grounded.
Yeah, I remember the mugging that Harrison and Wayne got in the playoffs in NE back in the day.

That mentality will bite them in the arse come playoff time in bad weather.
This was a terrific post and it applies to many teams
It shows a thorough understanding of NFL History
-I know sometimes you take it on the chin for digging in and sharing some of the things you learned growing up and watching the NFL
I appreciate you JU

Cheers bud

I’ve been saying this from week 1 and in the game day threads. This is the reason Buffalo will never get past the Chiefs using the RB’s the way they do. They have no F***** clue how to utilize their talent effectively. Last year it was Singletary, year before he and Breida. This year using Murray at the GL and in the red zone is a joke. He brings nothing. He should be spelling Cook between the 20’s. You want your best playmakers on the field when you’re in the red zone. This shouldn’t be that difficult. They could have easily lost Thursday on the Hail Mary pass.

Starting this week?

Seriously debating starting Hunt (against Ari) or D Henderson (against GB) over him given their matchups and Bills facing CIN this week. So hard to gauge him he’s almost as boom or bust as Gabe Davis this year…

Starting this week?

Seriously debating starting Hunt (against Ari) or D Henderson (against GB) over him given their matchups and Bills facing CIN this week. So hard to gauge him he’s almost as boom or bust as Gabe Davis this year…
I’m rolling with Cook for lack of better options.
Yeah tough week for me at RB and have to roll Cook out…maybe even Demarcado or Darrynton Evans lol.

First off, it's not rocket science. I can't draw up a game plan but I can see when and how an offense is being mismanaged.

I got news for ya, a lot of these coaches aren't that smart outside of their specialty.
Hall of Fame armchair quarterbacking right here

I have seen this a lot in my career. Doctors, lawyers, politicians, CEOs. We tend to think these people must be a lot smarter than us.

In many many cases they aren’t. It wouldn’t surprise me that coaches fall into this category also. You don’t even need schooling/credentials to get a coaching role. Just the right supporters.

The Chiefs and Bengals aren't finesse teams?
In their last 4 playoff losses, Josh Allen was the Bills' leading rusher. That's not a typo. That's also not a formula for consistent winning in the playoffs. Not once did a RB on the team outrush the QB in their last four playoff losses! They need to figure this out, it's not rocket science. And while Josh Allen is a big bodied QB who's fast, he's not Lamar. He's not Vick. He can sure sling it, but it's his hero syndrome that gets them in trouble. He doesn't understand that 4 yard runs can be extremely beneficial. Do it multiple times? Even better. They keep the chains moving while giving your defense a rest. Bills run for 4 once the next ball is going into the air, probably 20 yards downfield.

Against the Texans once, the Chiefs 2x, and the Bengals another....Josh Allen had more rushing yards than anyone else on the team. One of those games vs the Bengals, he only had 26 yards. Singletary had 25 that game, Cook 13. Mixon curb stomped the Bills that game, running for over 100 and becoming a big reason why the Bengals came out on top.

Without Pacheco, the Chiefs likely wouldn't have won last year. They're balanced, just like the Bengals. They take what the D gives them. They can run when needed, pass when needed, use their passing game as an extension of their running game and the list of differences goes on.

If you can't see the differences or why I called the Bills a finesse team, I'm not sure what else to say. It's also very different to note how Mahomes and Burrow don't force the ball down the field like Allen seemingly does every game. Allen looked better last game, but the Bills looked like the same old Bills. It's not sustainable in the NFL, decades have proven that fact. Are there exceptions to every rule? Of course, but why try to reinvent the wheel? Why try to beat the long odds?
While I get what you are saying and for the most part I agree with it, I am not sure if finesse is the right word to describe what the Bill's offense is doing.

Finesse means using skill to achieve your goals as opposed to brute strength. Winning at the margins with just enough, rather than over powering with what you do best. Having contingency plans of attack if the main form is not enough.

I think you are describing the Bills offense as being too one dimensional, its trying to overpower the opponent with Josh Allen hero ball rather than finding other ways to win, which would be the opposite of finesse.

Perhaps this is just semantics on my part as far as my interpretation, but I do see a difference here. One interpretation of finesse is holding back your highest Trump card if you can win the trick with something less than that.

Users who are viewing this thread