What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Zach Mettenberger (2 Viewers)

Been awhile.

Guess his ACL must be feeling good because Zach not only wants to start, he wants to start the opener.

http://www.titansgab.com/2014/07/01/zach-mettenberger-wants-to-be-in-the-mix-to-be-week-1-starter/

Zach Mettenberger Wants To Be In The Mix To Be Week 1 StarterJuly 1st, 2014

Zach Mettenberger slid to the sixth round of the draft due to his ACL injury and concerns about a lack of production in big games at the college level.

Mettenberger told SiriusXM NFL Radio he plans on fighting for the Titans starting job from the beginning, Kevin Patra of NFL.com reports.

“If I was drafted and Jake Locker is the vet, I’m coming for his job from Day 1,” Mettenberger said. “That’s my attitude. If I don’t win the job, I’m pushing, in this scenario, pushing Mark to be the best guy for the job. I’m going to make Jake work that much harder, make Charlie (Whitehurst) work that much harder, ’cause I’m coming every day. And I’m bringing my best effort and my hardest work to the facility every day to show that I shot be the guy playing.”

“I think that’s the approach any guy worth his salt has,” Mettenberger said. “You’re not only thinking about the short team, but you also have a long-term view of yourself as a player and a person. We don’t play this game to ride the bench, you don’t play this game to just get a paycheck — at least the good ones don’t. You play this game because you love it, you love competing, and you wanna play. That’s what I’m doing.”

“I’m trying to do whatever Coach (Ken) Whisenhunt asks of me, trying to show that I play mistake-free football and can lead long drives,” Mettenberger said. “That’s all I can control. And if my time comes this year, next year, four years, it doesn’t matter. When that opportunity comes, I have to take advantage of it, and be patient until that time comes.”
Cool. I want to start for the Titans too.

Seriously, there's a reason he was the 10th QB taken, in the 6th. But his attitude is the right one to have.

Been awhile.

Guess his ACL must be feeling good because Zach not only wants to start, he wants to start the opener.

http://www.titansgab.com/2014/07/01/zach-mettenberger-wants-to-be-in-the-mix-to-be-week-1-starter/

Zach Mettenberger Wants To Be In The Mix To Be Week 1 StarterJuly 1st, 2014

Zach Mettenberger slid to the sixth round of the draft due to his ACL injury and concerns about a lack of production in big games at the college level.

Mettenberger told SiriusXM NFL Radio he plans on fighting for the Titans starting job from the beginning, Kevin Patra of NFL.com reports.

“If I was drafted and Jake Locker is the vet, I’m coming for his job from Day 1,” Mettenberger said. “That’s my attitude. If I don’t win the job, I’m pushing, in this scenario, pushing Mark to be the best guy for the job. I’m going to make Jake work that much harder, make Charlie (Whitehurst) work that much harder, ’cause I’m coming every day. And I’m bringing my best effort and my hardest work to the facility every day to show that I shot be the guy playing.”

“I think that’s the approach any guy worth his salt has,” Mettenberger said. “You’re not only thinking about the short team, but you also have a long-term view of yourself as a player and a person. We don’t play this game to ride the bench, you don’t play this game to just get a paycheck — at least the good ones don’t. You play this game because you love it, you love competing, and you wanna play. That’s what I’m doing.”

“I’m trying to do whatever Coach (Ken) Whisenhunt asks of me, trying to show that I play mistake-free football and can lead long drives,” Mettenberger said. “That’s all I can control. And if my time comes this year, next year, four years, it doesn’t matter. When that opportunity comes, I have to take advantage of it, and be patient until that time comes.”
Cool. I want to start for the Titans too.

Seriously, there's a reason he was the 10th QB taken, in the 6th. But his attitude is the right one to have.
Absolutely.

He will be handed nothing, if he can take something it will be through injury or having earned it.

Not a big fan, but like the attitude. Hopefully he can keep his head from creeping back up his backside again.

Rotoworld:

Zach Mettenberger - QB - Titans

The Nashville Tennessean considers sixth-round rookie Zach Mettenberger "no threat" to Jake Locker's job.

Mettenberger is on the record as believing he's competing for the Titans' starting job, but it's not going to happen in camp. Even if Locker struggles with injury or ineffectiveness early in the season, there's no guarantee Mettenberger would jump clipboard holder/mascot Charlie Whitehurst. Mettenberger's primary job is to develop.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Jul 7 - 5:54 PM

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/4/9/5599270/oakland-raiders-coaching-staff-on-hand-to-watch-zach-mettenbergers-pro-day

Here's a very different account of Mett's pro day, and it's not nearly as positive as the links up top. Some insiders say he's a product of Cameron's system. Also there's this:

Mettenberger has some off-field concerns after pleading guilty to two counts of sexual battery (not rape) his freshmen year at Georgia. Mettenberger was removed from the team afterwards, and spent a year at Butler Community College before transferring to LSU. http://thevikingage.com/2014/04/07/vikings-meet-zach-mettenberger/
Im not in agreement with the Cam product argument.. Zach was quite successful @ Butler 11-1 (Only four picks) However I do appreciate the Info, which may explain his lack of hype?

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/4/9/5599270/oakland-raiders-coaching-staff-on-hand-to-watch-zach-mettenbergers-pro-day

Here's a very different account of Mett's pro day, and it's not nearly as positive as the links up top. Some insiders say he's a product of Cameron's system. Also there's this:

Mettenberger has some off-field concerns after pleading guilty to two counts of sexual battery (not rape) his freshmen year at Georgia. Mettenberger was removed from the team afterwards, and spent a year at Butler Community College before transferring to LSU. http://thevikingage.com/2014/04/07/vikings-meet-zach-mettenberger/
Im not in agreement with the Cam product argument.. Zach was quite successful @ Butler 11-1 (Only four picks) However I do appreciate the Info, which may explain his lack of hype?
Yeah, I think it's oversimple to say that Mettenberger was merely a product of Cameron's system but it definitely factors into evaluating him. You have to take Cameron into account; there are no two ways about that. He was the first legitimate OC at LSU for several years and everything about our offense transformed under him. In 2013 we had the 32nd-ranked offense in the nation (42nd in passing, 30th in rushing), rankings we would have killed for prior to Cameron. In 2012 we absolutely sucked on offense, and the rankings don't even sufficiently capture just how bad we were: 77th overall, 46th in rushing, 90th in passing. Our passing game wasn't anything close to legitimate until late in the 2012 season (when Mettenberger provided a preview of 2013 against Alabama).

On the other hand, Mettenberger was a 4-star prospect coming out of HS and expectations were always high for him, both when he was (briefly) at UGA and when he signed with LSU. Several guys who were top but underperforming prospects--like Mettenberger, Beckham, and Landry--were clearly helped by Cameron in 2013, but I also think it's possible they matured and played their best football around the same time.

My main concern with him is a Ryan-Mallett-type profile, as he is similarly a tall QB with a big arm, but also a statue in the pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree.

5 passes is too small to make such an evaluation.

Right now, he is what the Titans need (and what the fans need) to move forward. There is a wimpy batch of QBing going on whether it's Locker or Whitehurst and they won't take a NORMAL risk that is normally very much part of the game.

Wright and Hunter had almost as many targets in just his brief garbage time, then the whole rest of the game.

At this point, oh so many fans are noticing Wright and Hunter open and not getting passes. I don't know what Locker's deal is but he's a wimp and won't make a normal throw. Last year it was short dink n dunk passes to Wright and Nate. This year it's short to the TE and RB. Cmon!

We have not seen either the coach's or the OC's supposed offensive prowess. We've seen some garbage from the 1960s type offense.

If you take away the balls thrown 3 feet or more away from Walker and Hunter, their targets would be soooo small.

This is also a tough group of hard working men that mirrored their previous coach. They went down fighting and looked tired after losses. The last two games they look totally dejected and hopeless. There's serious frustration. He's gotta figure out how to throw them a bone. Blitz Michael Griffin, challenge the OL that they're gonna run 10 times in a row....i don't know what it is but he's gotta keep the spirits up of the one's working and playing well. He loses that, they're 1-15 and losing a lot of free agents. He didn't have the best team to build upon, but he some excellent parts. Check out titansonline for interviews after the games. Casey is still fired up and doing well and his attitude is good. The rest are concerning.

Again, this is a coach that preached over and over that they could and would win now.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggested on NFL Live Monday that the Titans might turn to rookie Zach Mettenberger "pretty soon."

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said something similar on NFL Insiders. Having dropped four straight games, the Titans are fast falling out of a playoff picture they never had a chance to enter, and may as well start playing their young pups. Contract-year starter Jake Locker can't stay healthy, and Checkdown Charlie Whitehurst is a 32-year-old career journeyman backup. Sixth-round rookie Mettenberger has a big arm and led the NFL in preseason passing yards.

Oct 6 - 4:17 PM

Cameron's is a pro system. I took this (not yours, original report) as horespucky. Some draft folks will give huge credit to a college QB playing a pro system and then other times they use it against him.

My thinking is he had some success little extra credit for pro system.

I think this right here saves Whisenhunt's job.

I am already thinking he should be fired.

Charlie "my boy" Whitehurst was not helping him any.

Generally, young QB and lots of losses is grrr acceptable in the NFL.

The penalties are so very high. The disorganization, stagnant O, there's so much building up quick to fire this guy.

On defense, they've been terrible but I see a DC scheming and trying. You don't go from 3-4 to 4-3, to 8 DBs, to 8 down linemen to 6 n 5 as often as they do and not be well coached.

Give me that on offense and I'd be happy even with losses.

This DC if he became interim coach, they'd probably have 4 wide, 5 wide, break out the option, I formation, 3 TEs, Wright in backfield with a direct snap maybe, Sankey in the slot....fail trying, fail being creative, not throwing 50 screen passes and 4 yard crossing routes.

Mettenberger is probably going to hit Hunter deep, maybe Wright breaks one and there's that word hope. They averaged 5-6 per carry in the first when the Browns couldn't stop the pass and their line was beastly on some runs. If his gun can give the RBs some room they might even win a game.

He led the NFL in passing in preseason. Generally that just means he was a third stringer. Still, in an abysmal season people will attach to that stat and bring it up if he even has a decent game-hope

Only thing Whisenhunt has left to do is prepare him and explain to Charlie no hope Whitehurst. Hope is the whole difference here and why he'll probably keep his job if he goes with Mettenberger

I think this right here saves Whisenhunt's job.

I am already thinking he should be fired.

Charlie "my boy" Whitehurst was not helping him any.

Generally, young QB and lots of losses is grrr acceptable in the NFL.

The penalties are so very high. The disorganization, stagnant O, there's so much building up quick to fire this guy.

On defense, they've been terrible but I see a DC scheming and trying. You don't go from 3-4 to 4-3, to 8 DBs, to 8 down linemen to 6 n 5 as often as they do and not be well coached.

Give me that on offense and I'd be happy even with losses.

This DC if he became interim coach, they'd probably have 4 wide, 5 wide, break out the option, I formation, 3 TEs, Wright in backfield with a direct snap maybe, Sankey in the slot....fail trying, fail being creative, not throwing 50 screen passes and 4 yard crossing routes.

Mettenberger is probably going to hit Hunter deep, maybe Wright breaks one and there's that word hope. They averaged 5-6 per carry in the first when the Browns couldn't stop the pass and their line was beastly on some runs. If his gun can give the RBs some room they might even win a game.

He led the NFL in passing in preseason. Generally that just means he was a third stringer. Still, in an abysmal season people will attach to that stat and bring it up if he even has a decent game-hope

Only thing Whisenhunt has left to do is prepare him and explain to Charlie no hope Whitehurst. Hope is the whole difference here and why he'll probably keep his job if he goes with Mettenberger
Mett w/ Hunter will work I think. And I believe Mett will be good, maybe he can change things.

It seems to me they have a terrific WR corps, a good pass catching back in Dex, Sakey, and Del Walker. I don't know much about the line but that seemed like it was in very good hands for years under Munchak and Fisher.

Locker just never works out. And for whatever reason this often always seems like the most boring, vanilla, blah offense in the league, year after year.

locker was killin it against the browns. in the first quarter he ran for a td and threw for one and then led his team all the way down the field but whitehurst finished it off.

bumping this- Whitehurst did do OK last week.

Mettenberger didn't take but "a few" 1st team reps as he's done since day one. He spends his days running the scout team. Whisenhunt does NOT seem inclined to give Zach practice time with the 1s so he's further away from starting than some of us might have thought

Rotoworld take:

The Nashville Tennessean reports the Titans will start sixth-round rookie Zach Mettenberger at quarterback in Week 8 against the Texans.

Having already lost hope for the 2014 season, the Titans will start playing their pups. Injury-prone, contract-year quarterback Jake Locker has been formally demoted. It's believed Mettenberger was informed of coach Ken Whisenhunt's decision to start him on Tuesday night, which perhaps explains why none of Tennessee's quarterbacks were allowed to speak with the media on Wednesday. A strong-armed LSU product albeit with zero mobility, Mettenberger will make his first NFL start against J.J. Watt's Texans in a home game. With Jadeveon Clowney (knee) tentatively due back this week, the Houston defense is worth a look as a Week 8 streamer.

Oct 22 - 10:40 PM
Mettenberger draws J.J. Watt and possibly Clowney in his first NFL start? Welcome to the NFL, rookie!

wow. throwing in the towel on Locker. i'm sure it's frustrating as heck he's always hurt but seems a little premature to me.

ETA: i suppose it's not clear that Locker is completely healthy and whether or not that would make a difference.

It's not premature. Whiz doesn't like Locker and never has. They likely want to know what they have in Mettenberger before next years draft. Whitehurst is pathetic.

Mett has a huge arm. I think it's good news for Justin Hunter.

Locker had moments of brilliance but was just too inaccurate for an NFL qb and simply couldn't stay healthy.

Rotoworld take:

The Nashville Tennessean reports the Titans will start sixth-round rookie Zach Mettenberger at quarterback in Week 8 against the Texans.

Having already lost hope for the 2014 season, the Titans will start playing their pups. Injury-prone, contract-year quarterback Jake Locker has been formally demoted. It's believed Mettenberger was informed of coach Ken Whisenhunt's decision to start him on Tuesday night, which perhaps explains why none of Tennessee's quarterbacks were allowed to speak with the media on Wednesday. A strong-armed LSU product albeit with zero mobility, Mettenberger will make his first NFL start against J.J. Watt's Texans in a home game. With Jadeveon Clowney (knee) tentatively due back this week, the Houston defense is worth a look as a Week 8 streamer.

Oct 22 - 10:40 PM
Mettenberger draws J.J. Watt and possibly Clowney in his first NFL start? Welcome to the NFL, rookie!
We'll see if he picked up any footwork tips from Sankey while he's running for his life.

I own hou d. First clowney coming back, now this. Kinda happy with this news ... unless there is something I should

know about this kid.

I'm excited here.

Last week Whisenhunt seemed so disinterested in this when he discussed him running the scout team, that I was kind of bummed. It's on titansonline, no way you get Mett starting from that interview.

I'm curious if the owner made this call and/or pushed his buttons. Like I've said, they signed an offensive guru and this O is terrible. Throwing 3 passes to the WRs in a half isn't even trying.

I think this is the only way Whisenhunt keeps his job

I think any owners of Wright and Hunter have to be pretty excited by this news.

That said, I wouldn't want to be in the position of having to start one of them this Sunday.

I think any owners of Wright and Hunter have to be pretty excited by this news.

That said, I wouldn't want to be in the position of having to start one of them this Sunday.
Own one or the other in every league I'm in. I'd be a whole lot more excited if Locker could stay healthy and perform to his potential.

As a Titans fan I'm fairly convinced that their future starting QB isn't on the team.

I'm excited here.

Last week Whisenhunt seemed so disinterested in this when he discussed him running the scout team, that I was kind of bummed. It's on titansonline, no way you get Mett starting from that interview.

I'm curious if the owner made this call and/or pushed his buttons. Like I've said, they signed an offensive guru and this O is terrible. Throwing 3 passes to the WRs in a half isn't even trying.

I think this is the only way Whisenhunt keeps his job
He's not going to get fired after his first season.

Waiting on Locker quotes, see if any QB gurus out there think they can fix him. Benching is awful close to trade deadline and they just gave up a former 2nd round LBer to move up a few spots in round 6

Any homers have insight on the O-Line? I read Mett is a pocket passer, is the kid going to have anytime to throw? As far as fantasy, anytime I see a rookie or crappy back up playing, my rule of thumb is to start teams TE. Look for Walker to benefit here.

Drafted him in a 2QB dynasty where I have Locker. Thankfully this Charlie Whitehurst nonsense seems to be over.

Any homers have insight on the O-Line? I read Mett is a pocket passer, is the kid going to have anytime to throw? As far as fantasy, anytime I see a rookie or crappy back up playing, my rule of thumb is to start teams TE. Look for Walker to benefit here.
The Titans have almost always had a good to great OL. This year has been an adjustment though. Levitre has played poorly but his response was to put more work in and has been good lately. I don't like Oher at RT. I wished the rook just went there, except he is now the starting LT. He is different. He runs a lot for a T and isn't the typical human wall type, he's always moving his feet. They've done pretty well this year, I think I'd grade them good. They have an awesome blocking TE who has been hurt some, but he sure makes up for any deficiencies. I expect Mett to get clocked when someone goes right past Oher and then Stevens to settle that the next play. Walker should still see plenty of targets. He was doing a Gates impersonation a few weeks back, Stevens' blocking won't take him out of the offense.

Whitehurst and Locker had a very reasonable amount of time. Enough for fans to complain they noticed Hunter or Wright wide open.

Mettenberger played a real little bit to close a game and he looked super nervous. It might be good he got that out of his system. He might start off nervous again.

Everyone seems to say he makes poor decisions and always has. This switch has to be about putting up some points, moving the ball, running an O that doesn't look like it was created in 1960.

I expect some INTs but high yardage. I'd guess he's a meh NFL QB this year, but good for some FF leagues.

The Titans have had Young, Fitz, Locker, and Whitehurst. He's gonna look great to some Titans fans while maybe just decent to the rest of the world. Its hard to explain ducks, and throws at feet or way over their head and how over time that demoralizes a team and it's fan base

I think Mett will be good and will help the receivers, especially Hunter and don't be surprised if he emerges. Mettenberger was a solid QB at LSU and he looked good in the preseason game in the Dome. I don't know why he fell so much in the draft, if anything besides the knee injury, but he was coached up by OC Cam Cameron.

I am not sure what Whisenhunt is thinking. I couldn't imagine a worst defensive to lineup against for a rookie QB - especially for a rookie QB that has limited mobility and prone to injury.

If you're in a 2QB league, then it's conceivable he could matter in Fantasy.

Here is TEN's (almost surreal) Week 14-16 Fantasy playoffs schedule: NYG, NYJ, @JAX

I am not sure what Whisenhunt is thinking. I couldn't imagine a worst defensive to lineup against for a rookie QB - especially for a rookie QB that has limited mobility and prone to injury.
I totally don't think it was his decision. Read or watch the videos at titansonline check out the best reporters(Titans have some gems) and let me know if you think so.

As far as Ds, he said something along the lines of wait til after the bye and face the Ravens? Doesn't make much difference

I can't wait for tomorrow.

I am very much not a Whisenhunt fan this year but if Mett can throw it to Hunter and put the onus on him, if the RBs don't drive the legs like he wants and Antonio plays...I'm going to really appreciate some of these changes.

Some of his fans are pointing out he threw Battle a bone, then he threw Krug a bone. I do appreciate that-it's Munchak/Fisher like and I wouldn't mind if every hard worker got to play offense or got to get a single carry. Cowher might have even done that too, I don't recall. Regardless, I like any coach doing that.

I'm over ready to see a well designed offense-I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon, but Whisenhunt thus far hasn't done much as a Titans coach.

It'd sure be a nice start to have less than a million penalties this week

Users who are viewing this thread