What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Carson, SEA - 10.7.21 - Neck Issue (1 Viewer)

https://sportsradiokjr.iheart.com/content/2017-11-27-carroll-cliff-avril-kam-chancellor-wont-return-this-season/

Chris Carson could return this season:

Running back Chris Carson has a chance to return to the roster before the end of the season, according to head coach Pete Carroll.

Carson is progressing well after surgery in October to repair a serious high-ankle sprain and small fracture in the upper part of his lower leg.

"He has made tremendous progress," Carroll said. "We don't want to rush him on anything or expectations wise for you guys either, but he has had a great recovery. So we'll see what happens. He's running, changing directions, starting to do some more aggressive stuff this week."

Carson was injured when Indianapolis linebacker Jon Bostic landed on the back of his leg making a tackle. Carson subsequently got bent backward over Bostic with his leg pinned beneath the Colts defender. His healing has been encouraging and there's enough time remaining in the season for Carson to have a chance to return.

"Each staging of it depends on how he responds to it," Carroll said. "This week will be really important and we'll have a lot of information more going forward. There's a chance, so we'll hold out hope for him. I know he's dying to play and he's done everything you can possibly do. He just handled the rehab to this point well beyond expectations so we'll see what that means."

A seventh-round pick, Carson won Seattle's starting running back duties for the first quarter of the season before being injured against the Colts. He remains Seattle's most productive running back this season despite appearing in only four games. He rushed for 208 yards on 49 carries this season. Russell Wilson leads the team in rushing overall with 401 yards on 65 carries.

Carson has spent eight weeks on injured reserve and is eligible to return at any time if he's able. Seattle has not used either of their return designations for players on injured reserve. Carson, running back C.J. Prosise, fullback Tre Madden and tackle Rees Odhiambo are the only likely candidates to return. 

Prosise, Madden and Odhiambo all are unavailable to return until January. All other players on injured reserve, i.e. Richard Sherman (Achilles), Dewey McDonald (ACL), Avril, etc., have injuries too significant to return before the end of the season.

Bummer...

Carson suffers setback(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Seattle Seahawks RB Chris Carson (ankle, leg) has suffered a setback in his recovery, according to head coach Pete Carroll.

Analysis: Given that Carson is recovering from a severe high-ankle sprain and required surgery to address ligament damage below his knee in early October, it's remarkable that a late-season return was in play in the first place. The running back was expected to resume practicing in the near future, but after Carroll said the rookie had a "bit of ankle turn," Carson will be shut down for good, per Michael-Shawn Dugar of SeattlePI.com. Carson, a seventh-round pick out of Oklahoma State who had taken over as Seattle's lead back prior to suffering the injuries in Week 4, could get an opportunity to reclaim that role in 2018 if he proves healthy in training camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, “set back” in Carroll terms means he may be close to death.
From “unbelievably ahead of schedule” to don’t know when he’s going to get on the practice field in 4 days.

I think we failed to realize the key word on Monday was unbelievably.

I've tried packaging him in some deals as a throw in, but nobody seems to be interested.  I'm thinking my only hope is they don't draft a RB and reports of him being healthy are overblown per usual in mid July-August.  

He was pretty clearly the best running back on the roster in 2017 (Which isn't necessarily saying much.  It was a bad group, with a bad O-line).  I could envision him winning the job next year unless they take a high pick RB.  They should probably get some linemen first.

Alright Yeti, I will be honest, things are looking pretty bleak right now. The team traded up into the first to take a running back. But that’s okay. You were built to climb snowy mountains. You live in the world of obscurity. Get you health right and you’ll climb that depth chart again. It’s not over until it’s over.

Does Carson have any fantasy value? There's only 2 instances where I can see him being worth rostering.

1. Penny gets hurt.

2. Penny is shockingly bad and they go back to Carson next year after admitting it was a mistake. I don't think this is likely, but he couldn't beat out Donnel Pumphrey last year, all 165 lbs of him. It's possible Penny flames out quickly, but with 1st round pedigree he's going to get an extremely long leash.

Does Carson have any fantasy value? There's only 2 instances where I can see him being worth rostering.

1. Penny gets hurt.

2. Penny is shockingly bad and they go back to Carson next year after admitting it was a mistake. I don't think this is likely, but he couldn't beat out Donnel Pumphrey last year, all 165 lbs of him. It's possible Penny flames out quickly, but with 1st round pedigree he's going to get an extremely long leash.
Carson broken his leg. He had a few nice runs and a receiving TD in the 4 games he played in. Then got hurt.

Carson might be worth something to start the year depending on how fast Penny picks up pass pro and/or how much Seattle cares about it. But realistically, I think Carson is a good back but Penny has the potential to be a great back. Should be Penny’s job.

I held on to Carson all year last year in my auction keeper.  I thought he might come back for the stretch and be an asset this year.  They could not have made it worse for his value.  In my mind Seattle needed to upgrade their line first before finding a star tailback.  Maybe that's the Carson owner in me speaking!

I held on to Carson all year last year in my auction keeper.  I thought he might come back for the stretch and be an asset this year.  They could not have made it worse for his value.  In my mind Seattle needed to upgrade their line first before finding a star tailback.  Maybe that's the Carson owner in me speaking!
I felt that way too.  Crazy that a team that just lost a bunch of key players, already had glaring holes on the OL, and had very little draft capital would feel the need to address RB of all positions.  An RB that can't block at that.  Poor Russ.

worrierking said:
Was also very surprised at the pick. Also a Carson owner. Too bad he never got the chance. As bummed as I am think how he feels.

Slider said:
He's better than Penny. He won't get a chance to prove it but he'll get a job somewhere. 
If you believe this to be true, he’s actually in a pretty good place. Seattle seems to be one of the places that goes with the best player rather than the highest pick or paid player. No doubt that they will try to get Penny on the field but if Carson is the better back he’ll get touches. Enough to be a FF stud? Who knows. 

Slider said:
He's better than Penny. He won't get a chance to prove it but he'll get a job somewhere. 
Based upon the information we have I have no idea how anyone could come to the conclusion that Carson >>Penny.

Carson is smaller, slower, and never performed near to Penny's level in college.

In what way has Carson shown to be better than Penny?

Based upon the information we have I have no idea how anyone could come to the conclusion that Carson >>Penny.

Carson is smaller, slower, and never performed near to Penny's level in college.

Their size is pretty even, accord to their NFL.com combine profile. Carson is listed at 6’0 218 and Penny is 5’11 220. In one of the links above it does say that Carson add 10 pounds with his off-season trainer. 

He succeeded in the pros? Looked much better as a pro than he did in college? 

He succeeded in the pros? Looked much better as a pro than he did in college? 
49 rushes for 208 yards (4.2) and 7 catches for 59 yards (8.4).

I guess that is better than he performed in college. But, again based upon the information we have I have no idea how anyone can draw the conclusion that Carson>>Penny.

Carson may turn into a better pro than Penny but, right now everything supports the notion that the All-American first round draft pick who beasted on over 500 touches being the better player by a wide margin.

I guess that is better than he performed in college. But, again based upon the information we have I have no idea how anyone can draw the conclusion that Carson>>Penny.

Carson may turn into a better pro than Penny but, right now everything supports the notion that the All-American first round draft pick who beasted on over 500 touches being the better player by a wide margin.
Carson was a nobody who impressed all through camp and stuck on the 53. That's amazing. Then he became the clear starter and performed well behind an average at best O-line. Until Penny does anything I think Carson is better. 

Carson was a nobody who impressed all through camp and stuck on the 53. That's amazing. Then he became the clear starter and performed well behind an average at best O-line. Until Penny does anything I think Carson is better. 
He lasted four games (something that seems to be trending with him) did nothing special on the field and beat out Eddie Lacy, Thomas Rawls and a bunch of scrubs.

He was just good enough for the Seahawks to invest a first round draft pick on his replacement.

He may actually be a better NFL back than Penny but nothing that has happened so far points to that conclusion.

He lasted four games (something that seems to be trending with him) did nothing special on the field and beat out Eddie Lacy, Thomas Rawls and a bunch of scrubs.

He was just good enough for the Seahawks to invest a first round draft pick on his replacement.

He may actually be a better NFL back than Penny but nothing that has happened so far points to that conclusion.
Well you clearly value RB's drafted by college pedigree. I don't.

Edit: Did you draft Penny or something? To say a nobody (scrub to start with) beat out Lacy and Rawls really minimizes what he did. And to be so sure that Penny is doing great seems like you are Seattle's GM or you drafted Penny.

Well you clearly value RB's drafted by college pedigree. I don't.
The easy answer is "That's great, I'm sure you'll get a lot of value from Wayne Gallman"

But I don't like the easy answer. The honest answer is to once again say that Chris Carson may turn out to be a better NFL RB than Penny. 

However when he has never demonstrated any amount of sustained success (and not much incidental success either) at either the college or pro level and his only claim to fame is beating out Eddie Lacy, Thomas Rawls and a bunch of scrubs it is difficult to objectively state that he is superior to most NFL starting RBs or even a lowly first round draft pick with an amazing pedigree.

Edit: Did you draft Penny or something? To say a nobody (scrub to start with) beat out Lacy and Rawls really minimizes what he did. And to be so sure that Penny is doing great seems like you are Seattle's GM or you drafted Penny.
I hate when people do this. Have I asked you if you own Carson in any capacity? No because it doesn't matter if your goal is to have an honest discussion about a player.

The answer is that I have played in only one league for the past 20 years It's a redraft and we hold our draft every year on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

Last season I was hoping to grab Carson late as it became increasingly clear that Lacy lacked the heart to maximize his talent and Rawls was just plain finished. But someone beat me to the punch.

Well with the failure rate of draft picks I just find it odd someone would not only give Penny a superior grade but also minimize Rawls (who was all but the proclaimed starter). I mean Penny only has potential. Carson was a 7th round pick and won the job. Convincingly. Do you think any 7th round picks become starters this year? Do you think every 1st round RB will? 

While I definitely agree with you that Penny is likely going to be the starter and better pro (and the Seahawks spending a first round pick strongly argues that they believe so as well), it's silly to so completely dismiss Carson's actual performance in NFL games.

Not only is 4.2 YPC far better than anything else the Seahawks were able to get from anyone else behind such an awful OL, but Carson passed the eye test (both in the preseason and in the regular season). PFF gave him a grade of 82.5 for his first 4 games, higher, at the time, than any rookie RB other than Hunt. Carson was 7th among all RBs with an elusive rating of 60.6.

Until Penny shows he can make NFL tacklers miss, not everything points to him being better than Carson.

Again, I'm not trying to argue that Carson will start or have a better career, but Carson's play shouldn't be totally ignored, either. The early buzz on Carson from the OTAs is that he's both bigger and faster. This is a situation at least worth monitoring.

While I definitely agree with you that Penny is likely going to be the starter and better pro (and the Seahawks spending a first round pick strongly argues that they believe so as well), it's silly to so completely dismiss Carson's actual performance in NFL games.

Not only is 4.2 YPC far better than anything else the Seahawks were able to get from anyone else behind such an awful OL, but Carson passed the eye test (both in the preseason and in the regular season). PFF gave him a grade of 82.5 for his first 4 games, higher, at the time, than any rookie RB other than Hunt. Carson was 7th among all RBs with an elusive rating of 60.6.

Until Penny shows he can make NFL tacklers miss, not everything points to him being better than Carson.

Again, I'm not trying to argue that Carson will start or have a better career, but Carson's play shouldn't be totally ignored, either. The early buzz on Carson from the OTAs is that he's both bigger and faster. This is a situation at least worth monitoring.
I am not completely dismissing Carson.

But I also am not a big fan of whatever the Eye Test is, too subjective. Means different things to different people.

The elusive rating thing is intriguing though; how big a spread from #1 to #7 to #12 & #20?

And let me be very clear: I have stated in virtually (not literally) every post that I fully acknowledge Carson may be a better pro.

I have never stated that Penny is better.
Ok well then I read you wrong I guess. Seems we almost agree. ?

I'll agree Penny has a better shot because they drafted him so early. I'll also stick with my opinion that Carson is a better player.

I'll agree Penny has a better shot because they drafted him so early. I'll also stick with my opinion that Carson is a better player.
That's completely good. But do you understand the fundamental problem I have with your position?

You are giving Carson the benefit of the doubt based upon ~50 NFL touches and beating out a mediocre, at best, group of players, and calling him the better player when Penny has had zero touches in the NFL.

By your reasoning Carson is also better than Saquon Barkley. I will never argue with anyone who says, based upon the info we have, Barkley>>>Penny would you honestly say Carson>>Barkley if Barkley was drafted by Seattle? Would/should anyone agree with that position?

At this point I feel the need to ask if you have any connection with Carson. I have been open and honest about my status with every player in the NFL (one league, redraft, Labor Day, 20+ years). I am also happy to take this to PM to verify that info. Where are you on this?

Didn't Carson have a set back in his recovery last year that lead to him getting shutdown for the year? I feel that as much as Seahawks brass might like Carson, they are unwilling to go through a situation similar to Rawls where they waste time waiting for a guy to stay healthy.

That's completely good. But do you understand the fundamental problem I have with your position?

You are giving Carson the benefit of the doubt based upon ~50 NFL touches and beating out a mediocre, at best, group of players, and calling him the better player when Penny has had zero touches in the NFL.

By your reasoning Carson is also better than Saquon Barkley. I will never argue with anyone who says, based upon the info we have, Barkley>>>Penny would you honestly say Carson>>Barkley if Barkley was drafted by Seattle? 
Not at all. I like Carson better because he was a 7th round pick and beat out everyone then looked great in his little bit of work. Penny was a 2nd or 3rd rd pick that Seattle took surprisingly in the first. Barkley is clearly a generational talent and was a top player in the draft.

Penny may very well be great. I'm just going on what I've seen so far. That's that one can play in this league and one hasn't proven anything.

I'm in six leagues and Carson is my 5th RB in one league who won't make the cuts. None of my rookie drafts or redrafts have happened yet so I couldn't possibly own Penny. I just remember the absolute Rawls love last year at this time and we see how that went. Now he's just a scrub who anyone could beat out. 

To say a nobody (scrub to start with) beat out Lacy and Rawls really minimizes what he did.
Lacy ate his way out of the job and Rawls was also a scrub/nobody who was injured so I'm not sure how impressive it was. It's not even like Carson tore up the league - he did pretty good in a very limited sample size, that's all.

I don't own Penny anywhere, and frankly I will not say Penny is surely the better NFL back, but like @Chaka is saying, it seems like a real stretch to declare Carson as clearly the better back at this point. Seattle spending a first round pick on Penny when they have plenty of needs should say something, whether you want to admit that or not.

With that said Pete Carroll's M.O. has always been "the best guy plays" so if you're right about the talent levels, Carson will get every opportunity to prove it.

Let’s not just coyly suggest that Penny was “supposed to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder”... PFF had an entire article suggesting Penny was a first round talent.

Wasn't he the one the Patriots were said to have made an offer about after the Seahawks snagged him? 

Chaka said:
Or we could say "First round pick Rashaad Penny".
Or "San Diego State 1st round pick Rashaad Penny" 

You see Marshall Faulk while I see Ronnie Hillman.  To be successful I think Penny needed a a decent O-line where he only needs to chip, which Seattle doesn't have. In regards to  pass blocking he is a borderline liability. Bad at cut blocks, regularly caught off balance, gets knocked backwards, drops his head, etc...

Depends on Pete Carroll and his commitment to his "best player on the field ethos" - Remember everyone expected Matt Flynn to start because how much they paid him when Wilson won the job even though he was a 3rd round pick.  For sure Seattle wants Penny to win the job....but I think he will have to win the job, and that isn't certain at the moment.  

Or "San Diego State 1st round pick Rashaad Penny" 

You see Marshall Faulk while I see Ronnie Hillman.  To be successful I think Penny needed a a decent O-line where he only needs to chip, which Seattle doesn't have. In regards to  pass blocking he is a borderline liability. Bad at cut blocks, regularly caught off balance, gets knocked backwards, drops his head, etc...

Depends on Pete Carroll and his commitment to his "best player on the field ethos" - Remember everyone expected Matt Flynn to start because how much they paid him when Wilson won the job even though he was a 3rd round pick.  For sure Seattle wants Penny to win the job....but I think he will have to win the job, and that isn't certain at the moment.  
No. He's just first round pick Rashaad Penny. 

AndI have stated multiple times that Carson may be a better NFL back.

And Hillman was amazing at SDSU but he wasn't even as good as Donnell Pumphrey. Penny was significantly better than both of them. 

Dr. Dan said:
You don't spend a 1st round draft pick (when you don't pick again until round 3) unless you plan to use the guy. And it very much could be Carson beats him out, but smart money is on this is Penny's job to lose. 
Here's what I think most people get wrong. Teams don't spend any picks for players they don't plan to use, but often it's just doesn't work that way. You get a player on camp and he just does not do what you scouted him to do. Dorsett was a first round pick for Colts and you just don't draft a player unless you plan to use the guy. I bet Colts had big plans how to use Dorsett, but Dorsett just wasn't good enough. Same might go for Penny, he was excellent in College, but no one knows how soon he will pick up NFL offense. Pete said that Seahawks season ended when Carson was injured. I bet he doesn't want to experience the same thing again... here's where Penny comes in. If Carson is not able to carry the load or if Penny shows that he's elite during training camp, Pete will play Penny. If Penny goes through learing curve, Pete has chance to give Penny time, while Carson wrecks havoc in NFL :P

Either way, I don't think anyone knows how this will work out until the season starts and all the talk about Penny being the back is just hypothetic. Pete likes to say positive things about his guys and he has already said Penny can be everydown back- that does not mean that he will play every down, it's just Pete talking about how great Pete is drafting guys.

Carson isn't going to go away easily. It's just OTAs, but unlike Rawls, he's healthy and fully over his rookie-year ending injury already. At least one beat report said he's the most impressive back out there from a physical standpoint. He's also probably a better pass blocker than Penny, which we know is important for rookie backs seeing the field. I won't be surprised at all if Carson and Penny have similar value this year, and Carson is good enough to make this a long-term RBBC

Carson isn't going to go away easily. It's just OTAs, but unlike Rawls, he's healthy and fully over his rookie-year ending injury already. At least one beat report said he's the most impressive back out there from a physical standpoint. He's also probably a better pass blocker than Penny, which we know is important for rookie backs seeing the field. I won't be surprised at all if Carson and Penny have similar value this year, and Carson is good enough to make this a long-term RBBC
:lmao:  this is going to be a fun schtick throughout the preseason... how do I justify my bogus Penny rookie ranking? I know I subtly talk about Carson in the offseason and then I’ll still have a 50/50 shot Penny fails. You going to head over to the Burkhead thread and praise him next? How about Samaje Perine? Still some life to be had over there. Maybe pump up Carlos Hyde while we’re busy making suggestions rookies won’t live up to their draft positions based on OTA’s and own personal prejudices. Your ranking of Penny was the worst and most egregious thing I’ve seen this entire offseason. Even if he fails that line of thinking that you’re so good you can put a first round RB in the second round of a rookie draft rankings is laughable. Literally no reputable source agreed with you. The best fantasy, daily and best ball minds all had Penny in their top 4. It makes FBG’s look like a joke. 

Users who are viewing this thread