What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (2 Viewers)

Unwrittenlaw said:
Most overrated prospect on this board.

MJD II? Not even close.

MJD was the starter on his team from freshman yr and on.  Clyde Edwards Helaire? It took him until the Jr. yr to start for his team and he couldn't even beat out Nick Brossette his sophomore yr. Their #'s? Almost identical. How much was Edwards-Helaire's improvement during his Jr yr was dependent on Burrow? Did they drop back and let him run the ball because of Burrow's passing skills? 

Can someone name a RB drafted in the 1st 3 rds in the NFL draft that took him until the JR yr to start for his team and ended up being productive in the NFL? I can't think of one.
Talent level and depth at LSU is a little better than at UCLA

“The most impressive thing about Edwards-Helaire’s resume is how great he was against good opponents. You will often see with college running backs that they are able to pad their numbers against Southwestern Kansas A&M and then have more modest games against Top 25 opposition. That was not true for CEH. He recorded 100 yard+ rushing games against Clemson, Auburn, Florida, George and even Alabama! Furthermore, he also had five or more receptions against Bama, Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, and Clemson. That highlights a running back who fits multiple game plans/schemes and that projects to be very useful at an NFL level.“

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwrittenlaw said:
Most overrated prospect on this board.

MJD II? Not even close.

MJD was the starter on his team from freshman yr and on.  Clyde Edwards Helaire? It took him until the Jr. yr to start for his team and he couldn't even beat out Nick Brossette his sophomore yr. Their #'s? Almost identical. How much was Edwards-Helaire's improvement during his Jr yr was dependent on Burrow? Did they drop back and let him run the ball because of Burrow's passing skills? 

Can someone name a RB drafted in the 1st 3 rds in the NFL draft that took him until the JR yr to start for his team and ended up being productive in the NFL? I can't think of one.
Damn! Wait!?!? You’re right! What was I thinking??????

I meant Ray Rice!

Tex

“The most impressive thing about Edwards-Helaire’s resume is how great he was against good opponents. You will often see with college running backs that they are able to pad their numbers against Southwestern Kansas A&M and then have more modest games against Top 25 opposition. That was not true for CEH. He recorded 100 yard+ rushing games against Clemson, Auburn, Florida, George and even Alabama! Furthermore, he also had five or more receptions against Bama, Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, and Clemson. That highlights a running back who fits multiple game plans/schemes and that projects to be very useful at an NFL level.“

This is a good point and something I pay attention to with players every year.

It did lead me astray once. Sammie Coates last year he had just 3 games over 100 but was against Bama, LSU and Ole Miss who at the time had some good talent in the secondary. But generally I think it's the best way to examine players, both statistically and which game tapes you hunt down to watch.

He's an athletic version of big school Devin Singletary.  Likely to be drafted ahead of where Singletary was (pick #74).  The tape is very similar between them, but I'm willing to bet CEH is a better athlete.  Singletary was off my draft board (only after failing the combine), I don't think he'll last as a workhorse type, I don't think CEH will either (but he has a better chance), but boy are they fun to watch.  

He's an athletic version of big school Devin Singletary.  Likely to be drafted ahead of where Singletary was (pick #74).  The tape is very similar between them, but I'm willing to bet CEH is a better athlete.  Singletary was off my draft board (only after failing the combine), I don't think he'll last as a workhorse type, I don't think CEH will either (but he has a better chance), but boy are they fun to watch.  
He can catch better than Devin I think

He can catch better than Devin I think
I think you're right.  The biggest knock I had against Devin was after athletic testing.  I liked him overall as a RB though, I like CEH as an overall RB, but I'm waiting for testing to give me a final verdict.  Currently I have CEH as RB6, right behind Moss but a tier below.  If he tests well, and Moss fails, then it's a pretty easy decision, if they both test well then it's a much tougher debate for me.  I don't think either one moves into top4 consideration though, no matter how good they test unless 1 of the top4 completely bomb.  

I think you're right.  The biggest knock I had against Devin was after athletic testing.  I liked him overall as a RB though, I like CEH as an overall RB, but I'm waiting for testing to give me a final verdict.  Currently I have CEH as RB6, right behind Moss but a tier below.  If he tests well, and Moss fails, then it's a pretty easy decision, if they both test well then it's a much tougher debate for me.  I don't think either one moves into top4 consideration though, no matter how good they test unless 1 of the top4 completely bomb.  
I like Hellaire way more then most and I expect that divide to grow till at least the real NFL draft because if people don't like him now I don't think his combine is going to make people like him more. In other words I don't expect him to test well. If he tests as poorly as Singletary, who was basically poor in everything, I'll drop him myself but I'm expecting him to be more in the Josh Jacobs mediocre testing category then miserable.

FWIW, and as well know receiving is a huge part the RB equation today but listened to a podcast yesterday and these are average measurements from last years top 10 rushers. (I don't know if they used pro days if a player was not able to participate in the combine)

5' 11 3/4" / 223 pounds

4.52 forty (high of 4.45, low of 4.62)

34" vertical

10' 2" broad jump

7.13 short shuttle

Failed to give what 3 cone which is probably my favorite RB workout number

I expect Hellaire to be smaller and slower then these top RB averages. Not sure how he'll measure in short area quickness tests but I think he might do alright.

I like Hellaire way more then most and I expect that divide to grow till at least the real NFL draft because if people don't like him now I don't think his combine is going to make people like him more. In other words I don't expect him to test well. If he tests as poorly as Singletary, who was basically poor in everything, I'll drop him myself but I'm expecting him to be more in the Josh Jacobs mediocre testing category then miserable.

FWIW, and as well know receiving is a huge part the RB equation today but listened to a podcast yesterday and these are average measurements from last years top 10 rushers. (I don't know if they used pro days if a player was not able to participate in the combine)

5' 11 3/4" / 223 pounds

4.52 forty (high of 4.45, low of 4.62)

34" vertical

10' 2" broad jump

7.13 short shuttle

Failed to give what 3 cone which is probably my favorite RB workout number

I expect Hellaire to be smaller and slower then these top RB averages. Not sure how he'll measure in short area quickness tests but I think he might do alright.
Huge fan, I wouldn't be shocked if he proves to be the most productive PPR back in this year's class.

Obviously opportunity will have something to do with it, but his option routes (a la McCaffrey) were beautiful.  I don't know about his quickness numbers, but future NFL linebackers were helpless.

LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire has met with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Las Vegas Raiders, Indianapolis Colts and Buffalo Bills at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Edwards-Helaire (5'7/207) a hot commodity in Indianapolis as he looks to secure a Day 2 selection for April's draft. While we don't necessarily expect a blazing fast straight-line run from the LSU standout in Friday's testing, he should show out well in terms of more agility-oriented tests such as the shuttle. He is also a sharp pass-catcher and could turn in a smooth showing in the gauntlet phase of things.

SOURCE: Josh Norris on Twitter

Feb 26, 2020, 3:01 PM ET

LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire was requested by at least one team to work out as a WR during the NFL Combine.

Edwards-Helaire being one of the dozen or so position-switch requests is a curveball. At 5-foot-7, 207-pounds, Edwards-Helaire is likely too short and thick to survive as a wide receiver. Perhaps he could work at slot, but there is no way he is better there than at running back. It's also entirely possible the team(s) requesting him at WR do not intend to move him there, they just want to see if he could play there on occasion. Lastly, Edwards-Helaire does not have to accept this request.

SOURCE: NFL Draft

Feb 26, 2020, 5:39 PM ET

LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire posted 15 bench press reps at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Edwards-Helaire (5'7/207) tied for the third-lowest bench reps total among the running backs who tested. It's understandable that he wouldn't be on the high-side of the bench numbers, but draft evaluators were hoping to see a little more from CEH in the strength department. He was interestingly asked by at least one team to work out as a WR but most teams still project him as a versatile running back. He has drawn a lot of interest at the NFL Combine, already meeting with the Jaguars, Colts and Bills with more to come.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 28, 2020, 2:41 PM ET

Rotoworld:

LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire ran the 40-yard dash in 4.60 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Edwards-Helaire (5'7/207) was forgettable in Friday's straight-line sprint, but we aren't too concerned with the mark, there. CEH's best attributes come in his versatility and his ability to make people miss in the open field, once he starts stringing together moves. Oh, and he posted a sick vertical jump of 39.5 inches. The Jags, Colts and Bills were among the teams that checked in with Edwards-Helaire during the combine week. Edwards-Helaire could hear his name called as early as Round 2 come April's draft.

SOURCE: NFL on Twitter

Feb 28, 2020, 10:05 PM ET

Maybe it's the jersey number... but this guy looks like Emmitt Smith to me, only shiftier, maybe better receiver.  Same size, same "speed."  Probably not as good of an inside runner.  But I love him.
I was thinking Dalvin cook. But not quite as fast. 

Maybe it's the jersey number... but this guy looks like Emmitt Smith to me, only shiftier, maybe better receiver.  Same size, same "speed."  Probably not as good of an inside runner.  But I love him.
Same on jersey but was recency bias was giving me Mark Ingram vibe.

All I can say is to anyone who doubts him or wants to get excited spend about 4:30 minutes of your life watching his game highlights vs Alabama. Massive game, difficult opponent, inside runs, outside run, tons of catches, scoring as runner and receiver, making huge plays with game on the line-my favorite being the back handed one hand stab followed by juke and power move  to get a first down a third and 10 in the 4th quarter with Alabama gaining momentum.

He's not big, he's not fast, he's not even as quick to the edge as someone like Dalvin but not sure how you can't watch him in that game and not love him.

All I can say is to anyone who doubts him or wants to get excited spend about 4:30 minutes of your life watching his game highlights vs Alabama. Massive game, difficult opponent, inside runs, outside run, tons of catches, scoring as runner and receiver, making huge plays with game on the line-my favorite being the back handed one hand stab followed by juke and power move  to get a first down a third and 10 in the 4th quarter with Alabama gaining momentum.

He's not big, he's not fast, he's not even as quick to the edge as someone like Dalvin but not sure how you can't watch him in that game and not love him.
This.  That play (the "want to" part of it, not the stellar hands) reminds me of Emmitt.  Not big, not fast... just good.

Yep

As good as burrow is, without CEH they don't win that game. 

I'm excited to see what he does in the NFL, it will be interesting to see if he slides due to speed.  It looks like he's being mocked as a late 2, early 3rd round pick.  While that might be right, whoever takes him is getting a gem. 

Walter football (and probably others) has him going to the Chiefs with pick 63.  That could put them in the top 3 picks in FF. 

Yep

As good as burrow is, without CEH they don't win that game. 

I'm excited to see what he does in the NFL, it will be interesting to see if he slides due to speed.  It looks like he's being mocked as a late 2, early 3rd round pick.  While that might be right, whoever takes him is getting a gem. 

Walter football (and probably others) has him going to the Chiefs with pick 63.  That could put them in the top 3 picks in FF. 
If he gets drafted by the Chiefs he’d likely go 1.01 in a lot of drafts.

If he gets drafted by the Chiefs he’d likely go 1.01 in a lot of drafts.
I wouldn't do it just because he went to the Chiefs.  Classic example of overthinking it and putting too much emphasis on situation.  While I do believe situation matters, it shouldn't be the sole reason and taking him 1.01 because he is drafted by the Chiefs would be sole reason.

It will. But I wouldn't. I like the kid, he has a good future imo. But there are others I like more.
I have the 1.01 in one league - it would be pretty unlikely that I would take him there even if he went to KC outside of Swift and Taylor both ending up somewhere like Dallas or Minnesota but I wouldn't necessarily fault anyone who thought otherwise.

I don't see CEH as a situational back at all and it would be far from shocking if he ended up being the best back in the class. I don't see much not to like in his game. The biggest knock I've heard is that he is short, and for the life of me I can't see how that would matter unless people are worried about him getting posted up on defense.

Dr. Octopus said:
I have the 1.01 in one league - it would be pretty unlikely that I would take him there even if he went to KC outside of Swift and Taylor both ending up somewhere like Dallas or Minnesota but I wouldn't necessarily fault anyone who thought otherwise.

I don't see CEH as a situational back at all and it would be far from shocking if he ended up being the best back in the class. I don't see much not to like in his game. The biggest knock I've heard is that he is short, and for the life of me I can't see how that would matter unless people are worried about him getting posted up on defense.
Top speed is a little less than the elites, but otherwise I do agree. He's actually a target of mine, regardless of where he lands, but I have no early picks anyway. 

It might just be that I grew up watching Barry Sanders and I enjoyed watching Darren Sproles while he was in college but I've never paid much attention to height. BMI more so, especially in RBs, I don't want my starter breaking in half ;)

CEH is very similar to Darrell Henderson or Devin Singletary from last year, Singletary at least looked good. 

Looking at their profiles, Singletary might be the best comp. Except CEH played, and did very well, against the best competition. 

JohnnyU said:
I wouldn't do it just because he went to the Chiefs.  Classic example of overthinking it and putting too much emphasis on situation.  While I do believe situation matters, it shouldn't be the sole reason and taking him 1.01 because he is drafted by the Chiefs would be sole reason.
Except if the Chiefs took him and I took him at 1.1 it would not be just because the situation for me.

I only have one 1.1 as of now, would basically take combo of Swift landing in a really crummy spot  spot and one of my other top RB's landing in a great spot for him to not be my 1.1.  This is also my only league of my 8 dynasty leagues were I need a RB right now. So I discuss 1.1 around here but really my focus is more on leagues were I got a cluster of picks in the 3-4  range, all acquired via trade, and those leagues I don't need a RB now or as of now.

For those picks in the 3-4 range I'd love to see something like Atlanta use one of their second round picks on CEH and I'd be ecstatic to scoop him up, provided ATL  does not  sign someone like Melvin Gordon in FA. I also have a lot of picks in the 6-8 range and would would also be kind of stoked to see something like Steelers grab him in round two.  Presence of Conner on Steelers combined with other top RB's in draft, Lamb and Jeudy might squeeze him back to me in that 6-8 range. That's probably my perfect type CEH scenario, a place were he'd have to share load or be 1B for a year so he slides back and since most of the 2017 RB draft class with exception of CMC's contracts all presently due to run out after 2020 a lot of those situations exist.

Can one of you people please explain to me why the Chiefs might draft a RB in the first couple rounds?  Thanks in advance.
I think it’s possible CEH drops to Round 3. And I said “if”, while responding to someone saying Walter Football has him mocked there in Round 3.

Can one of you people please explain to me why the Chiefs might draft a RB in the first couple rounds?  Thanks in advance.
Damien is a ufa next year, the Chiefs probably won't pay a lot for a running back, McCoy is on his last legs, and maybe Darwin didn't impress? 

They almost certainly won't take one in the first, but in the 3rd or late 2nd it's a possibility. 

Users who are viewing this thread