What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (4 Viewers)

McKissic graded out a top 5 RB in pass pro last year. Not sure where he ended up but in mid-November Gibson was DFL. I’m sure that is at least partially a factor in preferring JDM on 3rd down & inside 2 minutes.

Last year when #41 had his target monster games it was bc he was often the only back playing when they were down by more than one score.

Gibson was open so frequently in the flat, but Heinicke would always go for the larger plays - which was pretty effective.  

I agree completely.  Hienicke just wasn't really interested in dumping off.  Always looking downfield. Not  a good sign for Gibson owners, but it's still early.  It worked last night despite that ugly interception that should have cost them the game.  Not sure if it will all year though. 

teams will figure out the beer man and his production will slip. Gibson could have had a big, big night. I'm not starting Gibson until I see an increase in usage and production. I might look to trade him and get away from this WFT mess.

teams will figure out the beer man and his production will slip. Gibson could have had a big, big night. I'm not starting Gibson until I see an increase in usage and production. I might look to trade him and get away from this WFT mess.
Yeah, 19 touches per game so far is terrible.   Most people probably have a superior RB option just sitting on their bench or available via waivers.

In Redraft, I don't see how you have a viable option unless you went 3RB 1-3 rounds or play in a 6 team league.  I really don't understand McKissic's heavy involvement in the passing game.  They were running Gibson into the flat, where he had a 8 yard cushion and he still wasn't getting looks, but then they would fling the ball to McKissic on contested wheel routes.  I don't think you can trade him and get much value for him.  You're going to get a guy who's ceiling is 19 touches a game.  

I've just never seen a RB be so effective and then be completely underutilized in the 2nd half.  Oh wait, *rewatches Baltimore Ravens/Las Vegas Raiders game* - yes, I have.  

Antonio Gibson (shoulder) was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice.

Gibson suffered the shoulder injury in Washington's opener but was able to play through it on a short week of rest last week. Barring any setbacks, he should have no problem suiting up for the Football Team's Week 3 match versus the Bills. Gibson has 38 touches through two weeks and is seeing a meaningful receiving role despite McKissic still handling the two-minute drills. Even in a game that should see Washington trailing throughout, Gibson remains in the RB1 conversation. 

SOURCE: Sam Fortier on Twitter

Sep 22, 2021, 1:47 PM ET

Antonio Gibson (shoulder) was a full participant in Thursday's practice.

When asked about the extent of Gibson's injury, coach Ron Rivera encouragingly responded, "He's fine." Gibson will undoubtedly be suited up as a low-end RB1 against the Bills in Week 3 after increased participation in Thursday's practice. His managers should continue starting him with confidence then yelling about J.D. McKissic's usage post-game.

SOURCE: Sam Fortier on Twitter

Sep 23, 2021, 12:45 PM ET

Washington head coach Ron Rivera said Antonio Gibson (shoulder) is "good to go" for Week 3 against the Bills. 

There was never much doubt about Gibson's Week 3 status after he logged a full practice Thursday. He'll continue operating as the Football Team's early-down back. He's eaten into J.D. McKissic's early-down route running this season, though McKissic remains the team's go-to option in two-minute drills and third downs. Gibson is a low-end RB1 against Buffalo. 

SOURCE: Zach Selby on Twitter 

Sep 24, 2021, 10:09 AM ET

From Rotoworld, FWIW: 

ANTONIO GIBSON RB, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Antonio Gibson, who did not participate in Thursday's practice, is dealing with a shin issue. 

He did practice on Wednesday, but the shin development is new to the story and Gibson was seen by beat reporters wearing a sleeve on his shin on Wednesday as well. The sense, per Ben Standig of The Athletic, is that this is a precautionary DNP. This remains more of a fact-finding mission until we hear from Washington's coaches, but the initial reports don't sound bad for Gibson's chances of playing. 

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Sep 30, 2021, 1:50 PM ET

From Rotoworld, FWIW: 

ANTONIO GIBSON RB, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Antonio Gibson, who did not participate in Thursday's practice, is dealing with a shin issue. 

He did practice on Wednesday, but the shin development is new to the story and Gibson was seen by beat reporters wearing a sleeve on his shin on Wednesday as well. The sense, per Ben Standig of The Athletic, is that this is a precautionary DNP. This remains more of a fact-finding mission until we hear from Washington's coaches, but the initial reports don't sound bad for Gibson's chances of playing. 

Sep 30, 2021, 1:50 PM ET

Uhhg.  Toe, shoulder and now shin. 

And I was just getting excited about Rivera telling Hienicke that he needs to be more of a game manager and take less risks.  I was envisioning all those dump offs to Gibson.  If this is nothing I do think we'll see some more targets. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So he practiced today but is listed officially as questionable. Its Atlanta so the matchup is good, but maaan I just have this lingering doubt that he will get a full workload given the dings he is getting this season and McKissic is more valuable Vs Atlanta. I am wavering back and forth between him and C.Patterson in the Flex......

Via Rotoworld:

Antonio Gibson (shin) is questionable for Week 4 against the Falcons.

Coach Ron Rivera said he's "pretty confident" about Gibson's status for Sunday but wants to see how the latter feels tomorrow before making any decisions. Gibson was at least limited on Friday and received reps "as expected." Assuming he's available, he remains a low-end RB1 in a terrific spot against Atlanta's leaky front-seven.

Oct 1, 2021, 1:14 PM ET

I think starting Patterson over Gibson is overthinking it if this doesn't reach a GTD level of questionable against Atlanta, but I get the apprehension.    The shin was enough for me to secure WFT's Patterson off my dynasty wire.   Can't justify that it re-draft at this point, but monitoring this situation.   

Injuries are part of the game but it makes me wonder if these lower mileage running backs are more prone. Probably not correlated but he never had a full workload so you never know how they respond.

Those that don’t realize the majority of the NFL uses RBBC will continue to disappointed in running backs usage. This trend will be greater this year with the expanded schedule and will continue to progress in the future.
I keep seeing people say things like “this guy is stuck in RBBC hell” (especially when it helps their argument) and I’m thinking 85% of all RBs are in some form of a RBBC.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport Reports Antonio Gibson (shin) is expected to play in Week 4 against the Falcons.

Washington coach Ron Rivera noted earlier in the week that he was "pretty confident" Gibson would play this week so it's safe to assume the second-year back will serve his normal role. He has earned 51 touches through three weeks but is still giving up two-minute reps to J.D. McKissic. The two are tied at nine targets apiece on the year. Gibson remains a low-end RB1 versus a weak Atlanta defense.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 3, 2021, 9:17 AM ET

Antonio Gibson had 14 rushes for 63 yards and a touchdown in Washington's Week 4 win against the Falcons, adding two catches for 12 yards. 

Gibson retained his regular role as the Football Team's early-down back while J.D. McKissic served as the two-minute and third down back. Gibson scored his touchdown on a first half goal line carry. The Football Team wasn't in position to feed Gibson in this one, limiting Gibson's second half opportunity against a defense he could have dominated. As usual, he'll be a low-end RB1 in Week 5 against the Saints.

I see Brandon Scherff is going to miss a couple of weeks. How much does his absence move Gibson down in the RB rankings during that time?

Washington’s next two games are NO & KC

Antonio Gibson (shin) was upgraded to "limited" for Thursday's practice.

Nothing about Gibson's playing time on Sunday showed the shin to be a real factor, as he continued to be a roughly 55-65 percent player for the Football Team without a carry dropoff. This should increase confidence that the Football Team are merely managing the injury. Stay tuned for the Friday injury report, but this is a step in the right direction. 

Oct 7, 2021, 1:49 PM ET

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1446574691741732865?s=20

“Washington worked out former Jets and Eagles RB Josh Adam’s. Antonio Gibson is currently playing through what he revealed is a stress fracture in his shin.“

How concerning is this for Gibson owners. Doesn’t feel good to see them looking at depth. Even if it’s a no name.
Doesn't make me thrilled but I wonder if its also a sign Patterson isn't translating on Sunday. He's had very little success so far...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Antonio Gibson (shin) is expected to play in Week 5 against the Saints.

Gibson is dealing with a stress fracture in his shin but he's already played through it at least once. He should continue to see his normal workload versus the Saints this week. J.D. McKissic remains involved in the offense, keeping Gibson from being a locked-in RB1 option. Even with McKissic stealing touches, Gibson has managed 16.8 touches per game, most of which have come on the ground. He projects as a high-end RB2 versus the Saints this week. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 10, 2021, 8:31 AM ET

Doesn't make me thrilled but I wonder if its also a sign Patterson isn't translating on Sunday. He's had very little success so far...
It doesn’t seem like Patterson has had many opportunities after looking great in the preseason. Depth is necessary and maybe they are just looking at some to get ahead of the curve. But you are not necessarily wrong, maybe there is not much faith in Patterson (or the Gibson injury is more concerning than we know).

Antonio Gibson had 20 rushes for 60 yards and two touchdowns in Washington's Week 5 loss to the Saints, adding two receptions for 12 yards. 

Gibson's inefficient outing looks a whole lot better with two short tumbles in the end zone paint. Washington largely abandoned any pretense of a balanced offense in the fourth quarter, limiting Gibson's carries. J.D. McKissic again out-targeted Gibson (four to two) as Washington's running back in two-minute drills and most third downs. Gibson's short yardage usage -- including near the end zone -- should give him a sturdy weekly floor in every matchup, including next week against Kansas City. 

Oct 10, 2021, 4:45 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Antonio Gibson (shin) is expected to play in Week 6 against the Chiefs.

Gibson has played through the shin injury for a few weeks now and has yet to appear hampered by the issue. Football Team offensive coordinator Scott Turner even noted that Gibson's limited tags in practice are more maintenance than actual concern. Gibson remains on the RB1/2 borderline versus the Chiefs this week.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 17, 2021, 9:05 AM ET

Antonio Gibson had ten rushes for 44 yards in the Football Team's Week 6 loss to the Chiefs, adding two catches for zero yards. 

The main takeaway from Gibson's Week 6 outing was his continuing struggles with a shin injury that's hobbled him for weeks. It would hardly be surprising if the Football Team rested their stud back next week against the Packers, or perhaps for a couple weeks until he gets right. Gibson saw his usual role in Week 6 against the Chiefs, taking most early-down carries and receptions and ceding backfield work to J.D. McKissic during two-minutes drills and on most third downs. Gibson's Week 7 practice status will be among the most closely watched. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

I love this guy but I'm off the bus.   The toe last year that was apparently bugging him still this summer.  The fractured shin now.  But most of all, McKissic taking all the passing downs and 2min drill stuff.   That was ALWAYS how Gibson was going to become a stud and he's not even on the field in those situations.   

I love this guy but I'm off the bus.   The toe last year that was apparently bugging him still this summer.  The fractured shin now.  But most of all, McKissic taking all the passing downs and 2min drill stuff.   That was ALWAYS how Gibson was going to become a stud and he's not even on the field in those situations.   

Kind of mad at myself for not taking the profit and selling high given his meteoric ascent in dynasty.   He might not ever touch 1st round startup value again if he misses major time now that he has an injury history.   At the same time, tough to sell when there's Ron Rivera wants to make him CMC 2.0 chatter.   Hoping he can get the shin and toe right and do some damage in the fantasy playoffs if he misses time.   

So.... are we to assume MRI results were negative at this point?   WFT beat reporter, please report to aisle 1. 

I'm prepared for and would actually welcome him sitting out week 7.    I wouldn't even hate a 3-week stay on IR if there's a healthy Antonio Gibson on the other side of it.    I would think anything longer than that would indicate something came back bad on the MRI.

I don't have a DST at the moment and my most droppable bench player is Jaret Patterson.    I don't think I can do that until there's some kind of clarity on this situation.

So.... are we to assume MRI results were negative at this point?   WFT beat reporter, please report to aisle 1. 

I'm prepared for and would actually welcome him sitting out week 7.    I wouldn't even hate a 3-week stay on IR if there's a healthy Antonio Gibson on the other side of it.    I would think anything longer than that would indicate something came back bad on the MRI.

I don't have a DST at the moment and my most droppable bench player is Jaret Patterson. I don't think I can do that until there's some kind of clarity on this situation.
Yeah, I find myself kind of hoping he sits this week. In one league where I have him, if he sits I won't be tempted to start him, and can just go with Darrel Williams.

In another (non-PPR) league where I have McKissick, I'm debating between him and Mitchell for my bye-week fill-in. Gibson sitting would give some clarity to the situation. JD definitely saw an expanded role last year during the games Gibson was out.

Yeah, I find myself kind of hoping he sits this week. In one league where I have him, if he sits I won't be tempted to start him, and can just go with Darrel Williams.

In another (non-PPR) league where I have McKissick, I'm debating between him and Mitchell for my bye-week fill-in. Gibson sitting would give some clarity to the situation. JD definitely saw an expanded role last year during the games Gibson was out.
I hope he sits too.   McKissic would be more than adequate for me as my flex this week, with Leonard Fournette as my RB1 (who'da thought we'd be saying THAT???) and Damien Harris as my RB2 against the porous Jets run defense.   

Let him sit Week 8 and then the bye is Week 9.   

I know people have varying opinions on David Chao, aka ProFootballDoc, but FWIW I was listening to his podcast this week and he said with a stress fracture like Gibson's, a few weeks' rest doesn't really make much of a difference. In order to fully heal, he either needs extended rest (as in months) or else surgery, which also has a multi-month recovery time. In the meantime, the best we can hope for is that he can play through the pain, and that it doesn't get significantly worse

It's a lot like the toe injury last year in that it's not totally disabling and you can play through it... until you can't.  Soonest we'll see a 100% Gibson will be next year.  

I know people have varying opinions on David Chao, aka ProFootballDoc, but FWIW I was listening to his podcast this week and he said with a stress fracture like Gibson's, a few weeks' rest doesn't really make much of a difference. In order to fully heal, he either needs extended rest (as in months) or else surgery, which also has a multi-month recovery time. In the meantime, the best we can hope for is that he can play through the pain, and that it doesn't get significantly worse

Could see Gibson just being shut down if WASH keeps losing. Why bother slamming his shin in a car door over and over if they're out of it.

That said, I could see them being stupid until the bye week and playing him before they throw in the towel.

Could see Gibson just being shut down if WASH keeps losing. Why bother slamming his shin in a car door over and over if they're out of it.

That said, I could see them being stupid until the bye week and playing him before they throw in the towel.
Do they try to rike McK or would Washington think about a guy like Marlon Mack if the rumors of Watson to Mia for Tua are true?

Have someone tell Rivera and the WFT doctors that Gibson is to sit 6 weeks then.   Hopefully that's enough rest to get production during the fantasy playoffs.  His fantasy managers have championships to win.

**Looks like Jesse Morse / Fantasy Doctors gave a take on this, and he was definitely sounding the alarm on this situation, actually gave 6 weeks as the timetable to get things right.   Also, underlined the idea that AG's tibia bone is like a cracked egg right now and if he keeps playing through this and it gets to the point where the "egg breaks" this could spell really bad things for the rest of AG's career.   Definitely an alarmist take and I don't know how credible this guy is, but if the fracture is this bad, shut him down asap.   I would like to think that WFT doctors and coaches with the MRI image can make the right call here, but are we sure we can trust them to look past 2021?

Dr. Gene also chimed in on the waiver show.   Didn't go in to detail but was a lot less concerned than the above takes.  Still labeling the situation as day-to-day / week-to-week, thinking WFT is probably going to go easy on his workload in the coming weeks to get him to the bye. 

Have someone tell Rivera and the WFT doctors that Gibson is to sit 6 weeks then.   Hopefully that's enough rest to get production during the fantasy playoffs.  His fantasy managers have championships to win.
This isn't an injury that heals in a few weeks. You need a good month or two at least of non physical activity

It's interesting that they haven't put him on IR after his MRI. I thought for sure it was going to be announced that Gibson was going on IR yesterday.

This isn't an injury that heals in a few weeks. You need a good month or two at least of non physical activity

Is six weeks not a good month?  :)    FWIW, this was actually the timetable suggested by Jesse Morse / Fantasy Doctors, but I have no power rankings on internet fantasy football doctors to know who to trust more.   If the pain of the stress fracture is what caused him to exit the game, then I don't understand why it doesn't make sense to try 3 weeks and then be prepared to tack on another 3 weeks if it would be beneficial.

If after reviewing the MRI, and we can trust WFT not to completely bungle this kid's long term health, then maybe Dr. Gene has the better beat on this and maybe we're overreacting to a negative game script and what we saw from Gibson vs. KC.   I'm not going to lie, as a dynasty manager with another option in my starting lineup, I'm concerned that WFT is going to WFT. 

Is six weeks not a good month?  :)    FWIW, this was actually the timetable suggested by Jesse Morse / Fantasy Doctors, but I have no power rankings on internet fantasy football doctors to know who to trust more.   If the pain of the stress fracture is what caused him to exit the game, then I don't understand why it doesn't make sense to try 3 weeks and then be prepared to tack on another 3 weeks if it would be beneficial.

If after reviewing the MRI, and we can trust WFT not to completely bungle this kid's long term health, then maybe Dr. Gene has the better beat on this and maybe we're overreacting to a negative game script and what we saw from Gibson vs. KC.   I'm not going to lie, as a dynasty manager with another option in my starting lineup, I'm concerned that WFT is going to WFT. 
My fault I read that as sit week 6, my coffee had not kicked in yet. I could see them just shutting him down if it's 6 weeks though due to out of play off contention.

Antonio Gibson (shin) returned to practice Thursday.

It's either an improvement or coaching malpractice since Gibson has been limited with a fractured shin in back-to-back games. With Washington's bye week just around the corner in Week 9, it's still unclear if Gibson is healthy enough to finish any game without extended rest despite his limited participation in practice. J.D. McKissic should be rostered universally as logical preparation for the worst-case scenario.

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter

Oct 21, 2021, 12:13 PM ET

I have him in redraft and I honestly don't know what I want at this point. It doesn't sound like resting will really help all that much, other than lower his risk for a more serious injury ... until he plays again, at which point the risk will still be there. From a human perspective, I like the kid and would hate to see him get seriously injured. From a cynical fantasy perspective ... I mean, I'd obviously like to be able to start him, but games like last week where they limit his touches could make him unusable.

I have Jacobs and Darrel Williams and am thinking of just benching Gibson for the uncertainty.

Users who are viewing this thread