What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Zach Mettenberger (2 Viewers)

Somewhat surprised. I thought he showed enough to develop in a back up role if not starter when he played and being where he was drafted had to be cheap enough.
Yeah, I wanted the Chargers to draft this guy when he came out. If he already has some familiarity with the offense I hope the bring him in as the #2(33yo Clemens is just taking up space on a team HOPING to get back to .500) and let Renner/Bercovici battle it out for #3.

Are we even sure Mett wouldn't be the best option to start week#1 if he was a Jet?

Yeah, I wanted the Chargers to draft this guy when he came out. If he already has some familiarity with the offense I hope the bring him in as the #2(33yo Clemens is just taking up space on a team HOPING to get back to .500) and let Renner/Bercovici battle it out for #3.

Are we even sure Mett wouldn't be the best option to start week#1 if he was a Jet?
I am not sure I am not the best option for the Jets at this point.

Bri said:
Mett is very personable. I like his flawed personality, honesty. He was a goof taking selfies, Watt called him on it, they talked some smack, Mett "ate it" and said so. Never claimed to play better than he did, always what he could improve. A lot of people thought he talked too much or tweeted or facebook or whatever but in this day N age, that's normal or will be any day now.

He was called a statue by one draft writer and everyone ran with it. He moved fine. He's not an athletic QB but fine for a normal one. That wasn't it. Randall Cunningham wouldn't get away from the pass rush Mett faced.

He's got a great arm. He's a lot like Jeff George. Wonderful range to throw all over the field, looks fantastic, and then what was with that throw? What were you thinking? He has no fear his passes will be intercepted, like George and that can be oh so costly. Most NFL QBs like that get cut- George and Favre had careers.

I think the Giants would be the perfect place for him. Being ODBs friend and a WR he has a rapport with (that's the Giants passing offense right there) he can get comfy. I'm not sure how their line will do without their OL coach of the past decade but they drafted plenty and should be OK. Eli was full of bad decisions as a rook. I've never really noticed a young guy he can take under his wing. It's probably time. Mett has always rocked in preseason, I think he was the top passer in 2015 preseason. Let him do that and sit N learn.

He did great against the Browns-put up like 28 points in a half. It was also the last sight of Hunter's supreme athleticism as he had a 100 yard day despite being covered by Haden. Rest of the time Hunter just looks like a guy.

He really flashed several times his rookie year so there was a bunch of Titans fans that didn't want a QB with the #2 pick. He led the private type get together offseason activites and those that thought this way were fine with it all. It took like a week for Mariota to win everyone over and have people saying Mett who.

The first inkling Mett could be cut was last summer when youtube star Alex Tanney was looking real good. Tanney can really sling it too and with Mariota the definitive starter one reporter suggested he'd be a better student, more amicable as a backup whereas (months before, day of draft, horrible context) Mett said Mariota would have to win the starting spot from him. Tanney went on the PS and then to the Colts. He was re-signed by the Titans in the early offseason IIRC.

I don't think Cassel is any good. I've always wondered why the Patriots did- the franchise that is always right on players just seemed so off here. He's the veteran backup tho and I don't think Mett is a 3rd QB kind of guy. Tanney is. Mett needs a chance to play or the air of a chance to play with like some old guy in front of him. 

I don't see the SD move. Their line stinks too and Rivers is so methodical. It's not Mett's style at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Horton recommended him to Hue. I wouldn't say he can beat out RG3 but I wouldn't be surprised if he did either. 

I assume Elway is watching the QB waiver wire so I'd like to hear his thoughts on Mett. 

Not a Geno fan at all, with Fitz not signed, Mett would be perfect in NYJ for a week. Fitz will sign and then he'll have no place so I sure hope he doesn't go there.

I hope he can go somewhere and battle- either win the starting spot or lose and be a backup with a chance of playing.
Yo he was released by the Titans.  Might be time to reevaluate your opinion.

Bears_Man2 said:
he was waived for an undrafted player signed from a rookie minicamp tryout. 
That's not wholly it. It's not that simple.

New GM did not do a house-cleaning as is customary. He planned to trade what he could and let the rest play out this summer. The draft came and went and no one was traded.

PK wrote, he was worth a 2nd round pick (he had some chart to show it) early in 2015 and they couldn't even fetch a 7th for him this year.

Like I wrote before, if Cassell is a veteran backup, Mett is better suited elsewhere. Tanney is fine as the developmental guy.

You have rookie tryouts and if ya like someone, ya sign them but the roster also goes from 53 to like 90. They did waive Mett but signed four or five guys. We're not at a limiting time where ya cut one, add another.

It's much nicer more comfy to have the traditional starter, veteran backup, project QB roster than to have him around hoping to start n all. He was a bit bitter about Mariota and publicly kept quiet on it. When he spoke it was spitting out classic lines and ...not sure if he ever stopped being bitter or not. 

It was time.

I heard 20 LBs or 20 DBs the other day. Their roster is going to change some in the coming months. He got stuck with no teams wanting to deal or liking his offers. 

PK got called on the 7th round line- there's nothing to it. He's guessing. It could be some team offered a fourth, Robinson said no and they called his bluff. 1045 will get Robinson on the air, we'll hear how it truly played out. They're not shy discussing backups. The way no one jumped on any of Robinson's trades I lean toward this is on him.

Yeah because as the worst team in football, they're highly regarded for good decisions
They may be the worst team in football but I'm going to go out on a limb and say whoever made that decision had a lot more evidence to make that decision than you do.

They may be the worst team in football but I'm going to go out on a limb and say whoever made that decision had a lot more evidence to make that decision than you do.
You don't ever question any front office decision?  How boring.

Absolutely

But like I said, we're witnessing something somewhat new or different in the current NFL era-a GM that doesn't come in and clean house.

It's also very difficult when you notice no young player except Mariota improved under Whis. Do you cut every player with two years or less experience? The previous staff was very poor and some of player evaluation is just "gut calls." 

Take Kendall Wright. 3 years ago, you'd probably say what a bright future-94 catches and 1079 yards in his second year. He has about that total for the next two years combined though. Kendall makes 7 mil yet he only had 36 catches for 408 yards last year. 

UDFA G Quenton Spain came into a horrible line and got six starts allowing just a half sack, BUT many on the staff say he needs to be replaced.

It's not always cut N dry.

Arguably no one has given a better effort the last two years than Antonio Andrews. It might be possible to find a quote from every coach about his hustle. Not expected to make the team, UDFA performs best in preseason, sits on PS and then KR. Next year out works everyone again, improved a bunch, wins starting spot. There is alot to like there- a lot that a coach or GM want to influence the other players and have them craving similar opportunity with similar effort. PS RB Fluellen has done just that. Still they didn't run the ball that well so they have landed two excellent RBs on paper.

He doesn't have an easy job and I really appreciate him being calculated about it and taking his time. He's going to be wrong, he's going to be right, but I'm very thankful it's not a knee jerk reaction like we're accustomed to in the NFL. 

Third time- I do not think Mett really had a place on the team once Tanney improved and Cassell was signed. (And again, the Patriots people think Cassell is better than the rest of the NFL evaluate Cassell as being) They have a classic QB set. What do they need an up N comer for? Why would they need a young guy that hopes to replace Mariota? Most of the time, ya like competition in camp-not always true with QBs as they breed controversy. It's nice and simple now with everyone in their place. With Mett, it was not. 

I think Mett was the 2nd most obvious move(Zach Brown) that everyone could predict was coming. 

Some believe Hunter and Sankey were also shopped on draft day. Assuming they were, it's hard to believe there's not one coach still enamored with their athleticism.It's been widely reported that they tried and failed to trade Mett. If you think potential teams, most of them are near the top of the WW order. That's a nice spot to be in to call someone's bluff. Why give up a pick if you can get him free eventually? If Sankey or Hunter is true- same thing- why give up anything when you noticed they drafted a RB and WR?

Assuming all this is true, I think if Robinson could do it again he'd put high effort into trading before the draft. Again though, we're going to have to wait to hear Robinson's interview and hopefully he's openly discussing things

Greg Cossell link provided above DOES show a favorable review of Mett.

Don't forget we are talking about Mike Mularkey. It's not like he had a huge list of fans like Parcells or Gibbs or BB. The QB coach- he was fired as OC then re-hired as QB coach and did not take part in all the offseason visits as he did the prior two years. Difficult to say they value his opinion

Take Kendall Wright. 3 years ago, you'd probably say what a bright future-94 catches and 1079 yards in his second year. He has about that total for the next two years combined though. Kendall makes 7 mil yet he only had 36 catches for 408 yards last year. 
Incorrect.

Incorrect.
Maybe you didn't, but I sure did. And still do.

It's also very difficult when you notice no young player except Mariota improved under Whis. Do you cut every player with two years or less experience? The previous staff was very poor and some of player evaluation is just "gut calls." 
frankly, MM didn't improve under Whis.  His first six games were better than his second six.

Chargers claimed QB Zach Mettenberger off waivers from the Titans.
"Mett Show" will be reuniting with Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt, who was the Titans' coach the first 1.5 years of Mettenberger's career. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to call this the-Matt-Millen-argument. He played the game. He has a team of pro scouts/coaches helping him. He actually knows the players. He was paid more money than I ever will to make these decisions. How can anyone on a message board think they could possibly make better decisions than Matt Millen?!

Interesting article.

One minute they seem to be saying Mett will be a flop based on being drafted in the sixth round, and holds up his record with no context with concern to the less than stellar surrounding cast. It's next to impossible for a sixth rounder to make an impact or really even contribute. Ok.

The next minute it brings up the fact he's being replaced by Matt Cassel. He's a guy that has won 10 games as a starter with two different franchises, leading one of those teams to the playoffs. Ummmmmm, wasn't Cassel a 7th rounder?

BoltBacker said:
I like to call this the-Matt-Millen-argument. He played the game. He has a team of pro scouts/coaches helping him. He actually knows the players. He was paid more money than I ever will to make these decisions. How can anyone on a message board think they could possibly make better decisions than Matt Millen?!
Also, does Whis or Mularkey make better decisions? Isn't that a loaded Q?

That trade rumor last year (that had some legs) did involve Mett going to SD and Rivers to TEN

I think Robinson just made a bunch of Titans fans happy as a "good guy" saying it's being fair to Zach.

He's been a very interesting GM already, more cerebral than most or maybe it's just how he talks/presents his moves

I'd have loved the Lions to take Mett and not have bothered taking Rudock in the draft. Really liked what I saw from him in 2014 and think he could develop into a decent starter in the future. 

I think Robinson just made a bunch of Titans fans happy as a "good guy" saying it's being fair to Zach.

He's been a very interesting GM already, more cerebral than most or maybe it's just how he talks/presents his moves
It could also be a move in fostering a relationship with an agent. If Mett wasn't in his plans anyway he really is doing Mett a big favor releasing him now.

Honestly, having a savvy vet overachiever as the backup to Mariota seems like a good move for TEN.

Getting a younger, strong armed backup that will likely benefit from learning pre-snap reads from Rivers makes a lot of sense for SD.

If Robinson ends up doing a favor for an agent, it's kind of a win-win-win all the way around.

Waived by chargers.

Not a great sign whiz giving up too. Prob will get one more chance but not great being waived twice in a few months.

He looked like garbage when I saw him. Very uncertain and all these short timing routes. Whis was atrocious at developing young players in TEN so this wasn't surprising. What a waste of a big arm..

I know this is not going to happen, because even as I type it it smacks of FF dreaming, but it seems to me Mettenberger + Norv Turner in Min would be a natural fit. The Vikes need a backup QB regardless. McCown comes with a price, Sanchez doesn't fit and he's Sanchez, Austin Davis and other journeymen would be who cares and it signals chucking the season. - Mett and his big arm with guru Norv and the WRs there would make sense IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the radio...

Fichtner (sp?) Steelers QB coach wanted Mett on draft day, wanted him when the Titans released him, and is excited to get him. Whis told him he knew role wasn't right for him in SD but wanted to give him a chance. QB coach really sounds excited. It didn't sound wholly about Mett. Is it boring to coach Ben, Gradkowski, and Landry? I don't want to present this wrong. He sounded excited like a teacher with a new student.

As far as Whis, no you dope. That is NOT good for him, it gives him the stigma of not making a team. If he isn't the worst at developing players....geesh

Users who are viewing this thread