What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (1 Viewer)

I am absolutely shocked by his usage. Shocked.

32 carries? Are you kidding me?

Gibbs a complete afterthought.

Not even that, they are running Montgomery late in the game when a scrub like Reynolds should be in there.

Shocked. But as a Montgomery owner, very happy.
I left him on my bench. Not happy about it. Here to suffer will all of the other unfortunates. Thought he would be limited. 32 carries is crazy.
I’m here with you man. Won’t happen again though!

I am absolutely shocked by his usage. Shocked.

32 carries? Are you kidding me?

Gibbs a complete afterthought.

Not even that, they are running Montgomery late in the game when a scrub like Reynolds should be in there.

Shocked. But as a Montgomery owner, very happy.
I left him on my bench. Not happy about it. Here to suffer will all of the other unfortunates. Thought he would be limited. 32 carries is crazy.
I’m here with you man. Won’t happen again though!
Had him on bench only two leauges I own him.

Can't see how you can't play 4 days ago and can handle 34 touches. Sounds like some NBA style load management BS.

34 touches is likely going to be the season high for Monty, but boy, he seems to be without question clearly ahead of Gibbs. The fact that Gibbs couldn't even get on the field for clock killing is a bad sign for him, as the Lions have a very easy schedule coming up.

The TDs aren't going away, the carries are likely going to be around 20 or more weekly. Monty might be a top-10 RB, and I'll be the first to eat all the crow on it. I really thought a RB taken #12 overall would be a much bigger part of the offense, but he's a 3rd down RB and that's basically it.

34 touches is likely going to be the season high for Monty, but boy, he seems to be without question clearly ahead of Gibbs. The fact that Gibbs couldn't even get on the field for clock killing is a bad sign for him, as the Lions have a very easy schedule coming up.

The TDs aren't going away, the carries are likely going to be around 20 or more weekly. Monty might be a top-10 RB, and I'll be the first to eat all the crow on it. I really thought a RB taken #12 overall would be a much bigger part of the offense, but he's a 3rd down RB and that's basically it.
He's not even a 3rd down RB dude

He's not even a 3rd down RB dude
Nope. I kept cursing that #5 was always in on 3rd downs as well. Gibbs is there for breathers.

True, but I don't think it's too much to ask when you subscribe. They email us before all games usually. This game? Zippo. Not happy.

@Joe Bryant

We try to strike the right balance of sending enough emails but not too many. We send an email on Sundays with all the inactives. We don't send those by email for the Thursday night and the Monday night games as people have said they don't want additional emails.

In the Daily Email Update email we sent you Wednesday night, we said this about Montgomery:

7. DET: David Montgomery looking good for Week 4?​

Source: 1 No Source

Detroit Lions RB David Montgomery (thigh) appears to be on the right track to play in Week 4 against the Green Bay Packers, according to comments from head coach Dan Campbell on Tuesday, Sept. 26.

Our view: The Lions play against the Packers on Thursday night. Montgomery could be back out there as their lead back, but the Lions should still mix things up with an RBBC featuring rookie RB Jahmyr Gibbs as well. When Montgomery returns, Craig Reynolds should get a smaller role.

We certainly didn't expect him to score 3 touchdowns, but we told folks it looked like he was playing. We had him ranked RB29 which was obviously too low.

True, but I don't think it's too much to ask when you subscribe. They email us before all games usually. This game? Zippo. Not happy.

@Joe Bryant

We try to strike the right balance of sending enough emails but not too many. We send an email on Sundays with all the inactives. We don't send those by email for the Thursday night and the Monday night games as people have said they don't want additional emails.

In the Daily Email Update email we sent you Wednesday night, we said this about Montgomery:

7. DET: David Montgomery looking good for Week 4?​

Source: 1 No Source

Detroit Lions RB David Montgomery (thigh) appears to be on the right track to play in Week 4 against the Green Bay Packers, according to comments from head coach Dan Campbell on Tuesday, Sept. 26.

Our view: The Lions play against the Packers on Thursday night. Montgomery could be back out there as their lead back, but the Lions should still mix things up with an RBBC featuring rookie RB Jahmyr Gibbs as well. When Montgomery returns, Craig Reynolds should get a smaller role.

We certainly didn't expect him to score 3 touchdowns, but we told folks it looked like he was playing. We had him ranked RB29 which was obviously too low.
It was well understood early in the day that Montgomery was playing. Several sources indicated as much.

What NOBODY knew was he was going to get that kind of load.

For example, A. Jones was active and it was clear they were limiting his touches. That's what many thought Mongtomery would get. Nope.

Sometimes it's impossible to know.

I'd consider offering to trade away David Montgomery for the right player. And it would be a lot. Not because he's not a good player. I just can't imagine his value will ever be higher.

I'd consider offering to trade away David Montgomery for the right player. And it would be a lot. Not because he's not a good player. I just can't imagine his value will ever be higher.
I'm trying to pair Mont and Stevenson for Ekler and a WR3 on his roster.

With Williams out Ekler is going to eat.

Leaving him on the bench to “wait n see” makes me wish I was in a guillotine league.

While I agree his value will likely never be higher he just looks like such a good hammer behind that line, and so lockstep with what Campbell likes to do on the ground. They wish they knew how to use Gibbs but they don’t. I’m going to ride or die w Monty from here on out.

While I agree his value may never go up from here which makes him a sell high from that perspective, if he keeps being featured like this all season long (20 opportunities per game) he is a keeper.

Detroits offensive line is good unlike the Bears and Montgommery is a qualty RB who can put up solid numbers with that in this offense.

If one sells him they need to get a good return as Montgomery could be a player to have all year long.

The other reason people questioned Montgomerys value was because of the threat of Gibbs taking some or a lot of his opportunities, and that does not seem to be happening.

What other RB in the league can a person count on to get 20 touches a game and is involved as a receiver as well?

Not many.

It is so funny to watch Twitter (Gibbs owners) constantly talk about how bad Monty is compared to Gibbs. I've watched every snap this year as I am heavily invested in St Brown/Laporta/Monty, and this offense just looks better when he is on the field. He runs hard as hell and stays in pace with the o-line. Always makes at least one guy miss or drags him a few extra yards. With 95% of his yards being after contact that is kind of the end of the story.

Jamaal Williams was fantasy gold in this offense, and Monty is much better in every part of the game. If you trade him I hope you get a ton for him - this guy could be top 10 ROS.

Now you know why Jamaal Williams had so many TDs last season. Monty will get all of those and more. Gibby has hardly been on the field inside the 5.

It is so funny to watch Twitter (Gibbs owners) constantly talk about how bad Monty is compared to Gibbs. I've watched every snap this year as I am heavily invested in St Brown/Laporta/Monty, and this offense just looks better when he is on the field. He runs hard as hell and stays in pace with the o-line. Always makes at least one guy miss or drags him a few extra yards. With 95% of his yards being after contact that is kind of the end of the story.

Jamaal Williams was fantasy gold in this offense, and Monty is much better in every part of the game. If you trade him I hope you get a ton for him - this guy could be top 10 ROS.
Im a Gibbs owner. I dont think Montgomery is bad at all. I always thought he was solid, hard nosed RB. Ive had him on my team several times. Hes way better than Jamaal Williams.

I drafted DM as a GL back, sprinkled in with some catches and maybe 12-15 carries total per game.
I never really feared Gibbs as the primary back and certainly not the GL back.

DM is a even bigger player in this offense than I would have thought. I'll be holding, thank you.

Detroit is gonna steam roll the division, and will be closing games in the 3rd and 4th with run, run, run.

Montgomery was made for this team. Just the perfect match. I'm assuming the higher ups had visions of bringing Gibbs in and watching him run thru Ds while Montgomery pounds them but they're now realizing it's easier said than done to use a non traditional guy like that. And they're winning and the way Campbell loves I'm sure so there's just no rush to change anything, if they even know how.

I sat Monty last night because I wanted to play Kamara on Sunday. That might cost me.

In watching the game last night, I think the Lions have some upside.

The Sun God is the man, they'll get Williams back in a couple of weeks, LaPorta has looked tough early, Monty is solid, Gibbs might be a dynamic back, their line seems strong, Goff isn't a total stiff....

Dynasty buy/sell might also depend on your own team. I agree that his value may be higher but for my team I might also be 4-0 after this week. It starts getting tough to sell at that point unless you are blown away with an offer.

SELL HIGH
This is what I would be doing. I oddly don't see anyone talking about the fact that he average 3.8 yards per carry last night, which is also his average on the season, and which is just 0.1 lower than his career average. Sure he's a fantasy phenom when he for some reason gets 34 touches ..... name any RB who wouldn't be.

SELL HIGH
This is what I would be doing. I oddly don't see anyone talking about the fact that he average 3.8 yards per carry last night, which is also his average on the season, and which is just 0.1 lower than his career average. Sure he's a fantasy phenom when he for some reason gets 34 touches ..... name any RB who wouldn't be.
He has low YPC because of the high number of rushing attempts. Many of them when the defense knows its coming but the Lions dont care and give it to him anyways.

Almost all of those yards were after contact.

YPC is not a good stat in small sample sizes and especially not in this context.

SELL HIGH
He has low YPC because of the high number of rushing attempts. Many of them when the defense knows its coming but the Lions dont care and give it to him anyways.

YPC is not a good stat in small sample sizes and especially not in this context.

Exactly. He is doing the dirty work. Early downs and when the D expects it.

Campbell clearly wants to wear down Ds. Think he relishes punishing the D late in the game with Montgomery.

I could not believe, with the game in hand, he was still rolling him out there. As a Montgomery owner I was screaming "get him out of there before he gets hurt again!"

This offense seems to be taking on his personality. And Montgomery is going to benefit.

SELL HIGH

Yesterday was a small sample size, sure, but it nearly matches his 3.9 over 984 career attempts.

I am a Montgomery owner and I’m not sure if I agree with this “sell high” notion. The Detroit offense is legit. They let Williams go and got Montgomery because they felt like he was the better player. He comes back from an injury and they give him a robust workload. The dude has had a TD in every game that he’s played in so far this year, and it clearly seems like he’ll get goal line work as long as he’s healthy. What exactly in this narrative would make me want to move him? The RB position is hard to trust this year—and I feel like starting Montgomery when he plays is as about a safe a bet as you can find in fantasy this season (with the exception of maybe 3 players—c-Mac, a healthy eckeler..etc). I don’t know if I trust guys like Derrick henry, Joe Mixon, and possibly even Saquon over him. For those people advocating a “sell high”—-what kind of players are you suggesting that Montgomery owners shoot for? Genuinely curious.

I am a Montgomery owner and I’m not sure if I agree with this “sell high” notion. The Detroit offense is legit. They let Williams go and got Montgomery because they felt like he was the better player. He comes back from an injury and they give him a robust workload. The dude has had a TD in every game that he’s played in so far this year, and it clearly seems like he’ll get goal line work as long as he’s healthy. What exactly in this narrative would make me want to move him? The RB position is hard to trust this year—and I feel like starting Montgomery when he plays is as about a safe a bet as you can find in fantasy this season (with the exception of maybe 3 players—c-Mac, a healthy eckeler..etc). I don’t know if I trust guys like Derrick henry, Joe Mixon, and possibly even Saquon over him. For those people advocating a “sell high”—-what kind of players are you suggesting that Montgomery owners shoot for? Genuinely curious.
exactly. simply saying "sell high" in a vacuum is worthless information.

SELL HIGH

Yesterday was a small sample size, sure, but it nearly matches his 3.9 over 984 career attempts.
Ok.

I looked it up and leaguewide ypc is up to 4.4 over the last 3 seasons. It was 4.5 last season. Which is remarkable when one considers that the league average was 4.2 for decades prior to this.

As teams run less as a whole and pass more this very consistent stat has risen.

I am guessing that part of the reason it has risen is also due to many more QBs running the ball in the league the last few seasons as well though and with higher averages than RBs.

If we parsed that out it may be that RB are still averaging about 4.2 ypc as a whole.

Montgomerys career ypc is a bit lower than that average, thats true. However he has been playing for the Bears for the majority of those carries and they have a below average offensive line.

One might think this might improve now that he is playing for the Lions who have a gòod offensive line and maybe it will. We are only 4 games in so too soon to try to compare that to his previous averages yet.

If the Lions keep using him in similar way as they did vs the Packers though, maybe it wont. We will just have to see.

Even if it does not 3.9 ypc is still good enough. It gains first downs. But yes that is slightly below average.

They let Williams go and got Montgomery because they felt like he was the better player
I believe Monty is the better player and they might feel that way as well, probably for sure do now, but multiple reports I read said they made a very strong effort to keep Williams and only turned to Monty when Williams opted for the Saints. They were saved.

They let Williams go and got Montgomery because they felt like he was the better player
I believe Monty is the better player and they might feel that way as well, probably for sure do now, but multiple reports I read said they made a very strong effort to keep Williams and only turned to Monty when Williams opted for the Saints. They were saved.
Close to what I heard - they made their best offer to Williams, he said "I'm the heart and soul of this team, I deserve a million or two more!". They turned and made roughly the same offer to Mongomery (maybe an extra year), who signed right up, and then Williams signed the Saints contract.

Close to what I heard - they made their best offer to Williams, he said "I'm the heart and soul of this team, I deserve a million or two more!". They turned and made roughly the same offer to Mongomery (maybe an extra year), who signed right up, and then Williams signed the Saints contract.
I love Jamaal but he's not as talented as Monty and while he has a great personality, so does Monty. The heart and soul of the this team is not one guy. Not even close.

D
What a draft steal this guy is turning out to be. Managed to snag him in 3 of 4 redrafts, and couldn't be happier. His YPC still stinks, but he is the trusted grinder and goal line back on a good offense. Sliding right into Jamal Williams role from last season, as I had hoped.
Drafted Monty and Mostert. Saving my season with Ek down

exactly. simply saying "sell high" in a vacuum is worthless information.
Yup. It’s odd that I posted the above minutes after several members and even the owner of the website advocated selling high—and not one answer yet. I personally do not see much of a dropoff between Montgomery and any running back outside of the top 2-3 guys. I have Rhomondre Stevenson and Montgomery—and I trust Montgomery way more. I‘m not sure I trust guys like Mixon, Saquon, or Henry more than him. I’m not sure Jerome Ford is even a step up from Monty. In any case—I think that Monty is basically a guy you have to start if he’s healthy

Users who are viewing this thread