What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chase Edmonds, TB (1 Viewer)

Didn't he practice in full today?
I read the same reports
Groin/no Groin he practiced in full and it would seem h is a full go on Sunday. i expect a minimum of about 12-14 touches, possibly more if he gets hot or Miami can build a lead and pound the football.
He's in play in Flex spots for most redraft teams.
Cam Akers practiced in full too...
Achilles tear I'm assuming makes a big difference and I'm not trying to be a smartass at all. I think also Chase looked really sharp in his limited preseason touches.
We also were hearing that Henderson was getting at least half the reps with the first team.

I think there are some big distinctions here that make the situations different

it's an interesting case

Chase Edmonds has only run behind gap blocking schemes

Raheem Mostert has only run behind zone blocking

Edmonds and McDaniel were hyping each other up this summer, excited about what he can do, it's all new to him this one cut and go fast concept

I drafted Edmonds as my RB3/Flex and I think he's gonna be the lead back with good value

but it's not an ideal situation for him

Beg to differ but they targeted Edmonds because his skillset and running style are absolutely ideal for McDaniel's Zone blocking scheme.

Conner Allen reported a stat showing that Edmonds was the #1 back in the NFL when running behind a zone blocking scheme (min 50 carries)

Connor Allen

@ConnorAllenNFL
·
Jun 13

Former SF run-game coordinator and OC Mike McDaniel is now the Dolphins HC. Per
@SportsInfo_SIS , the 49ers used zone blocking 282 times last season, 6th-most in the NFL.

Chase Edmonds on zone blocking last season (50+ carries)
EPA per play: 1st
Yards Per Attempt: 5.8 (1st)

I’m kinda forced to start him as my rb2 tomorrow. I cannot say that I feel super comfortable about it—but I don’t have much of a choice. It was an auction draft and I went for a few studs—so I am now in a position to where my wr2, rb2 , and flex spot are occupied by question mark fantasy options. What are most people’s expectations of what to expect from Edmonds tomorrow. I personally am putting my expectations at around 8-9 points in half point ppr. Anything above that I will be pleasantly surprised.

it's an interesting case

Chase Edmonds has only run behind gap blocking schemes

Raheem Mostert has only run behind zone blocking

Edmonds and McDaniel were hyping each other up this summer, excited about what he can do, it's all new to him this one cut and go fast concept

I drafted Edmonds as my RB3/Flex and I think he's gonna be the lead back with good value

but it's not an ideal situation for him

Beg to differ but they targeted Edmonds because his skillset and running style are absolutely ideal for McDaniel's Zone blocking scheme.

Conner Allen reported a stat showing that Edmonds was the #1 back in the NFL when running behind a zone blocking scheme (min 50 carries)

Connor Allen
@ConnorAllenNFL
·
Jun 13

Former SF run-game coordinator and OC Mike McDaniel is now the Dolphins HC. Per
@SportsInfo_SIS , the 49ers used zone blocking 282 times last season, 6th-most in the NFL.

Chase Edmonds on zone blocking last season (50+ carries)
EPA per play: 1st
Yards Per Attempt: 5.8 (1st)

Yep, I’ve seen that tweet/stat. FTRI wasn’t offering an opinion, just parroting the player.

WHY CHASE EDMONDS IS AN IDEAL RB1 FOR THE DOLPHINS’ OFFENSE

(Honda, been posted several times)

This should clear things up; AZ ran inside zone, Shanahan/McDaniel run outside zone. Similar words, totally different philosophy.

Chase Edmonds fit in Miami​

With Mike McDaniel as the play-caller in Miami, his offensive scheme is centered around the outside zone running game. Edmonds, while in Arizona did indeed play with zone blocking but in an inside zone scheme.

“The flow of the backers is different because in inside zone, it’s more slow to fast, where I can pitter-patter my steps,” Edmonds said. “Outside zone here, it’s kind of like you’re riding a wave. Once you hit that wave, you’ve got to hit it and go. I’m getting used to that, getting my feet under me. I’m taking pride in that journey, that challenge of fine-tuning it.”

A bit hesitant to start him this week until we see how the touches are divided between him and Mostert (and maybe even Myles “the guy that won’t go away” Gaskin)

Last edited:
it's not going to matter , Edmonds should be a stud tomorrow. you try coming down here from NE , playing in the South Florida sun and heat at 1 in early september. Edmonds *might* be kept somewhat in check in the first quarter/first half..but NE will be worn down b the time the 3rd Q rolls around. it was 91 at 1030a at my sons football game this morning. probably mid-high 90s out there now and it's only 2p. and miami keeps opponents in the sun on the sidelines. remember taking a magifying lens and cooking ants with the sun baking on you? it's kind of like that. at a minimum the Pats will be worn down and miami will run all over them in the 2nd half.

it's not going to matter , Edmonds should be a stud tomorrow. you try coming down here from NE , playing in the South Florida sun and heat at 1 in early september. Edmonds *might* be kept somewhat in check in the first quarter/first half..but NE will be worn down b the time the 3rd Q rolls around. it was 91 at 1030a at my sons football game this morning. probably mid-high 90s out there now and it's only 2p. and miami keeps opponents in the sun on the sidelines. remember taking a magifying lens and cooking ants with the sun baking on you? it's kind of like that. at a minimum the Pats will be worn down and miami will run all over them in the 2nd half.
Had to run a few errands before the Canes game and it was absolute death outside with humidity and heat, not sure what the rain forecast is tomorrow but the ball is going to be slick and showers would not shock me at some point during the game. Whole State has been getting soaked with moisture from the gulf coming also from the South and it's loaded with rain and humidity. Not a good time to be outside.
Was supposed to go to Hard Rock at Noon today, declined. Enjoying the AC right now and a cold adult beverage streaming rosters for tomorrow.

Starting him over Pollard and Aiyuk.

I'm a huge NE fan. They never play well down there and this away game is usually slotted in December. Could see a blowout tmrw...unless Bill B. has been playing possum all preseason.

The reason he was such a value is that it's so easy to doubt him. He's mediocre, not quite suited for a starting role but not quite a third down back either. He is the kind of guy who pops for a few games then leaves you wondering why he can't be more. I'll pass but might throw a dart here or there in daily

@Ministry of Pain based on your comments I took Edmonds at 5.8 in my 12-team PPR redraft today.

I expect to start him tomorrow since we start 2 RBs and 2 flexes.
Typo: 6.5. Juju was my pick at 5.8.
Like JuJu quite a lot but wish we had something more to go on since 2018, last 2 years under Small Ben was excruciating.
I took Chase in the 7th-8th as an RB3 in a few leagues, liked the upside and accept that he will be sharing touches and I'm fine with that. Keep him fresh, Flex worthy and a decent option for bye weeks and spot starts vs softer defenses. Again, Mostert is going to be involved and should he miss any time, Gaskin will slide in and help out.

I think many Miami Dolphins' role players that are not named Tyreek Hill are going to be involved in the offense.

Chase Edmonds rushed 12 times for 25 yards and caught all four targets for 40 yards in the Dolphins' Week 1 win over the Patriots.

Nothing to write home about here in the box score for Edmonds, but he did out-touch Raheem Mostert 16-6. Edmonds made some big first downs late in the game to kill the clock. The Dolphins only scored one touchdown on offense and never threatened the red zone much in this one, so it will be interesting to see how the Dolphins handle goal-line looks in the backfield. Edmonds will be a back-end RB2 next week at the Ravens.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Dolphins ran 69 plays

RB snaps were Mostert 39, Edmonds 36 (closer than I imagined)

Touches were 14-8, targets 3 each

Disappointing week, didn’t expect Raheem to start, but it’s one week.

Edmonds preseason consensus ADP was RB25. FBGs preseason projections had him around RB29 in PPR. After one week, FBGs ROS had him as RB18. I see another popular site has him RB31 today (new ROS rankings.)

Pretty wild swings and polarizing views. I guess I can understand if you drafted him as an RB3/FL and spent the week thinking “whew boy, RB18 rest of the way, that’s plug n play!” But IDK if that was realistic.

Not too worried about Mostert. HC has a level of comfort with him. He’s stayed healthy exactly once in the last 5 seasons, has missed 36 games. GP: 11, 9, 16,8, 1. Let’s see how this plays out.

Personally, I expect my RB 25ish, RB3/FL to be inconsistent. Chase missed 3 g three years ago and 5 in 2021. Still played 12 more g the last 4 years than the 30 year old has played in the last 5.

Let’s be patient and see how this plays out.

Mostert or Edmonds ROS?
I watched the game and was shocked to see Mostert starting for Miami, even the TV scrolling the names had Edmonds listed as starting but it was clearly Mostert and we didn't see Edmonds as much until the 2nd Half and Miami was way behind.

@BobbyLayne do you happen to know what the snap breakdown was in the 4th Q? Because a lot is being made of 1 quarter of football in Miami. I love my Phins but anyone that thinks last week will be a weekly thing is smoking better cheeba than I'm blazing thru.

Edmonds flashed some of his upside with the late 30 yd scamper in the game. History tells us this might be a 1-back show sooner or later and it's possible we see other RBs shuffled thru this offense at different points of the season.

I'm trying to bend the ear of Grier and get Hunt from Cleveland. I think he would take the run game to another level.

@BobbyLayne do you happen to know what the snap breakdown was in the 4th Q? Because a lot is being made of 1 quarter of football in Miami. I love my Phins but anyone that thinks last week will be a weekly thing is smoking better cheeba than I'm blazing thru.

I don't know anybody who breaks down snaps by quarter. Miami ran 20 4th quarter plays, 17 of them drop backs, each back had a 1st & 10 carry, neither was targeted, and then on the last drive Chase had the 28 yarder up the middle to the 7 on 2nd & 1. Game winner two plays later.

I don't know anybody who breaks down snaps by quarter. Miami ran 20 4th quarter plays, 17 of them drop backs, each back had a 1st & 10 carry, neither was targeted, and then on the last drive Chase had the 28 yarder up the middle to the 7 on 2nd & 1. Game winner two plays later.
The eye-ball says I watched Edmonds in there more in the 3rd and 4th Q if you say the snaps counts were similar because early in that game it was all Mostert. Of course, Miami only ran a few plays in the 1st Q, their 2nd Drive might not have come until the 2nd Q but I would have to double check.

-Assume they told Raheem he was getting the 1st 2 Drives or start the 1st 2 drives, Edmonds because of how the game unfolded did not get his 1st touches until the 2nd Q but then he was used extensively in the 2nd half.

Buffalo will force Miami to pass at some point is my guess, that favors Edmonds a little more.

Buffalo will force Miami to pass at some point is my guess, that favors Edmonds a little more.

You would think, but honestly I thought he’d have more than 3.5 targets per g this year. They’re pacing for over 125 RB targets but I thought Chase would have a greater market share. It’s early, let’s see how that shakes out.

They’ll probably throw to Mostert & the FB a few times, outside of the two WR studs they seem to like to spread the love.

Maybe locals have heard something, but there has to be something going on why Edmonds was played so sparingly in week 2. Perhaps the way he played in week 1 - didn't run decisively or something like that.

First free agent signed out of the gate, fairly big contract (at least for what RBs are going for these days), and a seemingly perfect fit for the new offensive scheme - just doesn't add up.

Maybe locals have heard something, but there has to be something going on why Edmonds was played so sparingly in week 2. Perhaps the way he played in week 1 - didn't run decisively or something like that.

First free agent signed out of the gate, fairly big contract (at least for what RBs are going for these days), and a seemingly perfect fit for the new offensive scheme - just doesn't add up.

For transparency, Edmonds was one of my four keepers heading into this season.

In a vacuum, an annoying Mostert-Edmonds split seemed likely coming into the season. But I could not and still can't ignore that dang contract and the aggressiveness to go out and get him. Maybe it means nothing, but Edmonds was the first major/semi-major signing of the free agent period. Of course, I think we can all wait for the inevitable Mostert injury as well.

The other factor here: is it possible Edmonds would be a better fantasy play on an inferior Miami offense?

Mostert has looked like a better 1st and 2nd down between the tackles runner. He runs tougher than I expected for a speed guy. But, that Edmonds 28 yard run to set up the winning TD vs BAL may convince the coaches to use Edmonds a little more. I think coach MM likes Mostert from his SF days and is inspired by his hard work to recover from the knee injury. MM was instrumental in bringing Cracraft and Mostert to Miami.

I don't think it's that so much as McDaniel just having a level of comfort with a veteran he has worked with for 6 straight seasons. Don't really get the sense it's anything negative about Edmonds, and I don't think the Week 2 script is the template for the next 16 weeks. It's a long season.

You would think, but honestly I thought he’d have more than 3.5 targets per g this year. They’re pacing for over 125 RB targets but I thought Chase would have a greater market share. It’s early, let’s see how that shakes out.

They’ll probably throw to Mostert & the FB a few times, outside of the two WR studs they seem to like to spread the love.
Right now teams don't have an answer to Reek and Waddle. Why stop throwing to those 2 to throw to lesser options until teams make them do it?

Between the 2 RBs, Edmonds is the one running routes past the line of scrimmage. Mostert has gotten more use on screens. Makes sense considering Edmonds has good receiving chops, but Mostert looks nearly as fast as ever (which I wasn't really expecting), and his speed is more dangerous in space.

Ha yeah I could have done without the Myles Gaskin comparison, but the RYOE is stat based no? Ie objective?

I have shares of both Edmonds and Mostert. Just looking for clues. Thanks guys.

I’m not going to pretend to know how this is going to workout but the reactions week after week on some of these players is all over the place.

It was thought to be a split going into game 1 and after week 1 snap counts that we’re dominated by Edmonds with mostert getting little work. Then in week 2, Edmonds is the start of the week and big sleeper and Mostert out touches him game 2 and now Mostert is the starter.

It’s 2 games with en entirely new team and coaching staff. No one knows anything yet…seems like McCarthy is a smart guy and seems like there may have been different game plans for each game. He could coach RBs like Belechick and rotate backs game to game.

The one thing I do think I know is that the RB likely won’t matter much on this team…the offense is going to go thru what may be the top WR tandem in the league.

Last edited:
I’m not going to pretend to know how this is going to workout but the reactions week after week on some of these players is all over the place.

It was thought to be a split going into game 1 and after week 1 snap counts that we’re dominated by Edmonds with mostert getting little work. Then in week 2, Edmonds is the start of the week and big sleeper and Mostert out touches him game 2 and now Mostert is the starter.

It’s 2 games with en entirely new team and coaching staff. No one knows anything yet…seems like McCarthy is a smart guy and seems like there may have been different game plans for each game. He could coach RBs like Belechick and rotate backs game to game.

The one thing I do think I know is that the RB likely won’t matter much on this team…the offense is going to go thru what may be the top WR tandem in the league.
The counter argument is that the RB gets dragged to fantasy relevancy by what could be a high powered offense. With the amount of attention defenses will have to give to Hill and Waddle I'm happy to bet on Mostert

The counter argument is that the RB gets dragged to fantasy relevancy by what could be a high powered offense. With the amount of attention defenses will have to give to Hill and Waddle I'm happy to bet on Mostert
I might think that when I see that but so far there’s been nothing close to suggest that from the coach or what’s happened on the field.

I'm just bummed that at 7.3 I was debating between Edmonds and QB Hurts, who was the last premium QB still on the board. I only had 2 RB's at that point and I'm pretty old school when it comes to drafting RB, so I went with Edmonds. Disappointing start of the season to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread