What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (3 Viewers)

As far as Gibbs play so far its only been 2 games. He is a rookie. They tend to make mistakes. Gibbs has a different skill set than a lot of RB as a tweener RB/WR so there is more he has to learn and master than a more traditional RB and that learning curve may take longer.

The Lions have a quality RB in all phases in Montgommery, so no need to rush him into opportunities either.

He is clearly very talented and I am sure that will start showing up in the box score eventually. Similar to McCaffrey he may not truly break out until his second season.

I understand people are dissapointed right now and maybe had too high of expectations/investment as part of that. But be paitient. I think eventually he puts it all together.

Explain to me how he is 'clearly' NFL talented. Lots of 1st round rbs stink
He looked really good week 1, I think he was top 3 in broken tackles week1 despite not many touches. He didn’t show nearly as much today. He’s got talent. Just not sure what kind of usage it will end up equating to ultimately.

They all have talent that's why they are in the nfl...they don't just all work out in the nfl

As far as Gibbs play so far its only been 2 games. He is a rookie. They tend to make mistakes. Gibbs has a different skill set than a lot of RB as a tweener RB/WR so there is more he has to learn and master than a more traditional RB and that learning curve may take longer.

The Lions have a quality RB in all phases in Montgommery, so no need to rush him into opportunities either.

He is clearly very talented and I am sure that will start showing up in the box score eventually. Similar to McCaffrey he may not truly break out until his second season.

I understand people are dissapointed right now and maybe had too high of expectations/investment as part of that. But be paitient. I think eventually he puts it all together.

He has speed and ability that few RB can match.

If that isnt clear then Im not sure what to tell you.

So you say...heard that story a hundred times over for 1st round rb failures...especially ones that are taken too early

I'm not saying he won't work out just questioning how you can be so sure of yourself that he is clearly an nfl talent
You can never be sure.

I thought Trent Richardson was a stone cold lock to be a great NFL RB. Nope.

As far as if he was drafted too early? That remains to be seen.

Your statement that I am so "sure" Gibbs is going to be a great player is not really accurate either. I am just saying he has the traits and talent to become a great RB in time. I dont know when or if that might happen any more than anyone else.

My point is that passing judgement about this after 2 games is way too soon. It might not even happen this season but next season if it does. Although I suspect we will see flashes of his full potential at some point this season. Maybe towards the 2nd half of it. He isnt there yet.

So you say...heard that story a hundred times over for 1st round rb failures...especially ones that are taken too early

I'm not saying he won't work out just questioning how you can be so sure of yourself that he is clearly an nfl talent
You can never be sure.

Your statement that I am so "sure" Gibbs is going to be a great player is not really accurate either. I am just saying he has the traits and talent to become a great RB in time. I dont know when or if that might happen any more than anyone else.

My point is that passing judgement about this after 2 games is way too soon. It might not even happen this season but next season if it does. Although I suspect we will see flashes of his full potential at some point this season. Maybe towards the 2nd half of it. He isnt there yet.

I agree and I'm not passing judgement per se...I'm speaking fantasy wise and this guy will be a bust for most of the 1st half of the season and hard to start

Richardson is a great example of so many people thinking he was can't lose (and he's just one of many). Gibbs is a weird back because he's probably too small to run 25 times a game (and not built that way) so he needs a lot of passes or to act like a wr...i don't know, seems like a weird role to me

He looked really good week 1, I think he was top 3 in broken tackles week1 despite not many touches. He didn’t show nearly as much today. He’s got talent. Just not sure what kind of usage it will end up equating to ultimately.
yeah, that broken tackle thing I thought was a bit of a red herring. He broke some tackles, but that's not his game, we cannot count on that like we can with Henry or Javonte. I want to see elusiveness. My question about Gibbs is as a runner of the football. From the backfield. handoff, pitch, whatever. If he's going to be Kamara, he needs to be a back who is really good at carrying the ball. I haven't seen that from him, college or pro. He was effective in college, but when I watched his runs, I never saw special vision.

His targets are already there. He has that many targets every week, he's going to be a worthy starter. targets-wise, he's already RB1 levels.

But for the upside, he needs to be a good enough RB that they make sure they give him carries.

You can never be sure.

I agree and I'm not passing judgement per se...I'm speaking fantasy wise and this guy will be a bust for most of the 1st half of the season and hard to start

Richardson is a great example of so many people thinking he was can't lose (and he's just one of many). Gibbs is a weird back because he's probably too small to run 25 times a game (and not built that way) so he needs a lot of passes or to act like a wr...i don't know, seems like a weird role to me
As far as him being a tweener RB/WR this isnt that weird in todays NFL that keeps shifting more to the passing game.

Christian McCaffrey, Austin Eckler, Alvin Kamara some of the examples that have really hit in recent years from the RB position.

Percy Harvin, Deebo Samuel from the WR position.

And there are more examples of this, just a few well known ones off the top of my head.

A lot of these players did not reach their full potential in their rookie seasons either. They were better in their 2nd seasons and after that. It just takes time for them to fully develop to their full potential, if they do. They have more to learn than just how to be a good RB.

Kamara is maybe the exception to this, but he had Drew Brees and Sean Payton to work with. Both of whom have been exceptionally favorable to RB with recieving ability.

was watching a Fantasy Doctors video on Amon-Ra St Brown injury and they mentioned in that video that Gibbs tweaked his ankle today. I haven't really seen any other news on this and did not see it happen. Any info on this floating around?

was watching a Fantasy Doctors video on Amon-Ra St Brown injury and they mentioned in that video that Gibbs tweaked his ankle today. I haven't really seen any other news on this and did not see it happen. Any info on this floating around?
Saw him get up slow and wince

Seems to have an history of ankle issues. Not the biggest guy and takes big hits in the middle

So he gets 16 opportunities, leads the team in targets and receptions and people are freaking out.

That tracks.
Half of those opportunities came after Monty got hurt, and he did next to nothing with them all game. There's no other way to spin this, he's been a pretty big disappointment so far.
It's true. The disappointment is much larger this week than last week. At least last week he looked great on his limited touches. Still not selling though.

It’s only week two fellas. Campbell made it pretty clear he was gonna be eased in. I’m not jumping ship just yet
Its not at all a positive that Craig Reynolds got touches over him when Monty got hurt

Gibby is a small RB, don`t expect him to be pounded between the tackles. Reynolds is better in that aspect. In a high scoring game like yesterday I thought that would be perfect..and I know it is cliche but Gibby could have had an 80 TD catch that slipped through his hands. Catches that is he is gone. Again being a rookie who is involved in the passing game takes a little more time than just handing it off.

So he gets 16 opportunities, leads the team in targets and receptions and people are freaking out.

That tracks.
Half of those opportunities came after Monty got hurt, and he did next to nothing with them all game. There's no other way to spin this, he's been a pretty big disappointment so far.
You just spun it another way so...
He's underperformed expectations so far, there's no spin there it's simply a fact. Half of his opportunities coming after Monty got hurt is also simply a fact.

If you want to try to spin his "opportunities" as some big positive knock yourself out, all I did was provide context for them, which you can choose to ignore if it makes you feel better. I'm not aware of any points per opportunity leagues, in all other formats he's been disappointing. Hopefully that changes quickly.

Last edited:
It’s only week two fellas. Campbell made it pretty clear he was gonna be eased in. I’m not jumping ship just yet
Its not at all a positive that Craig Reynolds got touches over him when Monty got hurt

Gibby is a small RB, don`t expect him to be pounded between the tackles. Reynolds is better in that aspect. In a high scoring game like yesterday I thought that would be perfect..and I know it is cliche but Gibby could have had an 80 TD catch that slipped through his hands. Catches that is he is gone. Again being a rookie who is involved in the passing game takes a little more time than just handing it off.
They were trailing at that point though, Gibbs should be who you want on the field to be accounted for or be explosive.

Reynolds is a JAG plodder

That tracks.
He's underperformed expectations so far, there's no spin there it's simply a fact. Half of his opportunities coming after Monty got hurt is also simply a fact.

If you want to try to spin his "opportunities" as some big positive knock yourself out, all I did was provide context for them, which you can choose to ignore if it makes you feel better. I'm not aware of any points per opportunity leagues, in all other formats he's been disappointing. Hopefully that changes quickly.
16 opportunities is also a fact.

You don't get points per opportunity you also don't get points for not getting opportunities.

Context is spin.

He has underperformed expectations. Is that the fault of the performance or the expectation?

He had eight opportunities prior to Monty getting hurt (3:00 left in the 3rd) and eight after. That tracks with where expectations should have been.

It did change quickly. Gibbs went from a 33/66 split with Monty to a 66/33 split with Reynolds.

They were trailing at that point though, Gibbs should be who you want on the field to be accounted for or be explosive.

Reynolds is a JAG plodder
He was on the field more. He immediately moved into the #1 role and Reynolds stepped in as his backup.

That tracks.

You don't get points per opportunity you also don't get points for not getting opportunities.

Context is spin.

He has underperformed expectations. Is that the fault of the performance or the expectation?

He had eight opportunities prior to Monty getting hurt (3:00 left in the 3rd) and eight after. That tracks with where expectations should have been.

It did change quickly. Gibbs went from a 33/66 split with Monty to a 66/33 split with Reynolds.
The 16 opportunities is a fact, it just so happens to have nothing to do with why people are "freaking out", nor has it helped his FF teams.

Your entire post was context/spin, mine gave the factual reason why people are concerned- he has underperformed expectations. Whose fault that is doesn't really matter, although it's likely a combination of both (I'd lean more toward performance this week). A 2.4 ypc and 5.6 ypr with a terrible drop and being the 5th leading FF scorer (not including QB) on his team this week certainly isn't good. And IMO, within the context of it being the home opener, in a high scoring game, against a very weak D makes the performance look even worse, not better. Of course, you're free to believe otherwise.

I know exactly how the "opportunities" broke down, that's why I brought them up. Again, not the point at all, but I still don't see how that's a positive. He was on pace for another low touch day, but this time his performance on those touches was poor. He ended up getting more touches than expected due to injury, but still didn't perform any better with them. I don't see that as a reason to be optimistic at all, it's not like he "earned" them, nor did he capitalize on them.

That tracks.

Context is spin.

The 16 opportunities is a fact, it just so happens to have nothing to do with why people are "freaking out", nor has it helped his FF teams.

Your entire post was context/spin, mine gave the factual reason why people are concerned- he has underperformed expectations. Whose fault that is doesn't really matter, although it's likely a combination of both (I'd lean more toward performance this week). A 2.4 ypc and 5.6 ypr with a terrible drop and being the 5th leading FF scorer (not including QB) on his team this week certainly isn't good. And IMO, within the context of it being the home opener, in a high scoring game, against a very weak D makes the performance look even worse, not better. Of course, you're free to believe otherwise.

I know exactly how the "opportunities" broke down, that's why I brought them up. Again, not the point at all, but I still don't see how that's a positive. He was on pace for another low touch day, but this time his performance on those touches was poor. He ended up getting more touches than expected due to injury, but still didn't perform any better with them. I don't see that as a reason to be optimistic at all, it's not like he "earned" them, nor did he capitalize on them.
He's really just DeAndre Swift 2.0... and its just a head scratcher from a Detroit perspective to waste a 12 pick on a guy like this but so be it, thats their usage and the way it goes

He’s no Bijan or even close to it .. that’s for sure … looking like a 3rd specialist rather than a cowbell or anything close

I miss the days of long long ago like in 2019 or so when we would allow a few weeks before expecting things from rookies.
Except in 2019 Josh Jacobs was a RB1 right from the get go. And in 2018 so was Saquon. In 2020 it was Taylor. Etc.

That said, I completely agree that it's only 2 weeks and it's far too early to close the book on him. That doesn't mean it hasn't been a disappointing start or owners have no reason to be concerned at all.

It's only been 2 games, and the Lions clearly haven't figured out to use him correctly yet. It's hard to get into a rhythm when you get 1 carry every 15-20 minutes. Now with Montgomery sidelined for a few weeks I see that changing.

James Cook is 5'11 190lbs and he is a 3 down back and arguably the only thing keeping him from being a top 5 back now is that Josh Allen and Murray have been stealing the goal line carries.

Gibbs is 5'9" 200lbs which is heavier than Cook, and faster (top speed of 23 mph) why can't you see him being used more and being successful especially given the offensive line he plays behind?

giphy.gif

It's only been 2 games, and the Lions clearly haven't figured out to use him correctly yet. It's hard to get into a rhythm when you get 1 carry every 15-20 minutes. Now with Montgomery sidelined for a few weeks I see that changing.

James Cook is 5'11 190lbs and he is a 3 down back and arguably the only thing keeping him from being a top 5 back now is that Josh Allen and Murray have been stealing the goal line carries.

Gibbs is 5'9" 200lbs which is heavier than Cook, and faster (top speed of 23 mph) why can't you see him being used more and being successful especially given the offensive line he plays behind?

We will see what happens going forward if Monty is out.

I am sure the Montgomery owners said that every time Gibbs got touches. Teams use more than one RB.

When Monty was in the game he out touched Gibbs 2 to 1 and Reynolds got nothing
When Monty got hurt Gibbs out touched Reynolds 2 to 1

It sure looks like Gibbs immediately became the RB1 and Reynolds became the RB2. If Monty misses time I would expect those ratios to hold.

The only concern is at the goal line where Reynolds outweighs Gibbs by 15lbs. But that was the concern all along.

I am sure the Montgomery owners said that every time Gibbs got touches. Teams use more than one RB.

It sure looks like Gibbs immediately became the RB1 and Reynolds became the RB2. If Monty misses time I would expect those ratios to hold.

The only concern is at the goal line where Reynolds outweighs Gibbs by 15lbs. But that was the concern all along.
That is fair, I was watching youtube 8 box mana so I missed that, just every time I saw that part of the game it was Reynolds

That said, the question is draft capital, you drafted Monty with a certain expectation based on Gibbs and the split (and to be fair anyone who drafted gibbs too, it was just a 3 round separation)

And look, shame on the drafters, but part of this first quarter of the season is parsing usage, team confidence and player competence.

Non one is selling Gibbs at a discount... but maybe we should. I don't think he's a league winner by any respect but the reason for my opinion is how we saw Swift get used.

I assumed if they dumped Swift for what looks like a lateral move, there was more upside there

Maybe in this week we can see based on how Philly used swift, Detroit ISN'T that bright and left meat on the bone with Swift.

I've tried acquiring in a few leagues and owners are still holding with diamond hands. In fact most counter offers I've received it seems like they are actually pricing him higher than his ADP where they drafted him. As though he's already been over achieving rather than under. I don't think he's getting moved anytime soon, including redraft leagues. At least not the large majority of them.

I don’t see how a young player will ever get in a rhythm without playing an entire series. Excited to see how much he learns this week from practice squad Chris

I don’t see how a young player will ever get in a rhythm without playing an entire series. Excited to see how much he learns this week from practice squad Chris
Exactly. You can't get a feel for the defense or the game flow

I don't know what you mean by "practice squad Chris"

Craig. Chris. Ryan.

Craig. Chris. Ryan.
Bill, James, Rupert.

What do I win?

That is fair, I was watching youtube 8 box mana so I missed that, just every time I saw that part of the game it was Reynolds

That said, the question is draft capital, you drafted Monty with a certain expectation based on Gibbs and the split (and to be fair anyone who drafted gibbs too, it was just a 3 round separation)

And look, shame on the drafters, but part of this first quarter of the season is parsing usage, team confidence and player competence.

Non one is selling Gibbs at a discount... but maybe we should. I don't think he's a league winner by any respect but the reason for my opinion is how we saw Swift get used.

I assumed if they dumped Swift for what looks like a lateral move, there was more upside there

Maybe in this week we can see based on how Philly used swift, Detroit ISN'T that bright and left meat on the bone with Swift.
While that is possible that Detroit did not get the best use out of Swift as they could, I dont think how the Eagles used Swift vs the Vikings is a good example of that.

The Vikings often played less than 3 defensive linemen vs the Eagles in that game and the Vikings head coach is on record that their defensive game plan was intentionally inviting the Eagles to run the ball. As baffling as that might sound. As a Vikings fan I am disgusted with their "plan" and that the coach would tell reporters this with a straight face. But that is what happened.

So I think this is a bad example of the Eagles knowing how to use Swift better than the Lions did and more an example of how poorly the Vikings roster is constructed and how bad their defensive philosophy is. I feel sorry for the Vikings players being forced to execute this way and somehow buy in to the game plan.

I am sure if the Vikings played defense like this against the Lions and their other starting RB was injured as Gainwell was for the Eagles in this game, they would have used Swift like this as well.

The logic behind the Vikings doing this was supposedly to take away RPO elements of the Eagles offense and limit big plays, which they were not very successful at doing either.

The Lions do not have Jalen Hurts though, so this a significant difference to consider I guess.

While that is possible that Detroit did not get the best use out of Swift as they could, I dont think how the Eagles used Swift vs the Vikings is a good example of that.

The Vikings often played less than 3 defensive linemen vs the Eagles in that game and the Vikings head coach is on record that their defensive game plan was intentionally inviting the Eagles to run the ball. As baffling as that might sound. As a Vikings fan I am disgusted with their "plan" and that the coach would tell reporters this with a straight face. But that is what happened.

So I think this is a bad example of the Eagles knowing how to use Swift better than the Lions did and more an example of how poorly the Vikings roster is constructed and how bad their defensive philosophy is. I feel sorry for the Vikings players being forced to execute this way and somehow buy in to the game plan.

I am sure if the Vikings played defense like this against the Lions and their other starting RB was injured as Gainwell was for the Eagles in this game, they would have used Swift like this as well.

The logic behind the Vikings doing this was supposedly to take away RPO elements of the Eagles offense and limit big plays, which they were not very successful at doing either.

The Lions do not have Jalen Hurts though, so this a significant difference to consider I guess.
I like Campbell and I like Detroit so not here to dunk on them. I'm rooting for long overdue success to their fans. But that said, Sunday is a HORRENDOUS loss off the chief win. You have to beat the team traveling west to east, when you're off a mini bye and they're missing both tackles. So if I know only one thing, its that they aren't infallible. I do like your point here and Goff certainly isn't Hurts in terms of a threat but it will be interesting to see if they take their two Minnesota games to play copy cat and attack a similar way with a similar player

Swift isn't a league winner this year but my oh my in a week or two you might listen to Swift for Gibbs offers and I don't know if the Swift owner bites

I like Campbell and I like Detroit so not here to dunk on them. I'm rooting for long overdue success to their fans. But that said, Sunday is a HORRENDOUS loss off the chief win. You have to beat the team traveling west to east, when you're off a mini bye and they're missing both tackles. So if I know only one thing, its that they aren't infallible. I do like your point here and Goff certainly isn't Hurts in terms of a threat but it will be interesting to see if they take their two Minnesota games to play copy cat and attack a similar way with a similar player

Swift isn't a league winner this year but my oh my in a week or two you might listen to Swift for Gibbs offers and I don't know if the Swift owner bites
I'd take swift for Gibbs in a heartbeat right now

Gibby went way too early in my league but I am in a homer league. I jumped on Swift as he fell. Hard to believe Swift is only 24 and has talent. Production has always been there, and his injuries have not been to knees. Will never know what went wrong in Detroit.

Will never know what went wrong in Detroit.
Detroit fans do not know exactly what happened, Swift will be a measuring stick regarding the two organizations. If I had to make a bet, I think Swift will be too injured to play effectively and trust within the next three games.

Will never know what went wrong in Detroit.
Detroit fans do not know exactly what happened, Swift will be a measuring stick regarding the two organizations. If I had to make a bet, I think Swift will be too injured to play effectively and trust within the next three games.

Fragile Fred Taylor missed 23 games his first 4 seasons. Then played 9 more seasons only missing a couple. The groin pulls are killers for RBs. Swift has had 2 groin pulls his first two seasons and a shoulder joint issue. No knee issue.

I am not saying he will be a bell cow RB at all. Just worthy of a #2 RB or flex for sure. Swift produces when on the field. I wish the Lions still had him.

Swift may get hurt but many other RBs will go down this year as well.

I think Swift is a good player but you seem to have missed the point.

The Vikings intentionally let the Eagles run at will.

I know this isn’t the advice forum but I find it useful to read about perceived value of players.

Does Mike Evans for Gibbs seem fair after two weeks?

Zonovan Bam Knight signed to the 53 man. Expect him to get a healthy dose of inside gap & counter runs.
Seems like the Lions really know what they are doing. Draft a guy 12th overall because you love his talent.

Pick up random players and use mediocre talent instead of high draft pick. I mean if you are an organization that is used to losing this seems like the right line of thinking. Guess we'll find out on Sunday. Super excited to see Gibbs on the sideline for most of the game again :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread