What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (1 Viewer)

Really? Gibson just ran for 8 and a 1st down so you try and pass? Yeah, thats what you deserve, a turnover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked to me like that Haskins fumble was on Gibson for not picking up the blitz in time. Hope I'm wrong because I'm starting him today but that's what I saw. 

But Haskins is KILLING this offense. He's not a franchise QB. They were right to draft Chase Young, but first round pick next year has to be a QB. He's going to kill Terry, Gibson, and pretty much anyone on this offense. I mean, today's pass crazy NFL and he's got less than 100 yards at the half. Pitiful.  :bag:

But Haskins is KILLING this offense. He's not a franchise QB. They were right to draft Chase Young, but first round pick next year has to be a QB. He's going to kill Terry, Gibson, and pretty much anyone on this offense. I mean, today's pass crazy NFL and he's got less than 100 yards at the half. Pitiful.  :bag:
9-16 for 66 yards, plus a lost fumble, and he’s taken 4 sacks.  Just a brutal stat line.

He is getting more touches, which is good. And he scored, which is good. Progress.

But he still isn't being used much in the passing game, which is kind of crazy when you think about it, given how most of us thought he was more a receiver than a running back. My guess is that they will use him more in the passing game as he learns the playbook better and gets more comfortable in pass protection.

He is getting more touches, which is good. And he scored, which is good. Progress.

But he still isn't being used much in the passing game, which is kind of crazy when you think about it, given how most of us thought he was more a receiver than a running back. My guess is that they will use him more in the passing game as he learns the playbook better and gets more comfortable in pass protection.
I am not one of these people who thought he was more of a receiver than a RB.

He was a WR in college and that is the position I evaluated him as. He needs to work on his footwork and timing and still has a ways to go as a receiver. The contrast example I used to make this point was comparing his skills as a WR to Van Jefferson and its night and day as far as which of the two is more technically sound and a better route runner.

I don't know who thought he was more of a WR than a RB. If I did I would have disagreed with them.

Antonio Gibson rushed 13 times for 55 yards and a touchdown in Washington's Week 2 loss to the Cardinals, adding a reception for -1 yard. 

Gibson led the Football Team in rushing attempts, averaging 4.2 yards per carry and getting goal line work on his way to his first pro touchdown. Washington ditched the run in the fourth quarter. Washington offensive coordinator Scott Turner talked last week about slowly integrating the rookie into the offense, and we saw another step for Gibson Sunday against Arizona. Fantasy players should be increasingly confident in deploying Gibson as a weekly flex play. He has an OK Week 3 matchup against the Browns. 

Sep 20, 2020, 7:28 PM ET

Much more involved. Got redzone/goal to go opportunities. Football Team offense still an enigma but Haskins terrible in 1st half twice now, but maybe growing? 

As a WAS fan it scares me to admit that I don’t see the burst and explosiveness out of Gibson I was expecting. He’s turned the corner and entered the secondary once or twice now and I kept expecting to see him really gear up and go, and it hasn’t happened yet. 

I have been surprised by the power and instincts he’s shown running between the tackles though, he looks like a “real” RB for lack of a better term and breaks arm tackles and drives his legs through contact very well for a guy with hardly any college RB experience. I just want to see that burst and breakaway ability, it’s missing so far.

I’m starting to think they just kinda acquiesced to people’s assumptions that they’d use him as a gadgety, movement “offensive weapon” because...why tell people your plans? Seems obvious to me that they just see him as a traditional RB (and I’m sure there’s room to grow into the passing down role in the future as well, I don’t mean that he’s just a two down banger or anything) and just didn’t give a #### that he only has 77 total touches in his entire college career. They never intended to use him in any sort of tricky way it seems, or to have special WR packages or anything like that...they just consider him a low mileage RB talent. If they improve the OL next offseason that could have more value than what people were projecting his role to be anyways.

As a WAS fan it scares me to admit that I don’t see the burst and explosiveness out of Gibson I was expecting. He’s turned the corner and entered the secondary once or twice now and I kept expecting to see him really gear up and go, and it hasn’t happened yet. 

I have been surprised by the power and instincts he’s shown running between the tackles though, he looks like a “real” RB for lack of a better term and breaks arm tackles and drives his legs through contact very well for a guy with hardly any college RB experience. I just want to see that burst and breakaway ability, it’s missing so far.

I’m starting to think they just kinda acquiesced to people’s assumptions that they’d use him as a gadgety, movement “offensive weapon” because...why tell people your plans? Seems obvious to me that they just see him as a traditional RB (and I’m sure there’s room to grow into the passing down role in the future as well, I don’t mean that he’s just a two down banger or anything) and just didn’t give a #### that he only has 77 total touches in his entire college career. They never intended to use him in any sort of tricky way it seems, or to have special WR packages or anything like that...they just consider him a low mileage RB talent. If they improve the OL next offseason that could have more value than what people were projecting his role to be anyways.
I wouldn't under estimate how much it slows you down when you are busy thinking about what you are doing instead of just doing it.  

This guy is not only learning how to play in the NFL,  he's still learning how to play RB.  And with minimal offseason work to help. Could be a while before we truly see what he can do. 

I wouldn't under estimate how much it slows you down when you are busy thinking about what you are doing instead of just doing it.  

This guy is not only learning how to play in the NFL,  he's still learning how to play RB.  And with minimal offseason work to help. Could be a while before we truly see what he can do. 
It’s definitely possible, though I wouldn’t expect simple burst once he breaks into the open field to be one of those things that is inhibited by too much thinking, and he seems like a pretty instinctive runner.

It’s definitely possible, though I wouldn’t expect simple burst once he breaks into the open field to be one of those things that is inhibited by too much thinking, and he seems like a pretty instinctive runner.
I agree about the burst.  I don't see it yet.

I've watched both games. He looks okay, but you'd like to see him hit the hole harder, IMHO. I guess it depends on where and if there is a hole, but he seems like he's about to be tackled in the backfield an awful lot.

That said, dynasty owners that got him at non-inflated rates are giddy right now with their late second/early third pick. He and Josh Kelley have surprised people with the volume they've gotten from their respective teams. Bargain bonanza for both!

I agree about the burst.  I don't see it yet
I also agree that he hasn't looked like his top timed speed on the field, but I can't recall him ever getting behind the S with nothing but field ahead of him.  

He's cutting and slashing and bowling through tackles.  Looks the part to me.

I think this is among the most realistic/accurate posts in here: he’s not great, but he’s the best RB Washington has. 

I wish I could see what Love can do, but I guess he’s not healthy enough to play? 

Yeah, that seems like a fair and balanced take overall.  Logical and unemotional.  We probably need more of that in this thread.

It’s also worth noting that without that long run, he still would have had a higher ypc than Peyton Barber, who is really his only competition until Bryce Love is healthy.
As far as I can tell in everything I have read Love is a healthy scratch.  It is not an injury issue causing him to be inactive

Gally said:
As far as I can tell in everything I have read Love is a healthy scratch.  It is not an injury issue causing him to be inactive
Huh.  I’ve read a bunch of articles suggesting that he’s not fully regained his explosiveness yet, and that they are holding him out until he’s “back to normal.”

Huh.  I’ve read a bunch of articles suggesting that he’s not fully regained his explosiveness yet, and that they are holding him out until he’s “back to normal.”
There is a difference between not regaining their explosiveness and not being healthy.  Injuries take their tole.  He can be 100% healthy and just never back to what he was.  I think that is the situation here.  Isn't he almost 2 years removed from the injury?

There is a difference between not regaining their explosiveness and not being healthy.  Injuries take their tole.  He can be 100% healthy and just never back to what he was.  I think that is the situation here.  Isn't he almost 2 years removed from the injury?
I agree with everything you wrote.  Not sure which it is - will he get “back to normal” or his this his “new normal?”  I don’t know, but the articles I’ve read suggest they are hoping he still improves more.  Time will tell.

For anyone thinking that Gibson has a 'soft touch' this week up against the Browns, word of caution.

Browns D is bad but their run-D is ranked 3rd in the NFL after two weeks.  

Antonio could have tough sledding this week.

I'm not saying that their run D isn't good (frankly I have no idea) but that ranking after two games where they were lit up through the air doesn't mean much.
I've been watching.

Their run-D has looked good.  DTs play is 'much better' than expected.

The LB play is awful, the secondary specifically the S play is atrocious but somehow the run-D has looked good outside of Lamar Jackson scrambles they shut down RBs and they've faced some really good RBs in the first two games.

I've been watching.

Their run-D has looked good.  DTs play is 'much better' than expected.

The LB play is awful, the secondary specifically the S play is atrocious but somehow the run-D has looked good outside of Lamar Jackson scrambles they shut down RBs and they've faced some really good RBs in the first two games.
I don't think they shut down Mixon - I think his coach did. Once again they may turn out to be great but right now I'm really not so sure and stats can deceiving when the other team is throwing the ball 61 times.

They need to get him more involved in the short passing game.  4 targets through 2 games is disappointing.
This!!!!!

Week 1 they took the lead, so it made sense.  Last week...wth????   I've been pretty surprised w the lack of usage in the flat.   Should be Haskins best friend.  Need to see him running some wheel routes too.  

🎥   LINK Video

Davis Mattek@DavisMattek

The All-22 of every Antonio Gibson touch from his rookie debut against the Eagles
The week 1 highlights are not something I'm worried about. @Bracie Smathers post summed up what I saw, as well. There is only 1 play that isn't 8 in the box and it's because it was a 3 wide set so and the Eagles were man up with a single high safety. More than half those plays had a defender in the backfield immediately.

I can't find a similar video with all week 2 touches but there's plenty in this video to keep my optimism high. That run where he beats Hicks in the backfield, then Jones, then Baker is insane. 

Users who are viewing this thread