What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chase Edmonds, TB (1 Viewer)

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said James Conner (ankle) will undergo an MRI.

Conner stayed down on the field for a prolonged period after injuring his ankle on the final play of Monday night's loss. Kingsbury added that he "probably has played Conner too many snaps in Chase Edmonds' absence." With the latter expected to be activated off injured reserve in Week 15, managers should expect Conner's bell-cow usage to discontinue even if healthy.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Implying that he's not a work horse and needs to be RBBC in some percentage.

Great info, I checked status of Edmonds and he WAS NOT activated to my knowledge on Monday and therefore is not eligible at this point to play this weekend. 

Maybe I am totally wrong but that's how I am reading it over my first cup of coffee this morning. 

Great info, I checked status of Edmonds and he WAS NOT activated to my knowledge on Monday and therefore is not eligible at this point to play this weekend. 

Maybe I am totally wrong but that's how I am reading it over my first cup of coffee this morning. 
I think the quote you read about Monday was referring to the fact that they had until 4 pm last Monday to activate him for the MNF game 

OK but I am not conversing with NFL coaches and this is a fantasy site.  Not sure what your point is.
You said:

Jamesinaz said:
Can you see any reason to rush Edmonds back with Conner looking like a top 5 RB now?
The Cardinals don't care how many FF points Conner has scored so that isn't going to factor into their decision on Edmonds. Conner isn't close to a top 5 NFL RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said:

The Cardinals don't care how many FF points Conner has scored so that isn't going to factor into their decision on Edmonds. Conner isn't close to a top 5 NFL RB.

First off the above is NOT my quote.  I am the guy that said he IS a top 5 RB since Edmonds went down.  Maybe I don't understand the quote feature here as I am quoting what you quoted to me. 

Regardless of who said what I will stand by the statement that since Edmonds went down Conner has been a top 5 RB.  Real or fantasy.  Edmonds went down early week 9.  So let's evaluate production by Conner in the weeks Edmonds was gone - weeks 9-14.  On average he delivered:

16 carries for 60.6 yards for 3.79 yards per carry

4.8 receptions for 53.8 yards per game

Total of 114 yards per game

8 TDs

Over the course of those 5 games I'm open to who has been better in fantasy or real football.  While I agree he isn't the most talented RB in the game (Henry, Taylor or Chubb IMO), over those 5 games he has been as productive as any other RB.  Maybe excluding Taylor. 

I posited that based on production as the clear starter Conner is a top 5 RB.  If you are a real coach of a team trying to get to the superbowl assuming health of both which of Edmonds or Conner who are you giving the most playing time to?  That was my point.  People are free to believe he is no better than 15 I don't care.  I am opining that he looks better than Chase and should be the nominal starter going forward. 

First off the above is NOT my quote.  I am the guy that said he IS a top 5 RB since Edmonds went down.  Maybe I don't understand the quote feature here as I am quoting what you quoted to me. 

Regardless of who said what I will stand by the statement that since Edmonds went down Conner has been a top 5 RB.  Real or fantasy.  Edmonds went down early week 9.  So let's evaluate production by Conner in the weeks Edmonds was gone - weeks 9-14.  On average he delivered:

16 carries for 60.6 yards for 3.79 yards per carry

4.8 receptions for 53.8 yards per game

Total of 114 yards per game

8 TDs

Over the course of those 5 games I'm open to who has been better in fantasy or real football.  While I agree he isn't the most talented RB in the game (Henry, Taylor or Chubb IMO), over those 5 games he has been as productive as any other RB.  Maybe excluding Taylor. 

I posited that based on production as the clear starter Conner is a top 5 RB.  If you are a real coach of a team trying to get to the superbowl assuming health of both which of Edmonds or Conner who are you giving the most playing time to?  That was my point.  People are free to believe he is no better than 15 I don't care.  I am opining that he looks better than Chase and should be the nominal starter going forward. 
No idea what you mean about the quote, all I did was quote two of your posts. I know you said he's a top 5 RB, I completely disagree.

Anyway, on no planet is someone averaging 3.79 ypc a top 5 NFL RB. He's good around the goal line but other than that it's all about the volume with him. I think Edmonds is better (other than short yardage), and their coaches agreed since he was the starter prior to his injury, but that's not the point.

For fantasy, yes he is (was) a top 5 RB. In real life, where the Cardinals make their decisions, nope.

One of the interesting parts here in the Conner vs. Edmonds debate is that since Chase's injury, Conner has been used in downfield passing routes.  I haven't watched every Cardinals game, nor do I have any stats to back this up, but from the few I've watched, Edmonds' passing work was limited to dump-offs.

It strikes me as odd given that Edmonds is a demonstrably solid receiving back.  I imagine Edmonds might thrive with a similar opportunity - perhaps we'll see this week against Detroit.

humpback said:
No idea what you mean about the quote, all I did was quote two of your posts. I know you said he's a top 5 RB, I completely disagree.

Anyway, on no planet is someone averaging 3.79 ypc a top 5 NFL RB. He's good around the goal line but other than that it's all about the volume with him. I think Edmonds is better (other than short yardage), and their coaches agreed since he was the starter prior to his injury, but that's not the point.

For fantasy, yes he is (was) a top 5 RB. In real life, where the Cardinals make their decisions, nope.
The quote thing here is weird so no problem.  And I'm OK we disagree.  Over that span without Edmonds I believe Conner was inside the top 5 real RBs in the NFL.  But we can just disagree.

We shall see going forward how Kingsberry feels about his RBs.  Might be who is healthy now that Conner is dinged up.

rschroeder1 said:
One of the interesting parts here in the Conner vs. Edmonds debate is that since Chase's injury, Conner has been used in downfield passing routes.  I haven't watched every Cardinals game, nor do I have any stats to back this up, but from the few I've watched, Edmonds' passing work was limited to dump-offs.

It strikes me as odd given that Edmonds is a demonstrably solid receiving back.  I imagine Edmonds might thrive with a similar opportunity - perhaps we'll see this week against Detroit.

As a local I do watch most of the Cardinals games and noticed the same thing.  I always thought they should have run Edmonds more downfield under the coverage.  I have seen Conner make some impressive one handed catches and once in the open he isn't fun to tackle for DBs. 

As a Cards fan I really don't care who is #1.  I am opining but not really all that concerned with being right.  I am just hopeful for an AZ Superbowl title. 

The Dude said:
Any insight into how this plays out between him and a questionable Connor this week?

Too late to help but at the half it doesn't look like either of them is a primary weapon.  Course AZ hasn't done much on offense in the first half.

Anyone else considering inserting him into the lineup with news that Conner is out? It's been so long since we've seen him be productive, and Indy's run D is tough (although Darius Leonard was just put on the Covid list).

I hate making last-minute roster substitutions, but strongly considering putting him in over Gibson (who might not even play tomorrow night)

Anyone else considering inserting him into the lineup with news that Conner is out? It's been so long since we've seen him be productive, and Indy's run D is tough (although Darius Leonard was just put on the Covid list).

I hate making last-minute roster substitutions, but strongly considering putting him in over Gibson (who might not even play tomorrow night)
I’m playing him but I have to as it was him or Conner. I’m happy for the clarity with Conner out but wondering how much his role will increase. Eno could take on some of the Conner role. 

I put him in over Gibson.PPR

i could start Gibson over a WR if he plays

Yeah, that's what I did as well. I could still start Gibson over Jacobs/JJackson, but I feel pretty good about both of those guys, so Gibson will most likely sit for me.
Thanks…nice to see other’s thought processes.

I have Edmonds, Johnathan Taylor, Justin Jefferson and Cooper Kupp locked in. Then need  to chose one from Gibson, Mooney, Van Jefferson, or Pittman

Thanks…nice to see other’s thought processes.

I have Edmonds, Johnathan Taylor, Justin Jefferson and Cooper Kupp locked in. Then need  to chose one from Gibson, Mooney, Van Jefferson, or Pittman
Don't want to hijack an Edmonds thread but I think among those I'd probably stick with Gibson, unless you're an underdog and want the high-variance play of Jefferson. (Then again, with those starters I'm guessing you're not an underdog).

Good luck, and either way, let's hope for tons of Edmonds volume tonight!

Crazy to bench mixson for chase? Td heavy league and I think the way to beat ravens in through air right now. Mason hasn't been productive in about a month. Chase will get volume if nothing else tonight

Crazy to bench mixson for chase? Td heavy league and I think the way to beat ravens in through air right now. Mason hasn't been productive in about a month. Chase will get volume if nothing else tonight
Yeah I would still play Mixon.  I happen to be starting both.

Don't want to hijack an Edmonds thread but I think among those I'd probably stick with Gibson, unless you're an underdog and want the high-variance play of Jefferson. (Then again, with those starters I'm guessing you're not an underdog).

Good luck, and either way, let's hope for tons of Edmonds volume tonight!
Thanks!
As far as Gibson, Patterson scares the heck out of me, especially if Gibson isn’t close to 100%

I will say, as happy as I am with his usage/production, that third-down run on the previous drive showed his limitations. He's just not going to bully his way for an extra yard. You can tell why they were giving Conner all the GL carries when both were healthy.

Dolphins signed RB Chase Edmonds, formerly of the Cardinals, to a two-year, $12.6 million contract. 

The deal includes $6.1 million guaranteed. It's a perfect landing spot for Edmonds both from an opportunity and coaching fit standpoint. Arguably no team was in greater need of adding quality touches to its backfield, while new coach Mike McDaniel comes from the most running back-friendly coaching tree there is in Kyle Shanahan. Headed into his age-26 campaign, Edmonds seems typecast as a committee back, though that money leaves little doubt he will be the "1A" in Miami. Although he is capable of handling the ball on all three downs, there is a chance Edmonds will continue to be yanked off the field near the goal line. That could cap his fantasy upside, but it is also just speculation. Edmonds can justifiably be considered a locked-in RB2.

RELATED: 

Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 14, 2022, 12:14 PM ET

Dolphins signed RB Chase Edmonds
Name change for the thread is overdue.

Nice piece on Chase.

---------------------------------

The Beautiful Mind of Chase Edmonds, Part I: 'I was scared ####less’

Miami hasn't won a playoff game since 2000? That can change in 2022 (really!) because of the team's new top running back. Everything Edmonds has been through created a mind unlike any in the NFL.

...He isn’t shy when it comes to his impact. He declares himself the smartest running back in the NFL and knows his brains make him a perfect fit for one of the league’s brainiest playcallers.

...The 5-9 back would strap five massive chains around his neck for weighted squats and do 15 reps when everyone else was lucky to do one or two. Freakish strength that fed what Anderson labels “freak of nature” cutting ability.

Take one look at Edmonds in street clothes and, eh. You see a small fella with a narrow waist. He appears easy to tackle. Intimidating as a pharmacist. But his quads? Massive. “Saquon-style,” Anderson adds. That’s what allowed Edmonds to pinball off defenders who had 50 pounds on him.

...Edmonds understood that running the football was all about “chip… chip… chip… home run.” He very rarely took negative carries because he wasn’t trying to recklessly bounce plays wide. Rather, he’d stick with his read, humbly accept his two-yard gain and patiently wait for a game-changing moment to explode for 70, 80, 90 yards. Broadcasters liberally regurgitate the term “vision” on TV but — after teaming up with Edmonds — Anderson learned that vision is far, far more than a nice cutback. It’s understanding what types of runs are called on what downs and distances. It’s mastering the bigger picture.

His running style is rooted in setting up a defense up — with intelligence...

Name change for the thread is overdue.

Nice piece on Chase.

---------------------------------

The Beautiful Mind of Chase Edmonds, Part I: 'I was scared ####less’

Miami hasn't won a playoff game since 2000? That can change in 2022 (really!) because of the team's new top running back. Everything Edmonds has been through created a mind unlike any in the NFL.

...He isn’t shy when it comes to his impact. He declares himself the smartest running back in the NFL and knows his brains make him a perfect fit for one of the league’s brainiest playcallers.

...The 5-9 back would strap five massive chains around his neck for weighted squats and do 15 reps when everyone else was lucky to do one or two. Freakish strength that fed what Anderson labels “freak of nature” cutting ability.

Take one look at Edmonds in street clothes and, eh. You see a small fella with a narrow waist. He appears easy to tackle. Intimidating as a pharmacist. But his quads? Massive. “Saquon-style,” Anderson adds. That’s what allowed Edmonds to pinball off defenders who had 50 pounds on him.

...Edmonds understood that running the football was all about “chip… chip… chip… home run.” He very rarely took negative carries because he wasn’t trying to recklessly bounce plays wide. Rather, he’d stick with his read, humbly accept his two-yard gain and patiently wait for a game-changing moment to explode for 70, 80, 90 yards. Broadcasters liberally regurgitate the term “vision” on TV but — after teaming up with Edmonds — Anderson learned that vision is far, far more than a nice cutback. It’s understanding what types of runs are called on what downs and distances. It’s mastering the bigger picture.

His running style is rooted in setting up a defense up — with intelligence...
lolz

Time to change the title. First 2 drives in the 1st quarter, Edmonds starts and is involved in 2 first down pass receptions. Converting a 3rd and 4 with a 17 yard reception off a Tua scramble, and a 3rd and 3, faking out a defender in space to get 4 yards.

2nd quarter, Michel in and he fails to convert on 2 short yardage plays. Edmonds should exceed his ADP (#33 RB) in ppr. Mostert kept out of the game as a precaution, but supposedly he's ready.

I like his value. He’s also somewhat fragile and Sony is a very cheap handcuff. If you draft Chase, I’d recommend grabbing Sony. Worth the roster spot, IMO.

I am not sure there is much left with Sony. I would rather roster a handcuff/platoon back from another team.

He looked pretty good with the Rams last year.
I did draft him last in many leagues as I didn't trust Henderson to stay healthy and Sony was helpful. To be honest, I didn't watch many of his games but what I saw didn't impress me. Maybe I am just remembering how explosive he looked at Georgia and just can't get over how much of a between the tackles plodder he's become.

Users who are viewing this thread