What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (2 Viewers)

It’s only week two fellas. Campbell made it pretty clear he was gonna be eased in. I’m not jumping ship just yet
Its not at all a positive that Craig Reynolds got touches over him when Monty got hurt
I am sure the Montgomery owners said that every time Gibbs got touches. Teams use more than one RB.

When Monty was in the game he out touched Gibbs 2 to 1 and Reynolds got nothing
When Monty got hurt Gibbs out touched Reynolds 2 to 1

It sure looks like Gibbs immediately became the RB1 and Reynolds became the RB2. If Monty misses time I would expect those ratios to hold.

The only concern is at the goal line where Reynolds outweighs Gibbs by 15lbs. But that was the concern all along.
That is fair, I was watching youtube 8 box mana so I missed that, just every time I saw that part of the game it was Reynolds

That said, the question is draft capital, you drafted Monty with a certain expectation based on Gibbs and the split (and to be fair anyone who drafted gibbs too, it was just a 3 round separation)

And look, shame on the drafters, but part of this first quarter of the season is parsing usage, team confidence and player competence.

Non one is selling Gibbs at a discount... but maybe we should. I don't think he's a league winner by any respect but the reason for my opinion is how we saw Swift get used.

I assumed if they dumped Swift for what looks like a lateral move, there was more upside there

Maybe in this week we can see based on how Philly used swift, Detroit ISN'T that bright and left meat on the bone with Swift.
While that is possible that Detroit did not get the best use out of Swift as they could, I dont think how the Eagles used Swift vs the Vikings is a good example of that.

The Vikings often played less than 3 defensive linemen vs the Eagles in that game and the Vikings head coach is on record that their defensive game plan was intentionally inviting the Eagles to run the ball. As baffling as that might sound. As a Vikings fan I am disgusted with their "plan" and that the coach would tell reporters this with a straight face. But that is what happened.

So I think this is a bad example of the Eagles knowing how to use Swift better than the Lions did and more an example of how poorly the Vikings roster is constructed and how bad their defensive philosophy is. I feel sorry for the Vikings players being forced to execute this way and somehow buy in to the game plan.

I am sure if the Vikings played defense like this against the Lions and their other starting RB was injured as Gainwell was for the Eagles in this game, they would have used Swift like this as well.

The logic behind the Vikings doing this was supposedly to take away RPO elements of the Eagles offense and limit big plays, which they were not very successful at doing either.

The Lions do not have Jalen Hurts though, so this a significant difference to consider I guess.
I like Campbell and I like Detroit so not here to dunk on them. I'm rooting for long overdue success to their fans. But that said, Sunday is a HORRENDOUS loss off the chief win. You have to beat the team traveling west to east, when you're off a mini bye and they're missing both tackles. So if I know only one thing, its that they aren't infallible. I do like your point here and Goff certainly isn't Hurts in terms of a threat but it will be interesting to see if they take their two Minnesota games to play copy cat and attack a similar way with a similar player

Swift isn't a league winner this year but my oh my in a week or two you might listen to Swift for Gibbs offers and I don't know if the Swift owner bites
I'd take swift for Gibbs in a heartbeat right now
Just seen swift , mingo and a mid first for gibbs go through this morning. Both pretty savvy veteran dynasty owners.
"Not great Bob"
Oh, the Gibbs thread was hilarious at the beginning of the season. Overreaction City.

Not exactly a 1-1 comparison, but I keep getting flashbacks to the 2008 Titans with CJ2k and LenDale, where they kept using White at the GL, and to run out the clock in games when CJ2k was a rookie, but they realized who the better player was, and I could see that happening to an extent with Gibbs/Monty. Monty is fine, but Gibbs is a lot more talented.

I don't think it'd be a big surprise if Gibbs was the RB2 overall in 2024 behind only CMC.

Not exactly a 1-1 comparison, but I keep getting flashbacks to the 2008 Titans with CJ2k and LenDale, where they kept using White at the GL, and to run out the clock in games when CJ2k was a rookie, but they realized who the better player was, and I could see that happening to an extent with Gibbs/Monty. Monty is fine, but Gibbs is a lot more talented.

I don't think it'd be a big surprise if Gibbs was the RB2 overall in 2024 behind only CMC.

Gibbs stats will be towards the top and could even lead the league. The Lions like the thunder and lightning concept, but this season will be more on the lightning side. Monty will be closer to 800 yards than 1000 yards rushing this season, and Gibbs will be over 1600 total yards.

Gibbs stats will be towards the top and could even lead the league. The Lions like the thunder and lightning concept, but this season will be more on the lightning side. Monty will be closer to 800 yards than 1000 yards rushing this season, and Gibbs will be over 1600 total yards.

I could see that. I like #26 to post a top 5 season, especially if they figure out how to better utilize him as a receiving. He was very underwhelming, not nearly as dynamic at producing splash plays as Swift was in the same system.

Monty is dawg, more elusive than most realize, and money when they it's 3rd/4th & short. He's also a really good receiver, albeit underutilized by Ben Johnson. Without question he is still going to have a big role, but I could see his numbers declining moderately.

Utilization wise, they ended up with 235 touches for Monty and 234 for Jah. After the season, both the player and the coaches said it didn't click for the rookie until the Baltimore game. Before that he was running too hard, too fast, instead of being patient and waiting for the holes to develop. 53 touches in 4 games through Week 6, then 181 over the last 11 games. Trading for him while he was hurt was the biggest reason I won a title in redraft last year.

The Lions scored 69 touchdowns across 20 games, 58 during the regular season. Four different guys hit double digits, and I think they'll spread the love again. You never know for sure what Ben will dial up.

Monty 15
Gibbs 14
ARSB 11
LaPorta 11
Reynolds 6 (signed with DEN)
Jamo 5

no one else had more than 2

(that is, confusingly, for all 20 games - regular season only, it was 13, 11, 10, 10, 5, 3 for the six I listed there)

Users who are viewing this thread