What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Cook, BUF (1 Viewer)

I think the Lenny news is more a sign that Harris isn't coming back this year than it is Cook getting usurped.
Not so sure, there seems to be a lack of trust with Cook. Whether it is pass pro or running routes, they just do not seem to want to use him in the pass game. I thought he would become a “Jame White+” in that offense but something is amiss. Lenny is a proven commodity in that area and would immediately be called upon imo. Not a plus for Cook.
Looking at the news that came out pre-season when teams were kicking the tires on Fournette, the teams that passed on him, and the fact a team hasn't signed him already is a bad sign for Lenny IMO. He might be the top of the scrap heap, but it's still at the dump.

Why Cook didnt get any pass targets I do not know.

I didnt see the game but believe what Ive read here that Cook ran routes but Allen never looked his way. But then when they had Diggs run a route from the RB position he targeted him. This has been and I think continues to be a concern that Allen because of being a running QB does not look to check down as often as less mobile QBs do. Even though there has been talk from the coaches about making a intentional effort to change this about Allen it does not mean Allen is doing it. As far as Allen hitting Diggs on a similar play, well thats at least partly because Diggs was not available downfield.

In the previous game vs the Jaguars where he did not run well he had 4 targets and caught 3 of them. So this is just one game here. Cook is averaging 3 targets per game over 6 games so far. Remains to be seen if that ends up being his average over the course of the season or if it ends up being higher or lower than that.

As far as snap counts Murray and Cook both had about 50% of them. Murray started but I speculate he ended up playing more snaps than the Bills planned due to Harris getting injured. Ive said a couple times before that there are some splits that show Murray is better with his first 7 or so touches in a game than the touches following that. So the way he has been used previously was early on in the game then less after he wears down a bit. That may have been the plan here and why Murray got the "start".

I think its one game where weather was considered a factor following a game where Cook got stuffed and too soon to consider this a new trend. Especially when Cook ran the ball well once they started using him again in the 2nd offensive series.

Eta - Cooks catch rate and yards per target are fine on his season stats.

I mentioned just before season start that I traded Cook for Pickens, and took plenty of heat for that call. Some might think that makes me a Cook detractor. I am not. I think he's a terrific COP receiving RB on a great passing offense, which makes him more than valuable in fantasy. That said, he continues to be miscast by some peeps as a feature RB IMO, and that seems to be the disconnect. Whether it's fat uncle Lenny or grey beard Latavius or some other unknown bruiser RB the Bills have stashed somewhere, the Bills would be smart to limit Cook's touches and let someone else ram into piles (incl. GL) while he exploits the edges and space. Obviously, that limits his fantasy upside in a single week/game, but it will keep his (dare I say) 190 lb frame healthy for the long haul this season for the Bills looking to make a playoff run, and his fantasy owners, who should be seeking to do the same.

Still can't believe people considered him droppable. Offense looks so much more explosive with Cook out there than Murray. I think this past week was the passing of the torch.

Still can't believe people considered him droppable. Offense looks so much more explosive with Cook out there than Murray. I think this past week was the passing of the torch.
Except Murray started the game again.

And was in all over the game in key moments
Being in the game/starting and being effective are two different things. As the game went on it was clear that Cook was getting it done and Murray wasn't.

People were saying Cook was droppable which is just downright insane to me. In my opinion it's clear who the better player is in most situations. It's Cook by a mile. He's a solid RB2 with RB1 upside in the current 2023 fantasy redraft world.

Exactly. Obviously he's not droppable (I was obviously venting) but hes definitely a sell high.
Certainly more of a logical take. I personally wouldn't sell right now unless the price was right, but what do you think would be the return for Cook right now in a typical 12-team .5ppr redraft?

Exactly. Obviously he's not droppable (I was obviously venting) but hes definitely a sell high.
Certainly more of a logical take. I personally wouldn't sell right now unless the price was right, but what do you think would be the return for Cook right now in a typical 12-team .5ppr redraft?
Last week I offered him for Christian Watson (and was thankfully rejected). Id shoot a little higher this week. I think a WR2.

Suggesting he is droppable is insane for sure

I was just pointing out this is far from his backfield and RB2 seems to be his upside

In my league (12 team .5ppr .5 pp first down) he's currently RB12. Granted, no bye week for Buffalo yet, but I think people are way undervaluing him. I find the range of valuations interesting.

In a season where RBs are a premium, selling him for a WR2 seems shortsighted IMO. He's a solid RB on an offense that should improve/be better than they've been playing. But maybe I'm being too optimistic.

In my league (12 team .5ppr .5 pp first down) he's currently RB12. Granted, no bye week for Buffalo yet, but I think people are way undervaluing him. I find the range of valuations interesting.

In a season where RBs are a premium, selling him for a WR2 seems shortsighted IMO. He's a solid RB on an offense that should improve/be better than they've been playing. But maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Nope you are dead on...he is a very solid fantasy RB in today's world but will always be undervalued for those chasing an old school bell cow.

And finished I think
Does this matter when Murray plays 45% of the snaps with 6 touches and Cook plays 52% of the snaps but 16 touches?

Thats about 3 times the opportunity for Cook.

Not to be like MOP but I will say for the 3rd time that Murray tends to do better earlier on in the game. So the Bills starting him, letting him do that to tire out the defense a bit then switching to Cook after that does not matter much when Cook is getting so many more opportunities.

Cook had 3 targets in this game which is his average for the season and delivered 46 yards and a TD with 3 receptions.

Should Allen throw the ball to Cook more? The numbers say yes.

Murray spent most of his snaps pass blocking.

This guy would be a monster if Allen didn't try to win the game on every play. It's maddening to watch Cook running free underneath and sometimes 10-15 yards down field as Allen tries to force it 30 downfield to Diggs or Davis. The Bills would be so much better if they utilized their players according to their strengths. Cook and Kinkaid to a lesser extent could be helping this team so much. I'm not really sure if this is a game plan issue or a Josh Allen issue but Allen will go the route of Carson Wentz if he doesn't wise up. You don't have to be a hero every play. Patience and taking what the D gives you is key, but I'm getting off topic. Cook has looked good this year. If he can't block? Keep Knox in there, put Kinkaid in the slot and let Cook run away from linebackers. Buffalo needs to take a look in the mirror and figure out who they really are vs who they think they want to be.

I dont think thats off topic at all. Its very much related to Cook.

I also think its on Allen not the coaches. The coaches have been saying they want this to happen for multiple seasons now. Its why they drafted Cook.

But it still doesnt happen as much as it could. Its the QB.

It's like when they told Allen to run less he still wanted to make the same amount of hero plays. The offense is currently unbalanced because Josh is trying to hit hime runs with Diggs each play. There's too much talent on this Bills offense for them to keep floundering around against bad teams like the Giants and Pats.

It's like when they told Allen to run less he still wanted to make the same amount of hero plays. The offense is currently unbalanced because Josh is trying to hit hime runs with Diggs each play. There's too much talent on this Bills offense for them to keep floundering around against bad teams like the Giants and Pats.
I wonder if that's coaching and play calling. Does Allen have the right relationship with the OC? Are plays being called that set things up so Allen doesn't feel the wait and chuck need? Or can Allen just not help himself?

Let's face it, Buffalo for some reason wants Murray to get a lot of work. Crazy to me but until that stops Cook is a mere flex play.

Nothing like having to climb out of a Thursday hole.

I don’t get the usage. This kid explodes every time he touches the ball.
I've been massively disappointed so far, but I'm holding out hope for the second half of the season for the following reasons.

-He's a slighter back, and it makes sense for Bills coaching to manage his touches. He's a player you want fully healthy and in prime condition going into the playoffs. I think he'll be more central in the second half of the season.
-The Bills offense still isn't hitting on all cylinders, and if they do get there, there will be more offensive plays overall, and more scoring opportunities.
-I personally think Cook was running with a bit more fire tonight after losing the start to Murray.

I could be wrong, but no one in my league will give up a WR2 for Cook, and I'm not selling for a WR3.

Relax guys, it takes time for the oven to warm up but we are cooking tonight.
Think the oven is broken.
It's a slow cooker lmao
It's a no cooker, Sean McDummy prefers rest home running backs.
I carry for Cook in the 2nd half. Averaging over 5 yards a carry tonight, but can't get the ball. Perplexing
Thank you. I don’t think Cook is CMC or ETN but he’s pretty good, right?

Well that sucked, iswtg it’s the last time I start a player who gets less points than a similar player on my bench.

Well that sucked, iswtg it’s the last time I start a player who gets less points than a similar player on my bench.
8 points not end of the world. He was projected for 12. Missed his projection by 4
Those projections are a joke. Bottom line is that the Bills running game has been and will continue to be risky at best. I believe we knew this going into the season. People ask, why not include Cook more in the passing game? Well, I agree to the extent that if you're not going to run the ball, at least use the short passing game to your RBs to resemble a running game.

Last edited:
8 points not end of the world. He was projected for 12. Missed his projection by 4
Those projections are a joke. Bottom line is that the Bills running game has been and will continue to be risky at best. I believe we knew this going into the season. People ask, why not include Cook more in the passing game. Well, I agree to the extent that if you're not going to run the ball, at least use the short passing game to your RBs to resemble a running game.
Yes that is the puzzling part. It was the one thing he was definitely good at coming out of college and the one thing they have repeatedly said they need.

I didn't watch the game last night but I do see the Bill's got Shakir, Davis and Kincaid more involved. So that's basically what happened.

The Bucs defense is better vs RBs (8th) than it is vs WR (24th) so I can understand a game plan that attacks the defenses weakness.

Those projections are a joke. Bottom line is that the Bills running game has been and will continue to be risky at best. I believe we knew this going into the season. People ask, why not include Cook more in the passing game. Well, I agree to the extent that if you're not going to run the ball, at least use the short passing game to your RBs to resemble a running game.
Yes that is the puzzling part. It was the one thing he was definitely good at coming out of college and the one thing they have repeatedly said they need.
I fault the coaching. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if they put everything on Josh Allen's shoulders and sometimes his legs. They are just looking for him to make the big play and I think at the expense of a more balanced attack. Like I said, I believe they should throw it short to their RBs more when they abandon the running game.

Users who are viewing this thread