What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (1 Viewer)

Not very excited as an owner. Will be entirely touchdown dependent and Gibbs' share is only going to increase. Also not a single target in the passing game. Boom/Bust flex.
I am the complete opposite. I was extremely happy with the usage. He is going to get the ball a lot. I think he is a solid floor option with the TD potential every week. Not flashy but will be around 70 yds every week. I see that as his floor based on last night's usage.
like I said, boom/bust flex. no td? bust.

Not very excited as an owner. Will be entirely touchdown dependent and Gibbs' share is only going to increase. Also not a single target in the passing game. Boom/Bust flex.
Seems too negative to me. Detroit should have a lot of scoring opportunities. If he's healthy, he should be productive.

I am the complete opposite. I was extremely happy with the usage. He is going to get the ball a lot. I think he is a solid floor option with the TD potential every week. Not flashy but will be around 70 yds every week. I see that as his floor based on last night's usage.
If he starts getting those receiving targets he’s going to have a much safer floor.

If he starts getting those receiving targets he’s going to have a much safer floor.
That was my only (small) complaint from last night, not one single target in the passing game. I took Monty as my RB2 in both redraft leagues, banking on the safe floor of ~75 yards and 0.8 TD's per game, with maybe ~2 extra points coming from receptions. Totally get that Gibbs is going to be the pass catcher, but one or two dump off passes seemed reasonable.

That was my only (small) complaint from last night, not one single target in the passing game. I took Monty as my RB2 in both redraft leagues, banking on the safe floor of ~75 yards and 0.8 TD's per game, with maybe ~2 extra points coming from receptions. Totally get that Gibbs is going to be the pass catcher, but one or two dump off passes seemed reasonable.
Montgomery did run 20 routes so that a positive.

Plus Monty was in for 20 routes to Gibbs 9.

So it's very possible that Monty is a better pass protector, and Dan Campbell doesn't give a F about y'all's FF teams. lol

Needs them to even be considered an RB2. No targets = boom/bust flex play.

Needs them to even be considered an RB2. No targets = boom/bust flex play.
No argument there.

That said, he looked electric, and I could see more boom than bust. He broke so many tackles, and his burst was elite. The kid is the real deal, but opportunities will determine production. Without the receiving the volume simply won't be there for a high weekly floor. The receptions are everything. If he struggles in pass pro, it's gonna be a long learning curve for Gibbs shareholders.

Plus Monty was in for 20 routes to Gibbs 9.

So it's very possible that Monty is a better pass protector, and Dan Campbell doesn't give a F about y'all's FF teams. lol
Inside running was a tough from what I saw. Seemed on the few plays that Gibbs tried to run it inside he also did not have much room. Keep in mind also that Campbell may not trust Gibbs at crital points of the game to run inside. He is a rookie. Imho

I’ll take a thigh bruise for sure

Ice on knee and a cart had me worried…

Been a great value so far!

David Montgomery told reporters after Sunday’s Week 2 loss to the Seahawks that he will likely need “a couple weeks” to heal from a quad injury.

Montgomery was noticeably limping after Sunday’s loss to the Seahawks, and will likely miss some time with this injury, but we’ll get a better sense of that in the near future. Montgomery was carted off the field in the fourth quarter, but the injury doesn’t appear to be as severe as it initially looked. If he’s unable to go in Week 3 against the Falcons, Jahmyr Gibbs would figure to see a heavier workload. Although, veteran running back Craig Reynolds was far more involved than we expected after Montgomery left the game.

Craig Reynolds is capable …

Deeper leagues go get em.

…. Don’t expect much but he’s decent 🙂

I agree. He runs hard and is a trusted member of the roster and that line is good. I’m gonna go for him in both my dynasty leagues ( one where I have Monty and Reynolds was my last cut before week 1 and another where I’m screwed at RB - Dobbins IR and Akers ), and I’ll also think about grabbing him for a week in my re-draft league where I have Kamara ( suspended ), Monty (injured ), Jamaal Williams and Roschon

Lions HC Dan Campbell said David Montgomery (quad) is “in the boat of day-to-day” after leaving Sunday’s Week 2 matchup against the Seahawks.

Montgomery said after Sunday’s game that his injury would need “a couple weeks” to heal, but it doesn’t sound like Montgomery was hinting at missing Week 3 against the Falcons. We’ll have more clarity on Montgomery’s status when the Lions start practicing later in the week, but Campbell sounded somewhat optimistic about his No. 1 running back. If Montgomery can’t go, Jahmyr Gibbs and Craig Reynolds figure to split the touches, but we’ll see how Montgomery fares throughout the week.

Any Montgomery owners bothering with C. Reynolds?

Wouldn't mind having him, but also wouldn't mind sticking with what's on my roster.

Hard to get a read on how serious this quad injury is. If it was 3 weeks at minimum I'd say it's a good idea to go after Reynolds in waivers tonight.

Wouldn't mind having him, but also wouldn't mind sticking with what's on my roster.

Hard to get a read on how serious this quad injury is. If it was 3 weeks at minimum I'd say it's a good idea to go after Reynolds in waivers tonight.
Hard to start him if you do pick him up. Z Knight is intriguing, but probably a wasted ww pickup.

Hard to start him if you do pick him up. Z Knight is intriguing, but probably a wasted ww pickup.
Very true.

They'll probably mix in Knight a little, Gibbs gets a bit more, and Reynolds maybe produces 50% of what Monty did.

WOuld think too that maybe they run Gibbs more on the goaline vs. hand to Reynolds.

Very true.

They'll probably mix in Knight a little, Gibbs gets a bit more, and Reynolds maybe produces 50% of what Monty did.

WOuld think too that maybe they run Gibbs more on the goaline vs. hand to Reynolds.
I had my doubts about Gibbs usage before the season and I still do, but yes, he could get more, especially in the passing game. Gibbs is definitely start-able for that reason alone. I just don't think they want to pound him.

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said David Montgomery (thigh) is “improving” and has not been declared out for Week 3.

It’s quite the development for Montgomery, who seemed earlier this week to be sidelined for at least a week, possibly two, after suffering a thigh contusion Sunday against the Seahawks. If Montgomery were to suit up this week against Atlanta, he might have a reduced role as he recovers from the injury. Jahmyr Gibbs should be locked into lineups either way. Craig Reynolds would mix in on early downs if Montgomery is out.

Lions RB David Montgomery (thigh) is trending in the right direction and is looking likely to play on Thursday against the Giants.
On Thursday, Lions head coach Dan Campbell said that Montgomery, who sat out Week Three with a thigh injury, is moving toward getting back in the lineup this week. “Two that are trending the most positive right now would be Decker and D-Mo. Those are the two I’m starting to feel pretty good about,” Campbell said. The Lions will have another walkthrough on Wednesday, but Campbell feeling good about Montgomery right now is a strong sign for his ability to play. If he is able to see the field, Jahmyr Gibbs would likely go back to something closer to his Week 2 usage, while Craig Reynolds would maybe be relegated to a small handful of carries, depending on how Montgomery feels.

Lions RB David Montgomery (thigh) is trending in the right direction and is looking likely to play on Thursday against the Giants.
On Thursday, Lions head coach Dan Campbell said that Montgomery, who sat out Week Three with a thigh injury, is moving toward getting back in the lineup this week. “Two that are trending the most positive right now would be Decker and D-Mo. Those are the two I’m starting to feel pretty good about,” Campbell said. The Lions will have another walkthrough on Wednesday, but Campbell feeling good about Montgomery right now is a strong sign for his ability to play. If he is able to see the field, Jahmyr Gibbs would likely go back to something closer to his Week 2 usage, while Craig Reynolds would maybe be relegated to a small handful of carries, depending on how Montgomery feels.

s/b Tuesday (today)

For both Decker and Monty, it's up to the medical staff. Both of them basically nsaid "If it's my decision, I'm playing. Not missing a divisional rival game." That said, it's long season and between the two of them I think Montgomery has the best chance of playing without the risk of further injury. With the LT, it's a high ankle sprain, he's been in a walking boot for several weeks, and there is def a risk to rushing him back.

Take 2: #Lions RB David Montgomery will play tonight and be the lead back vs. the #Packers, though there’s plenty in the game plan for rookie Jahmyr Gibbs, too. Meanwhile, RB Aaron Jones and WR Christian Watson return for the banged-up #Packers.
@gmfb

@nflnetwork

Finding this hard to believe as a Montgomery owner. Not sure I can pull the trigger.

Have T. Dell starting in the flex instead.

Heard on Tuesday that Monty was trending to play and wants to play. I mean it is only a thigh bruise.

I am absolutely shocked by his usage. Shocked.

32 carries? Are you kidding me?

Gibbs a complete afterthought.

Not even that, they are running Montgomery late in the game when a scrub like Reynolds should be in there.

Shocked. But as a Montgomery owner, very happy.
I left him on my bench. Not happy about it. Here to suffer will all of the other unfortunates. Thought he would be limited. 32 carries is crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread